GC's First Indoor Cabinet Grow

subbed

I'll do another update with pics tonight at lights-out. The big girl is just blasting out leaves and new growth, where Little Sister is still content just "being". lol, I intend to run them both all the way out, but if it were a race, well, one would be a big underdog.

Thanks for hopping onto this carriage ride everyone. As promised, here are a few pics of the babies tonight. Tomorrow is 2 weeks for them and they seem to still be doing o.k. with one still simply outgrowing the other. I took these under normal light. I checked res and it is still >1/2 full.

Under_LED_10_7_13.jpg

Big_Sis_top_10_7_13.jpg

Big_Sis_side_10_7_13.jpg

Big_Sis_side2_10_7_13.jpg

Little_Sis_top_10_7_13.jpg

Little_Sis_side_10_7_13.jpg

These are all cell phone pics since I can't find the charger for my Canon...ffs

LOL, at this point, I'm sitting here thinking "If I want to do a scrog, I need to look into that right now", but I told myself a little branch-bending and nothing more for this grow. So I'll let the runt continue to run for now and just let them do their thing.

I was using the same 80/20 mix and it just never dried out. I never watered it to the point of it spilling out of the drain hole and it was still constantly wet. I put a new hole about an inch from the bottom and that didn't work either. 2 weeks after harvest the damn stuff was still wet. I considered doing a bottom layer of hydroton to thin out the moisture but ended up just going back to soil instead. This may be further exacerbated by the low run temps of your LEDs.

My experience with hempy was that it worked better in smaller taller pots with a smaller base for a reservoir. All my little clones in soda cups were great and then nothing but trouble in the 3 gallons buckets. On the larger ones I really had to take it easy on the water where as with the small ones I would water until they drain. There may as well have been no drain hole because getting it to that point would have for sure flooded them.

Also the plants seem looser in the perlite than in soil so it pays to stake or cage early because when the plant gets big it tend to feel wobbly. Mine did anyway.

I was using the same 80/20 mix and it just never dried out. I never watered it to the point of it spilling out of the drain hole and it was still constantly wet. I put a new hole about an inch from the bottom and that didn't work either. 2 weeks after harvest the damn stuff was still wet. I considered doing a bottom layer of hydroton to thin out the moisture but ended up just going back to soil instead. This may be further exacerbated by the low run temps of your LEDs.

My experience with hempy was that it worked better in smaller taller pots with a smaller base for a reservoir. All my little clones in soda cups were great and then nothing but trouble in the 3 gallons buckets. On the larger ones I really had to take it easy on the water where as with the small ones I would water until they drain. There may as well have been no drain hole because getting it to that point would have for sure flooded them.

Also the plants seem looser in the perlite than in soil so it pays to stake or cage early because when the plant gets big it tend to feel wobbly. Mine did anyway.

Hmmm...that's interesting. I know the "original" hempy formula was 3:1 perlite/vermiculite which would be 75/25. I mixed mine 80/20 or 4:1 and used straight perlite in the bottom 3" of each bucket, so it could even be 5:1. The tops of the buckets seemed pretty dry last Friday when I fed and though the reservoir wasn't completely dry, they were barely 1/4 full best I could tell when lifted/tilted. I dunno, but it seems the environment they're in they really like. I did have temps go up slightly and they are sitting between 79-82 now as the wife was somewhat insistent I raise the A/C temps because the back of the house was just too cold. Thermostat is now set on 76f and it's effected the cabinet temps by about 2 degrees.

I'm considering doing something like Jon and putting a tomato cage in there for the larger one now so I don't have as much issue later during the stretch, but undecided right now. Not to mention, that seems pretty optimistic when looking at these little plants right now. I had concerns regarding stability, but seriously, these guys seem rock-solid right now. Fingers-crossed I don't have the perpetual-wetness OR stability problems you mentioned. If I do, I'll certainly let everyone know.

Thanks for the input.

Thanks DrTentgrow. Right now, it seems the front-side work has been done. Now, it's just keeping an eye on them and letting them do their thing. I expect I may top water them one more time this week at some point, but haven't had to do much else.

I grabbed a couple quickies tonight after charging my own camera's battery (props for the motivation BID!).

The thing that really stands out to me is the undergrowth on the bigger plant. The growth looks like it's just boiling out of the nodes.

Big_Sis_topgrowth_10_8_13.JPG

Big_Sis_side_10_7_13.jpg

Back
Top Bottom