Bud's Does A SIP Featuring The ViparSpectra KS5000

I totally agree with you on planting directly into the 1gal pots.. I personally go with 2.5 gal then out to the garden, this year I will up pot into 20gal holes, hopefully that will get me 4 lbs a plant... strictly an organic outdoor grower myself...like what you are doing so far, I’m gonna fallow along , may even give it a try one day

1E1E7567-51D9-43E3-A823-3D346ECDF0C2.jpeg

7BBCEB21-1D64-4334-94AA-6969AB2FB639.jpeg

I totally agree with you on planting directly into the 1gal pots.. I personally go with 2.5 gal then out to the garden, this year I will up pot into 20gal holes, hopefully that will get me 4 lbs a plant... strictly an organic outdoor grower myself...like what you are doing so far, I’m gonna fallow along , may even give it a try one day

1E1E7567-51D9-43E3-A823-3D346ECDF0C2.jpeg

7BBCEB21-1D64-4334-94AA-6969AB2FB639.jpeg
Them are some damned nice looking plants you got there. Maybe some day I'll be in a location I can grow outdoors.
Sure would save a ton of money if I could.

Thanks for the tag Buds. Wouldn't miss this one!

Of all the stuff you've covered so far I'm most interested in seeing how the ping pong balls fit into the equation. :hmmmm:

Happy Growing!

It seems overall that the biggest gain in using SIP's is for size & yield. But, I think it also speeds up Veg time once the roots hit the res. It probably cuts a week or two off your grow time from start to harvest. You say you don't need a big yield. But consider the fact that you only have to do 1/2 as many grows to keep you in supply which cuts down on your overall cost. I can do 1 grow of 3 plants a year & be supplied all year long if I choose to. That would yield me 3-4 lbs. so that's an oz. per week to smoke. Way more than enough.
And you don't have to use the 5 gallon buckets. I grow in the 2 gallon buckets, with smaller plants.

After looking at the red and blue lights that you were talking about, it's not actually blue, it's UV and also far red. So I can see red and blue. As we discussed, the common use of the IR is as trigger lights, for 10 minutes before and after the light period. To the manufacturer's credit that light allows you to separately turn on either the IR or the UV separately or together. Not a lot of experimentation has been done yet on UV and there are debates as to whether UVA or UVB is better for the plants. I think what we're seeing in the experiments is that too much UV, ie being run full time, is not a good thing and it quickly degrades the trichomes.
Running UV around the noon hour, mimicking what the sun does, seems to not harm the trichomes and as a protection from the UV the plant does produce quite a few more trichomes.

I will be curious to hear what you find in your experiments with both of these spectrums. It's going to be hard to decide what to do since there are so many conflicting recommendations out there as to what to do with these lights. Good luck! I will be watching with interest.

I really like the fact that this light is so lightweight. It only weighs 12.8 lbs. & it being foldable sure makes it easy to carry to the tent, unfold & install in just minutes.
Here's a few pics of the KS5000 hanging & ready for take off.
30.JPG
31.JPG
32.JPG

In the next 4 pics I'll show the light at different brightness levels. If you look at the bottom of each pic it makes it easy to see the light differences.
Here it is at just 25% power. I should mention the KS5000 draws 500 True Watts from the wall. So at 25% it's only 125 watts which works well for germinating seeds.
33.JPG

At 50% it gets a little brighter & pulls 250 watts which is great for seedlings & Early Veg.
34.JPG

At 75% I feel like the cops just shined a spotlight in my face. This baby is really bright so I should get some great penetration. Damned, that made me laugh. Sounds like sex with a light.... lol. Hope you all have a sense of humor.
35.JPG

100%.... Oh Holy Chit.... I think there's a whole swat team out there lighting up the whole house. Yes, this light is Super Bright. Much brighter than most lights I've used.
Should make some excellent buds with this much light.
36.JPG

There's also an EXT position on the Dimmer, which I never use. I consider it Overdrive Mode. I don't really feel I need to push my lights or plants that hard to accomplish my goals so I wont be using it this grow.
The KS5000 is equipped with Samsung LM301H Diodes (792 pcs. of 3000K & 432 pcs. of 5000K) & OSRAM 660nm Diodes (86 pcs.).
It has a 4x4 Flowering Footprint, but could also be used in a 5x5 tent as well.

I appreciate the write up on this light. I just ordered one and as always I am curious about it's build quality and light output. I normally grow with a little LST and let them go from there. This time I am netting them so I want the full use of my 4X4 tent with the light close to the canopy for penetration.

Your SIP method intrigues me. It obvuilsy works well for you looking at that Aurora monster plant that you grew. I am a coco when I am lazy DWC when not grower. Looks like your growth rates mimic hydro in soil.

I appreciate the write up on this light. I just ordered one and as always I am curious about it's build quality and light output. I normally grow with a little LST and let them go from there. This time I am netting them so I want the full use of my 4X4 tent with the light close to the canopy for penetration.

Your SIP method intrigues me. It obvuilsy works well for you looking at that Aurora monster plant that you grew. I am a coco when I am lazy DWC when not grower. Looks like your growth rates mimic hydro in soil.
I have also been wondering if the sub-irrigation makes it kind of a hydro grow even if your medium is soil?

Thanks for the tag Buds. Wouldn't miss this one!

Of all the stuff you've covered so far I'm most interested in seeing how the ping pong balls fit into the equation. :hmmmm:

Happy Growing!
The Ping Pong Balls will be my Dip Stick Float to show me the water levels in the Internal Reservoir. Seen a lot of Ping Pong Balls float at the Carnival Gold Fish Game. That's where I got the idea. Just melt a small hole in it with a soldering iron & insert the wooden stick. Put a drop of clear silicon around the stick to seal it up. Then it floats up & down in the Black PVC Fill Tube to show you the water level.

I have also been wondering if the sub-irrigation makes it kind of a hydro grow even if your medium is soil?
I see hydro as more about bottled nutes and pH pens and the like. Much more controlled and scientific.. Deep pools of standing water aerated either remotely with a circulation system or directly in each container's reservoir with air stones.

SIPs give similar outcomes but with less complication, and can be used with organic soils, and water only if your container is big enough.

So I think it shares some concepts, but unless you're running it with coco, I don't see it as hydro. Similar results in the explosive growth, and no dry cycle which allows the plants to grow without the pause you get from that dry period, but so much easier than hydro.

This is coming from someone who very much dislikes the pH pen. Not sure why. Maybe some weird trauma from my childhood. :rolleyes:

In some ways it does mimic Hydro. But Hydro still grows faster & bigger plants in less time. I think these SIP's are a close second & is better than Coco in a Fabric Pot. I never pulled a pound per plant with DWC. But I do almost every time with SIP's. Not so sure I'll get a pound off this GG Auto though. I don't usually grow Auto's but felt like throwing one in there after 3 years of not growing one. Looks like an 8 -10 oz. plant to me. Good enough.

I see hydro as more about bottled nutes and pH pens and the like. Much more controlled and scientific.. Deep pools of standing water aerated either remotely with a circulation system or directly in each container's reservoir with air stones.

SIPs give similar outcomes but with less complication, and can be used with organic soils, and water only if your container is big enough.

So I think it shares some concepts, but unless you're running it with coco, I don't see it as hydro. Similar results in the explosive growth, and no dry cycle which allows the plants to grow without the pause you get from that dry period, but so much easier than hydro.

This is coming from someone who very much dislikes the pH pen. Not sure why. Maybe some weird trauma from my childhood. :rolleyes:
You must do organics. I pH my nutes every time I mix them. They say you don't have to with soil; but I feel better when I do. I've actually been wondering if I should pH to 5.8 since this is sort of a Hydro/Soil Grow. Or do like Old Salt taught me with Coco & feed at 5.8 until mid-flower & then go to 6.4 for 2-3 weeks before dropping it back down to 5.8. I'd have to read my 2nd journal again to see why we did it. I just remember it was a good grow.

You must do organics. I pH my nutes every time I mix them. They say you don't have to with soil; but I feel better when I do. I've actually been wondering if I should pH to 5.8 since this is sort of a Hydro/Soil Grow. Or do like Old Salt taught me with Coco & feed at 5.8 until mid-flower & then go to 6.4 for 2-3 weeks before dropping it back down to 5.8. I'd have to read my 2nd journal again to see why we did it. I just remember it was a good grow.
:laughtwo: Yes. Very true. I grow organics and very much like the simplicity of that. Of course there's a lot more on the front end switch mixing soils and feeding microbes, so maybe not actually easier in the end but fits my style much better.

Thanks for the tag, bud! I wish that I had the space for it. My missus is a horder and the basement is more of a gym than anything else.

You have an impressive set-up. I never realized just how much RH and temp mattered untill I joined here.

Looks like a good follow, for the sake od canneducation.

Break a leg, bro!

Cheers

Hey Buds, thanks for the tag. Love the cleanliness of the tent. I need to do something like that myself, thanks for the behind the tent curtain look. Good luck with the 2lb grow, if anyone can do it, I'd put my money on you. Looking forward to this one, kick ass my friend.

Sure wish I could figure out why I'm having so much trouble germinating seeds lately. I've been doing it the same way for 5 years & never had an issue till lately. Had trouble last grow too.
Today, there was no sign of a sprout so I brushed off some top soil. No sign of anything. Dug deeper. No sign of anything. Dug deeper. Can't even find the seed. Getting really tired of wasting seeds.
Just dropped another seed. It has to be the seeds. I know it's not me after 5 years of successful germinating the same way. Probably, old stock or something. Just not sure. But I sure hate wasting time like this. I'm at the point where this is really starting to tick me off.

Sure wish I could figure out why I'm having so much trouble germinating seeds lately. I've been doing it the same way for 5 years & never had an issue till lately. Had trouble last grow too.
Today, there was no sign of a sprout so I brushed off some top soil. No sign of anything. Dug deeper. No sign of anything. Dug deeper. Can't even find the seed. Getting really tired of wasting seeds.
Just dropped another seed. It has to be the seeds. I know it's not me after 5 years of successful germinating the same way. Probably, old stock or something. Just not sure. But I sure hate wasting time like this. I'm at the point where this is really starting to tick me off.
I hear you. You are not the only person complaining about this. It seems to be a fairly common frustration. I had seeds not sprout last grow and this grow. Also don't usually have any difficulty so I blame the seed. Good luck with this seed!

Back with some Tags & guess what ? "You're It !" If your name is on this list it's because you followed one of my journals at some point or you were on the last 10 pages from here SIP Club - Getting Hydro/Coco Results In A Soil Based Medium . Thought I'd add some of the other SIP-Pers just in case they are interested. Never the less, I probably missed some folks. But anyone & everyone is more than welcome to join in. Feel free to speak up, ask questions or post pics. I'm easy to work with & we all learn from each other's conversations. So here we go with the list. It's gotten pretty long. Gonna need a joint break after this.... lol.

@Azimuth , @InTheShed , @farside05 , @Emilya Green , @Krissi Carbone , @Trala , @HashGirl , @Carmen Ray , @Bill284 ,
@013 , @VetSmoke85 , @Nine Toed Hippie , @ReservoirDog , @Grand Daddy Black , @bluter , @LKABudMan , @Hash Hound , @StoneOtter , @Carcass , @el gringuito , @Mountainman80 , @GratefulBud , @Timhomegrow , @Northward , @bluenoserjoe , @Gidorah , @greenjeans , @Stunger , @GreenFingaz , @Fenderbender , @CaptainLucky , @Nev , @Will11 , @Twalte , @lootznbootz , @Keffka , @AspenCultivator , @sjb504 , @stardawg17 , @Thomas M , @Bode , @Big Sparks , @smokesbetter , @7Dust2 , @KeithLemon , @scottreid1966 , @erieflwr , @nick5311 , @Gee64 , @Weffalo , @NickHardy

Sorry if I missed you. But pull up a rock & sit down a spell !
I'll jump in if it's cool witchoo...

Back
Top Bottom