New City Grower 3.5 - Our Perpetual Grow - Continued

I'm a little late myself, but need to soak up all of this knowledge so freely offered. I started doing some research and found this thread, thanks to WeaselCracker.

I want to try a grow out of a large porcelain beer stein, I'm waiting for a diamond tipped drill bit to bore some holes in the bottom for drainage and it sounds like it might be a good idea to poke a few in the sides as well. (Yup, don't drink much beer anymore :)

I have a lot of reading to catch up on... see ya all later.
:thanks:

Beaver,
You may want to rethink using a stein. Most of the European ones contain a lot of lead that leaches out rather easily with something as simple as coffee. I have no idea if or how much a plant would take up if any. Though lead oxide is absorbed rather easily though the skin.

Best

I taught ceramics for several years and we never used lead based glazes on eating or drinking items. Heat from warm food will cause it to leach out, but things at room temps shouldn't be a problem. A lot of Mexican made dinnerware used/or still uses lead based glazes. Usually bright reds are achieved with them, but you can get nearly the same effect with cupric oxide glazes. If the interior of the stein is white, you should be fine.
HOZ

Party at Reg's house! Everyone come he won't mind. :party::party::party:

Dr John Jacob Jinglehimer Schmidtz HNIMNT
;)

:woohoo: We don't even have to be quiet. :laughtwo:

HOZ,

The glaze I was thinking of was the dull greens and grays of the German bar steins.

The only reason I know is a bench chemist friend had OHSA called in because an assistant was getting sick at work. They chased it down to lead poisoning from a beer stein she keep hot coffee going in while she worked.

Best,
canyon

Hey Canyon,
Here is the stein I'd like to try it with. No holes all the way through it yet so I don't need to continue, but would like to. Maybe I'll just put a clone in it, then if it leaches into the plant I won't be out anything, unless it would be unsafe to consume the med.
It is only a liter though, maybe it's not big enough?
Bass1.jpg
Bass2.jpg

Beaver,
It sounds like 'The Grow' is mostly a novelty and a cool one at that. You can always toss the plant or clone it. Most likely safe anyway.

Hozona will probably know more from the markings.

Otherwise, maybe E B** and and something nice from a dispensary.

I never know
canyon

Yes, it is a novelty for sure. I had been thinking about trying one of these 2L grows and thats about the time I found the handle broke off this stein that had been in storage. A little epoxy and it should be good for this project. Hmmm, I've got a bunch of them... maybe Christmas gifts:thumb:

Hey Canyon,
Here is the stein I'd like to try it with. No holes all the way through it yet so I don't need to continue, but would like to. Maybe I'll just put a clone in it, then if it leaches into the plant I won't be out anything, unless it would be unsafe to consume the med.
It is only a liter though, maybe it's not big enough?
Like I said before, warm food or drink are a no no on lead based glazed ware, Canyon's friend was drinking warm beverage and therefor got sick. If your stein is white, off-white inside it shouldn't be a problem. If you were heating your nutes :rofl: it could be a problem. :cheesygrinsmiley: The date 1995? if so Europeans adopted lead free standard before then so it should be fine.
Beaver,
It sounds like 'The Grow' is mostly a novelty and a cool one at that. You can always toss the plant or clone it. Most likely safe anyway.
Hozona will probably know more from the markings.

The markings don't mean as much (other than the date) as the color inside. Most white, off-white glazes don't use lead as their fluxing agent. I did a little more research and think if he is going to drill holes in the stein, it could be a problem, but after 1985 I think it's OK yo proceed as planned.
HOZ

Like I said before, warm food or drink are a no no on lead based glazed ware, Canyon's friend was drinking warm beverage and therefor got sick. If your stein is white, off-white inside it shouldn't be a problem. If you were heating your nutes :rofl: it could be a problem. :cheesygrinsmiley: The date 1995? if so Europeans adopted lead free standard before then so it should be fine.

The markings don't mean as much (other than the date) as the color inside. Most white, off-white glazes don't use lead as their fluxing agent. I did a little more research and think if he is going to drill holes in the stein, it could be a problem, but after 1985 I think it's OK yo proceed as planned.
HOZ

OK, it is white/cream color on the inside, and I think I was into collecting Bass fishing steins from the late 90's. Sounds like I'm good to go.

At first I had just planned on some drainage holes but noticed that B.A.R. added some holes in the sides of his cups too. How important are they?

I have two clones ready when I get the holes done, a Nebula and a Holy Grail 69. Do you think either of these would work and produce a single cola?

Thanks

This will be just like Risky Business except that a bong will get stolen off Reg's mantle and we will have to go on some wild caper to sell ganja and make $ enough to buy it back. :party::theband::party:
Bob ;)

Lets all pile in, we've got work to do! :lot-o-toke::rollit::ganjamon::Rasta::yahoo::passitleft::woohoo::yahoo:

Back
Top Bottom