Maine 4-Season Greenhouse Grow

Did you give the 25's top dresses and or teas?
no
She's a cutie! How about btu's or calories?
Approximately 16,000
I'm talking deer tic. My mistake. I'm hearing deer tics are spreading pretty far too. I got bit by a dog tic though. The bullseye got irritated as hell!
CDC, strangely, didn't have a map for the deer tick...even under "ticks that bite" heading. I had 2x deer ticks on my neck today and a deer tick attached on the backside of my arm...it is pretty fierce.

I'm on a preventative dose of meds now for a tic bite. We're in the hot zone here near Ipswich MA where I believe they're the worst.
I have been beating them off me here. I won't go outside in shorts. Do you have any idea how hard that is for a dude from Florida? I rarely wear pants in the spring or summer. Damn bastages are pissing me off!

Spray it on clothes? You find it effective? I've been living under a rock for a while. What product(s) do you use?
You can spray or soak clothes (for 2 hours and then hang dry)

Soaked clothes will generally hold the permethrin for up to 6x washings.

I get covered no matter what as I am constantly in tall grass and woods...I just am vigilant (and look like a detox patient as I am always scratching thinking it's a tick :rofl: )

I get covered no matter what as I am constantly in tall grass and woods...I just am vigilant (and look like a detox patient as I am always scratching thinking it's a tick :rofl: )
And I thought I was the only one. Have to make hay while the sun shines! Cheers

And I thought I was the only one. Have to make hay while the sun shines! Cheers
Making soil today I got 4x off my neck and another 4x off my clothes....I'll still take them over the caterpillar scourge we had last spring.;

Bad news bear: supposed to happen again this year. We are just starting to see the white tents. A blowtorch, or even a bbq lighter, works well to fry the little darlings

Bad news bear: supposed to happen again this year. We are just starting to see the white tents. A blowtorch, or even a bbq lighter, works well to fry the little darlings
I wish it were just the normal caterpillars population....I am referring to the massive, overwhelming scourge that is unstoppable....millions. I saw one tent yesterday on the apple tree and thought "cool"...that is natural and I let that roll. Last spring we saw the first signs of the scourge as black patches running the entire height of the oaks...I thought my vision was going (or my mind) until we realized a day or so later....one of my lessons learned last year....don't have all my plants in one spot, as I was constantly picking them off. They denuded hundreds of oaks in my immediate area first and then they went for the other trees....apparently they denuded over 800,000 acres of trees 50 years ago in Maine.

OMG, those caterpillars were almost biblical. That was a mess!! Every year has a different scurge, I guess. I know what'll help. Smoke a joint!!

Seems the bigger the operation, the more work involved. I'm in the scaling down mode, lol. I used to use a cement mixer to mix my own sheep feed. That was fun. Didn't have to do too much at a time, about 3 hundred pounds (one barrel). But, looks like your medium mix is working for you. Cheers

I used to use a cement mixer to mix my own sheep feed. But, looks like your medium mix is working for you
I got the mixer because I was going to build a cinder block foundation on the Cabin, but realized it was cheaper to have it poured so I went that route. I'm not sure how else I would mix the VC as it coming out of the boxes...it is dense and chunky..it would be an unbelievable amount of hand labor to chop it down...instead I just tumble it for about 2 minuets while I add in coir, perlite, and amendments. I mixed 140 gallons today in about an hour.

I dont know if we hit biblical but last 2 summers volumes were much much higher than typical. It was supposed to be a 3 year problem and yup this is 3rd year.

The black patches of the caterpillars especially on the oaks was well disgusting is a good word.

Hope its not as bad this year :eek:

Blew did your oaks come back at all or are they toast? Mine have about 1/3 to 1/2 of the leaves they had before.

I dont know if we hit biblical but last 2 summers volumes were much much higher than typical. It was supposed to be a 3 year problem and yup this is 3rd year.

The black patches of the caterpillars especially on the oaks was well disgusting is a good word.

Hope its not as bad this year :eek:
There were so many caterpillars crossing the road and getting squished that their guts created a hazardous stretch right in front of our house...cars were crashing like it was winter....DOT placed a blinking sign "hazardous conditions ahead"...in June...it was freakish.

Back
Top Bottom