Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Good news!!!! I finally received my kit today!! :yahoo:Man it tooks long! The bad news is that I had to pay an extra $35 CDN custom fee :(.

I'll start cooking the soil soon and start a grow journal here when ready.

Is it best to store the bottles nutrients at room temperature or in the fridge?
Welcome Flump !! I store mine at room temp.
The de-stress must be refrigerated after mixing, if you want to save it a few days. You're growing now !! :morenutes::morenutes::surf:

Ya...i'm not a fan of grow 'bags'. Puffer, u gonna switch over to reg. nursery pots , right? There are a couple things about the bags that are not good. The edges of the soil mass, dries out too fast compared to the middle areas. Mold issues on the fabric around the bottoms , from sitting in saucer water too long.
The pots i use are hard plastic (sheets) with dibits , with holes protruding out , so a proper 'root pruning' takes place.
Cheers.
I was thinking at one time, you did a thread like tutorial on making those pots? What I have planned is next grow, use 2 10gl bags & 2 10gl plastic nursery pots, in each of my grows. Can I buy these pots like you use ?
I would never let any plant of any kind, set in saucer water. I very seldom water till runoff. Two gl. in a 10gl. bag, and no runoff. I like the 26 gal set up you got, but if I ever had to move it out of a tent, I'd be in trouble !! :passitleft:Do you have a tutorial somewhere to make those pots ?
My major problem right now is humidity. I'm taking the window AC out and closing that window. I'm turning on my gas space heater tomorrow, and as soon as I do, my Rh will be hard to keep above 35-40. before I got a humidifier, It would go below 20.
Well Duggan, maybe i don't know what a proper root prune consists of, but to me, if the pot or bag is full of healthy roots, then I'm happy. I've got the Durban poison growing in my last ten 1gl. bags, then I'm getting plastic. I just spotted one of your old threads is a Durban grow, so I'm gonna mosey over there and see if I can learn anything. Mine are 20 days old, from seed. I got 8, one of them is dragging ass behind, and I had to replant one, so it's about a week behind the rest.
Good news is, I think the 86 stuff that I sprayed for the PM on my 4 sour diesel & blueberry worked. I've plucked off most of the infected leaves, and I see nothing that looks like new PM. I'll keep a close eye out, and will be zapping them again in a couple days, with same stuff. Just to make sure !! So I'm gonna need a peroxide bucket for the wash. keeping my fingers crossed !!

Hey does any1 know what kind of worm this is. I found one the other day on a bud an now 2day i found another 1 so i searched the whole entire plant an found 4 more an lost 2 buds that they were crawling in an out of. But im wondering where did they come from an how do i stop it from happening again lol.

Yes...they are caterpillars.
Use appropriate insecticide to get rid if them.
They will eat all your buds.

Puffer, those pots are 'rootbuilders'.U can order them on line.The biggest size they come in is 7 gals.
So just use two of those sheets to overlap to make your own bigger size.You need to make new homemade bottoms once u do that for obvious reasons.
U can pm me for more more info and details.Cheers.

Ya...i'm not a fan of grow 'bags'. Puffer, u gonna switch over to reg. nursery pots , right? There are a couple things about the bags that are not good. The edges of the soil mass, dries out too fast compared to the middle areas. Mold issues on the fabric around the bottoms , from sitting in saucer water too long.
The pots i use are hard plastic (sheets) with dibits , with holes protruding out , so a proper 'root pruning' takes place.
Cheers.

I could not agree more. Fabric pots insure that root tissue is dying every day, all day. This stresses the plant.

They're a bad idea.....but if you simply can't help using them make sure your fabric pots are LARGE.

Hey does any1 know what kind of worm this is. I found one the other day on a bud an now 2day i found another 1 so i searched the whole entire plant an found 4 more an lost 2 buds that they were crawling in an out of. But im wondering where did they come from an how do i stop it from happening again lol.

This is an emergency. Repeat, this is an emergency.

You've got budworm....laid by enemy moths. It's very serious. They'll eat everything in a few days! Seriously, they will.

1. Get some BT. Monterey BT works great.
2. Inspect every inch of the plant. Everywhere you see a brown sugar leaf or brown spot on the bud, open that area up until you see the worm and pluck it out.
3. While worm hunting, remove as many of their eggs and crap as you can see....you'll find it when you bend the buds away from the stem to search for worms.
4. Spray every inch of the plant, especially stems with BT. Repeat every 3 days for 9 days.

That should solve your caterpillar/worm problem.

Did I mention it's an emergency?

May want to protect the top layer of soil

"
What are Budworms?

Budworms are moth caterpillars that chew their way into the tightly coiled buds of flowers and slowly eat them from the inside out. Budworm caterpillars start life as tiny larvae that measure less than 1/16 inches long, but grow up to 2 inches over the course of the summer. These larvae start out cream colored with brown heads and light colored stripes, but mature into colors ranging from green to rust to black. Identification should be simple — they’ll be the caterpillars eating your flowers from the inside out.

Budworms feed on all types of vegetative buds, but primarily focus on flower buds and maturing ovaries. Flower buds often fail to open, but those that do look ragged from all the petal chewing. As the summer progresses, the damage gets more severe. Fortunately, these pests only feed for about a month before dropping into the soil to pupate, giving your flowers a chance to recover. Two generations a year are common, with the second generation being much more damaging than the first.

"

Hey guys I thought I would share some pictures of my setup. Here's the soil I plan on cooking in a 55gal bin.
20191018_180745.jpg

20191018_180828.jpg

And here's The Kit ready for action

20191018_180921.jpg

Also got my environment, 1g and 7g pot ready

20191018_181117.jpg

I'll open a grow journal when the soil is cooked. Does everything look okay to you fine people?

Amy,..no , 'Airpots are hard plastic and the outside perimeter doesn't dry out as fast as a cloth pot. The holes in hard plastic air pots function as designed to properly 'air prune' the roots.
Many large nurseries in Europe use the same rootbuilder sheets/pots as i do . They are very easy to upcan a very large outdoor plant. simply remove the outer 'sheet' , lay out another much larger one ...fill it up with new soil, done without even lifting a thing. Cheers.

Flump, all looks proper man! Looks like you have a good handle on things. :high-five:

Cheers Duggs’ - I got them for just that reason, and Ive sure seen lots of growers here use them with success, including you and Conradino. Was just curious about what DB said there about roots dying all the time being stress for the plants - but yeah, I can see what you mean about it being different.
:thumb:

Amy, How's the air pot working out for you? there was a time when I thought about those air pot but went with cheaper route for some smartpots. After reading these discussion about variety of pots is making me reconsider using smartpots. I've had a mixture of experience using smartpots and solid plastic pots, I wouldn't mind trying something new to me for my second journal.

Duggan, would you suggest me to use air pots? By the way this next grow is just for you! haha the quadline with no scrog screen ;-)

I would like to improve the grow some more if i can and if air pots is a good investment then i'll give it a shot. Think i might have some 10 gal solid plastic potting sitting in the basement i can use if you prefer that.

:passitleft: :roorrip:

How's the air pot
TBH I’ve only used them once, and not for any of Doc’s kit soil grows, but it was good. I did a small run using straight coco coir, just to see what it’s like (not for me btw) and used very small 2.5gal AirPots. They actually went great but I did think the roots looked weird when i was pulling the root ball apart. The sight of all the root ends is discombobulating :nerd-with-glasses: . But they grew some pretty good looking plants (last months PhOTM ;)) Conradino grows beautiful little high brix plants in small AirPots - which I’m aspiring to emulate, so I can grow more variety :) And Duggs, like I said, cant argue w those plants :eek:

You've got budworm....laid by enemy moths. It's very serious. They'll eat everything in a few days! Seriously, they will.

2. Inspect every inch of the plant. Everywhere you see a brown sugar leaf or brown spot on the bud, open that area up until you see the worm and pluck it out.
3. While worm hunting, remove as many of their eggs and crap as you can see....you'll find it when you bend the buds away from the stem to search for worms.
4. Spray every inch of the plant, especially stems with BT. Repeat every 3 days for 9 days.

Ok so i searched for monterey bt an i found these 2 kinds one is the monterey bt like this.

and the other is Monterey bt rtu like this so which one should i get?

Also now i found the worms on plants that were in flower already so am i supposed to spray those down with this stuff? Or jus the plants in veg? Cause i dnt have any worms on the veg girls actually this is the first time ive ever had worms/caterpillars of any kind on anything b4. But yea i also have some Monterey garden spray with spinosad in it would that work on my flowering plants till i got the bt stuff or no?

This is the monterey spray tht i already have will this work till i get the bt stuff or should i jus wait till i get the bt stuff?

Amy, How's the air pot working out for you? there was a time when I thought about those air pot but went with cheaper route for some smartpots. After reading these discussion about variety of pots is making me reconsider using smartpots. I've had a mixture of experience using smartpots and solid plastic pots, I wouldn't mind trying something new to me for my second journal.

Duggan, would you suggest me to use air pots? By the way this next grow is just for you! haha the quadline with no scrog screen ;-)

I would like to improve the grow some more if i can and if air pots is a good investment then i'll give it a shot. Think i might have some 10 gal solid plastic potting sitting in the basement i can use if you prefer that.

:passitleft: :roorrip:

Mornin to ya Fingers. With your air pot decision. TBH , if i were u , i would use regular cheapo nursery pots. The plain , black plastic ones. They work great without putting out any extra cash for air pots. Of course , i will always suggest growing in as big a pot as you can fit , and work with in your GR. You are already doing an awesome job, by the look of your garden , so...keep up that great work bud. Cheers eh.
I know some will disagree with me but i would say the perfect size for our 'kit' method of growing is a minimum of 10 gal. pots. I have just seen too many peeps have awesome success using those bigger sizes, not only for plant health but of course for a much better yield and fewer problems later deep into bloom.

Mornin to ya Fingers. With your air pot decision. TBH , if i were u , i would use regular cheapo nursery pots. The plain , black plastic ones. They work great without putting out any extra cash for air pots. Of course , i will always suggest growing in as big a pot as you can fit , and work with in your GR. You are already doing an awesome job, by the look of your garden , so...keep up that great work bud. Cheers eh.
I know some will disagree with me but i would say the perfect size for our 'kit' method of growing is a minimum of 10 gal. pots. I have just seen too many peeps have awesome success using those bigger sizes, not only for plant health but of course for a much better yield and fewer problems later deep into bloom.
When I can afford them I have some 7 gal. air pots in my cart along with a LUX meter and some Yoyos still need some clip on fans too Dam more money to spend but I will not need them for a few weeks so maybe I can get them next pay check. I thought the fabric pots would work but after reading this I will try to get the air pots

Good afternoon duggan,

I appreciate your compliment and your advices, your inputs is invaluable :)

Im always up for saving a buck or two and i will follow your suggestion to reuse the plain black potting. Should i drill some holes though? I was thinking maybe drill lots of 1/8 to 1/4 inch holes at the bottom and about 2 to 5 inches up on the sides from the bottom.

*puff* :blunt: *puff* :blunt: *pass* :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom