Radogast 2016 - The Neverending Growing

So, yeah...I get it, and appreciate the explanation. Do you live where you can possibly reach out to a local compassion club or collective to supplement until you can get your yield back in order?

:cool:

State law says if anyone gives away or sells their mmj they are kicked out of the system. Compassion is strictly verboten.

Sorry to hear your better half is in pain and running out of meds:yikes:

Hope you find a way round it. :goodjob:

I think you guys are showing more compassion to my wife's situation than I am :)

This feeling is more of an ego thing. I am man. I am provider. :adore: Worship me woman :adore: (OK, maybe a bit overstated :) )

I am the guy who is hanging out with friends, and 10 seconds after I hear "I think I'll take a cab home." is standing in the street in his bare feet to flag a taxi. I get off on helping friends and family :rofl: :rofl: I don't like feeling useless.

We will be fine. I can scrape together $130 for a half on the street. My wife knows how to ration herself. It's all good. :Namaste:

. .

For yield in training - I like to top once, and early. The plant will sit down in it's pot, and thicken. Thick branches, produce so much better. That's also what the crushing does. The injury sends hormones to down from the site, so that the support below, is thicker and stronger. I do this with a lighter touch than many. I don't break the outer skin usually. I just roll the stem, just a node or two below the top, where I can get my fingers in, and squeeze, till I hear/feel it crush a little. You might see a little sap stain the outer skin. You can really snap them over, and supercrop them too. Depends on what you want, and if you're running out of height. I do this from about week 2 in Veg, although when they are young, I just pinch, rather than crush. Hit em once and then let them heal. Repeat until you are happy with them. A blowing fan will also thicken them up.

I read your other points, but let me just pick out his paragraph.

I like to top once and early for all seeds. For clones, which is most of my girls, it is a challenge to get topping type results but I feel good about my recent LSTs.

The white widow and caramelicious are no longer robust. They are growing real skinny branches. Following what I remember from Jorge Cervantes and garden sites, I have been selecting my clones from low branches - the skinny ones that won't ever reach the canopy. At this point that seems wrong. My clones from topping robust leaders make much more robust clones than these lower branches. I may have selected for inferior growth.

Thanks for the reminder about the fan. My current veg room fan is very robust for about 2 feet but then the air movement seems to dissipate. I need to get more air movement in veg.

It sounds like you are saying the most effective pinching, like the most effective LST, begns when they are young.

I read your other points, but let me just pick out his paragraph.

I like to top once and early for all seeds. For clones, which is most of my girls, it is a challenge to get topping type results but I feel good about my recent LSTs.

The white widow and caramelicious are no longer robust. They are growing real skinny branches. Following what I remember from Jorge Cervantes and garden sites, I have been selecting my clones from low branches - the skinny ones that won't ever reach the canopy. At this point that seems wrong. My clones from topping robust leaders make much more robust clones than these lower branches. I may have selected for inferior growth.

Thanks for the reminder about the fan. My current veg room fan is very robust for about 2 feet but then the air movement seems to dissipate. I need to get more air movement in veg.

It sounds like you are saying the most effective pinching, like the most effective LST, begns when they are young.

Yes, earlier is better, even with clones, once they root and start to grow upward.

Some strains just grow big and thick, and you don't have to do much. 65+% sativa crosses come to mind. With everything though, it's best to start early. I pick middle-plant clones, but from the upper reaches, and newer growth, so that they have more dominate hormone in them. I don't like skinny or woody clones, and never take from the low nodes, unless the plant is topped within the first two weeks of Veg. I've grown tops into plants, and they work well too, but can get lanky, if you don't top them or train them. I'm certainly not the best trainer out there, but I do move my plants along very quickly, so I have to stay out of their way too.

Top as early as you can, 1.5-3 weeks, and then tie down the mains.
This isn't the best job, but I don't have many bondage pics.
This plant was amazing. I won't bomb your journal with her in flower, but she was donor to the NOTY 2014.

IMAG6562.jpg

Hey, my favorite wizard! I'm catching up, waaayyyy behind here. I am on the first page of your grafting start up, I had no idea you were trying it.

I'm reading intently. :circle-of-love:

um.. umm.. grafting experiment... didn't really happen.

I'm finding myself short on gardening time, short on veg space, and short on yield.

My biggest experiment now is with a lighter seedling mix and working through PeeJay's belief that my perpetual soil is probably way too hot.

um.. umm.. grafting experiment... didn't really happen.

I'm finding myself short on gardening time, short on veg space, and short on yield.

My biggest experiment now is with a lighter seedling mix and working through PeeJay's belief that my perpetual soil is probably way too hot.

I see that. Just now finished catch up. I will be watching your soil experiment to see what the results are.
I really do want to try the grafting, but now I don't have a male plant. Will have to wait, most of my seeds right now are feminised, but there are still some white widow x master kush left that I could always hope for a male on.
I'm happy to LA is picking up the ball and running with it. Should be pretty awesome to watch.

How did the accident gal come out, or has she come out? I may have missed an update on that.
And too cool on the little sprouts in the perlite and the other area. Don't ya love surprises?

:circle-of-love:

I'm happy to LA is picking up the (grafting)ball and running with it. Should be pretty awesome to watch.

I am running a pair of unsexed seeds, so I may have grafting rootstock in the future. I'm in no hurry. Grafting is a good skill for outdoor gardening, but I have had so little success with New England outdoor gardening that I may give it up. I'm sure Light addict will have a big, beautiful many breed mother to show us late this year. LA is great at intensive care growing.

How did the accident gal come out, or has she come out? I may have missed an update on that.

Friday, I tossed her dirt back into the starter soil bin. :rip:

And too cool on the little sprouts in the perlite and the other area. Don't ya love surprises?

:circle-of-love:

Friday, the leaves were losing vigor. I unburried her root and it was not rooting. I carried the sprout over to the clone bucket and set her gently down in the lavendar pot while I got ready a cloning ring. Somewhere between dipping an already full ring into the cloning bucket, snagging a cord and sneezing, the little perlite volunteer sprout disappeared. :rip:

Clara the volunteer was to be my backup in the Motoco memorial grow in case Ava the high CBD sativa didn't recover from her accident.

In both these cases, I believe overly hot seedling soil was a factor. I starter a grinder seed from Northern Lights Stella in a cup of water yesterday. She is small and has a damaged seed coat. I am not optimistic.

The seedling start window has basically passed. If none of these 3 take, I won't be contributing to the Motoco memorial grow. it is the flow of life.

- - - I'll try to get some veg pictures up soon. They are at interesting stages.

Well, if you don't have one that you feel you can contribute (by the way there is no set time frame on the memorial grow), I can grow one in your name. I'm going to have more plants than I first expected, so will have at least one that I can call your virtual plant.

Sorry to hear about the RIP. Had a couple or 4 seeds that went to the wayside. I hate when that happens. But I think they were bad before they got here.

Well, if you don't have one that you feel you can contribute (by the way there is no set time frame on the memorial grow), I can grow one in your name. I'm going to have more plants than I first expected, so will have at least one that I can call your virtual plant.

Sorry to hear about the RIP. Had a couple or 4 seeds that went to the wayside. I hate when that happens. But I think they were bad before they got here.

I dropped my CBD Crew: CBD Shark Shock into water today. CBD Shark Shock is a roughly 7% 1:1 Indica dominant strain.
I'm over it. We will carry on :)

The other adults in the house are playing with fruit tea in a bong. When the tea is warm it is similar to a vape hit. A smooth smoke. When the 'iron lung' hit it, he exhaled pink smoke :rofl: :rofl:

The Seuz with Grand Daddy Purp bubbled through Raspberry Pomegranite Stash Tea - couch lock plus fruity caffeine :)

20160215_152122-1.jpg

I thought I would show you a few plants in late Veg, and ask for advice on what to do before flowering.

Late Veg

20160215_145752-1.jpg

Starting with the short girl in front left:

AK47 Bonnie was grow from a seed planted Nov 9 - about 100 days

20160215_145420-1.jpg

Bonnie is 12" tall and 16" wide - Her third node was topped with the two arms spread wide, then everything allowed to grow upwards

20160215_145434.jpg

In the past, I have allowed most of my girls to reach 26-30" tall before flowering.

My plan so far is to let Bonnie grow another 16" straight up and send her into flower.

I have two more younger girls being trained the same way.

Tangerine Dream Ghita

Planted from clone on 1-1, Ghita is 45 days in soil and about 9 inches tall at the crown.

20160215_145622-1.jpg

Ghita is columnar with Sativa fan leaf fingers about the length of a ball point pen, (blurry photo - Sorry)

20160215_145243-1.jpg

I expected to keep growing Ghita as a straight column up to about 30" but she has recently gone from paired to alternating nodes

20160215_145332-1.jpg

Nw that she is alternating, do you think she will continue to grow straight for the next 20" ?

Tangerine Dream Ghita

Planted from clone on 1-1, Ghita is 45 days in soil and about 9 inches tall at the crown.

20160215_145622-1.jpg

Ghita is columnar with Sativa fan leaf fingers about the length of a ball point pen, (blurry photo - Sorry)

20160215_145243-1.jpg

I expected to keep growing Ghita as a straight column up to about 30" but she has recently gone from paired to alternating nodes

20160215_145332-1.jpg

Nw that she is alternating, do you think she will continue to grow straight for the next 20" ?

The only time I have tried to grow without doing LST or keeping them low was last years' outdoor grow. There were two plants that did the alternating nodes, The THC Bomb, and another...the name escapes me at the moment.
Both of them grew straight up, there wasn't much to the side branches. The THC Bomb reached around 7'. The other one about 5'.
Can't help ya much there, I just haven't done enough non LST'd.
The current grow, other than the Auto's, will not be LST'd at all. I'm going to let them go, except for topping here and there. I have plenty of space in the basement room now for height.

Stunning Ladies and pics Rad!

Got put down a little for working too hard. Just getting back into the swing of things and looks like I'm just in time! Wonderful job my friend!:love:

Snowcap Stacy

One last Late Veg update tonight.

Snowcap clone Stacy was planted in soil on 12-1, so is about 75 days old.

20160215_145135-1.jpg

Her shape is two unequal trunks emerging from the root ball and trained horizontally in a crescent shape above the soil.

20160215_144916.jpg

Branches rise vertically from the left trunk.

20160215_145102.jpg

Branches rise vertically from the right trunk

20160215_145118.jpg

Sno Stacy forms a bush of branches stretching 15" tall and 15" wide

20160215_145144.jpg

I was thinking of supercropping upper branches to form a more even canopy, but it might not help because the lower branches are the ones that would benefit most from beefed up branches due to super cropping.

I expect to grow her up another 10-15" before flowering. Then again, she might do just fine going to flower earlier.

The look great Rado, looks like you will have some nice bushes. :cheer:

I like the way they are growing, but I'm not sure what if anything I need to do to complete their training.

You guys can be brutally honest in criticizing me. I'm still winging it when it comes to training - especially alternating node clones .

Quiffa - reveg clone

Quiffa, my little caramelicious gal that started flowering in the cloner, has added new leaves and put trichomes on them.

20160215_150015-1.jpg

I believe the clone growth, as new as it is, is only possible because I reduced the proportion of lobster compost in my seedling soil. I'm watching to see if the growth rate of my other seedlings in veg also improves.

Thanks PeeJay

I don't veg for long, so I don't get to do a lot of training, but I do a little. I would pinch/crush the leaders on the AK and SC as they grow upwards, over the next two weeks. You could pinch all of tops at once, and them give them a rest for a few days, or just the leader if you are looking to even things out.

If your plants are used to having defol - To stack the nodes (before you flip), you can pull some new leafs, as soon as there is a newer one grown. They've got to be super healthy to do this, as this is very high stress on an unhealthy plant, and it's not a great time to stress them too much. Yours look like they should be fine. :thumb:

Quiffa - reveg clone

Quiffa, my little caramelicious gal that started flowering in the cloner, has added new leaves and put trichomes on them.

20160215_150015-1.jpg

I believe the clone growth, as new as it is, is only possible because I reduced the proportion of lobster compost in my seedling soil. I'm watching to see if the growth rate of my other seedlings in veg also improves.

Thanks PeeJay

Might just be the picture, but I'm seeing a healthier shade of deep green. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom