Grape Ape & Golden Tiger Hit the Shower - DBHBB & 600W HPS - Winter 2016

Good morning Major
Hope all is well for you down south and hopefully you have had the same weather we have had up north here, 5 going on 6 days of sunshine and nothing but beauty.

Same to you up north. Weather has been awesome - sunny and in the 70's!

Major, what foliars have you recently used?
Zig-
I had been using 1/2 strength Brix twice per week and Destress once per week. This past week I skipped the Brix. Most of the fan leaves a yellow and falling off, so...
Any recommendations my fellow HB'rs?
:thanks:

-EDIT-
To answer your question, the last foliar was Destress given yesterday.

I just used some 1/2 Destress with WA10X..
Im glad you use DeStress. I find it helps move things along to the end. Same is true for some N.
I think the blood meal helps my non salt lovers too stay green(thats rare for me :)) lately

-Let's say you're the owner a flower delivery company ;). Would you give the flower delivery truck limited amount of gas to deliver their flowers? ;)

I just used some 1/2 Destress with WA10X..
Im glad you use DeStress. I find it helps move things along to the end. Same is true for some N.
I think the blood meal helps my non salt lovers too stay green(thats rare for me :)) lately

-Let's say you're the owner a flower delivery company ;). Would you give the flower delivery truck limited amount of gas to deliver their flowers? ;)

With my usual drench schedule, they should be ready for a GE drench on Monday.
With that in mind, do you think bloodmeal is in order for them? I have it already (I didn't get WA10X with the HB kit).

With my usual drench schedule, they should be ready for a GE drench on Monday.
With that in mind, do you think bloodmeal is in order for them? I have it already (I didn't get WA10X with the HB kit).

little late for the bloodmeal to breakdown I think. But maybe a watery slurry made with some 1/2- tsp bloodmeal, some EWC, pinch of Roots!, a little Tea and GE? :)

You should have the WA10X, especially for your JUNGLE you are GROWING :)... write Doc.

little late for the bloodmeal to breakdown I think. But maybe a watery slurry made with some 1/2- tsp bloodmeal, some EWC, pinch of Roots!, a little Tea and GE? :)

You should have the WA10X, especially for your JUNGLE you are GROWING :)... write Doc.

Just what the Doctor ordered - a Ziggy Cocktail.
Bloodmeal is really quick when mixed into water.
I'm afraid the outdoor grow isn't a Kit grow. It is just me mucking around with an untried soil mix. So far, so good.

are you testing your soil mix?
Sort of, but not really. The local grow supplies do soil testing, but I think they only test for PH and 'N'. At least those are the things they always tell you about. I've also done my own tests. The thing is, it isn't soil so much as peat moss-like medium (really old sawdust). I'm counting on it being a virtually inert potting-type mix.

you might be able to get it tested and with docs help amended for HB :)
Too late. :cheesygrinsmiley: the "soil" is mixed, amended, and has plants in it. The pictures I've been posting of the Summer Girls are all in it. The Ace of Spades and Pitbull moms I kept are also in it.

Yet another thread subscribed too. Cant wait to see the out door grow take shape!

:welldone::ganjamon:

Thanks mouser! Welcome aboard. I see Ziggy beat me to it.
I'll be starting my official outdoor journal in about three weeks. In the mean time, my updates will be here as I wind down this shower grow. Stay tuned...

IDK if anyone else will find this a good idea, but I came across it yesterday and thought it would be great for moving heavy pots around. Unfortunately, I have a curb in the shower and a lot of steps so I probably won't try it. These are easy to find but if you have a Harbor Freight nearby, they are only $7.99 right now. They are made of hardwood and rated at 1000 pounds (not likely), but certainly studly enough for a 7, 10, 15, or 25 gallon pot. They measure 12" x 18". Casters are swivel casters so you can even spin the dolly in place for plant maintenance.
I hope this isn't against forum rules. I just get tired moving big pots around.

Dolly.jpg

Yes Major, they are a great idea for growers. You all know i use heavy duty , five caster plant trollies , and swear by them. They save the back and allow the user to swivel them around to change the position of plants without straining or working too hard. I would like to see all of you guys using these with pots over 10 gal's. They make perfect sense along with getting that coveted air space we need in our , often concrete floor GR'ms. Cheers Major and reps to you for that post , my brotha!:thumb::Namaste:

Weekend Update (beginning week #19)
88 days since flip to 12/12

This update is a mixed bag with some good news and some bad news. First let's head indoors as I near the end of the shower grow for this season.

I'll be winding this journal down in the next week or two. The GT(+) keep throwing out new pistils and foxtailing, but most of the trichomes are cloudy now. They will get a GE drench tomorrow. They drink every 4 days so I could possibly go one more round of water > Trans/Tea > water > GE/Tea. The problem is with spider mites AGAIN. I've come to the conclusion I will have this problem with every grow. I try to keep everything clean and sanitize between grows. I also try to remain vigilant with sprays 4 days apart and rotate with: SNS (didn't seem to do much), Capt. Jack's Dead Bug Brew (meh, but definitely better), pyrethrin/neem (now we're cooking), and Azatrol (most effective for me). I think I've bred SuperMites. Also, my wife has plants all over the house and garden that have 'em. Realistically, I'm not going to change clothes and shower every time I work on my girls. Even if I did, they get exposed whenever they are outside. Oh well.

The mites came on like gangbusters in the past one to two weeks. I'm not sure how much of a problem they are for the plants at this stage, but fan leaves are dropping like flies. I hate to continue to spray with ANYTHING miticide-related this close to harvest. I'll be washing all produce, but still...

GT2-24.jpg

GT2-42.jpg

GT2-33.jpg

I can't say the resin production looks strong, but the smell is awesome still: bright, clean, with citrus/lime notes. The buds are monsters so it will be interesting to see how the plants yield and how they smoke. The buds are not rock hard, but they aren't as fluffy as they appear in pictures. Honestly, between the size of the colas and all the mites, it is impossible for me to tell exactly what is going on with them. Good or bad / right or wrong, we'll see soon enough.

Now onward to the great outdoors!

I'm taking a gamble on weather. I'm am tired of lugging big(ish) pots around and no longer have room for them inside. It was killing me getting them in and out, up and down steps. Our last day of frost averages mid-April. These girls went outside permanently the last day of March. Because I don't want them to "flip" yet, I set up a makeshift GLR thingie for them (don't laugh). It is nothing more than a pair of ancient 24" T-12s hanging by yo-yo's from an old coat rack made of galvanized pipe. I think I'll need it for about a month. By then I hope days will be long enough to keep them in veg. Of course we have thunderstorms forecast for tonight, but I think I have a solution. We have a couple of large shade umbrellas. As long as the winds don't get too crazy, I'll cover them. The cover isn't for the plants so much as it is to keep the electrical dry. Note to duggan: Don't look. Definitely not up to code, but at least it is on a GFI circuit. ;) Everything is in the new sawdust/pumice soil mix. Trial by fire. Testing: one, two, three.

Pitbull is in the odd pot and Ace of Spades is the other bigger girl in front. I will likely leave them right about where they are by the pool. I'll be able to enjoy them over the summer and keep a close eye on them. The three in back are GT(+), Liberty Haze and GASS. They all go down the hill into the BIG in-ground pots.
Pool_Time.jpg

The three on the lower step are the other gals heading down below for summer fun. The tall one is GG#4. The other two are both Zamaldelica(+). One will make the cut. One wont'. It took for freekin' ever for them to start vegging again after I was able to sex them. They finally look to be back on track but they are way behind everyone else. The other three are more AoS and LH just hanging around to get a tan.
Teens7.jpg

The Pitbull and Ace of Spades have been getting some tough love. They were so root bound for so long, the roots are like a luffa. I scored them aggressively but it took a solid week before they began to hook up with the new soil. The soil was very moist, but the plants continued to wilt every day just like they were still in 1 gal pots. My solution was to water the soil around the old root ball - in a donut shape. The roots got enough to keep them from completely wilting, but they also started to get with the program and send out new roots to take advantage of the more distant moisture. Today is day three and they are doing OK w/o more water. Growth above ground stalled but I think they are putting energy into root development.
This is Pitbull just before its "donut watering". I'm glad that's over.
Thirsty21.jpg

That's it gang. I hope you finish your weekend strong and have a great week ahead of you. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom