I’m dealing with the same thing as I set this sip up. I’d like to know as well before I buy a ph monitor and dosing pump.(I’m building an auto fill sip) I just bought lumber to build a stand for an external res where the RO water will be ph’d before gravity feeding to the pot res.
I did install a drain valve on the pot res so I could take a runoff sample or check res TDS.
You can see my setup in the banana jealousy link in my sig as it evolves.
Sorry I don’t have your answer but, just more questions..lol
No worries. We will get a solid answer this I know.

Honestly I feel dumb for not fully investigating this before I started this grow, that’s pretty much my way though. Jump in, fuck things up and then have to fix them LOL

I tried a mini SIP with a yogurt container, didn't work that well...

Went back to yogurt container with a half dozen holes in the bottom. No standing water.

Takes between 14 - 21 days before the leaves reach the edge of the container And roots are visible at the bottom.

Roots Apple Betty 23 Jan 23.jpg

Then transplant into prepared hole (Pro Mix HP) in the SIP which as been precharged with a gallon of water from the top, 1g/gallon of MC.

Cheers
The mini-SIPs do work well, but I've found you have to ease the plant into it. For example, I have a new, 10 day old seedling in my 9 oz version (clear solo SIP inside an opaque cover cup).

So far I have only lightly watered it from the top to keep the seedling from drying out, but now, after 10 days, I'm finally seeing roots just showing at the bottom of the cup so I added a small amount of water to the reservoir. That water quickly got absorbed into the surrounding soil but that was it for now.

That little amount of water saturated the bottom inch or two of the soil in the cup but didn't travel much higher than that. But it also gives the roots a chance to see what a wetter section of the pot feels like.

Next day same thing but this time a small amount of water remained in the reservoir so now it goes on my "earn it" program. No more water until the seedling uses up what it's already been given. And I just give it a little at a time, I don't even fill the reservoir even as small as it is.

This process gets the seedling off to a great start and allows the roots to transition to the water roots it'll need at up-pot into a 1L SIP in a week or two.

I find I have to treat a new seedling more like a normal plant and ease the SIP experience in gradually, and by doing it the way I do I have much happier plants much sooner.

And using the clear inner cup allows me to see exactly what's going on; what the roots look like, how wet the soil is, how high the saturated soil level is, whether there's water in the reservoir, etc. Once the plant catches I can be much more liberal with watering, but to start off they get more of a hybrid approach.

Too wet, too early and you get droopy over-watered looking plants like in any other container because that's what they are: over-watered. But even so, they'll grow out of it even if you don't do anything differently. I just like to get them off to a great start as early as possibly so a bit of extra attention in the first couple of weeks can help do just that.

The mini-SIPs do work well, but I've found you have to ease the plant into it. For example, I have a new, 10 day old seedling in my 9 oz version (clear solo SIP inside an opaque cover cup).

So far I have only lightly watered it from the top to keep the seedling from drying out, but now, after 10 days, I'm finally seeing roots just showing at the bottom of the cup so I added a small amount of water to the reservoir. That water quickly got absorbed into the surrounding soil but that was it for now.

That little amount of water saturated the bottom inch or two of the soil in the cup but didn't travel much higher than that. But it also gives the roots a chance to see what a wetter section of the pot feels like.

Next day same thing but this time a small amount of water remained in the reservoir so now it goes on my "earn it" program. No more water until the seedling uses up what it's already been given. And I just give it a little at a time, I don't even fill the reservoir even as small as it is.

This process gets the seedling off to a great start and allows the roots to transition to the water roots it'll need at up-pot into a 1L SIP in a week or two.

I find I have to treat a new seedling more like a normal plant and ease the SIP experience in gradually, and by doing it the way I do I have much happier plants much sooner.

And using the clear inner cup allows me to see exactly what's going on; what the roots look like, how wet the soil is, how high the saturated soil level is, whether there's water in the reservoir, etc. Once the plant catches I can be much more liberal with watering, but to start off they get more of a hybrid approach.

Too wet, too early and you get droopy over-watered looking plants like in any other container because that's what they are: over-watered. But even so, they'll grow out of it even if you don't do anything differently. I just like to get them off to a great start as early as possibly so a bit of extra attention in the first couple of weeks can help do just that.
Thanks for that !

I may try it again but the four different strains I tried grew Slower than the crop before !

And the one strain without a SIP outgrew the original three o_O But not for long ;)

This is day 18, I'm normally close to transplanting at this point...

Day 18 Full 8 Aug 2023.jpg

Cheers

Question for those of you running ProMix with your SIP.

Are you still PH’ing your water? And if you are where to? If I do need to start PH’ing my water that’s fine. I just want to make sure I am not under/overshooting my target. My water coming out of the tap ranges from 7.8 - 8.2.
I'm in ProMix HP and 5 gallon SIP's with GroBuckets/Mega Crop one part and haven't phed my water for the last four (?) grows.

But, my well water ppms is ~500 and ph is Only 7.5 ;)

Day 70 total on my current grow and no issues !

9 Mar The Girls Day 6.jpg

Cheers

I may try it again but the four different strains I tried grew Slower than the crop before !
That's probably the "too wet, too early" effect which stalls the plant while she tries to figure out what in the hell you're doing to her. As I said above, she'll figure it out after a few weeks but that's growth time you're missing out on.

Try another one side by side with your other process vs what I suggested above. I'll bet they go stride for stride in the first couple of weeks and then it's contest over.

Hey @Pondwater , I'm reading the new 'True Living Organics' book by The Rev (just out this past week) and he has a recommendation for just what you're asking.

His suggestion is Alaska brand fish fertilizer and Fox Farm brand Big Bloom. He goes on to say those two are a great combination with high quality bagged soil like Fox Farm's Ocean Forest soil, but I've also heard good things about Coast of Maine bagged soils as well.
do you have a link to the TLO book, i did my soil with alot of the told research he did

Do you have a link to this solo sip?
I’d like to see how ya built it

Do you have a link to this solo sip?
I’d like to see how ya built it
Page two of this thread

One change I made later is I tilt the solo 45* when I put the clay balls or perlite in the bottom section and that way I can get soil down to the very bottom in the other half of that section.

once more BEFORE TRAINING
20240310_105140.jpg

& yes u guessed it AFTER TRAINING
20240310_112637.jpg

All tied down tips are topped , bar one
20240310_112655.jpg

roots growing out the wicking basket ,
The roots are stained brown from a plant tonic ( 6% Mg , 2% Fe ,3% Mn ) i used early last week , the white part of root have grown since then , i still let the reservoir dry out 2 to 3 days before filling
20240310_104804.jpg

Take care & peace to all 🤙✌️

Page two of this thread

One change I made later is I tilt the solo 45* when I put the clay balls or perlite in the bottom section and that way I can get soil down to the very bottom in the other half of that section.
Thanks @Azimuth !

Not sure if adding the perlite to the bottom 1 3/4" compared to straight ProMix HP will make that much of a difference But I Will Try It ;)

Now if one had a 3D printer making a mini GroBucket would be a cool project :yahoo:

BTW > my containers are 3" across on the bottom and 5" high...

Cheers

Checked trichomes today and there’s a good amount of amber. Gonna harvest this weekend

IMG_0271.jpeg

IMG_0270.jpeg

IMG_0268.jpeg
Great garden my friend. :welldone:
Just curious, are all those white pistils foxtails?
If not you are very early. Imo.:Namaste:
Is she still draining that pot?
When she is finished flowering all those white pistils turn red and crinkle in.
While this is happening she stops eating.
In my opinion there is a lot of building and swelling left before chop.
Just 2 cents. :Namaste::Namaste::Namaste:
Happy Growing.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Great garden my friend. :welldone:
Just curious, are all those white pistils foxtails?
If not you are very early. Imo.:Namaste:
Is she still draining that pot?
When she is finished flowering all those white pistils turn red and crinkle in.
While this is happening she stops eating.
In my opinion there is a lot of building and swelling left before chop.
Just 2 cents. :Namaste::Namaste::Namaste:
Happy Growing.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
I’ll double check them tomorrow. It’s lights out now

I’ll double check them tomorrow. It’s lights out now
As a rule of thumb I don't harvest white pistils.
I don't even start looking at trics until pistils start turning red and crinkling in.
Looks like 3 more weeks. :Namaste:
Big buds and high thc values come tword the end.
Wait and you will be rewarded.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I agree with Bill- looks to be a bit early to harvest that beauty...
Looks like 3 more weeks. :Namaste:
And while you're waiting, the buds are getting a little fatter everyday...
It's worth the wait...

Is there an exact ratio of reservoir to media in a SIP? I'm growing in a 5gallon bucket with a roughly 1gallon reservoir. Could I drop the bucket size down to a 2 or 3 gallon bucket and keep the same 1gallon reservoir, roughly a 2:1 media to res or a 1:1 median to res?

The reason I ask is I was planning on doing a quick auto grow in smaller pots but I have 5gallon GroBucket sips now. I don't want to grow massive auto plants because I don't have the space and also it's more or less a filler grow before I start my long summer photo grow.

I think 20% is a good consistent ratio that I've seen, and is about what I do as well. Too much reservoir will keep your plants too wet as the perched water table will extend higher into your grow mix.

You can get away with a smaller reservoir simply by committing to filling it more frequently, but I don't know that I'd go the other way.

I think 20% is a good consistent ratio that I've seen, and is about what I do as well. Too much reservoir will keep your plants too wet as the perched water table will extend higher into your grow mix.

You can get away with a smaller reservoir simply by committing to filling it more frequently, but I don't know that I'd go the other way.
That's I good point I didn't think of that. I will pick up smaller buckets and if I need to build my own I will. Is a 1" air gap what I should be shooting for? Has anyone experimented with the size of air gap between the res and the medium. Just some thoughts I'm having as I contemplate building my own.

Back
Top Bottom