GDB's Thanksgiving Harvest

Hello grow gang!

Just out of curiosity I scoped one of my Grandaddy Blacks (flip 61) tonight.

According to @Original Sensible Seeds it has a short flowering period of 60-65 days, so I thought why not take a look.
Scope_001.jpg

Scope_002.jpg

Scope_003.jpg

Scope_004.jpg

She (and I assume the other one) are getting close.

These are ideal for my first stab at droughting. The two still have plenty of green leaves that will allow me to monitor the progress.

Where I'm getting hung up is trying to determine when to begin.

Do these look like they're close enough to the finish to begin droughting them? @Krissi Carbone @StoneOtter @ImGoodAtDroughting

I made up that last name, but I'll accept opinions from any who have experience with the process. :)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

PEACE.
Go for it buddy!

Okay youse two, I'm going to stop watering them!

Thanks much for the input! :thanks:
The 2 yuts.

Funny I think we were typing at the same time, so very eager for you to tell us sans h2o

Hello growers.

I've been waiting for this to happen and, frankly, I'm surprised it took so long to occur.

By mistake, I recently posted an update to this thread to my other thread. So I am linking to that update HERE. But after the first section of that post, the remaining discussion belongs to the "other" thread. (I hope that makes sense.)

In all likelihood, I have confused myself more than anyone else! :laughtwo:

Hello grow gang!

Just out of curiosity I scoped one of my Grandaddy Blacks (flip 61) tonight.

According to @Original Sensible Seeds it has a short flowering period of 60-65 days, so I thought why not take a look.
Scope_001.jpg

Scope_002.jpg

Scope_003.jpg

Scope_004.jpg

She (and I assume the other one) are getting close.

These are ideal for my first stab at droughting. The two still have plenty of green leaves that will allow me to monitor the progress.

Where I'm getting hung up is trying to determine when to begin.

Do these look like they're close enough to the finish to begin droughting them? @Krissi Carbone @StoneOtter @ImGoodAtDroughting

I made up that last name, but I'll accept opinions from any who have experience with the process. :)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

PEACE.
Yes! Dry them babies out for the high experience you've been waiting for!

Hello growers and Happy Sunday!

Your local small-town reporter is here with yesterday's news. (That is, stuff that I meant to post yesterday but forgot.)

I just wanted to post a pic of the Grandaddy Blacks on their Flip + 68. This was watering day for the tent and all the plants got watered except for them as this is their Drought Day #1.

I rearranged the back row so that now both GDBs are on the right. On the left is the Pineapple Express on her Flip + 63.
TG back 1-7-23 F63-68.jpg

I'd like to let the GDBs drought for at least 10 days. I hope I have the stomach for it! :Rasta:

----------

The Purple Dream and Purple Tahoe are both on Flip + 83. Both are reducing their water consumption but neither has shown much in the way of amber trichs.

PT:
PT 1-7-23 F83.jpg

PD:
PD 1-7-23 F83.jpg

It seems I'm headed toward a situation where I'll have to take down a number of plants over a very few days and that fills me with dread! All the more reason to take down the PT a little early.

Thanks for stopping by.

PEACE.

Dude these plants looks amazing!
I know I said this before but when my tents grows up… 😂
How do you have the patience to not chop everything right now 😂
I will need all the support I can get in my journal around this time.
This is awesome to see these results with such similarities in our grows like soil and seed breeder
So looking forward to your smoke report!
That purple dream looks like you’re going to be dreaming wide awake!

It's so nice to see the Purple Dream all growed up. She was one touched by the green finger of GDB as opposed to the FFOF.

Dude these plants looks amazing!
I know I said this before but when my tents grows up… 😂
How do you have the patience to not chop everything right now 😂
I will need all the support I can get in my journal around this time.
This is awesome to see these results with such similarities in our grows like soil and seed breeder
So looking forward to your smoke report!
That purple dream looks like you’re going to be dreaming wide awake!
Thanks so much Lootz!

I'm keeping hope alive! :Rasta:

:goodluck: with the drought! Keep an eye on the droop angle of a fan you can keep track of, but don't sweat it if you can't get to 10 days. Cloth pots make that more difficult than plastic.
No joke about the cloth pots. And the fact that they're only 3gal pots doesn't help matters.:straightface:

They're already droopy as hell and I have no doubt that I will be unable to get them to 10 days.

I'll post some pics after lights-on this morning.

Hello growers.

Let's look at the droughting Grandaddy Blacks on their Drought Day #3.

GDBS1 drought3 1-9-23 F70.jpg

GDBs drought3 1-9-23 F70.jpg

To be succinct, I don't like the looks of this. Unless I get some convincing reassurances from someone who thinks things look peachy I'm going to water these plants this evening.

I don't think 3gal fabric pots are all that conducive to droughting, at least not in my environment where the temp runs high (avg. around 78F). It seems to me that the 3gals cannot (have not) retain(ed) enough moisture just to get them through a few days without severe distress (if not the plant's distress then mine 👀 ).

What say you @StoneOtter @Krissi Carbone @InTheShed @ImGoodAtDroughting?

-----------

On a lighter note...

The Pineapple Express on flip 65 continues her winning ways. I discontinued her Roots Organics (RO) Bloom feed and gave her 2tsps of RO Bloom Booster today. (Again, for the Booster RO recommends a tsp per gallon of soil. She's in a 5gal pot but I'm not going there.)

PE 1-9-23 F65.jpg

-----------

And the buds on the Purple Tahoe and Purple Dream (both flip 85) continue to entice me!

PT:
PT bud 1-9-23 F85.JPG

PD:

PD bud 1-9-23 F85.JPG

------------

Here's the bunch back in the tent:

TG tent 1-9-23 F65-70-85.jpg

I've turned down the Mega light a few notches. That should bring the temp down at least a tad and plus I don't think they need the Full Monty anymore anyway.

Thanks for your time.

PEACE.

Hello growers.

Let's look at the droughting Grandaddy Blacks on their Drought Day #3.

GDBS1 drought3 1-9-23 F70.jpg

GDBs drought3 1-9-23 F70.jpg

To be succinct, I don't like the looks of this. Unless I get some convincing reassurances from someone who thinks things look peachy I'm going to water these plants this evening.

I don't think 3gal fabric pots are all that conducive to droughting, at least not in my environment where the temp runs high (avg. around 78F). It seems to me that the 3gals cannot (have not) retain(ed) enough moisture just to get them through a few days without severe distress (if not the plant's distress then mine 👀 ).

What say you @StoneOtter @Krissi Carbone @InTheShed @ImGoodAtDroughting?

-----------

On a lighter note...

The Pineapple Express on flip 65 continues her winning ways. I discontinued her Roots Organics (RO) Bloom feed and gave her 2tsps of RO Bloom Booster today. (Again, for the Booster RO recommends a tsp per gallon of soil. She's in a 5gal pot but I'm not going there.)

PE 1-9-23 F65.jpg

-----------

And the buds on the Purple Tahoe and Purple Dream (both flip 85) continue to entice me!

PT:
PT bud 1-9-23 F85.JPG

PD:

PD bud 1-9-23 F85.JPG

------------

Here's the bunch back in the tent:

TG tent 1-9-23 F65-70-85.jpg

I've turned down the Mega light a few notches. That should bring the temp down at least a tad and plus I don't think they need the Full Monty anymore anyway.

Thanks for your time.

PEACE.
Feed them, 3gl will def not last as long and fabric dries them out quicker, too. 3 questions...
1. Did you feed the day before you started the drought?
2. Is it like super hot in there?
3. I'm sorry I haven't been over but have you been looking at her trichomes from day 1 til now, like up close you know?

JW about #1 and 2 cause that is a very, very fast leaf extreme wilt.. that's what @LKABudMan 'S auto looked like after 11 days

My first droughting experience was in 5g cloth pots. The first plant I tried was done way too quickly, I could actually see her shrinking up. I gave in and watered her.

So for the other plants I started giving 'rescue drinks' after the 4-5th day or so. Every morning I would give them up to 1/2 - 1 liter of water spread across the top. It wasn't enough to feed the tap roots, but would get the top 2-4" of soil moist. I was able to control the wilt like this and draw the drought out to 11 days.

My last drought was in the SIP bucket, and I did the same thing. She did a lot better, so I used less than 2 liters for the whole 11 day drought. I used a sprayer on her, just spraying the surface every morning.

Everything I've read leads me to believe the drought needs to be longer than 5 days. I believe using the rescue drinks keeps the plant in drought stress but still allows the plant to live long enough to trigger secondary pathways to increase oils.

I agree that they do not look good. Turing down the light was a good first step. I would at least start giving them rescue drinks. I might even water fully before resuming a controlled drought, especially on the middle and back-right (the GDBs).

Good luck on the rest of the drought and harvest!

As I understand it, with droughting we are just trying to stimulate the plant to respond to stress conditions to produce more 'resinated' bud.

Everyone's conditions will be different, indoor/outdoor, big pot/small pot etc, so each should respond to what their plant is telling them (and what you are comfortable with).

My first droughting was purely unintentional by growing a plant in a small ceramic pot that got baked in the sun and wilted badly every day for most of summer, but the bud was the best, really awesome, truely outstanding bud.

Last year I did an intentional drought that I 'extended', to the point where I really hammered her between small 'rescue drinks'. I judge myself as having gone too far with it but I wanted to see how she would take it, and it's buds are still the ones that glue up my grinder the most and give me a great sleep when I have as a decarbed edible.

You may need to give the plant some support because clearly your gardening skills have caused lots of nice weighty colas to grow that are now leaning a bit under droughting stress (which is a good thing :laugh:). To me at this stage, I would give it some support, and a little rescue drink to perk her leaves up, and then do the same perhaps a couple more times. But looks great otherwise to me!

Back
Top Bottom