Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Hi Doc, can you take a look at my journal when you get a chance. The mystery white substance on the leaves doesnt seem like its going to be much of any issue but there is something else going on

Thanks

Here's a before and after wash shot of some garlic lemon og :) not sure if same branch, hah

lemonog2.jpg

lemonog.jpg

Shit works, eh?

A couple pics I took today, 2 days since the brix + WA. She is still smelling nice and yummy.

She is a Ace Tikal, strawberry pheno from the breeder pack in week 8 of flower and vegged for probably 5 months :rofl: (was keeping it as a mom) Now it takes up almost the entire 5x5 tent :high-five:

DSC_8614_581DSC_8614_sm.JPG

DSC_8623_585DSC_8623_sm.JPG

DSC_8622_584DSC_8622_sm.JPG

Thanks Doc, I would never have plants like this at this point if it wasn't for you and your kit :high-five: :love:

Edit, Boogyman, damn dood those are some seriously nice buds, you should enter the BOTM if you haven't already :thumb:

I don't "defoliate" I prune.

I don't prune to remove leaves in order to stress the plant out so it makes more bud sites. I tried that, taking all fan leaves except the very top one on each branch and I had an amazing number of bud sites and a great yield....but brix was way down with expected lower quality.

It turns out that Foliar Feeding require Foliage....who could have imagined such a thing? Plants actually use their leaves to photosynthesize too....so they aren't a bunch of warts that need to be removed.

So, I prune from the bottom up, leaving the top 3, 4 or 5 nodes on each branch, depending on the strain. I also top early in veg in order to have 3-6 main tops, each of which is pruned like I mentioned.

This way, the plant opens up and light can penetrate right down to the soil.

You'll have much better quality leaving the leaves on the plant and foliar feeding. Those leaves will be frosty and will make nice joints too!

IMG_61484.jpg

Here's another update and a link to another journal I'm just starting today.

Here's a rootball of a Purple Caddy, at time of transplant. This is what we want to see...robust, slightly root bound....lots of pent up energy waiting to be released.

Picture_02474.jpg

Picture_02379.jpg

My current grow was just transplanted and the quoted information is helpful.

Doc. Regarding the quoted information... When you top a plant in the early vegetative phase at what node might you top a plant at?

My current grow was just transplanted and the quoted information is helpful.

Doc. Regarding the quoted information... When you top a plant in the early vegetative phase at what node might you top a plant at?

It really depends. I'm trying for 3-6 main tops, so I usually need at least 3 branches below the topping site. With seeds, it's easy: top at the second true node. With clones it can be a bit more complex, but if you make sure you have at least 3 branches with 5-7 bladed leaves at the apex of each branch below the pinch, you'll be fine.

Hey doc or anyone growing long running Sativas. The Tikal I posted is half way through week 8 and I expect her to go at least 12 weeks possibly as much as 16. Is there anything extra you do to keep them going strong for the extra time, like an extra recharge or topdress of EWC etc? She is nice and frosty already just want to keep her going strong and fatten those buds up :thumb:

Its history
25gal pot
Toddress of EWC and Recharge was around week3
CD was around week5
I give her some GE usually once a week and light amount of trans in the normal waterings in between.
Top dressed some epsom a week ago
Gave first brix + WA this week, the rest have all been normal

Thanks!

I cycled my 16-weeker between Energy and Cat for most of bloom. She got 5 total doses of Cat - the first 2, and then 3 more throughout the extended bloom.

It really depends. I'm trying for 3-6 main tops, so I usually need at least 3 branches below the topping site. With seeds, it's easy: top at the second true node. With clones it can be a bit more complex, but if you make sure you have at least 3 branches with 5-7 bladed leaves at the apex of each branch below the pinch, you'll be fine.

Hey Doc; loving your work. (I've changed my sig quote..).
When you say second true node; do you mean the second set of multi-bladed leaves, which some might consider the third node? Or, what I, until now, considered the third node! I'm about to FIM a couple plants and don't want to kill them!
Also, I have an auto outdoors about to finish; maybe two weeks, and it's VERY shiny.. The sugar leaves are curled at the edges with so many trichs...is this a bad thing? Seems like a good problem to have??? Just wondering about that.. From your journal, I gather you know a LOT about trichomes...
Cheers.

Hey doc or anyone growing long running Sativas. The Tikal I posted is half way through week 8 and I expect her to go at least 12 weeks possibly as much as 16. Is there anything extra you do to keep them going strong for the extra time, like an extra recharge or topdress of EWC etc? She is nice and frosty already just want to keep her going strong and fatten those buds up :thumb:

Its history
25gal pot
Toddress of EWC and Recharge was around week3
CD was around week5
I give her some GE usually once a week and light amount of trans in the normal waterings in between.
Top dressed some epsom a week ago
Gave first brix + WA this week, the rest have all been normal

Thanks!

Just keep it healthy like you're doing. EWC on top is a good idea. Transplant waterings are also helpful. You'll do great like always. Cat Drench is mostly Transplant too....

Hey Doc; loving your work. (I've changed my sig quote..).
When you say second true node; do you mean the second set of multi-bladed leaves, which some might consider the third node? Or, what I, until now, considered the third node! I'm about to FIM a couple plants and don't want to kill them!
Also, I have an auto outdoors about to finish; maybe two weeks, and it's VERY shiny.. The sugar leaves are curled at the edges with so many trichs...is this a bad thing? Seems like a good problem to have??? Just wondering about that.. From your journal, I gather you know a LOT about trichomes...
Cheers.

When the leaves are so frosty they curl you've done a good job.

Yes, a true node features 5 bladed leaves on the branches above and below. Could be the third, fourth or even fifth actual node, it all depends on when the 3 bladed leaves give way to 5.

Love the Archer quotes!

When the leaves are so frosty they curl you've done a good job.

Yes, a true node features 5 bladed leaves on the branches above and below. Could be the third, fourth or even fifth actual node, it all depends on when the 3 bladed leaves give way to 5.

Love the Archer quotes!

Awesome thanks! Yeah I am happy with my soil, although I've started using much more coco. Since I can't quite afford your kit at the moment, and am still learning (just started first indoor grow), I've "borrowed" a few ideas from you, namely the high calcium and mineral amendments.. Gypsum, lime, powdered eggshell, rock dust, EWC, pinch of epsom in the mix.. Then top-dress with EWC etc..I still use compost, which I know you don't like for Brix, the next batch of which will have a LOT more carbon.. All my garden seems to like my soil (except my tomatoes, for some reason but I think I've sussed it out), which I'm very encouraged by. I'm about to FIM my first ever indoor plants at the third or fourth actual leaf set, as I only plan to veg for 3-4 weeks due to lack of space and a surplus of impatience, and want them in their flowering pot for at least a week before flip... Now I'm not so sure....

Hey Gov. top of the day to ya brotha! Ya , with the foliers, i find it best to do it a day or two after their drinks, when the soil has some moisture in it. others may and prolly will say different , but that's when i spray. cheers bud!

Do you spray both foilers on the same day now?

Do you spray both foilers on the same day now?

No, i don't spray De Stress at all at this point....they don't need it...they're not stressed. Only spray Brix, like i said a day or two after their drink. try to spray with a very fine mist and concentrate on the under side of the leaves with a lil on top once you've got the undersides good. I stop using DeStress once all the LST and topping (if any) is finished. Brix is sprayed as long as i can , up to chop, but beware of soaking the colas with too much water late in bloom, like i said, a very fine mist is best, and not much,...you don't want to soak them, just lightly mist them OK!

No, i don't spray De Stress at all at this point....they don't need it...they're not stressed. Only spray Brix, like i said a day or two after their drink. try to spray with a very fine mist and concentrate on the under side of the leaves with a lil on top once you've got the undersides good. I stop using DeStress once all the LST and topping (if any) is finished. Brix is sprayed as long as i can , up to chop, but beware of soaking the colas with too much water late in bloom, like i said, a very fine mist is best, and not much,...you don't want to soak them, just lightly mist them OK!

I figured you were talking about these plants in late stage, but wanted to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom