Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

If you're near a Home Depot, perhaps making your own Pro Mix is an option worthy of considering? A grower named Farside05 shares the recipe HERE. It's just peat moss, perlite and some dolomite lime. The recipe may be off slightly, but you save $$$ on the materials so I guess that's the tradeoff.

Yea i wonder tho would his faux mix he makes work for highbrix?

Ixnay on the dolomite lime!

It's the opposite - we DON'T want dolomite - too much magnesium. The lime buffering should be from 95%+ limestone if you can find it.

You can definitely make your own Pro-Mix, though. It's just Canadian peat moss buffered with limestone, and then 27% perlite by volume. The pH buffering percentages can be found somewhere online.

Ixnay on the dolomite lime!

It's the opposite - we DON'T want dolomite - too much magnesium. The lime buffering should be from 95%+ limestone if you can find it.

You can definitely make your own Pro-Mix, though. It's just Canadian peat moss buffered with limestone, and then 27% perlite by volume. The pH buffering percentages can be found somewhere online.

I think i remember doc saying dnt use the dolomite when i first started out but i cud be wrong lol. Either way its good to know if worse comes to worse i can allways jus make my own pm for the kit. Cause its getting hard to source either the sunshine #4 or promix. Im starting to see less an less of them n more otherbrands or stuff that always has some dam kind of food in it. Tryn to get a blank soil around here is like trying to pull teeth from a dam gator :laugh:. But yea if i can jus make my own why not. Plus i think @farside05 ends up saving money making it his way versus buying a bale of pm. An i think has way more as well.

Does anybody know for certain if Pro Mix is buffered with limestone? In Farside's thread it says dolomite, and he said he read that on their site, and if true, then everybody using regular Pro Mix with their kit is using the dolomite.

Does anybody know for certain if Pro Mix is buffered with limestone? In Farside's thread it says dolomite, and he said he read that on their site, and if true, then everybody using regular Pro Mix with their kit is using the dolomite.

You're right - Pro-Mix is a mixture of both dolomitic and calcitic limestone. More calcitic is better.

Yes PM has Dolo., but not enough to effect the soil in a negative way.It actually brings a lil Mg. To the grow.A lil is ok but just a bit. When we add our Limestone (via Docs amendment) we are doing it for the Ca.To keep the Ca /Mg ratios correct for high brix. We need it to be approx. 7 to 1. Using Dolo to get our Ca would bring way too much Mg. into the mix.Cheers.

Do you know their ratio by chance?

I'm not sure that I ever got a percentage. :hmmmm: They say it's a blend. I had the good fortune to speak to one of their soil engineers back at the beginning, because it was hard to get Pro-Mix here then. They get peat from their various bogs, mix it together, then add the buffering agents. From that mix, they produce all their various products, with whatever additives they require. They all start with the same basic pH adjusted peat mix.

As I recall, the necessary blend for the buffering varies from bog to bog.

I spoke to one of their techs as well. They won’t share the ratios because its their proprietary recipe so in this economic structure that’s a fair enough thing I suppose :)

I made my own because I can’t get ProMix here in Australia. I only used crushed limestone powder (agricultural lime it’s called here), no dolomite. Took a few goes too get the amount ‘right’ (close enough to seem right ;) ). Intereseting that there’s a little dolomite in the proprietary blend and that it brings some Mg to the party. I had to use a touch of Snake Oil on a heavy feeder just recently (which was a success) maybe that’s part of why. Everything else has grown great in it, so yes, Blazin it’s totally possible to make your own.

Stonersplaining ppfd
66B11F00-F043-462C-9F7D-7C64762884DD.jpeg

Environment in check is a multi grow experience. The kit makes it easy so you don’t worry about the feeding and watering. You can focus on humidity and temp ratio(VPD). And you can focus on our light height and spectrum quality. I only have so much time to be in the room. Worry about deficiencies, mixing and pHing nutes. And most of all flushing and measuring runoff. All took up the time I had to dedicate to this hobby. Now I spend my time fiddling with the environment. 0time in the feed water BS ferts give you.
Several cases of quart jars high brix. Thanks doc. The science is what makes this system so easy. You know what to do and when and why and most importantly you can’t mess it up!!!
55606D37-D8F7-4996-800B-4F8661F6BD65.jpeg
C394CE1E-E57E-4C98-856E-FD3631F21934.jpeg

Stonersplaining ppfd
66B11F00-F043-462C-9F7D-7C64762884DD.jpeg

Environment in check is a multi grow experience. The kit makes it easy so you don’t worry about the feeding and watering. You can focus on humidity and temp ratio(VPD). And you can focus on our light height and spectrum quality. I only have so much time to be in the room. Worry about deficiencies, mixing and pHing nutes. And most of all flushing and measuring runoff. All took up the time I had to dedicate to this hobby. Now I spend my time fiddling with the environment. 0time in the feed water BS ferts give you.
Several cases of quart jars high brix. Thanks doc. The science is what makes this system so easy. You know what to do and when and why and most importantly you can’t mess it up!!!
55606D37-D8F7-4996-800B-4F8661F6BD65.jpeg
C394CE1E-E57E-4C98-856E-FD3631F21934.jpeg

Man this looks great congrats. What is this strain if u dnt mind me askn?

Also i found little chunks of glass or crystals or sumthn in my trans drench bottle. I havnt had it sitting in heat or even had it tht long so i was wondering if any1 knew if this is normal or does it mean my shit went bad some how or what lol? If any1 can or will help me out i would really appreciate it thank you.

Also i found little chunks of glass or crystals or sumthn in my trans drench bottle. I havnt had it sitting in heat or even had it tht long so i was wondering if any1 knew if this is normal or does it mean my shit went bad some how or what lol? If any1 can or will help me out i would really appreciate it thank you.

those are crystaliized epsom salts, or magnesium sulfate.

Not a problem. Add a few drops of Tea and watch them dissolve.

Thanks Doc...i was wondering wat that was too. Cheers my friend, enjoy the night . :high-five:

Yep. We've put the most mag into Transplant as is physically possible....and as you can see, perhaps just a tad more than is physically possible.

We could add water.....and dilute the product and make it bloom. Or we could add some acid, which would cause the bottle to explode. Or, we could put up with a few chunks every now and then, knowing that they'll dissolve quickly in water.

It's funny how people jump to the conclusion that somethings wrong....

No worriez Doc. Your products in the 'kit' are doing a marvelous job for ALL of us and i have ZERO worry of getting 'bad' kit stuff. One of the reasons i leave my 'sig' intact with all your /my grows is to let new members see all the success that's possible using your gear. Anyone thats been around here a while (Neiko , Gray and others) knows of your integrity , so.
cheers eh.. :headbanger:

those are crystaliized epsom salts, or magnesium sulfate.

Not a problem. Add a few drops of Tea and watch them dissolve.

Ok awesome i was like well i dnt think its gone bad cause my plants are still looking awesome lmao. An well it smells like shit even wen its still good so i cudnt really tell that way hahaha. But yea man thanx for the reply.

No worriez Doc. Your products in the 'kit' are doing a marvelous job for ALL of us and i have ZERO worry of getting 'bad' kit stuff. One of the reasons i leave my 'sig' intact with all your /my grows is to let new members see all the success that's possible using your gear. Anyone thats been around here a while (Neiko , Gray and others) knows of your integrity , so.
cheers eh.. :headbanger:

Oh yeah thts spot on. Ive never had better produce with veggies as i have using the kit an not to mention these buds are the cats pajamas i cant wait to let the fam try it out an go ok now u can have the stuff i grew outdoor :rofl: :rofl: . Lol no i cudnt do that 2 some one i would be pissed as hell some1 shows me a bunch of great ass buds then goes ok here u get the lower quality haha. Id be like wtf but yea thanx again guys once i finish trimming up the white alien buds illweigh it up n post a few pics b4 i jar it up.

MKULTRA from 420

Back
Top Bottom