Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

There ya' go! Root pruning works like a charm! :high-five: (although, I wouldn't recommend for a stressed plant, either!)

Gray, was that done per Doc's instructions? I was trying to gauge how root pruning is perceived related to High Brix. Obviously I wouldn't suggest pruning roots as part of a normal routine, but in a re-veg situation, it seems quite appropriate.

I just did it and posted pics, but I think Doc was interested - he chimed in if I remember correctly. It's not a new technique for horticulturist types. :)

Actually, after I posted the link to the pics yesterday, I realized that I had culled another plant and stuck the SLH rootball into that pot. I was taking Brix measurements at that time but I don't think I checked on that one. A root pruning shouldn't affect Brix, other than the time it takes to recover from the stress - maybe a week or so. I made the mistake of putting the plant under regular strength light and it slumped badly, but as soon as I moved it away it recovered and burst into growth, like you get with a fresh upcan. :slide:

Never done it, but it makes sense.
Well...the kid will likely kill it on his own anyway. I have a better chance at doing it with success. It will be an interesting experiment. I can keep it with mine and watch it. Mine are still little.

I dug up some old pics. I don't remember why it was so crispy to begin with and you can see the damage from the slump at the 5 day pic, but by 10 days later, we was arockin and arollin again. :slide:

At transplant
full

5 days later
full

10 days later - you can see the new growth spurt in the tops
full

Three weeks later ...
full

At flip

full

Annnnnd, she turned out well!

full
full

Hi all! I need some opinions please. Anyone here ever deviate from the standard 18/6 veg lighting for their sativas? Does 13/11 or 14/10 veg cycle create tighter buds and better sativa qualities?

Don't think any of the veg timing will impact density of the buds. Now I can't say how changing times in flower will effect it.....so u could play with it a bit and try.
OK. Doc mentioned 11/13 works well for flowering sativas

I always flower everything on 11/13
Thanks Doc. Is there any advantage that you have seen to vegging different than the standard 16/8?

Thanks Doc. Is there any advantage that you have seen to vegging different than the standard 16/8?
I wont answer for Doc, but I was told that 11/13 helps keep stretch down bit on sativa and 16/8 does allow sativa and some indica hybrids to push pistils while still in veg. They wont form any buds of course, but my panama clone has plenty of pistils.

From what I have read and been told, anything besides 16/8 and 11/13 is a waste of money... but surely they have their place too.

I wont answer for Doc, but I was told that 11/13 helps keep stretch down bit on sativa and 16/8 does allow sativa and some indica hybrids to push pistils while still in veg. They wont form any buds of course, but my panama clone has plenty of pistils.

From what I have read and been told, anything besides 16/8 and 11/13 is a waste of money... but surely they have their place too.
Thanks Dajerm!

Hey Lady - pretty sure when folks say 11/13 brings out sativa traits they’re only talking about flowering cycles. As we know Duggs swears by 16/8 for veg. I also saw someone mention recently (neiko?) that they were going try, or did use, 10.5/13.5

But are you asking if running 11/13 from earlier will make much difference? So you’re asking about the impact of using it during veg, yes?

doc, you don’t run 11/13 from seed do you? Have you ever tried it?

Question for the vets. When top dressing with ewc and recharge in third week of flower, what amount of ewc are we using for 10 gal? Does it matter, generously? Found one post that 1/4 bag of recharge is right amount for 10 gal.
In my 10 gals I do a solo cup of EWC and 1/4 cup of recharge

Hey Lady - pretty sure when folks say 11/13 brings out sativa traits they’re only talking about flowering cycles. As we know Duggs swears by 16/8 for veg. I also saw someone mention recently (neiko?) that they were going try, or did use, 10.5/13.5

But are you asking if running 11/13 from earlier will make much difference? So you’re asking about the impact of using it during veg, yes?

doc, you don’t run 11/13 from seed do you? Have you ever tried it?
I've seen breeders run 11/13 from seed on landrace sativas like old-timers haze to keep them manageable

I've seen breeders run 11/13 from seed on landrace sativas like old-timers haze to keep them manageable
I’ve been running 11/13 for about a year not sure how much of a difference it makes but does help the electric bill a tad lol

Back
Top Bottom