Canuk Seeds: GDB Just Canuking Around

Hello all and Happy Sunday!

I took a much-needed mental health break from trying to germinate seeds but now I'm back at it.

Unfortunately, it did not take long for things to go south again. :straightface:

My latest attempt consists of five seeds. Cement Shoes & L.A. Confidential from Canuk, Chemdog #4 from Herbies, Californian Snow auto from Fastbuds and the absolute last seed of my beloved Cosmic Lights, from 420NewGuys. The Cosmic Lights is one of my fav strains. I tried to germinate my next-to-last one a few weeks back. It arose from the soil but then never got going and eventually died. So I'm really, really hoping that this last one strikes. The strain has been discontinued and I won't get another shot.

This time around I decided to skip the seed soak and the paper towels. I merely scarified the seeds with a mild sandpaper and placed them in Rapid Rooters. The RRs were placed in a seedling tray (with a dome) and the tray is sitting on a heat mat. RH in the tent is around 80%.

I placed the seeds this past Friday at 10:30 am.

This morning, the Cosmic Lights had broken the surface!

Alas, it was upside down, with the tap root emerging from the plug.
Upside dow CL 2-11-24 (2).JPG

Upside dow CL 2-11-24 (1).JPG

Sometimes even profanity does not fully express the way one feels, but when I saw this I tried mightily to make it as expressive as I could. 😵‍💫

I gently dug the CL out of the plug and stuck her back in, root-first.
Upside dow CL 2-11-24 (3).JPG

Now to watch and wait.

Not even momma said there'd be days like this! 🙄

-----------------------------------------

Thanks for looking in and have yourself a wonderful Sunday!

PEACE
Well at least 1 is up & going, maybe the germination issue was from to much bleach/chemicals in making of the paper towel combined with other chems in the tap water i had a few fail to germ also the last few grows & i think next time i'll try germinating in the cotton facial wipes the dry ones, seen a vid on it & said chemicals in paper towel some times kill seeds, just a thought

I haven't had one come up root first sine I started putting the seed deeper in the plug, about 1/2".

Well at least 1 is up & going, maybe the germination issue was from to much bleach/chemicals in making of the paper towel combined with other chems in the tap water i had a few fail to germ also the last few grows & i think next time i'll try germinating in the cotton facial wipes the dry ones, seen a vid on it & said chemicals in paper towel some times kill seeds, just a thought
Thanks con. I've never heard about the chemicals in paper towels. Something to think about!

I didn't use paper towels in my latest attempt so hopefully I'll get better results.

I haven't had one come up root first sine I started putting the seed deeper in the plug, about 1/2".
This was my first upside-down germination ever! Luckily the seedling seems to have survived.

Hello all.

I CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP!

Yesterday I had another seed emerge from its plug. It was the L.A. Confidential. I'm not sure what happened to it but it looks like the cotyledons somehow got scraped off as it emerged. So what I see is nearly unrecognizable as a weed plant.

Where is @BooWho2 when I need her? This is "ridiculous"!
LAC seedling 2-13-24.jpg

On a brighter note, the upside-down Cosmic Lights seedling seems to be a survivor.
Cosmic seedling 2-13-24.jpg

I see movement in the plugs containing the photo plants (Cement Shoes & Chemdog #4) but no movement in the auto plug (Californian Snow).

What next? 🙄

Thanks for looking in.

PEACE

Hello all.

I CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP!

Yesterday I had another seed emerge from its plug. It was the L.A. Confidential. I'm not sure what happened to it but it looks like the cotyledons somehow got scraped off as it emerged. So what I see is nearly unrecognizable as a weed plant.

Where is @BooWho2 when I need her? This is "ridiculous"!
LAC seedling 2-13-24.jpg

On a brighter note, the upside-down Cosmic Lights seedling seems to be a survivor.

I see movement in the plugs containing the photo plants (Cement Shoes & Chemdog #4) but no movement in the auto plug (Californian Snow).

What next? 🙄

Thanks for looking in.

PEACE
There's still hope for the LA Confidential.
If you look closely you can see the tiny beginnings of the first set of true leaves. It's just possible that it has enough energy to get those a little bigger, at which point they should be able to start photosynthesis.

There's still hope for the LA Confidential.
If you look closely you can see the tiny beginnings of the first set of true leaves. It's just possible that it has enough energy to get those a little bigger, at which point they should be able to start photosynthesis.
Thanks Mel. That is the only reason it's still sitting there! :straightface:

You'll have to feed her a little something too- no cotyledons means no food "on board"...
She'll probably do just fine once the leaves get a little bigger....
Hey- at least she did sprout!
This was my first upside-down germination ever!
My GSC came up root first, and it ended up doing ok..
Nice save on the Cosmic Lights!

I respect you guys and your technical sprouting routines. I tried doing all that stuff and ended up getting my pecker caught in the ceiling fan. (Old construction site joke :rofl:)
The more I futz around with delicate processes, the worse it gets. I just poke seeds into the dirt with my dirty finger and let Jesus take the wheel now.

On the bright side, the Cosmic Lights survived! 🤞 for the rest, you've had enough headaches!
There is that bright side 2Water! As for the future I guess the beatings will continue until morale improves. 🙂
Heartbreaking dude , strange seeds u got there brother , take care & keep the faith 🤙✌️
"Strange" you say? ThirdUncle, you should hear what I've called them! 😁
Congrats on the successful recovery of the Cosmic Lights! I'm with Mel on the headless horseman, and if that white bit at the base is a root I think you should tear off a bit of the rooter and cover it.
Thanx Shed.

That's a bit of mycos you see. I missed the hole. (Oww!)
You'll have to feed her a little something too- no cotyledons means no food "on board"...
She'll probably do just fine once the leaves get a little bigger....
Hey- at least she did sprout!
I put a tiny bit of Strive in the water I used to both soak the Rooters and put in the base of the tray. That should help her if she's inclined to be helped.
My GSC came up root first, and it ended up doing ok..
Nice save on the Cosmic Lights!
It ended up doing okay?! That's a bit of an understatement. :Rasta:

That Cosmic Lights might have saved me! :yahoo:

I respect you guys and your technical sprouting routines. I tried doing all that stuff and ended up getting my pecker caught in the ceiling fan. (Old construction site joke :rofl:)
The more I futz around with delicate processes, the worse it gets. I just poke seeds into the dirt with my dirty finger and let Jesus take the wheel now.
Rhino, are you accusing me of futzing around just because I like to keep my hands clean? 😁

This was my first upside-down germination ever! Luckily the seedling seems to have survived.
Don’t worry GDB, your good luck charm (me) has arrived!

ridiculous"!
LAC seedling 2-13-24.jpg
I know I shouldn’t laugh with all the trials and tribulations you’ve been growing through, but I couldn’t help it on this one! At least she’s happy to see you?

upside-down Cosmic Lights seedling seems to be a survivor.
Ahh, you’re welcome. ;)

Honestly, I’m really glad that this one decided to live, since she was such a favorite for you. You’ll have to keep a clone going for a while if they don’t sell them anymore. That’s a valuable baby right there! Congrats GDB, the one that counted most, made it!! :partyboy:

Back
Top Bottom