Graytail's 3rd: 4x4, HiBrix, Latest LED Tech, Lots Of Light!

Actually, topping is often better. If you wait until the plant is rather large, and lop off 8 inches, you'll end up with 4-5 pairs of good strong side stems to train into a canopy. I don't FIM but I've done a lot of LST/HST. I even did one of each - LST and topping - on a pair of clones, and they ended up with almost identical yield. Topping doesn't slow the plant like it seems it would. At that age it's pretty hard to hold back that explosive growth.

Now I tend to LST clones and almost always top seedlings. Clones have alternate nodes that make it harder to top well.

GT do you root the tops? I have had great success..you end up with a nice cola!..i have 3 tops I'm experimenting on at present..i think 2 might be Purple Haze (+)...muwahahahhahahahahahahahahah ok..DrZiggy is back..:blunt:

it will finish about a week, week 1/2 later...throw in same bloom room. :)

GT do you root the tops? I have had great success..you end up with a nice cola!..i have 3 tops I'm experimenting on at present..i think 2 might be Purple Haze (+)...muwahahahhahahahahahahahahah ok..DrZiggy is back..:blunt:

it will finish about a week, week 1/2 later...throw in same bloom room. :)

I've only had two tops root for me, the most recent was an OHS, and that took 5 weeks. In my current environment I doubt it'll work. I need to buy a small cloner.

Cheapest one I made for a friend had a $10 pos air pump, tubing, air stone, and it was put in a large yogurt container with holes drilled and some 3/4" pieces of 1/2" poly tube cut for the clones to sit in. Cost less than $15. Thoug that one was small only held 4 clones. But he only wanted to grow three at a time so no problem.
You can put tap water and cuttings and then ignore it for weeks until need them and they are full of roots.

Bring on the visuals, OG! :high-five:
Getting tops to root fast is something I'd like to see happen in a cheap way. Lol

You remember my post when I topped Carnival? :laughtwo: There was a ten minute pause between my first picture and the moment I actually made myself do it. It was physically painful to do that first cut. LOL! She leveled that beautiful canopy within three days. You're going to be a convert Rad. I'm proud of you for paying attention and having the courage to do it. :high-five:

I've topped before, but never this late. This was fan leaves the size of my hand.

The growing bits (cut stems at 12:30 and 6).

20151217_214021-1.jpg

The left-over bits. Sitting in a $30 8-position cloner. I have done direct soil rooting of two similar sized accidental tops that succeeded, so I decided to play with my relatively new "daisy" cloner.

20151217_214031-1.jpg

There is a cloner buried under there.

20151007_214415-1.jpg

Actually, topping is often better. If you wait until the plant is rather large, and lop off 8 inches, you'll end up with 4-5 pairs of good strong side stems to train into a canopy. I don't FIM but I've done a lot of LST/HST. I even did one of each - LST and topping - on a pair of clones, and they ended up with almost identical yield. Topping doesn't slow the plant like it seems it would. At that age it's pretty hard to hold back that explosive growth.

Now I tend to LST clones and almost always top seedlings. Clones have alternate nodes that make it harder to top well.
I never payed attention or noticed that Gray. At lights on tomorrow morning I'm going to check and see if all my grown clones have offsetting nodes. I just figured it was each plants pheno type so will also watch and see if the mothers still in bloom with parallel nodes that we've cloned from produces clones with offsetting nodes. Thanxx for bringing that up.

I never payed attention or noticed that Gray. At lights on tomorrow morning I'm going to check and see if all my grown clones have offsetting nodes. I just figured it was each plants pheno type so will also watch and see if the mothers still in bloom with parallel nodes that we've cloned from produces clones with offsetting nodes. Thanxx for bringing that up.

I've neve had a girl in bloom with parallel branching, they go alternate when they show pre-flowers.

Sometimes you can let it grow and it'll twin back up. I've had that work with clones. Since you're topping, you have a little more height to play with. (if that makes sense?)

I've neve had a girl in bloom with parallel branching, they go alternate when they show pre-flowers.

Sometimes you can let it grow and it'll twin back up. I've had that work with clones. Since you're topping, you have a little more height to play with. (if that makes sense?)

I've only had a few plants that kept their paired nodes into bloom. I meant in veg, when the plant is big enough to train, 8-12 inches tall. By then, mine usually have some wimpy lower branches and a bunch of good ones, with little new ones at the top. At that age, most of my seedling plants are still growing paired nodes. Clones have alternate nodes from day one. The seedlings will start to alternate nodes at, what, 40-50 days? Rarely, they'll keep paired nodes all the way - those have a really nice look to them - fat pompom nugs at every node. :love:

I clone every plant and root every top of a seeded plant with an air cloner.
Tops can take some time special from seed.
I just have rooted some Jillybean and it took over 2 weeks, as they grow very fast I have toped them again 2 weeks into soil
and this rooted in 5 days.
I seen this with many strains, cloning from clones is much easier.

That's weird, I was just thinking about my tangie that has paired nodes and is flowering right now and you guys are here talking about it! Small world haha.

I've never had it happen before but sure enough my tangie is paired on both main tops all the way up and just finished stretching and recieced its first cat drench. Can't wait to see how it comes out :)

The ghost train haze that I just grew from seed with a 1 month veg time kept duel nodes all the way through flower on every branch. It finished at about 3 feet tall from the top of the pot.

Back
Top Bottom