Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

So I was just looking at the genetics of SSH and a lot of it is Afghani and south/Central American genetics. Wouldn't all of these see a large amount of sun in their natural regions?

Sent from my Pixel using 420

I have about 7ft of vertical space. About how much do they stretch? 3x their height? 4x?

With that strain , a lot depends on what pheno you get. The best way , to be safe is do what Doc suggested or grow them for a couple weeks under 16/8 to see how they are, then start shortening their days by 1/2 hr /week until it's at 11/13. My friend grows SSH , but from a shorter, fatter pheno and he grows them for about a month before he flips. The buds and colas are quite impressive , big , knarley looking buds. His has NO flavor though, cuz he grows in water with chem nutes. SSH grown indoors in water , compared to outside , in dirt , is completely different looking and tasting, with the outdoor much nicer, of course. just curious , as to why you chose this strain ? Cheers. ...hey Gang...hope everyone is having a great day!:Namaste:

With that strain , a lot depends on what pheno you get. The best way , to be safe is do what Doc suggested or grow them for a couple weeks under 16/8 to see how they are, then start shortening their days by 1/2 hr /week until it's at 11/13. My friend grows SSH , but from a shorter, fatter pheno and he grows them for about a month before he flips. The buds and colas are quite impressive , big , knarley looking buds. His has NO flavor though, cuz he grows in water with chem nutes. SSH grown indoors in water , compared to outside , in dirt , is completely different looking and tasting, with the outdoor much nicer, of course. just curious , as to why you chose this strain ? Cheers. ...hey Gang...hope everyone is having a great day!:Namaste:
I chose this strain because I got a cheap 1/8th because it had mature seeds in it. Basically just stumbled upon them and buying seeds online is really expensive.

Strains like that never stop growing sometimes. The best way to grow them, IMO, is 11/13 from seed. Or, start 12/12 from seed and then go to 11/13 a month later.

Vegging them on 16 to 18 hours of light produces conditions which these strains would NEVER see in the wild, and it causes them to do wild things.....like single bladed leaves and cola's that grow longer, not fatter, etc. Smoke is epic, despite weirdness.

Yeah, this is my advice too. Unless yours is obviously Afghan-leaning, get it into bloom ASAP - as in yesterday! :cheesygrinsmiley: It could easily go 16-18 weeks in bloom. Almost all the SSHs I've seen have been tall and leggy, and if that kind of plant doesn't have the headroom it likes, things won't be very pretty. Don't try to train a plant like an SSH - they grow best as long cola spears. So that means you have to bloom them early and be patient. :cheesygrinsmiley: Ditto on the reduced daylength after midbloom - I've run plants on as little as 9 hours of daylight at the finish.

The outdoor ones I've seen have been spectacular! But they were very happily 15+ feet tall, :straightface:

Yeah, this is my advice too. Unless yours is obviously Afghan-leaning, get it into bloom ASAP - as in yesterday! :cheesygrinsmiley: It could easily go 16-18 weeks in bloom. Almost all the SSHs I've seen have been tall and leggy, and if that kind of plant doesn't have the headroom it likes, things won't be very pretty. Don't try to train a plant like an SSH - they grow best as long cola spears. So that means you have to bloom them early and be patient. :cheesygrinsmiley: Ditto on the reduced daylength after midbloom - I've run plants on as little as 9 hours of daylight at the finish.

The outdoor ones I've seen have been spectacular! But they were very happily 15+ feet tall, :straightface:
So start from seed at 12/12 6 weeks later turn it down to 11/13?

So start from seed at 12/12 6 weeks later turn it down to 11/13?

Roughly, yes. Or 11/13 from the start, and then to 10/14 later. You want it blooming as early as you can. Even at 11/13 it may take longer than 6 weeks to show pistils. Top it early if you want. 4 tops would be good.

You'll know better when it starts to grow.

Roughly, yes. Or 11/13 from the start, and then to 10/14 later. You want it blooming as early as you can. Even at 11/13 it may take longer than 6 weeks to show pistils. Top it early if you want. 4 tops would be good.

You'll know better when it starts to grow.
Sweet, thanks Gray

If you are having problems with stretching you can pinch each top you have. Don't pinch off, just a real good bruise. Do it at about the 10th day of flower. Not only does this slow the stretch it encourages fruiting on the lower branches. This works very well for me.

duggan, just curious regarding the different phenos and, knowing that Sativa's can go l-o-n-g, whether a change in the light schedule this late in the game would help speed things up. I am getting what appears to be necrosis on the upper most leaves on both plants. My research points to light stress or burn (LEDs). Any advice on finishing them off would be appreciated.

duggan, just curious regarding the different phenos and, knowing that Sativa's can go l-o-n-g, whether a change in the light schedule this late in the game would help speed things up. I am getting what appears to be necrosis on the upper most leaves on both plants. My research points to light stress or burn (LEDs). Any advice on finishing them off would be appreciated.

Are you in Kit soil? If so, I had a similar issue recently which I believe was partly due to me raising my plant to 24" below my Goliath coupled with low rh and high heat. I lowered the plant and Doc had me get temps down to about 77-79 at lights on and rh of 50 and after 4 days I removesd all of the ugly leaves and gave a rescue drench. Looking good so far.

Before and after pics.

IMG_20170119_203625_1.jpg

IMG_20170119_203636_1.jpg

IMG_20170124_194926.jpg

IMG_20170124_194942.jpg

IMG_20170124_195056.jpg

weenmeoff, yes, plants are in Doc's HB soil - second run. My leaves look similar to those in your first pic. As I stated, the wild one grew into the lights (Dorm Grow 450 s with a 90w ufo. ) I lowered them as much as possible but they're closer than the 16" recommended by the manufacturer. My day temps are right around 78-80. Night upper 60- low 70s. RH is 40ish.

Tomorrow I harvest the last non-SSH plant. This will allow me to remove my tray/stand, which will allow more separation from the light. Today they received a feeding with E, T and ¼ Tp. I'll give some thought to a rescue drench next. Doc, I'd appreciate you chiming in here if you're reading this.

Yeah, Medman, cut the daylight any time you want - it'll help shorten bloom, fer shure. :thumb:

weenmeoff, yes, plants are in Doc's HB soil - second run. My leaves look similar to those in your first pic. As I stated, the wild one grew into the lights (Dorm Grow 450 s with a 90w ufo. ) I lowered them as much as possible but they're closer than the 16" recommended by the manufacturer. My day temps are right around 78-80. Night upper 60- low 70s. RH is 40ish.

Tomorrow I harvest the last non-SSH plant. This will allow me to remove my tray/stand, which will allow more separation from the light. Today they received a feeding with E, T and ¼ Tp. I'll give some thought to a rescue drench next. Doc, I'd appreciate you chiming in here if you're reading this.

Shorten up the photoperiod. I wouldn't rescue drench it just yet....they're light feeders usually.

Next time start blooming as soon as the clone is rooted, or bloom from seed.

Yes MedMan...switch to 11/13 or 10 /14 right now...that will help them finish. You could also make her nights a lil cooler...this simulates the cold fall nights they get and helps too! Cheers eh!:high-five:

Today I watered everyone that needed it in bloom with:

Water, 5 mils Tea and 1/2 oz Transplant in 10 gallons of water.
Last night I foliar sprayed with DeStress.

Veg: dunked in a solution of 1 oz Growth Energy, 5 mils Tea in 5 gallons of water. This was poured into two buckets and the plants were soaked. About half the water was left over, hence the double strength drench. I'll save that for a day and use it tomorrow on some other plants that need it.

Foliar sprayed veg with DeStress. Also sprayed clones.

Here's what we're dealing with:

IMG_88412.jpg
IMG_88401.JPG
IMG_88392.jpg

These are really healthy looking plants! I'm a bit new but I'm not familiar with your feeding regimen. What nutrients are you using?

Peace

Back
Top Bottom