GDB's Thanksgiving Harvest

Hello grow group!

While no one would ever accuse me of having a scientific mind, I do like to make observations about my plants and act on what I observe as best as I can. And I'm not afraid to experiment.

That said, I was a little concerned about the 2 Grandaddy Black plants that I attempted to drought. As I took them down I noticed that certain parts of them felt a little crispy. When I finished trimming them, per usual, I put them in a big paper bag and stuck it in the fridge for an overnight period.

But the next day I started thinking, "Why not just dry them all in that big bag inside the fridge?" I figured all I'd have to do was move them around daily so that the same branches would not always be on the bottom of the bag.

I saw this as a potential "game changer" for me as far as drying goes. (During the winter my house is very dry with RH levels consistently around 30%. I had no empty tent that I could use with my smallish humidifiers, so the fridge route is nearly mandatory unless I buy a huge humidifier, which I don't want to do.)

So I left the stash in the fridge and once or twice a day I'd reach into the bag and reposition the branches. I let them stay in there from this past Saturday to last night, rotating them around all along the way.

Then last night I took them out and jabbed them with my Wood Moisture Meter (WMM). What an eye-opener! The buds at the tops of each branch barely registered any moisture on the WMM! All the buds below the top ones registered around 11-12% moisture!

It appears that the buds that were closest to the grow light got "droughtiered" than all the others. And, yes, they were all quite dry for having been in the fridge for only 4 days.

I decided to bag (not jar) them up. But before I did, I removed all of the lower buds from the branches and put them in one pile. Then I removed all the top buds for a separate pile. (I wish I had taken it pic of all the branches with just the top buds remaining. It was funny-looking! But I was too wrapped up in what I was trying to accomplish to pause and take pics.)

@InTheShed introduced me (us) to the concept of using turkey bags for burping buds down to the ideal RH before jarring them. I thank him for that because opening/closing a bunch of jars is just no fun. But rather than turkey bags I chose to use GDBBurpers®, pictured here:

IMG_6226.jpg

I put the top buds into one burper and the bottom ones into another.

I had 4 hygrometers available, 2 of which read 29RH, one which registered 30 and the other 31. Thus all were close to being accurate. (Those things drive me nuts!) I decided to use the 2 that were reading 29%.

I bagged them up, put them back into the big paper bag and stuck them back in the fridge for overnight. Oh, and I placed 4 fresh branches in the bag with the top buds (shout out to @Carmen Ray).

This morning, the hygrometer in the top-bud bag read 64% and the one with the bottom buds read 68%.

Top-bud burper:
top-bud burper 1-25-23.jpg

Bottom-buds burper:
bottom-bud burper 1-25-23.jpg

So I've got one conclusion and one hope:

Conclusion: I over-droughted these flowers and they were already partially dry when I took them down.
Hope: I hope I didn't screw the pooch.

BTW, I weighed both piles before bagging them and the top-buds weighed 106 grams while the bottom buds weighed 216 grams. So if I didn't screw the pooch not a bad haul by my standards.

Later on today I'm going to smash and dab about 5 grams from the top-bud bag to see what results. I'll let you know!

PEACE.

Dang! I keeping forgetting my manners:

Good to know it works for you :hookah: :headbanger: 😍
Thanks Smoke! But in all honesty, any weed that doesn't work for me is some real shitty weed! :cough:
have you tried a dry herb vape? i find it easier on the lungs
Yep. I've got a few of those con and I use them often! However, if I really want to get a feel for the taste I like to combust it. :)
Belated congrats on 2 more great harvests!
They looked a little rough till you got rid of those leaves...now they look yummy
Thanks Carcass. A "little rough?" Very tactful of you! :laugh:
so, GDB's "special Thanksgiving blend"?
MLK day blend! :)
Always good to get your lungs as open as possible first!
Mandatory for me Shed.
Like turkey, sweet potatoes, and stuffing all on the same fork! And now I'm starving... :morenutes:
That's supposed to go in a sandwich! :)
That's the sign you did good! Drought on!
I'm not so certain about that Stone. But we'll see!
I like to put three or four in a jar then I can get a nice average humidity reading.:cheesygrinsmiley:
You need to leave a little room for some weed to go in there Nev! :laugh:

yeah i know what you mean i like a good joint every once in a while for the taste, but was surprised the weed from my first grow has good taste through out the whole session with my vape (never had that happen before) using a Arizer Solo II

Hello grow group!

While no one would ever accuse me of having a scientific mind, I do like to make observations about my plants and act on what I observe as best as I can. And I'm not afraid to experiment.
I put the top buds into one burper and the bottom ones into another.
I had 4 hygrometers available, 2 of which read 29RH, one which registered 30 and the other 31. Thus all were close to being accurate. (Those things drive me nuts!) I decided to use the 2 that were reading 29%.
I bagged them up, put them back into the big paper bag and stuck them back in the fridge for overnight. Oh, and I placed 4 fresh branches in the bag with the top buds (shout out to @Carmen Ray).
This morning, the hygrometer in the top-bud bag read 64% and the one with the bottom buds read 68%.
Top-bud burper:
Bottom-buds burper:
Nice bit of science anecdote there! :welldone:making notes and keeping track.

But rather than turkey bags I chose to use GDBBurpers®, pictured here:
Look for them at a store near you!
Conclusion: I over-droughted these flowers and they were already partially dry when I took them down.
Hope: I hope I didn't screw the pooch.
BTW, I weighed both piles before bagging them and the top-buds weighed 106 grams while the bottom buds weighed 216 grams. So if I didn't screw the pooch not a bad haul by my standards.
Later on today I'm going to smash and dab about 5 grams from the top-bud bag to see what results. I'll let you know
Not a bad haul indeed, and all pooches are safe since the GDBBurpers® are in the 60s!

yeah i know what you mean i like a good joint every once in a while for the taste, but was surprised the weed from my first grow has good taste through out the whole session with my vape (never had that happen before) using a Arizer Solo II
Sounds like a nice surprise Con! :Rasta:

Nice bit of science anecdote there! :welldone:making notes and keeping track.

Look for them at a store near you!

Not a bad haul indeed, and all pooches are safe since the GDBBurpers® are in the 60s!
Did you strikeout the second "B" in GDBBurpers? Didn't you see the ®? You can't do that. :straightface:

Hello growers.

Just a quick update on the status of the droughted buds.

Overnight, the top-bud bag decreased from 64 to 62RH. The bottom-bud bag increased from 68 to 70RH. So this morning I opened up the bottom-bud bag, splayed all the buds around and will leave it open for several hours. I did not open the top-bud bag except to remove a few buds for some smashing and dabbing, speaking of which...

I got this nearly 5gram bud from the top-bud bag and smashed it at 185F, for about 2 minutes, using a 120 micron bag.
GDB smash subject 1-26-23.jpg

I haven't smashed since the last time I had some fresh weed and that's been a minute. My memory failed me a bit and I did not set up the bag properly, causing a lot of the goodies to get stuck in the bag. (I think I can get some of it out with a second smash.)

But what I did get was really eye-catching. A pretty and nearly crystalline return. It was super easy to remove from the parchment paper!
GDB 1st smash 1-26-23.JPG

I put a small bit into the @Ispire Daab and went for a sail! Honestly!

This is some good stuff! :kiss:

PEACE.

Looks like some dandy daabage! That @Ispire is a big hammer! The minds it blows!💥
Yeah, you're right about the gadget! But it looks like they're gone as a sponsor, at least for now.

These are awkward 420 moments. 🫤

I do like to make observations about my plants and act on what I observe as best as I can. And I'm not afraid to experiment.
That you do GD and at times you’ve had some pretty darn good results. Myself I kinda just sit around watching the grass grow mowen down on vanilla ice cream cones and grape kool-Aid :laughtwo:

Sorry I'm late. Congrats on all your harvests, GDB! Is the Pineapple Express still alive and growing?

Sorry that the droughting didn't go according to plan. Next time it should be easier.

Nice smashing. Is the Ispire a smoking or a vaping device? Is it strictly for concentrates?

Nice smash and whose Christmas card is that? And your technique will become familiar again with all this fresh bud to put through the ringer!

Merely a serving suggestion from the peanut gallery. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Thanks Shed.

That's no Christmas card. It's a piece of junk mail. I collect the glossy little cards I'm sent and use them to weigh buds and dry nutrients on my little scale. Keeps the scale clean!

That you do GD and at times you’ve had some pretty darn good results. Myself I kinda just sit around watching the grass grow mowen down on vanilla ice cream cones and grape kool-Aid :laughtwo:
LMAO! That sounds like an acquired taste Nev! :)

Sorry I'm late. Congrats on all your harvests, GDB! Is the Pineapple Express still alive and growing?

Sorry that the droughting didn't go according to plan. Next time it should be easier.

Nice smashing. Is the Ispire a smoking or a vaping device? Is it strictly for concentrates?
The PE is still alive and beginning to try my patience.

The Ispire daab, as the name suggests, is for concentrates and if I'm not careful it will blow my head clean off!:)

Hello growers.

At last I can report on the chop of the Pineapple Express on her Flip + 88!

First let me say that during the few years that I've been growing I've learned to kinda' ignore the condition of the fan leaves near the end of my grows. I did this out of necessity because most of my plants have looked like crap (leaf-wise) by the end.

The PE fits right into that pattern. She went from what I thought was a fairly pretty plant about 3 weeks ago to a butt-ugly plant now. Most of her fans are either gone or dried up/done.

But my focus was on the buds! 👀

So without regrets:

Pineapple Express OBIT pic:
PE END 2-1-23 F88.jpg

Silhouette Pic:
PE END silhoulette 2-1-23 F88.jpg

And after a trim:
PE END trimmed 2-1-23 F88.jpg

Her buds are heavy, hard and sticky (512g wet for a fairly small plant):
PE END bud 2-1-23 F88.JPG

And frosty:
PE END close-up 2-1-23 F88.JPG

And finally, a few trich pics on her last day:
PE trich 2-1-23 F88.jpg

PE trich1 2-1-23 F88.jpg

PE trich2 2-1-23 F88.jpg

I usually like to wait for a little more amber, but there didn't seem to be an upside to letting this plant go for any longer.

I think I may have fried her leaves with the Roots Organics Bloom Booster by either using too much (doubtful) or starting them to soon (more likely). It was my first time using it so I'm not sure.

But hey, I'm living and learning here.

So my last "Thanksgiving Harvest" plant is down...a mere 69 days after Thanksgiving! :)

I sincerely thank those of you who had the patience to follow along!

PEACE.

Back
Top Bottom