Alaskan1 Sativa Dom Flo n Gro Tent #2

For the last 4 or 5 days this tent has been using between 4 to 5.5 gallons of water a day. Tonight I check it and zip, nada, nothing........how freakin odd lol
PPMS started around 1700 and dropped about 150 a day in PPM, Over night it's right back to where it started lol. PH raised by .2 from 5.6 to 5.8. I just left everything alone and called it good. Plants are asleep right now but I'll get some pictures up tomorrow.

Also have some findings on the test I ran earlier......to defoliate or not to defoliate that was the question. Well here's my report on that.
The 3 I did nothing to but just let them grow? Well they ended up being that smallest plants of the group. Infact, one is so small I don't expct much if any production out of it. I think it's because it just got over shaddowed by the other two plants and got no light. The other two grew but just not as tall as the other. The group that grew the tallest were the ones that got the heaviest defoliation. Very tall plants and they are forming some nice nugs.
The middle group that just got a light defol I think are forming the biggest and tightest colas.
There you have it!!

For the last 4 or 5 days this tent has been using between 4 to 5.5 gallons of water a day. Tonight I check it and zip, nada, nothing........how freakin odd lol
PPMS started around 1700 and dropped about 150 a day in PPM, Over night it's right back to where it started lol. PH raised by .2 from 5.6 to 5.8. I just left everything alone and called it good. Plants are asleep right now but I'll get some pictures up tomorrow.

Also have some findings on the test I ran earlier......to defoliate or not to defoliate that was the question. Well here's my report on that.
The 3 I did nothing to but just let them grow? Well they ended up being that smallest plants of the group. Infact, one is so small I don't expct much if any production out of it. I think it's because it just got over shaddowed by the other two plants and got no light. The other two grew but just not as tall as the other. The group that grew the tallest were the ones that got the heaviest defoliation. Very tall plants and they are forming some nice nugs.
The middle group that just got a light defol I think are forming the biggest and tightest colas.
There you have it!!

I have battled the defolination question a time or two. I go lite if at all. I usually just take the fans that are more than 50% damaged or used up. I have found that way to be the best for the majority of my stains.
You will find what works best for your setup and stains within that setup.

Looking good A1!
:peace:

Alright, as promised some new pictures of the grow in week 3 of flower
IMG_05699.JPG

IMG_057010.JPG

IMG_05718.JPG

IMG_057211.JPG

IMG_05738.JPG

IMG_057412.JPG

Lookin good AK1.

Just a fyi on side by side with defoliation. Rarely will it be a good test. Simply because there will be plants shading other plants.

I don't need to tell you my thoughts on plucking. Boy do my fingers stink!

Lookin good AK1.

Just a fyi on side by side with defoliation. Rarely will it be a good test. Simply because there will be plants shading other plants.

I don't need to tell you my thoughts on plucking. Boy do my fingers stink!

I'm not sure I want to know about stinking fingers Bass. I don't know where they have been!
I think it was a good enough test for me to find out that defoliation is the way to go in a small area like I have. Who'd a thunk you could cram 18 plants in a 4x8 tent

one word
wow

I will take that as a compliment Chronic lol :thumb:

One thing people seem to FAIL to recognize, and often quote the opposite, is one simple fact.

Plants are ENCOURAGED to grow taller/bigger/stronger when damage occurs. Most people say that this stresses the plant and therefore is bad. OF COURSE IT DOES!! THAT'S THE POINT!! But stress is not always a bad thing.

Placing a fan in your grow stresses a plant and makes stronger stems, even though most people only do it to get good air circulation. The biggest reason most people forget, or don't know is that blowing around in the wind is what CAUSES the big strong stems that hold up those huge colas.

When you snip/clip/prune/defoliate ANY plant, the plant responds by growing new stronger growth. It's a survival response. Anyone ever heard of TRUNK PIERCING?! I used to do it all the time in my larger grows. it causes very hearty growth in the veg stage because the plant believes it is constantly under attack and therefore grows stronger and stronger. When leaves are pulled, in order to survive, the plant grows more to replace what was lost. If this did not happen, eventually the same stressor, repeated would strip the plant completely and it would die. The general response, when lateral growth is removed, vertical growth is the response. I believe to possibly get above whatever has been biting on the sides.

Think of it like this. A deer comes along and munches the sides of a plant. The plant responds by growing taller, and adding weight to stems, and putting out more leaves/growth higher up. Eventually the deer would not be able to reach the vegetation it is after and wanders off in search of something else, thus the plant survives.

Adversely, when we top a plant, it responds by growing more girth and almost doubles it's lateral growth. In the deer scenario, eventually the deer will not be able to reach the inside of the plant where there is green, and the plant survives, and then can grow taller.

I know a lot of you are thinking, "A plant doesn't just make a decision to grow a certain way," and you'd be right: There is no thinking about it. But hormonal differences in plant tips, and stems, and trunks, are what causes this, and thus the response is the same. do you make a decision to scar over when you are cut? Poor example of course, but it does sort of prove my point here. Cells do what they're told to do by the circumstances they are presented. Cause and effect. When you work out, are you not sore the day after? Do you not grow stronger because of the torn muscle tissue regowing and increasing to withstand that stress later? Repeated stress of this sort can cause a dramatic change in muscle tone and bulk and strength of the tissue. The same thing can be observed in plants. Supercropping, for example...

What AK1 observed and recorded was nature in all her beauty at work. Also as he proved there is a balance to be reached, and also a point at which the intended stressor is too much and less vigorous growth is observed. I still stand by a light defoliation ad day 21/22 and full at day 45. I like budsticks in an SoG and will take this over a full mat of popcorn any day from my SoG.

Sorry, AK1. I'll get off my soapbox, now.

Jandre, you can get up on the soapbox anytime you like my friend. Infact, I wish you would more often! My journal is your journal. That goes for everyone. I like the fact you speak your mind whether it's something I want to hear or not. Your knowledge is invalueable to all of us. I know you and your help has made me and many others better growers. Same goes with a lot of other people on this fourum.

I'm not sure I want to know about stinking fingers Bass. I don't know where they have been!
I think it was a good enough test for me to find out that defoliation is the way to go in a small area like I have. Who'd a thunk you could cram 18 plants in a 4x8 tent

Well once you get into heavy defoliation starting in veg, you may find you'll cut that back to only 8 plants and yield the same or more. Not experienced with sativa though so don't take my word for it.

Well once you get into heavy defoliation starting in veg, you may find you'll cut that back to only 8 plants and yield the same or more. Not experienced with sativa though so don't take my word for it.
Funny you should mention that! I just had a very experienced grower friend here and we were talking about that very same subject. We were thinking that 8 might be the correct number for each tent. We were also talking about perhaps trying a scrog or sea of green in tent 3 and see how that works out. We are trying to boost production in each tent. He does not believe that 10 pounds wet is reachable they way it's set up now.

Jandre, you can get up on the soapbox anytime you like my friend. Infact, I wish you would more often! My journal is your journal. That goes for everyone. I like the fact you speak your mind whether it's something I want to hear or not. Your knowledge is invalueable to all of us. I know you and your help has made me and many others better growers. Same goes with a lot of other people on this fourum.

Wow, I was sure everyone would think, "Shit, there he goes again on one of his rants," and scroll through. Thanks for that.

Wow, I was sure everyone would think, "Shit, there he goes again on one of his rants," and scroll through. Thanks for that.

If that last post of yours was a rant, by all means rant on brother!

I think judging by the slew of thumbs ups people gave you most of are in agreement :D

If that last post of yours was a rant, by all means rant on brother!

I think judging by the slew of thumbs ups people gave you most of are in agreement :D

Heh. I guess so. I'm just used to people tuning me out, I guess, when I get going on a subject. I'm glad you all liked what I had to say. Honestly I'm never sure how people will react when I finally get fed up with it and voice what I feel to be the truth in such a way that it's almost as if I was bludgeoning people with information. But I guess, if I commented more on the whole debate it wouldn't come to a head like it does...

LOL! I guess I just like to have the last word! :thumb:

Well I only read page 17 and 18 of this thread lol. All I know is what you said about "harm" to plants actually being helpful in the long run was spot on.

I just cracked a thompsons grape vine main stem really hard like 2 weeks ago when i was transplanting it into my garden. I was worried it would die it was so bad. But it just sorta hung around, stayed green, but didnt grow at all from being stunted and shocked so bad. Well now the last 2 or 3 days I have noticed mega growth on it. Its quite likely because it now has a very strong trunk and root structure from reparing itself from my fuckup lol.

Back
Top Bottom