Mega Crop opinions

You might get away with that but it depends on the water and media. In a well buffered soil and water with low total alkalinity it may be ok. If anyone wants to run an experiment without ph adjusting that's their business. I use coco so adjust every time.
I never PH anything :popcorn:

it's fine... @VetSmoke85 had a NL auto that looked great
Cheers. To add to that, I've only used MC for one grow with 3 autoflowers. They loved it. Started off light and built up to 5g/4L. All I added was some biobizz top-max through flower.

That was with the old MC formula. I've just got a 1kg bag that's the new new new formula for my current grow so we'll see how that goes. Lots of guys here really experienced using MC. @Carcass @13goody13 I believe are all still using MC.

Nice! You're in some kind of soil or buffered soilless I take it? My MC solution comes out around 6.5 - 6.7 so haven't felt comfortable running with that in coco. And my grow space is too small to be experimenting much lol

Started off light and built up to 5g/4L.
i have been using m.c. for a while now,, vet,, you are the only other folk i have seen convert to metric,,

and that's why i noticed this

according to my calculations, which i did a while ago, and might need to do again,,

5g per 4ltrs is very light.

max strength for m.c. according to instructions is 6.35 grams per 4 liters,, or, (my numbers, 12.7g per 8ltrs)

i am currently up to 14 grams per 8 liters for max flowering,, and plants seem quite happy,, thi i have a bit of leaf curl,, which could be too much n

btw,, original m.c. had balls,, then they did away with the balls and found that was not good, so version three has the balls back

i think the above line is accurate but not positive

indeed,, and so on,,

i had all the seemingly common problems when feeding less than 12.7g/8ltr

leaf yellowing and looking ugly,, till i upped the feed, and now much happier, tho as mentioned, a bit o under leaf curl,, which i am trying to fix.

i also use just a bit of cal/mag in an inbetween watering and a foliar spray

and i am in hempy,

and happy :thumb:

i have been using m.c. for a while now,, vet,, you are the only other folk i have seen convert to metric,,

and that's why i noticed this

according to my calculations, which i did a while ago, and might need to do again,,

5g per 4ltrs is very light.
Yeah imperial just confuses me. I remember I started light with them being autoflowers, and they seemed happy with what they were on so I left it. Haven't decided what I'm going to start this photo on. She hasn't been fed anything but bio-silicon for a couple of weeks after some issues early on. Think my soil was a bit hot after adding worm castings.

I pH down to 6.2
Have tried with/without/higher/lower. My tap water is extremely alkaline (8.0ish) and after mixing in MC it’s still sitting at about 6.7, and I do bring it down.
It probably works in most cases without worrying about pH, but not for me.
Otherwise MC is about as cheap and easy as it gets. Some growers like @Grand Daddy Black say it leaves them almost too little to worry about. As a lazy guy, I like that.

Nice! You're in some kind of soil or buffered soilless I take it? My MC solution comes out around 6.5 - 6.7 so haven't felt comfortable running with that in coco. And my grow space is too small to be experimenting much lol

Those look nice :yummy: yeah, I'm in FFOF, I chose it cuz it does buffer, and it's the cheapest at my local shop :rofl:
You non-phers are making me jealous. Might have to try it someday :ganjamon:
I use my tap water...it's sets about 7.2 by itself, with nutrients it's down to 6.5...I've never checked it with the mega crop...don't have a PH pen anymore, or can't find it :rofl::popcorn:

Those look nice :yummy: yeah, I'm in FFOF, I chose it cuz it does buffer, and it's the cheapest at my local shop :rofl:

I use my tap water...it's sets about 7.2 by itself, with nutrients it's down to 6.5...I've never checked it with the mega crop...don't have a PH pen anymore, or can't find it :rofl::popcorn:
Thanks, they are smelling up the house just the way I like lol.... right on, my tap (well) water is right around 8.0 and 100ppm.

I thought you just weighed the MC out grams per gallon without having to adjust ph.... obviously I‘ve never ran it myself

nice! question: i use a ph meter. but i would like to switch over to ph drops, are they accurate enough? i just don't wanna deal with calibrating the pen. also, can i use MG with terra canna professional as medium=

Disclaimer: The quotes above should be reversed but I can't figure out how to do that at this point as I'm high. :cheesygrinsmiley:

When you use MC with Pro-Mix or another soilless mix (I think), you don't need to pH. I just completed my first photo grow using nothing but MC and ProMix and never pHed at all based on what @InTheShed said. If you don't know InTheShed, he's a good 420 member to get to know as he has a lot of experience with lots of different growing-related tasks as well having knowledge on using it topically or ingesting it as an oil:love:

Thanks for the shout HG! I'm assuming that 420liam meant MC (MG is Miracle Grow), but no nutrients need to be pH adjusted in a buffered medium, from ProMix to Fox Farms to Sunshine Mix to Terra Canna to a well made organic soil. That's not down to MC, it's down to the substrate. Only hydro/coco growers need to keep their pH in range as there is nothing to buffer the pH.

As PE mentioned on page 1:
In a well buffered soil and water with low total alkalinity it may be ok.
Water with high alkalinity content (not high pH) and nutrients with all of one type of nitrogen or another (like MC) will cause your medium's pH to drift over time. MC can cause upward drift because it's almost entirely nitrate-based, so that's something to watch out for as the grow goes on.

More info on pH shift caused by nitrogen and water here!

Some of what folks see with MC in flower might be related to pH shift of the substrate rather than an actual need for more of some nutrient, so it's always a good idea to do a slurry test of your medium when unexpected issues turn up.

I've had to adjust the pH of my ProMix because I use MC exclusively. And that adjustment is not done by pH'ing the nutes!

Here's one of my current plants on 4.5g/gallon of MC only:

indeed,, and so on,,

i had all the seemingly common problems when feeding less than 12.7g/8ltr

leaf yellowing and looking ugly,, till i upped the feed, and now much happier, tho as mentioned, a bit o under leaf curl,, which i am trying to fix.

i also use just a bit of cal/mag in an inbetween watering and a foliar spray

and i am in hempy,

and happy :thumb:
I'm running MC similar to you. I'm at 5 gr. per gal. but I'm adding 2 ml. of CalMag & 3 ml. of Terpinator so far with 1 week of Veg left. Upping to 5.5 gr. & 4 ml. Terp. next feeding. I feed every time. I pH to 6.4 (just because I like to be safe).

Has anyone heard if any of the versions of MC have been bad batches, or somehow crappier than other versions? The plants here look nice. I’ve seen a couple MC users with great looking plants, some with mediocre ones.

I’m trying to think of a reason why Mega Crop has seemed so underwhelming for me. I feel like I’ve kicked at the mega crop can in most possible ways now. Feeding more, feeding less, with and without calmag, with and without added oyster shell, occasional flushing, etc. My plants and finished bud have just been mediocre at best, and usually worse. Mega Crop has got me by for the last year, so I can’t really hate it, but I sure don’t feel much love for the stuff.
Pretty much any other nutrients I grew with in the past have given me nicer plants.

I like having nice plants.

Now that I stopped using it as of a few weeks ago, veg growth is faster and healthier, and the flowering plants are losing the deficiencies and are vibrant and happy looking again, and even smell way better. .

I’ve been mailing the mega crop away to forum members. I’m saving enough to do one last kick at the can. Some last side by side experiments, which will be in my usual Promix HP with myco, using rainwater.
High/low feedings, calmag vs no-calmag, maybe some added oyster shell for calcium.

If anyone has any thoughts about this post, or experiments they think I should try then let me know. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom