DrZiggy's 1st Journal Featuring High Brix - LEDs & Cool Strains

I just checked the 'bay and you can get a brand-new 4ft, 6-bulb T8 fixture with bulbs for $110 shipped. :cheesygrinsmiley: Bulbs alone are about $4 shipped, depending on volume.

There....see...thanks for this Gray...i want everyone to see that post. Now then....how much is a similar T5? $$$$$$$
I would highly recommend that fixture ...good deal,well not bad anyhow. It prolly has three,two lamp ballasts in it. That light is PLENTY of lite for any veg . set up,any! If i had that one (like i do with my 4 lamp one) i would just remove some of the lamps and add them back in when more are needed as plants grow. Just make sure to take out the matching pair...know what i mean Gang.? I like using the 6500 lamps with it ...it 's the shit guys....it's perfect for us....T5's...BAHHHH. Cheers gang.

I just checked the 'bay and you can get a brand-new 4ft, 6-bulb T8 fixture with bulbs for $110 shipped. :cheesygrinsmiley: Bulbs alone are about $4 shipped, depending on volume.

I bought a 4', 8 bulb t5 and it was around $350 a couple months back and I have a few more 4' singles and they were $40-50. That's a big price difference!

4 ft T8s are 32 watts and 2700 lumens (84 lm/W), while T5HOs are 54 watts and 4500 lumens (83 lm/W).

6 x 4ft T8 is 192 watts and $110 = 57 cents/watt and $68/10000 lumens
4 x 4ft T5 is 216 watts and $105 = 49 cents/watt and $58/10000 lumens

? T5 is slightly cheaper.

But I like the idea of T8s better, too. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Congrats on your recent harvest Zig.

pics of the SWICKS :)

DSCN39893.JPG
DSCN39882.JPG
DSCN39872.JPG
DSCN39861.JPG
DSCN39852.JPG
DSCN39841.JPG
DSCN39834.JPG
DSCN39822.JPG

Hey Ziggs...just cruisin around...supposed to be with my son...he got a little sunstroke and had to miss his "Shooting And Puck Skills" this time.Didn't look so good when his mom brought him to it. Your tent always looks really busy ....lottsa fun. I was still feelin the cookies this afternoon Ziggs....Have a great night bud.

duggan, thanks man. you too.. get lots of water and electrolytes(minerals :)) into your son.

I think I am going to do a SWICK of Z'ACE (Ziggy/ACE blend) seeds next SWICK run!!

I like that idea. Let me second it. :thumb:

I'm glad you pointed this out. I've wondered the same thing. T5 appears to have about a 10% increase in efficiency over T8 but at more than twice the cost (typically). It makes more sense to me to use T8 even if it means more of them.

Bro, do you know what the actual efficiency numbers are? How many par watts vs dissipated watts do t5 and t8 bulbs produce?

Bro, do you know what the actual efficiency numbers are? How many par watts vs dissipated watts do t5 and t8 bulbs produce?

Sorry - not any longer. It was over a year ago when I was looking at them. I was working from memory in my post, but that's how I remember the two.
I do know Graytail(?) pointed out much lower priced T5's than I was able to find back then, so the price difference is no longer valid.

If you measure by the published lumen output and power draw, they're very close. :cheesygrinsmiley:

And that seller of the T5s has a particularly good price. T5s are usually quite a bit more than T8s.

efficiency #'s!

Best quality cobs, driven very low, eg .300/.700 mA. efficiency is better than 50% close to 60%. Excellent for vegging.

Pffft!

I was comparing T8s and T5s, not flourors and LEDs. :cheesygrinsmiley:

When they start making white/blue COB panels with the clearance and dispersion of floros for a buck a watt, I'll snap 'em up. Meanwhile, this Par-Force panel I'm running is pretty impressive. Many many low-watt phosphor-coated blues over a very large footprint - kinda the opposite of COBs. It runs cool as a cucumber - perfect for a cabinet grow. :cheesygrinsmiley:

[Edit] That seemed a bit abrupt when I reread it. I'm actually quite interested in newer LED tech. It's just that I haven't seen great things from COBs yet, and some striking disappointments. I want more programmability. I want to be able to set custom spectrum and timing for several bands, like far red for instance. I want a wifi chip and a camera. I want some sort of vent hood. Efficiency would be nice, too. :cheesygrinsmiley:

As far as shape and design, I want larger panels with more widely set emitters. 200 watt panels in a 20 inch square would fit 4 in a 4x4 and completely cover the canopy. All that seems to point away from COBs, no matter their efficiency. Does that efficiency work for smaller COBs? Could you put 25 x one watters on a chip and run it at 12 watts, for instance? I suppose that ruins the economies of scale.

bro the thing about "buck a watt" is that a watt of heat isnt useful for photosynthesis. How many par watts are those "cool as a cucumber" lamps producing?

Gardeners growing with best quality cobs are killing it. I have never heard of a disappointment from a cree or bridgelux cob panel. There are plenty of journals. For conclusive evidence visit the site that is the main spot for cannabis led tech. Im pretty sure we will see a new generation of cob based led grow lights replace the current monochromatic diodes very soon.

So true about the cob spacing. im stretching my lamp by 30" adding 4 cobs.

The cree cobs are amazingly efficient when driven at low current. The data sheets are out there. i think cxb 3590s at .3mA are ~ 60% efficient. What can compare?

Those other goodies you desire sound fantastic. Wifi, camera etc love it. Building lights that efficiently make par rather than heat is the most important design consideration for me.

I did some checking, and Wiki says T8s are about 12-15% efficient. T5s are about 10-15%.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom