Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Everyone make sure you go and vote in the monthly contests for January and don’t forget the yearly ones for 2019 as well. Last day to vote is tomorrow!

I posted this on my journal, but thought I would post here hoping to get some feedback.

These are the OGKBV2.1 crosses (slurricane #7 x Gelato #33) that came as freebies In the last IHG half pack promo. They have been a bit slow up to this point, but I am noticing after I topped one that there is almost no growth of branches. The photo where you can see one topped was pinched off almost a week ago.....I have plenty of plants to fill the spot in the flower room....should I cull these?
20200130_170757.jpg
20200130_170738.jpg
20200130_170735.jpg

I posted this on my journal, but thought I would post here hoping to get some feedback.

These are the OGKBV2.1 crosses (slurricane #7 x Gelato #33) that came as freebies In the last IHG half pack promo. They have been a bit slow up to this point, but I am noticing after I topped one that there is almost no growth of branches. The photo where you can see one topped was pinched off almost a week ago.....I have plenty of plants to fill the spot in the flower room....should I cull these?
20200130_170757.jpg
20200130_170738.jpg
20200130_170735.jpg

Sooooo, never top unless you've got 5-7 bladed leaves above and below the topping. You've got 3's and 4's here....so topping this plant messed up the hormones, which are all stored in the apical meristem....the tippy top of the growing branches, the tallest one having most of the growth hormones.

You'll need to be very patient to bring it around. If you can cull it without suffering, I'd do it.

Sooooo, never top unless you've got 5-7 bladed leaves above and below the topping. You've got 3's and 4's here....so topping this plant messed up the hormones, which are all stored in the apical meristem....the tippy top of the growing branches, the tallest one having most of the growth hormones.

You'll need to be very patient to bring it around. If you can cull it without suffering, I'd do it.
Wow! Thanks Doc. I had no idea. Noted and I don't think I will forget that for a while.

I have more than enough plants at the moment not to suffer, so it's all good except losing this strain. The other plant however hasn't been topped and still showing the same slower branch growth...

I never knew there should be 5-7 leaves above. Does the tiny new growth coming out the top which is GOING to have 5 or 7 for sure count? That is all I've ever topped or fimmed. Giving this one a little early light bending, tucking and tilting. It's one of my A5s. Just topped the other day.

And my quad, BCP. Nodes 1&2 were stripped a week ago then topped a couple days later. The 2nd set had 5 blades.

.:passitleft:

I never knew there should be 5-7 leaves above. Does the tiny new growth coming out the top which is GOING to have 5 or 7 for sure count? That is all I've ever topped or fimmed. Giving this one a little early light bending, tucking and tilting. It's one of my A5s. Just topped the other day.

And my quad, BCP. Nodes 1&2 were stripped a week ago then topped a couple days later. The 2nd set had 5 blades.

I cant wait till my next grow. I will be doing Killer A5 Haze and MalawixPannama I am dyeing to try that A5. Good strain choice. Of course it will be in Docs soil and using the kit. I have been assimilated :cool:
:high-five:
:snowboating:

Hey Ween, Doc and friends. Ween , the thing about topping so early like that is, there really isn't a solid enough base (anchor) and the mains that grow from it only have a short , be it thick main stalk. Wat happens is a plant that is un stable when mature. She will be fine , talkin bout your lil A5 there. It's better to wait until there is a better /stronger base. Hope this helps. Also a true 'node' comes when the leaves are multi bladed. Cheers Ween , Doc and gang.:circle-of-love:

As long as you've got 5 or more ODD NUMBERED sets of leaves above and below the top, you'll be fine.

Wow! Thanks Doc. I had no idea. Noted and I don't think I will forget that for a while.

I have more than enough plants at the moment not to suffer, so it's all good except losing this strain. The other plant however hasn't been topped and still showing the same slower branch growth...
It’s a common trait of OG to grow slow like this I would hang onto it until you see what the flowers do.

Hey Ween, Doc and friends. Ween , the thing about topping so early like that is, there really isn't a solid enough base (anchor) and the mains that grow from it only have a short , be it thick main stalk. Wat happens is a plant that is un stable when mature. She will be fine , talkin bout your lil A5 there. It's better to wait until there is a better /stronger base. Hope this helps. Also a true 'node' comes when the leaves are multi bladed. Cheers Ween , Doc and gang.:circle-of-love:

Thanks Duggan! Next time I'll wait longer before topping. I'm really liking my 4 mains, 2 A5s and 2 BCPs. Different phenos in each I'm guessing. :yummy:

As long as you've got 5 or more ODD NUMBERED sets of leaves above and below the top, you'll be fine.

Thanks Doc! :passitleft:

20200130_170757.jpg
20200130_170738.jpg
20200130_170735.jpg
I’d keep it going. OGKB is notorious for slow vegging. My OGKB dominant Pugsbreath did the same thing. Worth the wait though IMO.

I've got a little oddity I thought I'd share.

The pic below shows a White Widow day 18 from breaking ground. As you can see, it still has its cotyledons, as well the the first "single" blade leaves. This plant sat there and didn't do anything, ie grow leaves, until about 3 days ago when all of sudden it took off. It appears that this plant "FIMmed" itself! There are four distinct growth tips showing. Never seen anything like it. BTW, the first time I grew WW (f) I found two seeds. One was greenish, which I dumped, the other looked mature so I threw it in with the remaining WW seeds I had. So, it might be some kind of bastardized seed! LOL!
757D911E-3AC7-48F9-B5CC-FC36065BE4FC-12336-00000B95BB59985F.jpg
A little update on my "oddity".

The little White Widow plant is now 37 days from seed. All four branches (well, three. I got a little carried away.....) are growing thick and bushy with very tight internodes.

I've been gone - Canary Islands - look for a post on this in the Landrace 101 forum, so I haven't touched them in a while (got back Wed. late). They were so thick that there was zero light getting into the middle of the plant and down to the soil so today I cleaned up the heavy growth. It was hard to see where to cut. Getting my thick fingers to move foliage around to see what I was cutting was a challenge and, as I alluded to, I snipped off one of the four branches. It was the smallest and shortest of the four, so if one had to go..... You can see the stump in the first pic below.

The pics show how thick the growth is and how close the internodes are. Still trying to decide if I want the top the three remaining branches. Right now, the growth at the tip and internodes is so tight, that I couldn't safely get scissors in there to make a cut! Hoping it will start stretching a little.

C0E3109E-9F3F-41BB-A6E9-2BA33C23DBB7-3045-00000221DB417DC9.jpg
IMG_1672.jpg
IMG_1673.jpg

A little update on my "oddity".

The little White Widow plant is now 37 days from seed. All four branches (well, three. I got a little carried away.....) are growing thick and bushy with very tight internodes.

I've been gone - Canary Islands - look for a post on this in the Landrace 101 forum, so I haven't touched them in a while (got back Wed. late). They were so thick that there was zero light getting into the middle of the plant and down to the soil so today I cleaned up the heavy growth. It was hard to see where to cut. Getting my thick fingers to move foliage around to see what I was cutting was a challenge and, as I alluded to, I snipped off one of the four branches. It was the smallest and shortest of the four, so if one had to go..... You can see the stump in the first pic below.

The pics show how thick the growth is and how close the internodes are. Still trying to decide if I want the top the three remaining branches. Right now, the growth at the tip and internodes is so tight, that I couldn't safely get scissors in there to make a cut! Hoping it will start stretching a little.

C0E3109E-9F3F-41BB-A6E9-2BA33C23DBB7-3045-00000221DB417DC9.jpg
IMG_1672.jpg
IMG_1673.jpg
I've got a cut of Orient Express x NepJam that is like that. You need a scissors with a fine tip to get in there. I end up taking a decent amount of the top fan leaves off to let light down to the lower buds.

Got my test results back from the last grow: Elev8's Harlequin CBD, Ace's Panama and Purple Satellite. I've attached them for whomever is interested.

Here's a quick synopsis of the results:

Harlequin CBD:: THC: 0.053% - CBD: 12.893% - TERPS: 5.5mg/g
Panama:: THC: 24.581% - CBD: 0.0% - TERPS: 11.1mg/g
Purple Satellite:: THC: 20.736% - CBD: 0.0% - TERPS: 10.7mg/g

The Panama at 24.581% THC is the highest I've ever achieved. This is a testimony to both the quality of the genetics and Doc's High Brix Method.

They're still curing, so I've only tested them. I'll get back with a smoke report later. I will say, the Panama and the Purple Satellite are defiantly Sativas!
Harlequin #1 - CBD 1:2020 copy.jpgHarlequin #1 - CBD 1:2020 copy2.jpgPanama #2 1:2020 copy.jpgPanama #2 1:2020 copy2.jpgPurple Satillite #3 1:2020 copy.jpgPurple Satillite #3 1:2020 copy2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom