Fun In The Sun 2016 - Tiger - Ape - Pitbull - Gorilla & More - Run Wild

Oh Great Jeebus, I am so sick of trimming! It does have its rewards but...
I managed a couple of pretty good pictures of Gorilla Glue all trimmed up.

GG4_Buds-1.jpg
GG4_Buds-2.jpg

you do it so well, Major!! (+) reps! :)

Some of the frostiest outdoor to date major, that gorilla glue is sure something i have to try next:cheer: and i hope i can get it close to what you got there (master work)

Does look finger licking good from here. Keepem Green
Hey Major, good day my brotha! That nug there...NOTM! Have a great day sir!:high-five:

:thanks: It smells and tastes great, but I don't think I have a chance in the NotM contest these days unless it has purple in it. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I'm going to round up and trim a sample nug of each strain for glamour shots. I've also refined my "Shake 'N' Bake" technique a little and hope to get a good picture of the end product. Once that is done, I think I'll put this journal to bed. Trimmed bud, kief and rosin, with plenty being given away and pounds in the garden I'll never harvest (or have to trim).
I'm a happy camper! :yahoo: Have a great weekend!

:thanks: It smells and tastes great, but I don't think I have a chance in the NotM contest these days unless it has purple in it. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Does purple actually make for better smoke or is it just the wow factor that placebos the smoker into thinking its better? Ive grown some purple flowers and green flowers of the same plant and personally, I thought there wasnt any difference.

Does purple actually make for better smoke or is it just the wow factor that placebos the smoker into thinking its better? Ive grown some purple flowers and green flowers of the same plant and personally, I thought there wasnt any difference.

I believe it is just "wow factor", but must admit I've never compared. The Pit Bull I grew last year had plenty of purple on the leaves but the trimmed nugs, not so much. The Liberty Haze this time around has both purple and green buds, but I can't say I'm impressed ... yet. It is stony but I don't care for the smell or flavor - not bad, but not good either. Very bland. I'm going to give it some time to cure and see what I see.

tard, I believe the purple comment he made was for NOTM. as far as I know 'purple' doesn't make a different smoke. there are different phenos of the same strain with different colors..due to different terpenes ;) -- colors, smells, flavors..

temps, light schedule, drying and curing temps, etc all play a role in the terps you get, keep and enjoy.
:)

Update (Week 37 / Bloom Week 10-ish)
Wrap Party & Postmortem

Maybe it's the loss of daylight savings time. Maybe it's the election. Maybe it's because it's harvest and trim-your-butt-off time. Or maybe it's just the growers and journals I follow, but the forum has been quiet the past week or two. Anyway, it's time to put a fork in this journal 'cuz it's done.

Before I close it out I want to say a big :thanks: to all of you who've followed along. Once again, I greatly appreciate the support, help and advice I've received.
Thanks also to :420: for giving us this place to share knowledge, friendships, and even those not-so-good times.

One last stroll down to the boneyard (AKA garden).
Boneyard-1_11-05-16.jpg
Boneyard-4_11-05-16.jpg
Boneyard-GT_11-05-16.jpg

The two sativas are up first. They did give me plenty of small buds. They obviously could have gone much longer (just not where I live). :cheesygrinsmiley: Pounds of buds are in the compost pile due to mold.

Golden Tiger(+)
GT_Bud-1_11-05-16.jpg

Zamaldelica(+)
ZD_Bud-4_11-05-16.jpg

Liberty Haze
Beautiful colors on this gal. Pretty stony buzz, but the smell and flavor just aren't there. Something never quite worked with this strain. Almost no visible sugar even on the biggest and most mature flowers. :(
LH_Bud-3_11-05-16.jpg

The photos below were taken in morning light. The colors came out with a bit more of a yellow/orange tint than the photos above.

Ace of Spades
I've grown this several times. It is an easy plant to grow with excellent yield. A good mix of sativa and indica with a nice balanced buzz. Only about 15% THC, but I like to have it around.
AS_Bud-1_11-05-16.jpg

Grape Ape x Sensi Star
I've grown this a few times. This is the first time I've been happy with the results. Very tasty considering it has no real cure yet.
GASS_Bud-1_11-05-16.jpg

Gorilla Glue #4
A new strain for me. Very resinous and sticky. This is the first plant I've grown where I was able to get back-to-back brix readings of 25 (!!!). The buds are a bit leafy but heavy and covered with trichomes. I let her go as long as possible and ended up with bud rot/mold on about a dozen colas. The loss was small so I think I chopped her with a good compromise of too early/too late. My favorite plant this round. She is still curing but holding on to the lemon-mint smell and taste. The buds are almost too sticky to make dry sift from. The trichomes break off but end up stuck to the leaves even with dry ice. A GREAT strain for rosin.
GG4_Bud-1_11-05-16.jpg

GG4_Bud-2_11-05-16.jpg

Dry sift
I did make a little GG4 dry sift. None of the close-up/micro pictures came out good enough to use.
Kief-1_11-05-16.jpg
Kief-3_11-05-16.jpg

My primary goal this year was to see if I could make a good grow medium from inexpensive, local ingredients. I also wanted the soil amended so I had minimal additional nutrients to mess with during the grow. In this respect I exceeded expectations. The soil is mostly sawdust and pumice (at a cost of $30 per cubic yard). The organic amendments worked really well for AS and GG4. I'm not sure what happened to LH and both ZD and GT appeared to have a mild deficiency or lock-out that started during early bloom. Brix readings fr all plants were as good, or better than any I've had in the past, with one exception: LH. I will say amended soil is as easy as it gets: water plants as needed. Nothing to measure. Nothing to mix. Nothing to spray.

My plant support was poor and will definitely change next time. I will probably stick to quicker strains for my outdoor grows. I didn't like the hassle, increased humidity and additional bugs that came along with the cover I used. My neighbor has a beautiful high tunnel that kept his plants dry but he had worse problems with mold and he has a lot of PM. I'm going to take my chances and let the girls play outside next year.

I transplanted too deep this time and suffered branch rot on one plant. Lesson learned. I like transplanting for container grows, but when going in the ground, I'm convinced it is not a good idea. The root bound plants never grow the big strong tap roots they otherwise would. It's almost like transplanting an "auto". Next summer, seeds either go directly into the ground, or get transplanted early w/o being root bound. We'll see if it is a good idea.

I'm also done with BIG plants. Too much work for this lazy grower and I end up throwing most of it away anyway. Quality over quantity will be my focus. I won't be doing an indoor grow this winter so no journaling. But I will be looking over your shoulder trying to learn as much as possible.

Congrat's to all the newly legal states this morning. The dominoes are falling so keep the faith!

Thanks again gang! See ya around the forum. :Namaste:

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom