Duggan Does Purple Envy, Star Pupil & Black Cherry Punch With Doc's Gear!

Thanks Krip but that video was super annoying, he gave us little to no info except to say boost are 20% less and last a little longer.

Hack, I honestly don't remember where on the mag I read it but someone warned of using rice, I'm very sorry but I don't remember the reason but am pretty certain @SweetSue was in on that convo.

Cheers Krip, good share ...
Just briefly searched for boveda packs absorbing flavor and the science people say it isn't possible. They are supposed to even retain more terpenes which is a reason the jar doesn't reek when you open it, if your smelling it the Terps are evaporating.
this makes sense to me and what the guy in that video says about the people who claim is does reduce aroma absolutely supports that too. He says that they say the smell is diminished “until you break it up again” - ie breaking up the bud releases the smell. So that would be right for if the packs help the herb retain the terps. So their ‘argument’ is actually in support of the packs helping to retain.

Anyhoo... id always thought :hmmmm: that Bovedas were ideally for long term storage, once things are close to stable.

Thanks Krip but that video was super annoying, he gave us little to no info except to say boost are 20% less and last a little longer.

Hack, I honestly don't remember where on the mag I read it but someone warned of using rice, I'm very sorry but I don't remember the reason but am pretty certain @SweetSue was in on that convo.

Right at around the 5:00 mark he also talks about the taste/smell with the Boveda. He comments that he hasn't really noticed it personally but "understands" what people are talking about.

Right at around the 5:00 mark he also talks about the taste/smell with the Boveda. He comments that he hasn't really noticed it personally but "understands" what people are talking about.

I know, that is what I was waiting for and was hoping for a more definitive distinction between the 2. I'm already well invested in boveda packs so will stick with them. He waffled a lot, ha!:rofl:

I know, that is what I was waiting for and was hoping for a more definitive distinction between the 2. I'm already well invested in boveda packs so will stick with them. He waffled a lot, ha!:rofl:

Yeah, I agree he was kind of annoying and took a long time to not give that much info. I've only used Boveda's and have not noticed any issues, but never really done a comparison either. I may give the Integra's a shot next, though. I wasn't even aware of them until I read the above posts! ;)

Thanks everyone for the input! I think it'd be really funny to bring this discussion over to that thread on IG, it could get ugly, ha! :rofl:

Ive only done 1 low and slow and the response from the boss was it was amazing!

@Graytail is refrigerated storage just what it sounds like, put your cured weed in the fridge? Any special prep or anything I need to know?

:passitleft:

I seem to remember that Ziggs stashed some low and slow in the back the fridge and left it there for months. He said it was spectacular when he finally fished it out. I"ve been thinking that a small fridge would be a smart investment for curing, so why not just store the jarred stuff in there too. :slide:

Im writing this as i am back on page 83 so if some of what I say has been covered please forgive me.

From what I have seen brought up, the biggest issue with wet trimming is that the leaves release VOCs (volatile organic compounds) when they get cut while still alive. This then leads to the terps and flavor getting degraded. I used to wet trim only for the longest time but for the last year I would say I have since switched to dry trimming. I used to think I saved time by wet trimming but honestly it takes me about the same amount of time, if not less since I switched to dry trimming. I have also noticed that i do have better smelling produce.

At this point I will cut my plants whole and hang dry for 5 to 8 days typically (depending on how quickly they dry) and then chop the plant up into manageable pieces and put them in a turkey bag that I then put into a bucket with a gamma lid on. I will burp it as if I am jar curing and once it is holding a steady moisture I will leave it be and just open it here and there. I will leave it in the bucket until I have time to trim it. If I have time right as soon as it is dry from hanging I will trim it and jar it as usual, but with the buckets, no time to trim right off is no big deal. After I find time to trim I will trim it up and jar it.

The short of it is, I have tried both ways and for me dry trimming works best. If you had asked me even a year and a half ago though I would have adamantly stood on the wet trimming side of the debate.

Wow! You guys go through so much to dry and cure. I grow, dry, jar, and forget. Seems the longer I forget the better it is.

Graytail...... darn it all, now I'll have to get a small fridge once I relocate. It really hadn't occured to me to store them in the fridge. Most of what I grow gets converted to medicine almost immediately. I'm continuiously enthralled with how so many manage to hang onto their harvests. Lol!

I keep leaning more to fermentation. The changes are too delicious and the smoke too smooth. Storage is simplicity itself. I drop them in a jar and leave them be.

About the rice..... There's definately some absorbtion of terpenes when you're using rice. I know that because I use rice balls to finish off my low and slo and I can smell it every time. Terpenes are isomers, lighter than air, so they'll go drifting off at the slightest provocation. I was intrigued to hear that they'd be settled by a Boveda pack in the jar. Nice!

And thank you Neiko, for sharing that info on the effects of the wet trim. I'll do even less trim for my low and slo from now on, maybe start cutting the branches in pieces with buds still attached. That'll slow the process down, surely, but might also retain more terps.

Question is, will the retention be worth the effort? At what point are we chasing our own tails?

Just an after thought, if the terpenes are lighter than air and float around when provoked what does it matter what you use anyway... It would seem that you just dont wanna move it or bump it very much huh... LOL IDK I dont like anything touching by bud so I hang the teabag... It does however seem that no matter what you do you gonna lose some terpenes I just find that spending money on something as simple as drying agents for curing could be better spent... Green days all....

I know Duggan doesn't mind a share.
Here is a bud about 1 week after lo and slo in the fridge.
click for full size
CIMG9421.jpg

Edit: like I said, I have shaggy buds, tehehehehe:laugh:

The way I understand it is that Bovedas contain salt which can rob the scent of the weed.

Like KB I have been using the Integra Boost.

I have to say that the most recent buds that I used the Integra packets on are more flavorful and have more terps. Can I say it was solely the packets? No, but it's a small investment to test for a better end result.
I seem to remember that Ziggs stashed some low and slow in the back the fridge and left it there for months. He said it was spectacular when he finally fished it out. I"ve been thinking that a small fridge would be a smart investment for curing, so why not just store the jarred stuff in there too. :slide:
This reminds me I stashed some sensitive skunk in my mini for low and slow and honestly forgot about it. Probably going on 2 months ,was going to use if for oil if it was terrible. Opened the bag yesterday,mmmmm skunky goodness. Cracked open a bud, yup terpy :passitleft:

I got a question for all you outdoor photo growers out there, leaves are yellowing on the sativa Amnesia Lemon Pie it also happened with my sativa Strawberry Haze last year. Is this something that is common with the sativas? Trimming sucks wet or dry. You can recharge the Boveda so they last twice as long\

Hey Doogs. I want to pose this question here since you get more traffic, I hope that is ok.

Yesterday on IG I learned about Dry trimming over wet trimming. The consensus over there was dry is much better for flavor and terp retention. So they chop the plant, let dry and then trim. Does anyone here do that? Thoughts?

Dry trimming vs wet trimming?

I thought leaving the leaves on would make the bus smelllike hay but they were saying the opposite.

Tagging a few people here @SweetSue. @TheGreenYeti. @Graytail. @overlord @Stage @Doc Bud
Sorry I know I wasnt tagged ween.... I've done both. Not sure ones "better" it's really an opinion thing.

I know some people agree around here, the sugar leaves and the buds often have different flavors. So leaving the leaves can maybe transfer some of that to buds?

I think wet trimming is wayyyyy easier if you want a photogenic nug. But its preference, different strokes for different folks, eh?

Thanks Dabs! I just tagged a few. My last wrt trim session for 18zips took all day long, like 11-12 hours so dry trimming can'tbe that much more work. I'm going to do some wet, dry and low and slow this time and compare. I'll report back. I really like the idea of how Neiko does it, sounds easier. I don't need bag appeal as its all for the boss. Anything we share is oil.

:passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom