Maine 4-Season Greenhouse Grow

So, the weather for the next week looks like rain....which I imagine will be a challenge for strictly outdoor growers... @Bode will hopefully give some feedback on how his plants do...it's fortunate at least that they are in veg and not getting their flowers drenched....which really makes me wonder how this Summer and Fall will unfold...I learned some painful rot lessons last year and I'm feeling fairly confident that I can manage this year...on a positive note, the current 50F nighttime temps make for excellent sleeping weather :)

Highya BH,

You're right about the rainy forecast. So far my ladies are doing well. Standing tall, a little droopy, but not real bad. We have great drainage in the garden. Organic matter is plentiful, I add more bacteria weekly to help break it all down. I don't see any deficiencies. I will have to stake them up, though. I'm hoping the botrytis won't hit real bad with these mobsta girls. They're supposed to be bred for this climate; at least that was the word of mouth when I bought them. Guess we'll give them a real test this year!! I'll keep you posted! Cheers.

You're right about the rainy forecast. So far my ladies are doing well. Standing tall, a little droopy, but not real bad. We have great drainage in the garden. Organic matter is plentiful, I add more bacteria weekly to help break it all down. I don't see any deficiencies. I will have to stake them up, though. I'm hoping the botrytis won't hit real bad with these mobsta girls. They're supposed to be bred for this climate; at least that was the word of mouth when I bought them. Guess we'll give them a real test this year!! I'll keep you posted! Cheers.
Indeed, the breeder can become infamous if they flourish in this weather! I just looked at botrytis in wikipedia because I don' know if it affect plants in veg...they keep referring to fruit. Is rot the primary challenge or is there another mold that is more of a threat under constant rainy spring conditions? I'll wait for someone smarter to chime in :cheesygrinsmiley:

I've not seen anything affecting the veg growth except little insects. They grow fast enough so I don't worry about a few casual insect holes in the leaves. Botrytis affects only the buds (fruit) and at real humid conditions (above 70%) and temps between 60-70 degrees for a couple days continuously. We usually get those conditions at least twice during mid September through mid October. Hope it isn't starting now and lasting until harvest!!! That would be seriously not cool! Well, guess I'll see if my ladies made it through the night. Cheers

Any reason not to apply it proactively?

No not at all. Supposed to apply that way. It will get rid of the spores.

I'm spraying all my plants 1x a week with it now. Just sprayed yesterday and today was looking at my plants and now have spider fvcks again. The heat brings em on. I gotta get my AC going ffs.

You asked about plants in VEG. Well for mold the spores get on the leaves. When the flowers grow around the base of those leaves with the spores on them and then surround the leaf with flowers, there's a nice warm dark moist place for the spores to spring to life. Bam bud rot.

2 options - treat with the spray and/or run plants bred genetically to fight off molds.

The bottle from Stoneotter is the same active ingredient in the Southern Ag stuff I use. Of course from the hydro store its got hydro store pricing. Yawn.

I think there's a shelf life with all the organic treatments that use bacteria. So read the label and the dates is always a good idea.

I chose the Southern Ag stuff cause its on the OK list for organic farming in Oregon State. Also on the list with "no protective clothing" required. Which is always nice to know.

Interesting thread. I'm an outside grower(greenhouse), too, and we've had an extremely wet year so far. Around here all the farmers irrigate with ditch water, and this is the latest in 50 years that my neighbor has gone without irrigating. He can't even get his tractor into his fields to drag his ditches as the ground is saturated. Grass in my field is almost chest high. Usually only have to fight powdery mildew here, and neem seems to take care of that and most critters. I still have to fight hoppers, which can do a lot of damage.

Interesting thread. I'm an outside grower(greenhouse), too, and we've had an extremely wet year so far. Around here all the farmers irrigate with ditch water, and this is the latest in 50 years that my neighbor has gone without irrigating. He can't even get his tractor into his fields to drag his ditches as the ground is saturated. Grass in my field is almost chest high.
Likewise, this time last year I was running irrigation everywhere but this year so much rain everything is growing like gangbusters w/o me doing anything. We rent out accommodations on our farm and yesterday I saw a review where a guest kind of passive/aggressive commented the "stream is beautiful...but you need to walk through the tall grass"...guess they expected a manicured path through the field :rofl:

Did you show them where you kept the lawn mower, lol?!?

Did you show them where you kept the lawn mower, lol?!?
I don't even own a lawn mower...it's my bushhog on my tractor and it's far down my list. Judging by the size of the woman, she doesn't walk much anyway ... :rolleyes:

lol, they're always the ones who fuss the most!

Kitchen and Shower finished! Just a basic clean of the Cabin and we are ready for first guests Monday...my kids are tired of hearing me saying "First guests Monday!" but I keep repeating it because I almost took this whole summer to finish it. I am thinking of a cool "thank you" gift for the guy who crushed it with me....he's my new hero, and gives me hope for (some of) the younger generation. I'm annoying to work with because if I am moving so should everyone else...this guy would wait for 15 seconds and if I was messing with something he would do something else...sweep, organize tools, anything but stand there mouth-breathing. His business is carpentry/woodworking and I am open to ideas for a cool gift (I already gifted him cannabis and fresh ham, so that's covered ;) )

Back
Top Bottom