Dusted Bud Genetics In High Brix Grown By BrixNewb

Dying to see what they look like now BN they have to be getting big! PLCD2 is my early pick for awesome.

Well you are just in time! I haven't been updating as often as I like because every time I would go to take pictures they wouldn't look very good (my own doing, I am the newb!). But today I decided to get the pictures anyway. I have been working on my watering technique, letting them dry out before watering them. I still manage to funk them up somehow, even when all I do is water with 1/4 Trans water. Anyway, on to the update:

Pliny Lights x Cali Dreamin #1 is currently in a 2 gallon plastic pot. She got upcanned recently and I trimmed her up today. I am keeping an eye on her preflowers and I am pretty sure that she is a female. I am seeing what looks like a calyx, but in another week or two we should know for sure. Fingers crossed.

DSC_0003116.JPG

DSC_0002115.JPG

Pliny Lights x Cali Dreamin #2 is due to be upcanned, I believe that is why she is droopy. I pulled her out of her pot and the bottom of the pot is full of roots that have circled. The reason I haven't upcanned is that there is no more room in the veg tent. I am upgrading from a 32"x20" veg tent to a 48"x24" tent, so hopefully soon there will be extra room.

DSC_0005116.JPG

DSC_0004118.JPG

Pliny Lights x Cali Dreamin #3 and #4 were planted at the same time, nothing much to report.

DSC_0007111.JPG

DSC_0006123.JPG

Pliny Lights x Cali Dreamin #4

DSC_0009105.JPG

DSC_0008107.JPG

So far looks like a uniform set of plants, the phenos at least in veg look very tight. Leaves have a sinister sharpness to them. Plants could uptake a bit more nitrogen. This could be the watering thing, if not maybe a small pinch of bloodmeal would help or half a rescue drench. My Twisters were like that at first but a rescue brought them right on line.

I feel your pain with the veg tent. Because I am on an endless pheno hunt like most of us are I have too many veggies as well. The Pliny CD at the top looks like a nice topping would make her an instant bush shape.

Dunno if it will work for you, but your plants look a lot like mine did at first. It was recommended I do a rescue drench. It helped a lot for a while. It seems weird all the rescue drenches I'm seeing recently.

So far looks like a uniform set of plants, the phenos at least in veg look very tight. Leaves have a sinister sharpness to them. Plants could uptake a bit more nitrogen. This could be the watering thing, if not maybe a small pinch of bloodmeal would help or half a rescue drench. My Twisters were like that at first but a rescue brought them right on line.

I feel your pain with the veg tent. Because I am on an endless pheno hunt like most of us are I have too many veggies as well. The Pliny CD at the top looks like a nice topping would make her an instant bush shape.

I agree, so far they seem to be a pretty stable genetic. We will see as they progress, these are the first genetics where I planted multiple plants of the same strain. I have sprayed them with De-Stress and if that doesn't bring them online I will hit the whole lot of them with a Rescue Drench when they are ready for a drink.

Hopefully the extra room will help out. I think I can just squeak by with a 4'x2' tent. Doesn't matter though, because it's all I have room for.

I am always so hesitant to top my plants. Let's meet back again in a week and see. I was thinking that #1 had a lot of upward growth and I was looking for more side growth, so topping does seem like the natural answer. I am sure within the next few days I will take her head off.

Dunno if it will work for you, but your plants look a lot like mine did at first. It was recommended I do a rescue drench. It helped a lot for a while. It seems weird all the rescue drenches I'm seeing recently.

Yeah, I am trying to get it figured out. I am a new grower, so there is some accounting for that. I don't mind hitting them with a Rescue Drench, was hoping they may come along since I gave them a light De-Stress.

Ditto, Major.

If the roots aren't formed up right in veg, things just don't go well.

I pulled #2 which is still in a 1 gallon to see how the roots looked. On the sides I had those nice, thin roots you said we want, but then at the bottom of the pot they are thick roots and have circled around. I am guessing that they grow down to the bottom and the bottom is holding water. I am thinking maybe some small holes in the bottom to allow drainage? Any input is appreciated.

I pulled #2 which is still in a 1 gallon to see how the roots looked. On the sides I had those nice, thin roots you said we want, but then at the bottom of the pot they are thick roots and have circled around. I am guessing that they grow down to the bottom and the bottom is holding water. I am thinking maybe some small holes in the bottom to allow drainage? Any input is appreciated.

The container doesn't have holes in it? Please take some pics!

Drill lots of holes in the bottom and the sides! Better yet, get new containers that have all kinds of holes on the bottom and sides. That's your problem.

Also, could you please share the temps of your room and if you're on a cold slab or not?

Roots too hot, or too cold is also an issue, but the main thing is the drainage.

The container doesn't have holes in it? Please take some pics!

Drill lots of holes in the bottom and the sides! Better yet, get new containers that have all kinds of holes on the bottom and sides. That's your problem.

Also, could you please share the temps of your room and if you're on a cold slab or not?

Roots too hot, or too cold is also an issue, but the main thing is the drainage.

They have holes on the side at the bottom, one about the size of a postage stamp every 90 degrees around. No holes on the very bottom that would sit on the floor of the tent.

Temps are good, average around 78 during lights on with around 50-60% humidity. Not sitting on a slab, there is a layer of hardwood with a 1/2" sheet of insulation on top of that and the tent sits on the sheet insulation. I would have a hard time believing that the roots are too hot or too cold, but I could put a couple planks of wood underneath to lift the plants off the floor of the tent. I have these planks down in the bloom tent to allow air flow underneath the pots. In the past you have mentioned the roots and something not being right with them on my vegging plants. It has to be something I am messing up, but I don't think it's the environment.

DSC_0010109.JPG

I don't know if these pictures help, but this is a plant that I have vegged for about two months now. Budzilla, now in a 7 gallon soft pot. It is the lighter green and has some light brown/tan spots on the ends of the leaves and they are crispy.

DSC_0011112.JPG

DSC_001393.JPG

DSC_0012109.JPG

They have holes on the side at the bottom, one about the size of a postage stamp every 90 degrees around. No holes on the very bottom that would sit on the floor of the tent.

Temps are good, average around 78 during lights on with around 50-60% humidity. Not sitting on a slab, there is a layer of hardwood with a 1/2" sheet of insulation on top of that and the tent sits on the sheet insulation. I would have a hard time believing that the roots are too hot or too cold, but I could put a couple planks of wood underneath to lift the plants off the floor of the tent. I have these planks down in the bloom tent to allow air flow underneath the pots. In the past you have mentioned the roots and something not being right with them on my vegging plants. It has to be something I am messing up, but I don't think it's the environment.

DSC_0010109.JPG

No, it's not the environment or the containers. You had me really worried there when you seemed to imply there weren't holes for water to drain out.

I'm not sure what caused the problem, but the roots are not happy at all.

For the small ones with a few sets of leaves, let them dry out, soak them in pure water, let them drain really well, tilting this way and that to get as much drippage as possible.

Next time they need water, dunk them in Rescue drench. Let them dry out again, and then do one more dunk with Rescue Drench.

No, it's not the environment or the containers. You had me really worried there when you seemed to imply there weren't holes for water to drain out.

I'm not sure what caused the problem, but the roots are not happy at all.

For the small ones with a few sets of leaves, let them dry out, soak them in pure water, let them drain really well, tilting this way and that to get as much drippage as possible.

Next time they need water, dunk them in Rescue drench. Let them dry out again, and then do one more dunk with Rescue Drench.

I apologize, I meant there were no holes in the very bottoms of the containers. I can't seem to keep happy roots. I will follow your advice, I appreciate it.

The containers are fine. I use those kind all the time.

Something is wrong, not sure what. We'll go through it step by step. Start with the water/rescue/rescue.

Tell me about how your soil cooked please?

I will absolutely water/rescue/rescue.

Soil cook is as follows: soil and amendment mixed, then watered, then split between two or three (can't remember off the top of my head) 32 gallon trash cans. They were set on a 1/2" sheet of insulation just like the tent in a room that is around 71 degrees all the time. They cooked for right at a month before I planted anything. I check the soil and have had to add a little bit of water maybe twice. Not super dry, not super wet, condensation on the lid after watering, not much condensation on the lid before watering.

I will go further and tell you about my watering. I generally consult the Excel files for water, in one gallon pots I use about .2 ml of trans for a 1/4 strength Trans water. I usually do not water to run off when watering. When drenching I like to let them soak up from the bottom and then I run the excess down the top a few times and drain the run off by tilting. I am usually very thorough about draining in one gallon pots, draining in seven gallon pots I will wait until I am getting less than a drop every couple seconds at least. For 5 and 7 gallon pots I use between 6-12 ml of drench and .6-1.2 ml of tea. I will say that I usually have 1/3 or less of the amount of water left after draining. If any of this doesn't make sense I apologize and would be happy to clarify further.

I will go further and tell you about my watering. I generally consult the Excel files for water, in one gallon pots I use about .2 ml of trans for a 1/4 strength Trans water. I usually do not water to run off when watering. When drenching I like to let them soak up from the bottom and then I run the excess down the top a few times and drain the run off by tilting. I am usually very thorough about draining in one gallon pots, draining in seven gallon pots I will wait until I am getting less than a drop every couple seconds at least. For 5 and 7 gallon pots I use between 6-12 ml of drench and .6-1.2 ml of tea. I will say that I usually have 1/3 or less of the amount of water left after draining. If any of this doesn't make sense I apologize and would be happy to clarify further.

You're doing everything right! Good job.

Are there any flying things or creeping things on the soil surface? Look carefully with a magnifier if you can. Fungus gnats and root aphids can cause trouble as well. You probably don't have either, just trying to be thorough.

You're doing everything right! Good job.

Are there any flying things or creeping things on the soil surface? Look carefully with a magnifier if you can. Fungus gnats and root aphids can cause trouble as well. You probably don't have either, just trying to be thorough.

In the past when I have been sitting with the tent open I have seen a small (can be mistaken for a spec of dust) flying thing buzzing around, but I do not believe this to be from the tent, I believe it to just be a common flying insect that is in my home. Not multiple ones either, just one on occasion. I have not seen any gnats and I generally inspect the leaf bottoms when I spray and when I defoliate I like to take a trouble leaf and my 60-120x scope and look for any issues, but I have been unable to find anything. Next time I pull a plant out of it's pot I will look really good for root aphids. I have researched them before because I thought I had them on some soil that I had mixed trimmings into, but I don't believe it was root aphids after researching.

In the past when I have been sitting with the tent open I have seen a small (can be mistaken for a spec of dust) flying thing buzzing around, but I do not believe this to be from the tent, I believe it to just be a common flying insect that is in my home. Not multiple ones either, just one on occasion. I have not seen any gnats and I generally inspect the leaf bottoms when I spray and when I defoliate I like to take a trouble leaf and my 60-120x scope and look for any issues, but I have been unable to find anything. Next time I pull a plant out of it's pot I will look really good for root aphids. I have researched them before because I thought I had them on some soil that I had mixed trimmings into, but I don't believe it was root aphids after researching.

It's very unlikely you have pests, but when faced with a mystery thoroughness is good practice. Check the soil surface.

I'll check in regularly, if I don't respond just pop over to my journal and let me know. I want to make sure you're successful.

:popcorn:

It'd be good to sort this out. I know Doc's plants don't get this look, but a lot of ours do.

:thumb:

It's very unlikely you have pests, but when faced with a mystery thoroughness is good practice. Check the soil surface.

I'll check in regularly, if I don't respond just pop over to my journal and let me know. I want to make sure you're successful.

I appreciate that. Not sure if it matters, but the shaded fans do not seem to have the leaf issues and are a nice, dark green. Also, the veg can be a tough time for me, but they make it through flower and the plants I have harvested so far I have been really happy with. So while I may have some issues, I am still growing good bud.

:popcorn:

It'd be good to sort this out. I know Doc's plants don't get this look, but a lot of ours do.

:thumb:

Hopefully. I do keep all my pipettes in the same cup, so maybe there was some cross-contamination? Not sure that would cause such issues.

I occasionally get an unhappy one too. But in my garden I toss it in the bin and replace it. Not everyone can do that.

With my setup now I am not opposed to tossing one out, but it would have to be pretty grotesque. I almost got rid of the Pineapple Chunk that refused to grow from my other journal. If I had any meds in reserve, it would have been gone.

Thanks for the help Doc, you have always been there when I have needed anything and I truly appreciate it.

Gave the Pliny Light x Cali Dreamin the straight RO water in preparation for their Rescue Drenches. Pliny Lights x Cali Dreamin #3 and #4 are both looking nice and healthy. #2 has some fade all around, but #1 actually looks nice and healthy on the tops, so she (I am pretty sure it's a she) looks to be making a beautiful comeback!

Some exciting news is that my 36"x20" veg tent was upgraded to a 48"x24". It was a small upgrade, but I really needed more veg room and could barely fit the 48"x24", but I made it work. I am extremely glad I did, it looks like it's the perfect size to veg in with a 4'x4' bloom tent. There is a lot more room than I thought, plenty for everyone! Now I can keep popping Dusted Bud beans and weed out the males without worrying about space.

Back
Top Bottom