Nick Hardy's Skunk Works #2 The Giant SIP Outdoor Soil: Thailand!

Up potted the 4 girls in with a shout of making the SIP. Tbh - their alternative life is ok. @Grand Daddy Black was asking after Italian cooking. Can do used to own a pizza restaurant and a couple of others.

This evening I made a tray. It’ll get you baked 😂 its just a perlite filled tray, thinking about table top grows. This was my quick and dirty solution. Normal setup but added some wood chips and magic volcano rocks as an experiment.

Build:

IMG_5592.jpeg
IMG_5593.jpeg
IMG_5594.jpeg
IMG_5595.jpeg
IMG_5596.jpeg

Sold roots already of the hydro style. Maybe gonna add a layer of tin/aluminium foil to not lose too much to evaporation but tomorrow. Its fool proof watering. Just pour in until the perlite just just starts to float up. Looks like its bulging. Then when it shrinks back then you can water again. Its probably a solution for a problem that wasn't there

They’re in the big girls room, going on a box tomorrow for some elevation. Think we can ball them out by next weekend.

IMG_5598.jpeg

EDIT - Airholes going in sides tomorrow. That was me and & Co in twenty minutes flat. @Carmen Ray forgot to tag ya.
Nick & Co

Thanks - just gently wash/brush it off, eh? Let the tray overflow - because perlite floats (even in epoxy!)

I’m going to have three Prince ‘arry’s when The Chosen One takes the throne. I’m not sure where to fit them in. - probably the veg tent for a while.

They’re all going to have great aqua roots. Maybe I’m in the market for some buckets… I actually fancy giving fabric a go again. I have a lot - enough to get seen into a light screen for the balcony 🤣

IMG_5862.jpeg

Weather station sensors are on the roof. Bit cloudy today.
image.jpg

But the Watts/M2 is good. 1003/0.0079 gives approx LUX reading of 126,962

What can we infer from this? My light sensor is wildly optimistic?!

Repot and Brix reading by end of day ‘pon my word the SIP is a go by end of weekend.

I don't know how I did not know you had started this journal. I have quite a bit of catching up to do. How is it going with the SIP and the soil?

I don't know how I did not know you had started this journal. I have quite a bit of catching up to do. How is it going with the SIP and the soil?
To you Carmen I say: i’ll tell you just now

To everyone else I say, mañana mañana!

😅

pon my word the SIP is a go by end of weekend.
I lied. I broke my word. Still not done. The kid cut his hand at work this morning and had to take him to a clinic for stitches. Means he’s off tomorrow so he is labouring with me to get this SIP done. Some construction issues mean its a final rebuild tomorrow.

The soil mix is:
60L 420 Super Soil local brand with myco, perlite and some other stuff
Perlite (including chimneys - vertically through the soil)
Coco Peat - as required, probably 20L
Bokashi
Frass
Volcano Rocks
Dolomite Lime
Bat guano
Peat

Dunno lots of stuff. Need to watch not making it too hot.

Also I don’t think I need to move the plant for flower. Sparky was here earlier. Said he can put a switch on it. Started asking me what sort, normal, timer, wireless 😂

Dude, you know this is a government light?!

- Its OK no problem!

Yeah I’m not 100% comfortable with that and his rationalisation yet, but think we can do it another way- we found the light sensor as well.

Nick & The Lad

Tomorrow 100% this grow is a go on the balcony.

The soil is prepped just some finishing touches on the SIP. Yeah I either sprayed it red or its an all new one. Inwas stressing about a leak and some spacing/load bearing. Its the real reason been so slow on it.

Here ya go - just at the glue setting and trim the mesh stage now. Oh and air holes. 20 minutes work. Pot it. Done.

Nick & The Lad (he really grafted and crafted to get it done properly. Went the extra mile - super pleased.)

PS - two overflows? Primary and Secondary AKA measured and not measured 🤣
IMG_5992.jpeg
IMG_5993.jpeg

She’s in.

EDIT: Sulking about something earlier 😅
For scale the airpot on the right side is 15 gallons. Empty now. Thee previous plant provided maybe 80 clones & Co sold, bartered or gave away. The random school teacher house inspection for the 16 year old was actually just a ruse to get round and giggle at cannabis plants and walk away with a free clone - kid doesn’t get Prom Queen I want them back 🤣

See how she looks in the morning. Mega hydro root system already. Had to cut the pot off
IMG_6030.jpeg

IMG_6031.jpeg

IMG_6032.jpeg

IMG_6033.jpeg

IMG_6034.jpeg

IMG_6035.jpeg

Oh 100%! If anything its brighter than the photos look. I was a bitnfed up when I took the photos. Those are the lights Sparky is brazenly talking about commandeering!

The lights I posted before are about 100 yards and a mile away respectively.

I know a guy that owns the local awning/outdoor blind company. English. He quoted for something else last year which we decided against but referred some stuff to him that did work out for him. A social mate rather than a pure tradie. Hoping he might quote me happy on a blackout roller. As fun as it sounds to control government street lights I’m just a bit risk adverse to offending the govt. of my host country! A nice thick black roller blind across that balcony would be nice anyway. (See the quote first though, eh?!)

For now with a couple of months of veg ahead the light is net benefit I reckon. Plus its free!

Back
Top Bottom