Grape Ape & Golden Tiger Hit the Shower - DBHBB & 600W HPS - Winter 2016

This grow is kicking my a$$. I feel like my second run soil is toxic but I have no idea why. Nothing was added to it except "Kit" ingredients.

Recap:

I germinated all seeds in UNAMENDED kit soil from my last HB grow. 100% germination and the sprouts looked good.
TYKES3.jpg

Within one week all plants become stunted with yellowing, droopy leaves. Nothing has been added and they do not need water.
Sick_Tykes_1.jpg

I up-potted them to 1 gal pots now that the kit soil has cooked for 36 days at 75 degrees. This 2nd run soil has some of the roots from the previous grow, about 15 lbs. of EWC and the Amendment. The plants were potted with Roots! and 1/4 Transplant (in this case I used 2 ml + 1 ml Tea, total for all 8 plants)
20151214_133148.jpg

The amended soil seemed to do the trick...
Toddlers2.jpg

...so I moved them out to the shower for more light and room, but then they took another nose dive.
20160103_070616.jpg

At first I thought they needed to get adjusted to the lights that were about 18" from the top of the canopy. I moved the lights up. It has been one week but they still have not bounced back. They received one Growth Energy drench with Tea and they all get one Brix (1 oz.) and one DeStress (1/2 oz.) per week.

Even though I'm using the same concentrations as my previous grow, the plants are getting lighter green and bottom leaves are yellowing. Some are better than others, but no shine on any and new growth is still slow and stunted.

I think my next move is a rescue drench. Maybe I'm not giving them a strong enough drench concentration with their diet (?). I figure it will either cure 'em or kill 'em. Either way, I've got to figure this out or go back to my organic soil mix.

Lights on = 79 degrees / lights off = 70 degrees
RH is low at 35% - 45%. I can't get it much higher right now, but this has always been the case. I've not had this kind of problem in the past.

Any other ideas, gang?

:thanks:

Any chance you're overwatering, Major? Have you let them wilt yet? Dunk soaking them?

Any chance you're overwatering, Major? Have you let them wilt yet? Dunk soaking them?

Not a chance. I know that's what it looks like, but they've only had one drench since they were up-potted when they were light as a feather and wilting. They also don't bounce back with a drench like I'm used to.

I had the same issue with mine Major until I gave them some epsom salts and a heavy transplant drench. Pull one out of the pot and look at the roots

yep. Let's see what the roots look like.

I wouldn't add epsoms at this stage, but the rescue drench is spot on.

give them a thorough flushing. Let them dry out, then rescue drench.

It's clear the roots aren't hooked up. The question is why? You've added nothing you shouldn't have added.....what brand were the EWC?

It's clear the roots aren't hooked up. The question is why? You've added nothing you shouldn't have added.....what brand were the EWC?

It is Vital Earth's MegaWorm.
I'll knock one or two out and get a picture of the roots in a little while. My wife just went to town and grabbed my phone.

One picture is worth a thousand words, but I knocked the two worst plants out of their pots. One GT+ (Sativa) and one GASS (Indica). They look good but I would expect a little more development after three weeks in these pots. The soil held together well with the roots to the bottom and out to sides most of the way up. No rot and no wetness in the bottom of the pot. I think they would normally be ready for the next drench in one or two more days.

I'll still post a picture but it looks like it will be lights-out by the time my wife gets back with my phone. We have neighbors coming over this afternoon. I'll try for uploading root pic's this evening.

My wife made a liar out of me (what else is new). :cheesygrinsmiley:
I no sooner posted above than she walked through the door.
Here are root pictures from the two worst looking plants - one from each strain.

GASS
20160104_113200.jpg

GT+
20160104_113106.jpg

My next question is the same about the ewc. Too strong will make them wilt like that until they get used to it

Better late than never as they say!:laughtwo: Pulling up a chair in the back row to enjoy the show Major.:blunt:

Better late than never as they say!:laughtwo: Pulling up a chair in the back row to enjoy the show Major.:blunt:

Welcome CM!
Just in time to see the poop hit the fan!

I'd upcan 'em. :slide:

Every time I've done that with a weak plant, it perked right back up. Yours look like they have good rootballs - get 'em some more soil to work with. :cheesygrinsmiley: Vegging plants in small pots often don't do well for me, so I move them into the 6 gallons as soon as I see any sign of stall in the 1.5s. In fact, Rescue drench poured into more soil might be an even better "spark". I don't see how your soil could be bad ... how fast does it digest leaves? You don't have any sneaky chloramines in your water? Anything that might harm the biota?

And my habit is to give Brix to thriving plants and withhold it if they look weak. Brix is a "booster" - you got nothin' to boost. :cheesygrinsmiley: Use dilute DeStress for weak foliage.

:popcorn:

I'm just going to get in where I fit in and start from here if you don't mind Pita.

I'd upcan 'em. :slide:

Every time I've done that with a weak plant, it perked right back up. Yours look like they have good rootballs - get 'em some more soil to work with. :cheesygrinsmiley: Vegging plants in small pots often don't do well for me, so I move them into the 6 gallons as soon as I see any sign of stall in the 1.5s. In fact, Rescue drench poured into more soil might be an even better "spark". I don't see how your soil could be bad ... how fast does it digest leaves? You don't have any sneaky chloramines in your water? Anything that might harm the biota?

And my habit is to give Brix to thriving plants and withhold it if they look weak. Brix is a "booster" - you got nothin' to boost. :cheesygrinsmiley: Use dilute DeStress for weak foliage.
Thanks much GT! I want to flip and up-can. Since I can only keep four of them, I need to flip them ASAP. I don't have room for all of them in the shower.

Unless...I put two in each 7 gal pot, flip them, then cull the smaller,weaker, more masculine plant...

I wasn't expecting them to go south so quick in these pots.

:popcorn:

I'm just going to get in where I fit in and start from here if you don't mind Pita.
Long time / no see. You always fit in my shower, Reg. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom