Radogast's Hi-Brix Basement Grow - New Location - New Soil - New Experiences

Watering Day

I should have watered a couple of days ago, but I kept saying I would get to it around dinner time, so after breakfast today, I watered. Yesterday, I topped them at the 4th or 5th node to encourage lower branches to grow. The lowest set of leaves were turning brown, so I pinched off the lower leaves on the Amherst Sour Diesel and the AK47 XTRM.

The 3 seedlings pictured are in 1 gal pots, 45 days after the seeds were planted. I gave them their first feeding of Doc Bud's Growth Energy(2ml each) and Tea (0.2ml each.)

The veg table

20161122_114323.jpg

Amherst Sour Diesel

20161122_103737-1.jpg

20161122_103751-1.jpg

AK47 XTRM

20161122_105054-1.jpg

20161122_105245-1.jpg

Buddha's Gift

20161122_110556-1.jpg

20161122_110606-1.jpg

Looking good in here Rad! Exciting stuff with the new grow stalls you have planned. Looking forward to seeing them come together.

Due to shuffling around in a limited space - the exercise room comes before the grow stalls. I spent yesterday going through all the boxes in the exercise room. I spent this morning moving a ton of weights and exercise equipment out of the room. This afternoon I geared up with mask and long sleeves and swept about 2 gallons of brick and mortar dust off the walls and the tops of the foundation. (with a short break to remove a sleeping bat - and long breaks to watch mindless TV with the wife.) Tomorrow I can start on stapling up the ceiling and wiring the electricals. If I can get a paint sprayer working, I should be able to start setting up the exercise room this weekend.

After that, the grow deck and stalls !

Is that Buddha's Gift suppose to be that droopy or just after watering? They all look soooo NICE!

I don't know if Buddha's Gift is supposed to be this droopy.

I did my leaf spreading, which involves pushing down the leaves to make space for the next set and branches while maintaining tight nodes. Every other plant I have done leaf spreading on bounced back. The Buddha's Gift stayed drooped. She wasn't droopy until I started leaf spreading.

I think the droop gives her a meditating buddha / weeping willow sense of quiet patience - but I might just be rationalizing :rofl: :rofl:

Rad, cannabis works much better for blood pressure control than many of the prescribed meds, and comes with none of the side effects. Let me do some research and see what I can learn about dosages, but I'm fairly certain it can be controlled with micro dosing, which would suit you perfectly, wouldn't it?

We used to experiment with the blood pressure readings and smoking. Dale's invariably came down right after smoking. There is a caution about smoking and exercising, and it has to do with higher blood pressure concerns thought to be caused by the constriction caused by smoking, but I don't know if there's any real data to back that up. I know when I get righteously blazed and then slip into my Callanetics routine it's more beneficial all 'round vs the sessions when I'm straight - though thinking about it, the last time I was straight was when I was in Phoenix in early Feb. :laughtwo:

Looking forward to seeing what you find with the dosing, SweetSue! This is a very big deal to me, and I'm willing to experiment with my own BP to help get answers for all of us. :thumb:

Looking forward to seeing what you find with the dosing, SweetSue! This is a very big deal to me, and I'm willing to experiment with my own BP to help get answers for all of us. :thumb:

You can also lower blood pressure by Chia seeds, Nuts, Cocoa, Buckwheat, Lentils, Wolfberry and many, many more. Avoid coffee, alcohol, salty and fat foods.

You can also lower blood pressure by Chia seeds, Nuts, Cocoa, Buckwheat, Lentils, Wolfberry and many, many more. Avoid coffee, alcohol, salty and fat foods.

My major snack is nuts and seeds.
I don't drink coffee or eat salty and fatty foods.

Today's meal might be an exception - though mostly a higher sugar day ( pies ! )

Happy Thanksgiving Day for those who celebrate with family and/or friends.

I have had blood pressure in the 145-160 / 70-90 all my life, as in since I first checked it about age 10.
It's only the past few decades where doctors seem to care.

The only thing that has changed in the last 5 years is I now have a couple of drinks most nights :)

Temporarily relocated the vegging table today

The family went to a matinee movie today (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - - IMAX - We all loved it.)

I didn't want to get seriously into construction this morning, so I wired up a power outlet in the future exercise room, propped OSB sheets in front of the basement windows, and moved in my veg table and T5 light. Also a watering day for the non-420 herbs.

Temporary veg table location - Exercise room with half-finished OSB waferboard ceiling and unpainted stone wall.
(I moved those electrical cords out of the spilled water after I took the picture.)

20161125_131754-1.jpg

Temps 68-72, humidity 40-49 for today, old paint on brick walls.
They should be fine here while I build and paint stalls in the grow room.

20161125_131810-1.jpg

I noticed 3 ladybugs moved with the plants. There may be a couple more that got lost in transit.

20161125_131823.jpg

Ummm....
I don't drink coffee

I'll let it slide... but I might have difficulty understanding the concept as I brew up a 1/2 second pot for the day.

I'm not sure that untreated OSB is a good choice for window installation. Seems like a sweaty environment and OSB is a poor choice for a moist environment. You could coat it with a mildew resistant primer coat, but I think I'd still go with a different choice there. Maybe a chuck of that insulation board stuff... you know... the black on the outside with the fiberglass core.... I'm sure it has a fancy name.

Radogast said:
The study on capsules might just be because that is what drug companies wanted to study. Are we talking capsules of leaves or flowers here?

I might take up smoking again after we get a harvest. That has been part of my retirement plan since the 70s :)

Good to hear about retirement. I thought that was the case. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I'm gullible enough that the possibility of the pharma companies being involved hadn't crossed my mind. I believe we were talking capsules made with CCO.

If I were the lovely wife and thinking of the optimal location for a meditative session like yoga I don't think a room of the basement next to a weight machine would be my first choice. This is my Callanetics space.

IMG_196029.JPG

Open and airy, and multi-functional too. I sit cross-legged here with my devices and papers spread out around me when I research and write, and it's a good place to sit for conversation.

These are a couple of the clones I'm playing with this run. *giggle* I'm having so much fun learning to clone. In about two weeks or so I'll have a total of eight Carnivals in bloom. :laughtwo: Yeah..... I can hardly believe that myself. I see Carnival oil in my not-too-distant future. :yahoo:

IMG_196030.JPG

Later Rad. Keep up the good work on the fitness room. :high-five: The plants look lovely. That's a given. :battingeyelashes:

Ummm....

I'll let it slide... but I might have difficulty understanding the concept as I brew up a 1/2 second pot for the day.

I'm not sure that untreated OSB is a good choice for window installation. Seems like a sweaty environment and OSB is a poor choice for a moist environment. You could coat it with a mildew resistant primer coat, but I think I'd still go with a different choice there. Maybe a chuck of that insulation board stuff... you know... the black on the outside with the fiberglass core.... I'm sure it has a fancy name.

The plants should be only a week or so in this room. Not moist, I actually added standing water ths morning to bring the humidity up over 40. Now it's raining :)

I swept the walls and carried wood into the grow room - then I look around for my notebook with my building plans - then I said, DUDE it's a sunday, take a chill pill. So the wife and I turned on the TV and ordered up a deep dish pineapple pizza with at least an inch of mozzarella.

and Sue ...

I have no clear idea why she suggested yoga in the basement. Even with paint and ceiling panels, it's still gonna be a basement.
The most obvious place for yoga is the living room in front of the TV, but someone knocking on the front porch can stare through the door and windows into the living room. I think she was thinking of privacy from strangers. If I were her, I'd do yoga in her sitting room/jewelry nook in the bedroom suite.

We'll see how it comes together :)

Good to hear about retirement. I thought that was the case. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I'm gullible enough that the possibility of the pharma companies being involved hadn't crossed my mind. I believe we were talking capsules made with CCO.

If I were the lovely wife and thinking of the optimal location for a meditative session like yoga I don't think a room of the basement next to a weight machine would be my first choice. This is my Callanetics space.

IMG_196029.JPG

Open and airy, and multi-functional too. I sit cross-legged here with my devices and papers spread out around me when I research and write, and it's a good place to sit for conversation.

These are a couple of the clones I'm playing with this run. *giggle* I'm having so much fun learning to clone. In about two weeks or so I'll have a total of eight Carnivals in bloom. :laughtwo: Yeah..... I can hardly believe that myself. I see Carnival oil in my not-too-distant future. :yahoo:

IMG_196030.JPG

Later Rad. Keep up the good work on the fitness room. :high-five: The plants look lovely. That's a given. :battingeyelashes:

Clones are good! I'll be taking clones near the end of the year.

I like your mirrored space - obviously decorated by someone who sits on the floor a lot.

I spent about 6 years cross legged for 1-3 hours a day. I never really got enough stretch in my left knee to be fully comfortable. I'm back to chairs now.

Yeah, I guess that is pretty obvious. Lol! Hadn't even occurred to me. Haha! It caught me by surprise that I should eschew furniture. Sitting on the floor wasn't something I was ever prone to do. Now I have no use for chairs. My furniture is for company only.

Hey Radogast, Congratulations on the retirement and the new home! I am so happy for you. I love the old houses they are so intriguing. They always get me thinking of who lived there back in the day it was built and if some part of them is still around :) Well, I caught up on my reading, ready to follow along in "real time" looking forward to it :cheer:

Hey there Rad.. good to see you have some green in the indoor garden. Good job buddy. It's only going to get greener from here on out!

BP - keep away from the stuff that gets your BP up! hahaha... could be and likely stuff are stress and alcohol. I've been trying to avoid the stress part! Moderation ... I lern't that the "old fashioned" way. :oops:

With cannabis ... some strains help, some make it worse (short term). We are just starting to figure that part out tho... I bet this has already been figured out by our ancestors/shamans/"traditional" elite.

Cannabis in SE Asia was always considered "old people" medicine, before we (USA) invaded in the 60's. Yup I'm old, pass me some Thai stick. Problem solved!

:party: Welcome nhteatime :welcome:

It's nice knowing something about the original owners - a couple of their stories. They seem like nice people.

Hey there Rad.. good to see you have some green in the indoor garden. Good job buddy. It's only going to get greener from here on out!

BP - keep away from the stuff that gets your BP up! hahaha... could be and likely stuff are stress and alcohol. I've been trying to avoid the stress part! Moderation ... I lern't that the "old fashioned" way. :oops:

With cannabis ... some strains help, some make it worse (short term). We are just starting to figure that part out tho... I bet this has already been figured out by our ancestors/shamans/"traditional" elite.

Cannabis in SE Asia was always considered "old people" medicine, before we (USA) invaded in the 60's. Yup I'm old, pass me some Thai stick. Problem solved!

Well - before I get to enjoy the green, I've been busy turning gray (concrete) into brown (wood floor and walls) and almond (caulk). The growing stalls will get white primer before I move the plants in.

I ran out of caulk this afternoon, and I'm getting a bit of a cough so I decided to wait until tommorow to finish caulking and begin spraying. I tested out the small paint sprayer with water, and made a few adjustments so I think it will work well.

I'm also going to need to brush down the brick walls and vacuum up the mess before painting. I swept the walls good a few days ago, but I'm still getting powdery paint on my clothes when I lean against the bricks.

I've had good lower branch growth this past week - no pictures yet - and I'm feeling like they will be ready to move into the 7 gallon pots very soon. The soil I had measured into the pots dried out so I practiced watering from the bottom. I don't think watering from the bottom in fabric pots will work out well. There is too much soil disturbance from moving the pots and the fabric pots took over 20 minutes to drain after soaking. Taking that long, I tend to get distracted and leave things soaking and draining for an hour or more before I get back to them. With my brain, that just won't work. I'll be switching to top watering after I go to the larger fabric pots.

I have yet to start the weekly Brix foliar - I'll try to get that started as soon as I get the plants into their new home. Probably on Monday.

I plan to take some pictures this weekend.

No Thai Stick but I'll share the pleasure of being older with you :passitleft:

A suggestion on watering, Rado ...

I have the same patience and space problem you have so that resonated with me. :cheesygrinsmiley: Soaking, moving, draining, swapping ... meh.

So I tried something last run that worked pretty well - better than just top watering. I'd drench/water over two days - give it another couple quarts the day before or after I drench. When the pots are dry, the soil doesn't wick worth a crap so water runs down the sides. I get around that by drenching a quart at a time, from plant to plant. But I was still getting dry pockets. So, when the soil is wet already it wicks great and it'll accept more, to accept its full share of water.

Some days, my plants would look thirsty but I didn't have time, so I'd fill a bucket and give everything enough to get by. The next day they'd accept more drench than usual. Worked great! Same with adding more water the next day.

:thumb:

A suggestion on watering, Rado ...

I have the same patience and space problem you have so that resonated with me. :cheesygrinsmiley: Soaking, moving, draining, swapping ... meh.

So I tried something last run that worked pretty well - better than just top watering. I'd drench/water over two days - give it another couple quarts the day before or after I drench. When the pots are dry, the soil doesn't wick worth a crap so water runs down the sides. I get around that by drenching a quart at a time, from plant to plant. But I was still getting dry pockets. So, when the soil is wet already it wicks great and it'll accept more, to accept its full share of water.

Some days, my plants would look thirsty but I didn't have time, so I'd fill a bucket and give everything enough to get by. The next day they'd accept more drench than usual. Worked great! Same with adding more water the next day.

:thumb:

In flower, I have previous bottom watered with a tray containing several inches of perlite and kept the perlite moist all through flower. In this new city, I don't think I can buy perlite for anything close to $20 per 40 gallon bag. So I'll water more traditionally.

For veg, I still want to let the soil dry out to get the roots to spread.
I think I'll try your suggestion, water for 2-3 days in a row, then let them dry out :)

Thanks !!!!

Back
Top Bottom