Maine 4-Season Greenhouse Grow

Are you building from scratch? I always wanted to do a post and beam type of construction. Fun watching the progress, but more fun involved in it! Sounds like quite a complex up there! Good on you! Definitely going to be a busy summer. Feels like spring is here today. I wonder how wrong that is? lol Cheers

I asked a local guy if he'd be interested in doing one for me since I saw he did his own sugar shack. He is a pleasure to work with and I am basically his grunt labor :). We got it weather wrapped mid-Dec and have been working on the seating and sleeping modules in the barn..plan is to plug them in and sheath her in May. She'll be intentionally off-grid...we're marketing to people who spend their lives in a cubicle staring at screenso_O. She'll have a vermicomposting outhouse and a separate outdoor kitchen/shower. The foundation is for us...another root cellar.

Yeah, most awesome! Your contractor is doing a spectacular job! It's got to be fun watching what he does, learning all that stuff. I'm envious! Good for you, man! I used to live up in Anson for over a year, a mile off the tar road. Loved it! Cheers

How strange is the universe? I was just thinking about sending you a PM this morning because I was wondering where you'd been....good to hear from you. Hoping to follow your 2019 summer grow as well. Besides the usual we are adding a 14x18' timber frame cabin (for rent) and we are trying to have it done by June...gotta have a goal!

Haha that’s what those Amish are for!
Looks great I’m assuming pine?

Crazy busy here pal, just stopped in to wipe the dust off.

Preparing for first round of meat birds, just hatched 63 chicks today egg layers from our incubator, beef calves coming tomorrow. Piglets next week..........Never ends!
I couldn’t keep up to the communities demand for my pastured livestock products....Sooooo I decided to make a seasonal business out of it on the farm, and after a few farmers markets things took off. Sold out of everything and have steady customer base of egg buyers yr round.
Surprising how many city folk want to see where their meat or poultry come from, and acquire the taste of beef and poultry the way it used to taste before they started injecting steroids and cross breading for production.

Will try to stop back in to catch up, I’d like to follow the progress on that cabin looks really good.

Haha that’s what those Amish are for!
Looks great I’m assuming pine?

Crazy busy here pal, just stopped in to wipe the dust off.

Preparing for first round of meat birds, just hatched 63 chicks today egg layers from our incubator, beef calves coming tomorrow. Piglets next week..........Never ends!
I couldn’t keep up to the communities demand for my pastured livestock products....Sooooo I decided to make a seasonal business out of it on the farm, and after a few farmers markets things took off. Sold out of everything and have steady customer base of egg buyers yr round.
Surprising how many city folk want to see where their meat or poultry come from, and acquire the taste of beef and poultry the way it used to taste before they started injecting steroids and cross breading for production. Will try to stop back in to catch up, I’d like to follow the progress on that cabin looks really good.
You sound busy,....my lazy ass layers stopped laying in Nov....they better get back on it in April or they might meet the stump! We used to eat chicken 2x a week before we homesteaded....it was cheap and easy...but then you realize why they are cheap...nasty...we raise our own meat birds now and eat one a month or so...more of a treat and the kids love it...who wouldn't? Best of luck with the new biz.

And yes...it's locally milled pine from a guy I know.

Hey @Tattoodlineman ! I’m so glad to see that you were able to at least get some to harvest. I remember you posting here after your crop was devastated. Hurt my heart!

Hey @Tattoodlineman ! I’m so glad to see that you were able to at least get some to harvest. I remember you posting here after your crop was devastated. Hurt my heart!
Hey friend yes I was not the most pleasant person to be around that day! Needless to say my only survivors got treated like gold so there was some to harvest.

Wait..... Blew where’s all the white crap in those pics? You’re bare ground in February in Maine?

Hi Blew can I ask please

How are the posts attached to the floor? Wondering about wind lift.
Is there some sort of blocking underneath the posts down to the concrete?
What are the white pvc elbows doing?
How thick is the roof sheathing - 1x or 2x?

How are the posts attached to the floor? Wondering about wind lift.
Is there some sort of blocking underneath the posts down to the concrete?
What are the white pvc elbows doing?
How thick is the roof sheathing - 1x or 2x?
It's all strapped into the concrete foundation. The 6" pvc pipes are ventilation for the root cellar, which is the basement. Roof is 1x8" hemlock sheathing.

After a week of drying in the root cellar, I brought up the Kush and NLxBB for a final trim before they went into jars for final cure. Root cellar is 55F/25%RH..pretty darn perfect for a slow dry. The Kush yielded more but I am always impressed with the NLxBB...big, hard nugs that smell phenomenal.

Blew - congrats on your harvest. Mid winter harvests! woohoo

Nice little cabin you have going there. Love that post and beam goodness. Your local guy does nice work. He using dowels too??

What type of composting toilet you gonna use?? I need one for our cottage. It's time. Tired of our outhouse. Well not really but it is the 21st century. lol

I don't use any leaves for my VC...I used to, but they never really got broken down, so now I mix leaf compost and VC when they are done in their respective timelines...the leaves usually for 2+ years with some manure thrown in...the VC is usually just food and some media (coco/old soil/etc) and the worms do the rest.

I had stopped adding in leaves for years like you the VC is ready and the leaves were still there and I had to let the VC with leaves go another year at least.

Then I saw the ginkgo and the leaves break down really fast. I watched them at my neighbors place that has several male ginkgo trees and saw the black soil and leaf mold form in a few weeks. Got me thinking so I grabbed a bag they had out for trash day and have been layering it in with the VC inputs. I think its working. My VC is outside and the pile has been getting smaller/shrinking even in the winter which it never does.

We will see here shortly - spring right around the corner. lol. March coming in like a lion this year. That's gonna change.

This article got me thinking about ginkgo leaves.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01448765.2017.1339639?journalCode=tbah20

Surprising how many city folk want to see where their meat or poultry come from, and acquire the taste of beef and poultry the way it used to taste before they started injecting steroids and cross breading for production.

We are city folk. Get the local (not city) farmers to bring the grass fed beef and pasture raised chicken/eggs into town delivered walking distance to our home.
We get it all delivered 1x a month. It's all organic grass fed.
This is the only thing we are going to miss when we move way up north.

Eggs dont taste as good in the winter time tho... I guess they are eating in instead of out in the grass. lol

I eat a lot of eggs. I cant really eat the store bought anymore. Gives me the quickstep for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom