VG & InTheShed Are Darin' To Grow Varin From Weed Seeds Express

Here is my Doug's Varin this morning on day 7:

Cruising right along and the second set of leaves are coming in nicely! Won't be long before I start with low-strength nutrients for it (when the new leaves are fully grown).

And the spots on the leaves are light burn from the 23w CFL it's under at night. Even low-powered lights can do that, so be carefolo!

LOL!

Thanks HG, and it was a very nice experiment indeed. :thumb:

Thanks for your sponsorship on this site, as well as your great genetics. Looking forward to testing out the harvest on this new variety!
Looking good! :hippy:

Hey y'all.
I have a pic of my Varin from this morning.

She has an interesting texture to her leaves. I'm not concerned though.
Most times they grow out of it and look normal by the time the fourth node starts growing.

I checked the rootball and it's holding together so I'll probably transplant in a few days. I'll be using a 1/2 gallon GeoPot filled with my go-to, All-purpose Pro Mix.
Not 100% sure which nutrient line I'm going to use yet but I'd better decide soon. Next time she needs water ,I'm feeding.

Thanks for being patient.
I have two more days until it gets nasty outside here and I still have a lot of winterizing and repairs to do on the house before then.
I won't be around much until later in the week.

TTFN!

Roots on day 8:

Building the foundation from the ground up, and the clear cup makes it easy to peek at the progress!

Looking good!
:thanks:
Go DV go!
You tell 'em Otter!
I checked the rootball and it's holding together so I'll probably transplant in a few days.
Looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing you after you get your winterizing done.
:ciao:
Looking Good VG and Shed , I understand the getting ready for winter thing doing it here too But for now in the low 60s and 70 today Was just 33* other nite LOL
Thanks sb! Winter is on its way even in Los Angeles. :)

Looking Good VG and Shed , I understand the getting ready for winter thing doing it here too But for now in the low 60s and 70 today :ganjamon: Was just 33* other nite LOL
We got our first snow last night.
Think it's gonna stick around too.

Looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing you after you get your winterizing done.
I got a good portion of it done but not all.
I'm sure VG will give us an update on her transplant if she can ever finish cleaning the fish tank!
Fish tank has been done for days.
We have been working on the front door and roof issues. Not fun.

I could use a day off.

Anyhoo....
I'm finally transplanting mine today.
I'll grab pics when I get it done.
Before I get to that,I have to go on a 60 mile road trip this morning with my oldest son. I have to get some Pro Mix bales a few towns over.

Greetings all! Let's take a look in on my Doug's Varin on day 11.

Side view:

Oblique:

SaugaView®:

As I mentioned, it got its first nutes yesterday at 1.125g equivalent. For those who want a deeper dive into what that means, read on. If not, skip it! Here goes...

I mix my nutes from a combination of products to hit certain targets for the macro and micro nutrients as the plant grows. The ratio of these nutes pretty much stays the same from birth until late flower, so what changes is the concentration rate. It's based on the nitrogen ppm from the Greenleaf element calculator, raising the ppm of nitrogen (and therefore everything else) as the plant ages. So when I say 1.125g/gallon equivalent, I'm going from a base what of MC provides for N at 1.125g/gallon. That's 29ppm of N, and that number wasn't picked specifically. It's just my 4.5g eq. cut twice with plain water! I don't like mixing lots of different dilutions I'll hardly use, so I just add water to my standard mixes.

As the plant gets older, I'll raise that ppm pretty quickly until I get to a 4.5g/gallon equivalent for veg, which is ~116ppm of N. My plants happily stay there until flip.

So now you're wondering what the other nutrient amounts look like and I will try to channel my nute mentor @MrSauga:

I'm looking to hit a 5-1-5 NPK ratio, with Ca at 50% of K, Mg at 50% of Ca, and sulfur at 10% of N. All these numbers are measured in ppm.

So using an example of 4.5g/gallon eq. (116ppm of nitrogen), I am aiming for 116-23-116 with Ca: 58, Mg: 29, and S: 12. (I never hit these exactly, but I try to come as close as I can with what I have.)

To this I add 50ppm of monosilicic acid (in veg), which is the most easily absorbed form of silica.

This mix is accomplished using:
MC v2
Ammonium Sulfate
Magnesium Nitrate
TPS calmag (0-0-0)
DutchPro Silica

And it's calculated using a piece of free software written by a PhD in nanoscience and nanotechnology. PM me if you're interested in more details on that!

If I were growing in soil, I wouldn't need the Ammonium Sulfate (which is providing ammoniacal nitrogen), but because I'm in ProMix (peat-based), nitrate nitrogen alone raises the pH of that medium over a shorter time. I'm adding ammoniacal nitrogen to counteract that effect. [For more info on that, see the link in my signature: Do we need to pH adjust our nutrient solutions?.]

NB: there are others here who follow a similar path with slightly different ratios, but we're all of a belief that plants do best with ratios that tend not to follow the traditional ones used by many fertilizer manufacturers. This is not to say you cannot grow big beautiful plants using their nutes. Many here have and have won OTM awards with them, including our sponsor that VG will be using for her DV: Prescription Blend. Folks really like that lineup!

:thumb:

Fish tank has been done for days.
You take me so seriously!
Before I get to that,I have to go on a 60 mile road trip this morning with my oldest son. I have to get some Pro Mix bales a few towns over.
Jeez! Rural living at its finest (or is it just for stealth?). :eek:

Greetings all! Let's take a look in on my Doug's Varin on day 11.

Side view:

Oblique:

SaugaView®:

As I mentioned, it got its first nutes yesterday at 1.125g equivalent. For those who want a deeper dive into what that means, read on. If not, skip it! Here goes...

I mix my nutes from a combination of products to hit certain targets for the macro and micro nutrients as the plant grows. The ratio of these nutes pretty much stays the same from birth until late flower, so what changes is the concentration rate. It's based on the nitrogen ppm from the Greenleaf element calculator, raising the ppm of nitrogen (and therefore everything else) as the plant ages. So when I say 1.125g/gallon equivalent, I'm going from a base what of MC provides for N at 1.125g/gallon. That's 29ppm of N, and that number wasn't picked specifically. It's just my 4.5g eq. cut twice with plain water! I don't like mixing lots of different dilutions I'll hardly use, so I just add water to my standard mixes.

As the plant gets older, I'll raise that ppm pretty quickly until I get to a 4.5g/gallon equivalent for veg, which is ~116ppm of N. My plants happily stay there until flip.

So now you're wondering what the other nutrient amounts look like and I will try to channel my nute mentor @MrSauga:

I'm looking to hit a 5-1-5 NPK ratio, with Ca at 50% of K, Mg at 50% of Ca, and sulfur at 10% of N. All these numbers are measured in ppm.

So using an example of 4.5g/gallon eq. (116ppm of nitrogen), I am aiming for 116-23-116 with Ca: 58, Mg: 29, and S: 12. (I never hit these exactly, but I try to come as close as I can with what I have.)

To this I add 50ppm of monosilicic acid (in veg), which is the most easily absorbed form of silica.

This mix is accomplished using:
MC v2
Ammonium Sulfate
Magnesium Nitrate
TPS calmag (0-0-0)
DutchPro Silica

And it's calculated using a piece of free software written by a PhD in nanoscience and nanotechnology. PM me if you're interested in more details on that!

If I were growing in soil, I wouldn't need the Ammonium Sulfate (which is providing ammoniacal nitrogen), but because I'm in ProMix (peat-based), nitrate nitrogen alone raises the pH of that medium over a shorter time. I'm adding ammoniacal nitrogen to counteract that effect. [For more info on that, see the link in my signature: Do we need to pH adjust our nutrient solutions?.]

NB: there are others here who follow a similar path with slightly different ratios, but we're all of a belief that plants do best with ratios that tend not to follow the traditional ones used by many fertilizer manufacturers. This is not to say you cannot grow big beautiful plants using their nutes. Many here have and have won OTM awards with them, including our sponsor that VG will be using here: Prescription Blend. Folks really like that lineup!

:thumb:

You take me so seriously!

Wow, that was an intense read for me. That would be a failed science experiment if I was conducting it.
So what I gather is you are using 1.125/g equivalent until the plant gets bigger than increase it quickly to 4.5g/g equivalent and carry that to flower? Then you'll increase more through flower? On top of all that, you are adding more supplemental nutrients?

:woohoo: 2 bales of Pro Mix!
Stuff is becoming scarce.
I guess you could say that I'm a grower that is committed....or should be.

Lmfao. @InTheShed 's DV has out paced my by a lot. It's pretty comical.

Just you wait. Mine will catch up.

Just got done doing the deed...

Fed her the initial growth amount as listed on the Prescription Blend feeding schedule. This is 1-2 ml of Core A&B per US gallon.

None left where I live.
I tried about a dozen greenhouses and landscaping businesses that were closer. They all said pretty much the same thing.
They didn't know if or when they were getting more. One fella said he hasn't been able to order it in over six months.
I saw that there were three bales 30 miles away. Thought I'd better grab that before it's gone too. I left one for someone else.
I should have more than enough until next spring.

Mad Science is being performed here!
LOL! It's the same mad science done in nute manufacturer's labs, only smaller and much sloppier. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Wow, that was an intense read for me. That would be a failed science experiment if I was conducting it.
So what I gather is you are using 1.125/g equivalent until the plant gets bigger than increase it quickly to 4.5g/g equivalent and carry that to flower? Then you'll increase more through flower? On top of all that, you are adding more supplemental nutrients?]
You got it RM! This feed was 4.5g/gallon eq. cut 2x with water. Depending on growth and water needs, next one could be 2.25g/gallon eq. I'll ramp up a little more slowly from there to 4.5 and stay there until flip. I tend to get behind and end up with yellowing lowers, but I'm trying to get better!

No supplementals at all. Those 5 through harvest. The K goes up beyond the 5-1-5 in flower, but I'll talk about that after flip.
Lmfao. @InTheShed 's DV has out paced my by a lot. It's pretty comical.
132,000 lux from birth will do that. :)
Just you wait. Mine will catch up.
And those leaves will be perfect.
I left one for someone else.
I'm sure they will be grateful. :love:

Highya VG, ITS, Guys,

It's good to see pics of each little girl in your joint grow. Fun to see the banter without negative emotions! You guys are great. Happy Smokin'

@InTheShed - what does the T stand for on your cups, i.e. DV-T?

@InTheShed - what does the T stand for on your cups, i.e. DV-T?
Tap. I had two seeds in the bowl and only one of them split before I dropped them both in peat pucks.
full

I had to differentiate them somehow. And this one kept that label from the Shoebox of Light®.

Looking good and very interesting o watch these grow. :popcorn: This is one of those times I like to just lurk and watch. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Looking good and very interesting o watch these grow. This is one of those times I like to just lurk and watch.

then get comfy. it's all sativa. this thread will be long as a dog's face watching a fat man eat a steak.

Back
Top Bottom