Wat did you do yo that leaf......you PRUNED IT RIGHT!!!!
That other word is very bad!!
LOL! Correct! :rofl:

For those not following, Brother Duggan is accurately pointing out that you should NOT defoliate with the High Brix kit as those large fan leaves are critical for photosynthesis.

Defoliation is a practice I used when doing hydro and involves basically stripping most of the fans at days #21 & 45 of flower to open up more light to the lower buds.

I do NOT, and you should NOT, defoliate when doing high brix.

I do, however, "lollipop" the plants, which involves stripping the lower growth to increase air circulation under the canopy and force the plants to focus its energy on developing the upper bud sites.

I also "tuck" the upper leaves to open up light to the lower buds and, on occasion, will "prune" a select upper leaf, but it's not an actual defoliation.

Thanks for the correction! :thanks:

I pull colas away from each other to open up the center
I do this, too, and, the trellis netting helps. Very often I'll take a taller cola and bend it back under the netting to the next square over and/or tie the cola down directly to the netting. ;)

I've been preaching against defoliation for awhile now, even in hydro. I also lollipop but I pull colas away from each other to open up the center.

I guess I lucked in during my first grow. I used a screen to guide the colas into a 6" (15cm) grid. It's not much, but the best I am able to do with 32 colas in a 2' X 4' (60 X 120cm) tent. I really should do a grow with only two plants in the tent, rather than the four that has become a habit.

I love scrogs but they are a lot of work.
I agree 420%! :thumb:

This isn't really a SCROG, though, so it's really not much work! The trellis netting has something like 6" squares which are way to big to effectively do a SCROG. For a SCROG, I think you'd want something like 2" squares.

I spend almost no time "weaving" branches back under the netting and don't wait for it to get 75% full to flip.

The netting just helps spread out and support the larger colas. I do some heavy LST from the start to spread them out and then just let them grow naturally through the trellis netting. If I see one of the "squares" too packed, or another square empty, I'll just guide one of the other colas over to help fill out the horizontal space and open up some light.

I know it looks like a SCROG, but I swear, it's not a SCROG! :rofl:

I guess I lucked in during my first grow. I used a screen to guide the colas into a 6" (15cm) grid. It's not much, but the best I am able to do with 32 colas in a 2' X 4' (60 X 120cm) tent. I really should do a grow with only two plants in the tent, rather than the four that has become a habit.
My 2' x 4' is always overflowing with just two plants! Although, when I was doing the 2L SOG, I had 48 plants packed into the same tent! :rofl:

I grow 1 plant per fixture and 4x4 foot print. I tried scrog years ago, but it was a PITA, so I never again tried a screen and have been fussing with yoyos which IMO is more of a PITA to set up and reach over a sticky ass plant while trying to to touch any of it. I'm trying something different now. I lined my walls with clothlike trellis netting i found at the hydro store. The netting is stapled to the walls about the height of my light fixture and just hangs down till needed. When buds stack and begin to fall outward, the plan is to draw the netting into the center near the pot and make one big ass tomato cage out of my room, lol. I have no idea how it's going to play out, but I have the first attempt about a 10 days into bloom, so I'll have a better idea in a couple more weeks.

Netted walls.jpg

I made my screen adjustable. I can raise it about ten inches (25cm) above its initial position. That's not enough to provide support for the run away colas, so I use plant yoyos for them. I have some large tomato cages I can use for my next grow and see how that works out with two plants.

I grow 1 plant per fixture and 4x4 foot print. I tried scrog years ago, but it was a PITA, so I never again tried a screen and have been fussing with yoyos which IMO is more of a PITA to set up and reach over a sticky ass plant while trying to to touch any of it. I'm trying something different now. I lined my walls with clothlike trellis netting i found at the hydro store. The netting is stapled to the walls about the height of my light fixture and just hangs down till needed. When buds stack and begin to fall outward, the plan is to draw the netting into the center near the pot and make one big ass tomato cage out of my room, lol. I have no idea how it's going to play out, but I have the first attempt about a 10 days into bloom, so I'll have a better idea in a couple more weeks.

Netted walls.jpg
I made my screen adjustable. I can raise it about ten inches (25cm) above its initial position. That's not enough to provide support for the run away colas, so I use plant yoyos for them. I have some large tomato cages I can use for my next grow and see how that works out with two plants.

This is exactly how I use my netting! The horizontal trellis helps support the colas and minimizes the need for yo-yo's. There are clips on the corners of the netting that clip onto the four corner tent poles, so it's easily removable and adjustable up & down.

This pic shows the size of the netting in relation to the colas and you can see it's more for support than for SCROGing:

full

NOT QUITE YET!

It's a little early for this tent, but thought I'd post a quick pic from my other journal/grow as what is hopefully a prelude of things to come.

I call this picture of a Platinum Kush Breach (PKB), "Peek-A-Boo":

full

I'll get some pics up of this grow later today! ;)

Happy Harvests!

K

DAY #13 OF 12/12 - MASSIVE PIC DUMP!

Today will be day #13 of 12/12 for all plants except for the Platinum Cake I threw in last week to replace the Orient Express that turned out to be male.

I keep the moms & clones as Bonsais using salt-based nutes since the High Brix Kit really needs 1 gallon as the minimum size to keep a healthy colony of microbes, so the PCAKE is still getting "hooked up" with the 2nd run high brix soil and working to catch up to the rest of the pack, but is doing fine:

And, here are a bunch of tent & cola shots. Those really thick stalks are the Bubba Hash plants! :morenutes:

The original plants should be pretty much done with the stretch and really came in at a perfect height! I have about another 6"-12" I could raise the lights and, actually, would do it now if it weren't for the Platinum Cake needing to catch up first.

That being said, it's a nice full tent with good coverage from the light and I'm anxious to see how these girls start packing on the weight and trichomes.

We should start seeing some trichome development in the next 7-10 days, or so, and that's when the pics get really fun! :yahoo:

Happy Harvests!

K

Dam brother just got caught up again an dam those r looking great congrats. I cant wait till my new seedlings get to where ur at lol. Nice job stacking those colas an getting a nice canopy. They should reward u with some beautiful ass buds that's for sure.

Oh yea I almost forgot sorry to hear bout ur Male man that blows. It's always a bummer when u lose a big part of the grow an yield has to suffer slightly. Well hopefully u get enough buds to compensate 4 the loss somewhat with that new one u put in what was it again a platinum cake?

UPDATE IN LESS THAN 12 HOURS!

Apologies for not having an update today :sorry: but was out all day - and by "out" I mean either away, or passed out, depending on what time we're talking about! :laugh:

Actually, my parents had a grafted orange tree. Everything above the graft was dead and there was a bunch of growth coming from below the graft and they couldn't understand why their oranges didn't taste good! :rolleyes:

So, I loaded up my car with a brand new orange tree, compost, peat moss, fertilizer, rake, shovel, and some other items and dug out and replaced the old tree.

By the time I got back home, showered, and had a meal it was nap time! :yahoo:

And, by the time I got back up, it was lights-out time! :confused:

I'll get some updated pics in the morning when lights come back on.

Happy Harvests!

K

Back
Top Bottom