DrCannaCanadian: MarsHydro & Seedsman, Soil & Coco, 2020

Hey @Rhys777 , that's the spirit! Jump right in!

There is so much to learn on this site - and I am still being amazed.

Like today - have you been over to the Photo of the Month page? I had no idea cannabis is this beautiful!

@DrCannaCanadian yes I've had a look at the photo of the month post, habit to come on and check everyday. Some absolutely amazing pictures. I've even gone back a couple of months just to have a look at some of the other...
Some outstanding photos

Daily Tips & Tricks
syZ3LYfZ.jpg
By Royal Queen Seeds

Cannabis Nutrient and Deficiency Table
Growing your own cannabis is a fine pursuit. Cultivating for the best results takes care and patience. Plant growth requires a mix of nutrients and compounds to keep plants healthy. If your crop is deficient in any of the following nutrients, we can show you how to get back on track.

[/CENTER]
NITROGEN (N)
Symptoms of Nitrogen deficiency include; red stems, small growth, pale appearance to the plant, and a rapid yellowing of the lower leaves that spreads up the plant. To remedy this particular situation, simply add an organic fertilizer containing nitrogen and monitor.

PHOSPHOROUS (P)
Phosphorous deficiency symptoms include; red stems and slow, stunted, or deformed growth but also include darker green lower leaves as well as leaves that may yellow then die. Adding an organic fertilizer containing Phosphorous can fix this problem but, while improvement to damaged areas may not show, newer growth will appear normal.

POTASSIUM (K)
Another issue similar to Nitrogen and Phosphorous deficiencies, Potassium deficiency has similar symptoms and include, curling of leaf ends as they die and stretching of the plant. This can be cured by adding an organic fertilizer containing Potassium. Another fix would be to flush the plant with water and half the normal amount of a balanced NPK (Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium) nutrient solution.

CALCIUM (CA)
Plants lacking Calcium balance can result in the soil becoming too acidic. Calcium deficiency can be fixed by foliar feeding (adding liquid fertilizer directly to plant leaves) one teaspoon of dolomatic lime per quart of water until the plant's condition approves.

MAGNESIUM (MG)
Magnesium deficiency usually starts in the middle of the plant and spreads to the younger leaves. Leaves turning yellow, or even white, with the veins remaining dark green is the best indicator of Magnesium deficiency and can best be cured by spraying with a 2 percent Epsom salt solution.

SULPHUR (S)
If the new growth of a plant contains yellowing, it is probably suffering from Sulfur deficiency. This deficiency can be cured by mixing one tablespoon of Epsom salts per gallon of water until the plant's condition improves.

IRON (Fe)
Pale leaves with dark green veins are indicative of Iron deficiency and can be fixed by foliar feeding with an organic fertilizer containing Iron.

MANGANESE (Mn)
When large amounts of Magnesium are present in the soil, yellow or necrotic (dying or dead) spots will occur on the upper leaves. To cure, foliar feed with chemical fertilizer containing Manganese.

BORON (B)
Dead or greying shoots that appear burnt are indicative of Boron deficiency and can be treated with one teaspoon of Boric acid per gallon of water.

MOLYBDENUM (Mo)
Mo deficiency includes yellowing of middle leaves and can be treated by adding organic fertilizer containing Molybdenum.

ZINC (Zn)
When white areas form at leaf tips or in between veins, the plant is Zinc deficient. This can be treated by adding organic fertilizer containing Zinc or by burying galvanized nails in the soil.

OVER FERTILIZATION
Indicated by yellow or burnt leaf tips, Over Fertilization can be fixed by flushing 3 gallons of water per every gallon of soil.

Alright Doctor, I’m in. Your going into great detail with a lot. Future jotm award will be going to you soon, no doubt. your a big Star Wars fan eh? Very cool, I was a big Star Wars fan as well with the older movies, then I just haven’t bothered with my or the new movies.

Nice defiency chart.

I liked it quite a bit too.

read that stuff today good read dr ;)

I like that I can do stuff like this here for free - that's why I'm trying to give kudos to our Sponsors.

Alright Doctor, I’m in. Your going into great detail with a lot. Future jotm award will be going to you soon, no doubt. your a big Star Wars fan eh? Very cool, I was a big Star Wars fan as well with the older movies, then I just haven’t bothered with my or the new movies.

Well hello @Backlipslide , welcome to the Dagobah Frost Forest! Hey! Did you ever win that contest? I haven't checked yet?

Yes sir! We're all Sci-Fi fans here - my favs are the original films too.

Time to slip in the daily update :)

Dagobah Frost Forest
Update

yoda.png
Germination - Day 4
A bit of sad news today - three beans didn't make it - including the much desired Dinafem CBD Plus. :(

I bought those seeds local and will never do that again!

From now on I'm getting quality seeds from Seedsman. Their prices are good and they have a great selection.

By tomorrow, we should have six seedlings above ground to grow. And based on that, I'll finish setting up the final pots for them to dig into and call home for the next few months.

Just curious, where do you guys get your Regular and Feminized seeds from?

Well hello @Backlipslide , welcome to the Dagobah Frost Forest! Hey! Did you ever win that contest? I haven't checked yet?
No sir, I did not.

Yes sir! We're all Sci-Fi fans here - my favs are the original films too.
They’re the greatest. Couldn’t get into the new ones. Then again, at the time the newer ones were coming out, all I had on my mind was, drugs, alcohol, partying and women... now that those days are behind me, Maybe one day I will sit down and watch a few. :popcorn:

Just curious, where do you guys get your Regular and Feminized seeds from?
I’ve only ever grown crop kings. They aren’t a sponsor here anymore. So just forget I said anything lol.

Looking good here! I'll follow along too! I've used Crop King, True North Seed Bank, and Seedsman, the latter being the best deals..
There's some nice cbd strains around, I like my Hy-1 Hiydrow, so much I grew it a second time and likely will again at some point.. It's a 2:1 strain, a cross of Candida and Girl Scout Cookies.

I have used this site for some time. Has lots of good info that is quick reference.

I’ve only ever grown crop kings. They aren’t a sponsor here anymore. So just forget I said anything lol.

One of the hydroponic store owners up here is a big Crop Kings fan - but we'll keep that a secret too :)

I love seedsman , bonza seed bank was good. In house genetics ?

But seedsman is my go to now.

It looks like we're on track with Seedsman; And thanks for the tip - I'll look up In house Genetics soon.

Looking good here! I'll follow along too! I've used Crop King, True North Seed Bank, and Seedsman, the latter being the best deals..
There's some nice cbd strains around, I like my Hy-1 Hiydrow, so much I grew it a second time and likely will again at some point.. It's a 2:1 strain, a cross of Candida and Girl Scout Cookies.

Hey @PE636 , pop in anytime we're glad you're here! And another vote for Seedsman - that's good :)

Candida x Girl Scout Cookies sounds awesome! But we need a high CBD low THC first - I'll see if I can order something this week that has an 8 week flower period. That way, I might be able to stagger the harvests.

I have used this site for some time. Has lots of good info that is quick reference.

Thanks @Hydroholic, I looked that up just now, and will use it in some of my future posts.

Daily Tips & Tricks
syZ3LYfZ.jpg
By Royal Queen Seeds

Basic Cannabis Knowledge: Genotype and Phenotype
Many growers tend to misuse the words genotype and phenotype when talking about cannabis. Let’s clear the smoke around this issue and resolve all the unnecessary confusion.

There’s a point in the life of every grower when suddenly questions arise. Most of the time, this moment of confusion comes right after completing the first couple of grows, and at the latest, when the same strain is repeatedly grown using the identical set-up.

Why in the world does every single cannabis plant grown from seed look slightly different?

When these or similar questions remain unanswered, a logical reaction for a rookie grower would be to switch to another breeder. The more experienced cultivators know that this phenomenon, meaning variations among different plants of the same strain, is natural and won’t get any better by changing the seed supplier. We have to keep in mind that seeds are products of living organisms and the outcome of a natural breeding process, hence unique as any person, animal or plant on earth. Although it’s tempting to characterize all the things around us, we’re quick to reach limitations when dealing with nature.

GENOTYPE, ENVIRONMENT, PHENOTYPE
Every living organism is the result of evolution that works by the same basic principle. The genotype or genetic code carries all the genetic information regarding growth, appearance, and all the characteristics we can later observe. It’s crucial to understand that a genotype or genetic code is not something that is set in stone but rather defines a certain range of possibilities. It mainly depends on the environment the organism lives in what specific bits and pieces of the genotype will be activated. The interaction between genotype and environment results in a phenotype, meaning the physical expression of certain genes the environment triggered.

genotype (G) + environment (E) + genotype and environment interactions (GE) = phenotype (P)

QUICK EXAMPLE: PURPLE STRAINS

Let’s examine a cannabis related example to get a better idea. You purchase seeds from a reputable breeder and intend to grow a purple strain. Instead of growing all plants in your indoor grow tent, you’ll decide on moving half of your plants outdoors. Besides the fact that no plant seems to be identical to one another, you’ll notice that the plants in your outdoor garden are much richer in purple colours compared to the ones in your indoor grow tent. Although the genotype carries the information to produce purple hues, it’s the environment, and in this particular case, the temperatures of the environment, that allow two different physical expressions (phenotypes) from seemingly the same genetic code (genotype).

THE COMMON MISASSUMPTION
We got the idea that the environment is the determining factor influencing a genotype to express different phenotypes, but this doesn’t answer the initial question why every cannabis plant grown from seed appears to be slightly different, even when it’s grown in a constant environment of an indoor grow room.

How can a strain possibly express different phenotypes when the environment doesn’t change?
Well, it’s maybe an inconvenient truth, but every single cannabis seed has its unique genotype. Many growers assume that seeds from the same cannabis strain share an identical genetic code and understandingly expect homogeneous growth. Unfortunately, this is a common misassumption. There are lots of people using the term phenotype to describe the variations of plants they get from the same strain grown from seed. In fact, and what they usually don’t know, they’re talking about different genotypes. It’s not only the environment that determines phenotypic expression, but logically also the genotype itself.

When you purchase seeds of a certain strain, you’ll receive “family members” of this strain that share a large percentage of genetics with thousands of (inbred) siblings, yet they’re not identical twins. The genotype is usually very close to identical, but there are still differences, comparable to fraternal twins if you will. That’s the main reason why every cannabis plant grown from seed expresses slight variations regarding characteristics like plant height, yield, flavour, etc. – the genotype of seeds is usually not identical.

END THE PHENOTYPE DILEMMA: SEEDS VS CLONES
If you want to take homogeneity to the next level, you have two different options. The first option is to germinate more seeds as you intend to grow, and simply select the ones that express the desired traits at an early stage. But if you’re aiming for maximum efficiency and consistency, your best option is to select a mother plant to take clones from. These clones copy the genotype of the mother plant 1:1 and you’ll continuously end up with the same phenotype assuming a constant environment. Let’s say you grow one of these identical clones using a hydro set-up, and one in organic soil. This varying environment might result in different phenotypes of the same genotype.

Dagobah Frost Forest
Update

yoda.png
Vegetation - Day 01

We had a lot of fun here today - we got a much needed washer & dryer - cleaned it all up with bleach n enzymes - and it works great!

I had to perform delicate surgery today to take the seed hood off of a seedling today - and if you've never done it - just be careful. I spray the seedling - wait an hour - then gently pull the seed hood off. Make sure you get the seed hood lining, otherwise the cotyledons will not open up.

Since all six seedlings are above ground now - we are officially on Veg Day 01!

I'm thinking tomorrow it's time to give them names and figure out their final pots.

Which reminds me, I decided to use 2 x 10 gallon pots instead of 1 x 25 gallon pot for the soil. There's just no way I could flush and then carry a 25 gallon pot saturated with water!

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend - because the seedlings sure did thriving under the Mars Hydro sun and getting their foliar showers four times a day :)

C'Mon Little Hippie Grow!​

Hippie Crippler. :rofl:
What a great name... I’ve got to look that one up.

Holla @BobbyZ , welcome to the Dagobah System! We're gonna be using the Force to grow us some really frosty plants!

BTW, I put the details for the Hippie Crippler at the beginning of the journal for us.

What's the funniest strain name you've grown so far amigo?

Holla @BobbyZ , welcome to the Dagobah System! We're gonna be using the Force to grow us some really frosty plants!

BTW, I put the details for the Hippie Crippler at the beginning of the journal for us.

What's the funniest strain name you've grown so far amigo?
Nothing really funny yet. I'm only 3-4 years into growing.
Your certainly organized, which typically makes for a good show. :popcorn:

And BIG pots!!!:yahoo:

Back
Top Bottom