Maine 4-Season Greenhouse Grow

Mr Blew,
I hope you don't mind me reading along and asking a question.
Both of us live in very frozen chilly country. Are you able to grow using your GH in the winter? If so, how and cost vs return. I'm considering building a small GH 24'x16'.Thanks for your response in advance.

Well, there is not enough sunlight for 3 months so even if the temps were suitable in the GH I would need to supplement light, and if you are doing that you might as well take it indoors where the temps are already suitable. Most anyone with a GH will tell you it is for the shoulder seasons...(May/June and Sept/Oct)...turns a 8-10 week growing season into a 20+ week season. Cost and return are relative...everyone will get a different return and it will cost whatever you want to spend. I think 6mm poly hoop/high tunnels are excellent value...you can get a 24/32x12 for about $2-2.5k and they are robust in winters.

My advice to anyone interested is do it....no ones's headstone ever says "I wish I did less in life"....treat yourself and enjoy it for 20+ weeks every year.

:goodluck:

I've heard the same from farmers around here, that there isn't enough sun to grow winter time. But extending the season a few weeks is great. My wife cant understand why I spend so much time my my GH. I've been eyeballing those high tunnels blew.... see how my farmers market trials go this year, see if I can get myself a little farm on da go

I've heard the same from farmers around here, that there isn't enough sun to grow winter time. But extending the season a few weeks is great. My wife cant understand why I spend so much time my my GH. I've been eyeballing those high tunnels blew.... see how my farmers market trials go this year, see if I can get myself a little farm on da go
High tunnels are also great for storage...the poly screens out the bad UV so stuff doesn't get (as) fried. I keep my tractor in there for 4 months.

How many worms would you recommend to start a fresh batch in 35 gal totes? I’ve got 2k enroute. Thanks
For 1x tote that is plenty...they double every 6 weeks, so feed them and you'll have 4,000...8,000...16,000 :)

Watching this huge, wet weather system on the radar....as it gently glides right past us....:(
We had some great gentle garden rain.....about 2 hours worth. Also collected about 50 gallons of rain wain water for the girls for the next couple weeks. Hope u get some of it brother!!

Well, there is not enough sunlight for 3 months so even if the temps were suitable in the GH I would need to supplement light, and if you are doing that you might as well take it indoors where the temps are already suitable. Most anyone with a GH will tell you it is for the shoulder seasons...(May/June and Sept/Oct)...turns a 8-10 week growing season into a 20+ week season. Cost and return are relative...everyone will get a different return and it will cost whatever you want to spend. I think 6mm poly hoop/high tunnels are excellent value...you can get a 24/32x12 for about $2-2.5k and they are robust in winters.

My advice to anyone interested is do it....no ones's headstone ever says "I wish I did less in life"....treat yourself and enjoy it for 20+ weeks every year.

:goodluck:

Hey man thanks for your response. I thought I going to step into that pond next spring. Looking at your setup make it look like alot of fun. Thanks again Mr Blew.

We had some great gentle garden rain.....about 2 hours worth. Also collected about 50 gallons of rain wain water for the girls for the next couple weeks. Hope u get some of it brother!!
Yes, I saw the radar right over you...glad someone got it. :)

OOPS...just saw my root cellar was 75%...too high for those drying buds, and spotted a little mold on some buds... also know now why @SweetSue cuts her buds into smaller pieces for drying...

Now they are hanging in the "dry" cellar....

"we learn nothing from success...we learn lots from our failures"

:)

OOPS...just saw my root cellar was 75%...too high for those drying buds, and spotted a little mold on some buds... also know now why @SweetSue cuts her buds into smaller pieces for drying...

Now they are hanging in the "dry" cellar....

"we learn nothing from success...we learn lots from our failures"

:)

Blew, you wouldn't have a photo of that would you? I don't know what a bud that's starting to mold looks like.

Blew, you wouldn't have a photo of that would you? I don't know what a bud that's starting to mold looks like.
Search it here..."bud mold"...I just did...better to see lots of examples than just mine...it's not a loss as we use much of ours for salves...also just got my newly won MB machine so maybe put that to use.

I love/hate these moments because I kick myself but also learn a good lesson...I actually have a dehumidifier sitting idle at my farm from a previous project. I can easily incorporate that into the plan if I need to, but generally in Fall humidity here drops to acceptable levels for drying in my root cellar. I just checked the hygrometer in their new spot and it is 66%...which is much better.

Back
Top Bottom