LKABudMan And The Vivosun Auto Oasis - Sponsored By VIVOSUN

The Vivosun Auto Oasis
Featuring the VIVOSUN Smart Grow System
Sponsored by VIVOSUN and Herbies US Express

Welcome back to the Vivosun Auto Oasis, a VIVOSUN 32x60x80 tent equipped with the Vivosun SGS.

Vivosun GrowHub 42A ** Currently set to -Vegetative- Mode
  • Vivosun AeroLight - The world’s first 100W LED grow light with an integrated circulatory fan
    • 04:00-24:00 Spectrum:Seedling, Intensity:50%, Sunrise/Sunset: YES (30 DLI)
  • Circulation Fan
    • 00:00-24:00 - Speed 1/10
  • AeroWave E6 oscillating grow tent fan - Oscillating using Circulation Fan settings above
  • AeroZesh - 4" Ultra powerful automated exhaust fully programmable through the GrowHub
    • 00:00-04:00 High 70% RH, Speed 5, default off
    • 04:00-24:00 High 82F / 75% RH, Speed 3, default off
Vivosun AeroLight A200SE with GrowHub E25 ** Currently set to -Vegetative- 50%
** All controlled on my smartphone through the VIVOSUN App (wi-fi)

Other Equipment:
Vivosun Air Circulator Fan with Remote - Oscillating horizontally and vertically on 'Natural Breeze' mode
Vivosun Humidifier set to 65% warm mist

Buddy (Blueberry Auto)
Date: 2/5/24 Day# 42
Medium: 5G SIP Bucket with FFHF & Dynomyco
Nutrients: 1/2c Geoflora veg (1/12/24 - Day# 18)​

It's the end of Buddy's 6th week and she has started flower. No, seriously, you need to look REALLY CLOSE but there are little tiny flowers on her.

Whatever happened to her, I think I missed any chance of saving her. I just don't think she ever got established in her new SIP and she doesn't have the root structure to do much in flower. Even assuming I could get her healthy at this point and get rid of all of the fungus gnats, it seems like a lot of effort for maybe an ounce of bud (if I'm lucky). Sorry Buddy, this is the end for you. Time to cleanup the Vivosun Auto Oasis and get ready for the next occupant(s).

#VIVOSUN #SmartGrowSystem #LoveWhatYouGrow

The Vivosun Auto Oasis

Welcome back to the Vivosun Auto Oasis, a VIVOSUN 32x60x80 tent equipped with the Vivosun SGS.

Vivosun GrowHub 42A ** -Seedling- Mode scheduled for 2/8/24
  • Vivosun AeroLight - The world’s first 100W LED grow light with an integrated circulatory fan
    • 04:00-24:00 Spectrum:Seedling, Intensity:25%, Sunrise/Sunset: YES (12DLI)
  • Circulation Fan
    • 00:00-24:00 - OFF
  • AeroWave E6 oscillating grow tent fan - Oscillating using Circulation Fan settings above
  • AeroZesh - 4" Ultra powerful automated exhaust fully programmable through the GrowHub
Vivosun AeroLight A200SE with GrowHub E25 ** Currently set to -OFF-

Other Equipment:
Vivosun Air Circulator Fan with Remote - Oscillating horizontally and vertically on 'Natural Breeze' mode

Buddy (Blueberry Auto) *** Final Entry **

Yesterday I got rid of Buddy. She never took hold in the SIP, as you can see by this tracker. Her reservoir was still 1/2 full when I dumped her yesterday after 25 days!
Blueberry Auto Tracker.png
I took her out to the back garden and dumped her amongst the bones of some old giants. She didn't have many roots at all. I could see the Dynomyco on the original plug. Even her initial root ball, that looked pretty good when uppotting to the SIP, just fell apart. The soil was uniformly wet all the way to the sand layer, and contained almost no roots. There were some small feeder roots going down to the bottom, but not nearly enough to power the plant in flower. Spreading all of the soil out, I didn't see anything moving so I don't think that bugs were the problem. At least, she wasn't teeming with them.

So, what happened? I have two possibilities. The first is that she didn't get watered well when I uppotted. I added the sand/fabric/rocks on top before watering her thoroughly, which I usually do before. I'll remember to water before adding anything on top in the future, but I really don't think this was the problem.

My best guess is what @RedskinnedRhino bought up a couple of weeks ago.
No worries that the sand layer may choke off the oxygen to the plant?
With the soil uniformly wet all the way to the top and the sand layer keeping any oxygen out, the original root ball had no way to breathe. All of those original roots were suffocated as she desperately tried to reach the air gap below. I think the sand layer did her in. It was too thick, about 1/2" or more. It both compressed the soil and kept it too wet. Worse of all, it didn't stop the fungus gnats on top.

Well, live and learn. I have the Vivosun Auto Oasis all cleaned up and ready for the next occupant. Yesterday afternoon I popped a @Herbies Seeds Bruce Banner Auto seed in a soaked starter plug, put it in a Vivosun tray with a dome, and set it up on the Vivosun heat mat set to 77F. I set the SGS to come on at 25% in two days (2/8) on a 20/4 schedule. Finally, I put the Wyze camera on her and set the timelapse. I'm expecting a sprout by day# 3 (Friday), or day# 4 at the latest. Then I'll be trying something new with her...

Nice analysis and good lessons learned (and shared :thanks: )!
Thanks Shed. For me it also helps explain why some transitions to SIP are more difficult. Until the roots get firmly established in the SIP air gap they need air from the soil/top. When I see this happen I'll drain the res and let the soil dry out a little as the roots get established.
The Autoasis looks shiny and new again, and I can't wait until Brayden makes an appearance. ;)
Thanks... Brayden??

Thanks for sharing the lesson with us. 🍋
Thanks Keith. Anyone can post the good stuff and pretty bud pictures, but it's the failures that usually help others the most ;)

Actually, I was thinking Lizzy (Bruce Banner's romantic interest is Elizabeth "Betty" Ross, but I've already used Betty). I try to keep the names short and easy to spell, too, since I usually need to type them a few hundred times ;)

Actually, I was thinking Lizzy (Bruce Banner's romantic interest is Elizabeth "Betty" Ross, but I've already used Betty). I try to keep the names short and easy to spell, too, since I usually need to type them a few hundred times ;)
How about 1067? Got a nice ring to it. 😜

Worse of all, it didn't stop the fungus gnats on top.
LKA I know you are a highly decorated weed grower and you have said you've tried BT, but have you tried it with DE on the surface and yellow stickies? A three pronged approach? Actually, on a SIP how do you administer BT to the soil if not by watering it in?
Straight away my mind went to Nursie of Black Adder fame! She was called Bernard by Queenie.

LKA if you're looking for an quick one to spell you could always call her Bob!

The Vivosun Auto Oasis

Vivosun GrowHub 42A ** -Seedling- Mode scheduled for 2/8/24
    • 04:00-24:00 Spectrum:Seedling, Intensity:25%, Sunrise/Sunset: YES (12DLI)
  • Circulation Fan
    • 00:00-24:00 - OFF
Vivosun AeroLight A200SE with GrowHub E25 ** Currently set to -OFF-

Other Equipment:

Buddy (Blueberry Auto) *** Final Entry **

Yesterday I got rid of Buddy. She never took hold in the SIP, as you can see by this tracker. Her reservoir was still 1/2 full when I dumped her yesterday after 25 days!
Blueberry Auto Tracker.png
I took her out to the back garden and dumped her amongst the bones of some old giants. She didn't have many roots at all. I could see the Dynomyco on the original plug. Even her initial root ball, that looked pretty good when uppotting to the SIP, just fell apart. The soil was uniformly wet all the way to the sand layer, and contained almost no roots. There were some small feeder roots going down to the bottom, but not nearly enough to power the plant in flower. Spreading all of the soil out, I didn't see anything moving so I don't think that bugs were the problem. At least, she wasn't teeming with them.

So, what happened? I have two possibilities. The first is that she didn't get watered well when I uppotted. I added the sand/fabric/rocks on top before watering her thoroughly, which I usually do before. I'll remember to water before adding anything on top in the future, but I really don't think this was the problem.

My best guess is what @RedskinnedRhino bought up a couple of weeks ago.

With the soil uniformly wet all the way to the top and the sand layer keeping any oxygen out, the original root ball had no way to breathe. All of those original roots were suffocated as she desperately tried to reach the air gap below. I think the sand layer did her in. It was too thick, about 1/2" or more. It both compressed the soil and kept it too wet. Worse of all, it didn't stop the fungus gnats on top.

Well, live and learn. I have the Vivosun Auto Oasis all cleaned up and ready for the next occupant. Yesterday afternoon I popped a @Herbies Seeds Bruce Banner Auto seed in a soaked starter plug, put it in a Vivosun tray with a dome, and set it up on the Vivosun heat mat set to 77F. I set the SGS to come on at 25% in two days (2/8) on a 20/4 schedule. Finally, I put the Wyze camera on her and set the timelapse. I'm expecting a sprout by day# 3 (Friday), or day# 4 at the latest. Then I'll be trying something new with her...

You're telling me that those little bastard F-gnats can dig their way in and out of a half inch layer of sand???
:cough: I'm both sickened and impressed by their resilience...I hate them.

LKA I know you are a highly decorated weed grower and you have said you've tried BT, but have you tried it with DE on the surface and yellow stickies? A three pronged approach? Actually, on a SIP how do you administer BT to the soil if not by watering it in?

Straight away my mind went to Nursie of Black Adder fame! She was called Bernard by Queenie.

LKA if you're looking for an quick one to spell you could always call her Bob!
I use BTI in all water/nutes they get, I have yellow sticky traps, and I dust the surface with DE. It all keeps them down, but not out. I'm hoping to break the cycle with the tent cleaned out, but we'll see.

You're telling me that those little bastard F-gnats can dig their way in and out of a half inch layer of sand???
:cough: I'm both sickened and impressed by their resilience...I hate them.
It doesn't look like they got through the sand, the soil was relatively clean of bugs. They were living on top of the sand, though, in the rocks. It doesn't seem like you can get rid of them as long as you have moist soil around.

The Vivosun Auto Oasis *ANNEX*

Welcome back to the Vivosun Auto Oasis *ANNEX*, a VIVOSUN 48x48x80 tent equipped with the Vivosun Smart Grow System (SGS).

VIVOSUN GrowHub 42A ** Currently set to -FLOWER- Mode
  • VSF6450
    • 20:00-04:00 OFF
    • 04:00-20:00 Spectrum:Flowering, Intensity:40%, Sunrise/Sunset: YES (30-32 DLI)
  • AeroWave E6 oscillating grow tent fan - Oscillating
    • 22:00-24:00 - Speed 5/10
    • 04:00-22:00 - Natural wind
  • AeroZesh T4 - 4" Ultra powerful automated exhaust fully programmable through the GrowHub
    • 20:00-04:00 High 52% RH, Speed 10, default off
    • 04:00-20:00 High 82F / 62% RH, Speed 10, default off
Other Equipment:
- 8" floor fan
- Oscillating tower fan

Gaby (Herbies Seeds Gorilla Glue #4 Auto)
Date: 2/7/24 Day# 100 (Flower day# 74)
Nutrients: Water only​

Gaby is still going on day# 100. She's lost most of her leaves, and now that she's on water-only the remaining leaves are yellowing fast. She's foxtailing in places, but I don't see any nanners or other issues. At this point even the foxtails seems to be finishing up. I moved her to a 16/8 schedule last week to reduce the DLI a little more, down to the low 30s.

Based on my signs for harvest, she's just about ready. She's drinking less and smelling more. The calyx are starting to swell and she's putting on weight. The trichomes are showing her advancement as well, with a lot more cloudy and a few amber, although still quite a few clear.

I'd say she's just about in the harvest window now. I'm not ready to chop her just yet, though, it'll be a few more days. I'm getting the drying closet ready, though ;)

It's the Energizer Bunny of plants!
Right... until I get tired of looking at her :) By the time she's ready to harvest I'll just shake the dead leaves off and hang her upside down ;)

Back
Top Bottom