Duggan Does Purple Envy, Star Pupil & Black Cherry Punch With Doc's Gear!

Hey Doogs. I want to pose this question here since you get more traffic, I hope that is ok.

Yesterday on IG I learned about Dry trimming over wet trimming. The consensus over there was dry is much better for flavor and terp retention. So they chop the plant, let dry and then trim. Does anyone here do that? Thoughts?

Dry trimming vs wet trimming?

I thought leaving the leaves on would make the bus smelllike hay but they were saying the opposite.

Tagging a few people here @SweetSue. @TheGreenYeti. @Graytail. @overlord @Stage @Doc Bud

I do kind of a combo of wet and dry. I like to trim as many big fans off her as I can while she is still in the pot. From there, I start chopping the colas down. I don't generally trim for bag appeal so I don't take a lot off when I wet trim.....just the big fans I can get to with the plant still whole and then all the remaining fan leaves when I go over each cola. From there I bud was and hang dry for 2-3 days. At this point, the buds have shrunk enough for me to gain access to hard to snip fan leaves. The fiskars can get down in there with the fine tip.

I don't trim much in way of sugar leaves unless they are big. I generally let the smaller ones that aren't discolored just kind of curl up into the bud.

I don't get much of a hay smell at all when i trim this way and the buds smell amazing. It breaks my harvest up into two parts which is much easier for me and my back (trim prison is hell on my back and neck and shoulders).

After the 2nd trim 2-3 days later, I put the harvest into paper lunch bags (about 50 grams per bag) and into the fridge for 10-14 days to dry the slow and low method. Definitely smells better doing it my way than doing a full wet trim when i cut them down.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way. I think you do what fits into your schedule and what you prefer. Duggs has his preferences, I have mine, you will find yours. Like everything else, experiment and see what fits your life best.

I never noticed, and I've using'em for 5 years. :hmmmm: You'd think I would have noticed.

I think something like a low-n-slow cure would have a bigger effect. That's where I'm going if I want to play with terps. That and refrigerated storage.

:bongrip:
I love the slow and low. Tried drying two different blue dream plants and the slow and low came out smelling better. Can't really notice any difference in potency or effect. I am doing a combo slow and low dry with the turkey bag cure in the fridge. I pull the bag out of the fridge every day for an hour or two....fill the turkey bag up with air and tie it off to sit for an hour. Then after the hour, I open the bag up....mix it around nicely and put it back in the fridge with the top of the bag opened. I keep repeating this daily.

Dr Doob has been banned from this site for not thinking positive, ha!:rofl: think 32 and above!

The way Neiko does it sounds a shit ton easier than wet trimming! Do I have that right Neiko?
I do it very similar to Neiko....came to it on my own and its definitely my preferred way. I guess if I see a nice bud that I might want to trim nicely for potential NOTM, I would want to wet trim it. But for ease of use and not really caring what the buds look like, the way I described is best and easiest way for me.

Lots of great discussion on the whole process.

We just need to get the rest of the world to follow our lead!

Have a difference of opinion on how to do things?......thats ok! I love this place. Discussions without name calling and bashing, what a novel concept.

Before washing I remove all the leaves I can get to the base stem of, then any parts on any remaining leaves without trichs on them and hang branches on these super handy cloths drying racks I found.

I then do a final quick easy dry trim a nug at a time as I smoke bong or pipe loads, or am giving some away. When I roll joints I just grind up the little crystallized leaves along with the buds. My herbs only smell like hay if it’s much too dry when I hang them which I insure no longer happens.

I personally think the leaves protect the buds and trichs when drying, storing and handling. Which is my just excuse for lazily leaving them on. ;)

Now I’m better at curing I’m going to try to stop using the humidity packs all together. They just help stabilization, which is easy enough to do without them.
:passitleft:

Thats cool Krip...i dont have that kinda time.When i trim ..i wanna be done...move on to the next step....hanging ..then weighing and jaring.
Yer duggs. Ive experimented this harvest and definitey prefer the finished product of wet trim more and its definitely easier FOR ME. Whatever any1 elses argument is... cool. But I know what I like now

Before washing I remove all the leaves I can get to the base stem of, then any parts on any remaining leaves without trichs on them and hang branches on these super handy cloths drying racks I found.

I then do a final quick easy dry trim a nug at a time as I smoke bong or pipe loads, or am giving some away. When I roll joints I just grind up the little crystallized leaves along with the buds. My herbs only smell like hay if it’s much too dry when I hang them which I insure no longer happens.

I personally think the leaves protect the buds and trichs when drying, storing and handling. Which is my just excuse for lazily leaving them on. ;)

Now I’m better at curing I’m going to try to stop using the humidity packs all together. They just help stabilization, which is easy enough to do without them.

I think the humidity packs are better suited for long term storage than for curing.

Yer duggs. Ive experimented this harvest and definitey prefer the finished product of wet trim more and its definitely easier FOR ME. Whatever any1 elses argument is... cool. But I know what I like now
To be fair though i dont trim super fine. I take the fans and trim mostly green tips off the sugar leaves then leave most of the sugar leaves to dry

I think the humidity packs are better suited for long term storage than for curing.
My jars empty so fast it’s the same thing in my world. Three months curing time is about as long term as it gets. Hmmm I just now remembered I vacuum sealed some in a jar months ago, yay it’s like Christmas day!

I just put the Boveda packs in jars as soon as I put nugs in them.

Dr Doob has been banned from this site for not thinking positive, ha!:rofl: think 32 and above!

The way Neiko does it sounds a shit ton easier than wet trimming! Do I have that right Neiko?

You do. Since I basically quit trimming it is the easiest way to do it. My patients are educated and prefer I leave the sugar leaves on. They appreciate the sugar leaf and would be disappointed if I trimmed them all off. What used to take me forever now is a breeze. I can take a 6 oz plant washed and hung in about 1.5 hours. I just pull the fans and anything ugly and leave the rest. I despise trimming so this has worked very well for me. I use the same buds for extractions, oil and butter so no need to save trim.

So in conclusion, you have no idea what your going to do. :rofl:

It's nice when people can have an adult conversation without throwing around insults, that's what is great about the mag :ganjamon:.

Ha, KB you funny! :rofl: you're right, I'm waffling just like that guy in the boveda/boost comparison video! I am sold on trying dry trim, sounds easier to me because I was getting far to particular with wet trimming and took way too long! As far as slow and low, it depends on how much room I'll have I'm the fridge, ha! It always seems packed yet there is nothing to eat! :hmmmm:

We just need to get the rest of the world to follow our lead!

Have a difference of opinion on how to do things?......thats ok! I love this place. Discussions without name calling and bashing, what a novel concept.

Agreed, I love this place!

Exactly Doobs, results should be fairly similar, what matters is what works for each person!

You do. Since I basically quit trimming it is the easiest way to do it. My patients are educated and prefer I leave the sugar leaves on. They appreciate the sugar leaf and would be disappointed if I trimmed them all off. What used to take me forever now is a breeze. I can take a 6 oz plant washed and hung in about 1.5 hours. I just pull the fans and anything ugly and leave the rest. I despise trimming so this has worked very well for me. I use the same buds for extractions, oil and butter so no need to save trim.

Thanks again Neiko! I'm excited to try it! I stopped over to Doc's and he said the same thing.

I feel like a complete dork that I didn't even know what dry trimming was until the other day and appreciate being able to discuss it here, thanks Duggan! We're anxiously awaiting the results! :goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom