Gardenfaerie Outdoor Organic Summer 2014 Flux and LST in Ground

Well I just looked out the window & it's dreary & cloudy looking here. But the block is closed off already & the parked cars are leaving. The truck with the kid rides is here. I see the big grills in the middle of the street but no smoke yet. One good thing about your own block party; If it start's raining you just go upstairs as long as you're not one of the Block Association Organizers. (I know that's mean of me but they have canopies out there) plus I paid my $30...

Hey, I am already done with outside for this day and it is just turning 11:10am. Mark is dripping in sweat from trimming the hackberry and mesquite trees. Geez, these are supposed to be slow growing. Not in this yard. Goes to show, a little (a LOT actually) of compost and plants behave badly...or goodly, depending on how you view it.

Yes, that is climax for a Mesquite. They can live a long time, but don't generally put on more height, just top and branching. I did a ton of weeding in the back yard today. The front I had done, but the back I did myself. I had to take a pill for pain. Rhymes with bicodin. Anyway, I noticed how many trees are coming up from seed. Redbuds, about 15 in all stages of growth. Lots of Cassia and several Mesquite trees which I potted up for anyone who wants them. I was glad to see the Vinca major did not return with such vigor this year after I had it all pulled out last year.

I still have a whole flat of six packs with Echinacea to be planted which I grew from seed. I want one really giant stand out back by the fence.

Oy, my parrot Mika just walked onto me and demanded to be kissed and cuddled!
Going out to dinner in a few. Maybe Outback. Free bloomin onion today.

Your drawing from Michael Starks book seems to have trichomes and glandular hairs identified as exact opposite from standard 420 board usage.

Jorge Cervantes calls the mushroom shaped objects: trichomes.

I thought that was interesting! The book is from 1970, so it may be a mis-type or some error in ident. Clearly, a trichome is not a glandular hair, or is it? A lot of what I am finding are very old books, or papers so is it possible there was not a word for "trichome" back in 1970? I most like the line drawing for what it shows and how complex this plant is than I liked it for the key.

It is very big to take a nothing and make a something. We're in this house for almost 16 years so the gardens have been here and when I was in treatment with Interferon I lost all ability to do anything. The garden is the first thing to go. Virtually no gardening or weeding for three years of seasons. What-a-mess.

It is only now starting to look like a gardener lives here! When the front is finished I'll post some photos. I'm half doing it for me, and half doing the front for curb appeal in case we decide to just sell the place and hit the road.

Id take Alaska, Matanuska Valley gardening home of the matanuska thunderf%k! Herb.mmmm.;)
Yeah Gardenffaerie, takes about five years to go from lawn to established beds, longer for the big stuff as you know lol and not many volunteer to help ay? Starting my fith year here and just getting the front going now. Anyhow I like your lst'd plant, heck it all looks good. I too had a plant loaded on stems and sugar leaves, all that went into my RSO material last night. Love the bird cam too!

Welcome cajun and swim! The one big thing I learned from growing outdoors is that plants are better off being vegged under lights and slowly put out into the sun over time, like a week getting used to direct sun. Plants in my 30 degrees latitude never get more than 12/12 outside in summer. That said, the minute the plants went out in May, they started blooming within weeks.

That is one major lesson I learned.

Congratulations on your Echinacea.

My first year in transforming lawn took garden had been disappointing. Hundreds of seeds failed to germinate.
The plants put in the ground after raised as seedlings did well. Bare root transplants failed to thrive.

It's good to hear of your outdoor garden grow. :)

I just re-read this and was thinking why this would happen. It occurred to me that whoever used to live in the house probably used weed and feed or some type of pre-emergent in the soil. You are having residual problems. This is a big problem for people who use horse manure. They are fed hay, usually coastal Bermuda, which is usually hit a few times a season with Picloram, a toxic herbicide pre-emergent. It can literally go through the eating and digestion process in the animal and come out as a whole, active molecule which will still kill seeds in soil. When I learned this many years ago, it blew my mind.

Now cows who eat this have a better physio ability to put their food through multiple stomachs and extreme digestion including chewing their cud which is digested more than once. Picloram has a more difficult time residing in this condition, but there have been findings of low level Picloram in cow manure now, also. Less because they are generally fed slop. The whole thing is depressing.

A little update with photos. If you look in the photo which shows all the plants at once you can see the birdcam situated pointing to the plants in the ground. It is set to take one photo every day at the same time. I'll check it today to see how it did. I can set it to take more than one per day, or just take one video, or leave it on auto and whenever anything moves it would take a photo, even at night with a flash. We love these two birdcams. Anyway, here are my plants. My Strawberry Blue seed germinated this morning. Awaiting one other seed, but if it fails, so be it. I'll flux this plant. Try, try again. These other fluxed plants are sort of on their own. They do have many colas, so I'm just worried about the degradation of THC on the trichs...but they are doing well, gooey and there are trichs even on the stems. And I mean a LOT of trichs on stems and sugar leaves. Photos don't do them justice. We shall see.

12111_-_Copy.jpg

1211111.jpg

12545.jpg

121121.jpg

12111111111.jpg

12111111112.jpg

12111111.jpg

And I found this line drawing which I found very interesting. It is in the book titled: "Marijuana Genetics, Processing and Potency" by Michael Starks. I'm not done reading it yet.

line_drawing.JPG

Any suggestions or comments welcome. Or just enjoy the photos.

This was post from July 4th, yea you had some serious early bloom/regrow issues.

you have any new pics so I can see if they decided to head back to flower, looks like from these they got pretty far into the flower then started reveg.

You may have to do some SERIOUS de-branching if that the case.

Here is a quick tip to avoid early flower, not fool proof at all. Unfortunately to late for you this year need to just 'ride it out' and use selective pruning.

If start the plant indoors, try and mimic the light cycle of early June in your area with light timer. Then move plant outside like lat May early June. Mimic the light cycle of the day you plan to keep plants outside permanently.

Last year I kept mine under 24/7, then moved them out mid may and they all flowered early then revegged. This year I did as above and not ONE went into early flower. but it not fool proof, my g/f did same thing and one of hers went full on flower and never revegged, I think it may have been unmarked auto though, was free seed.

Why would I need pruning? I am seeing trichome development and truth be told, the date is not the issue, it's the day length. I would have had to keep the plants under lights until mid-june to meet up with the timing to put them into later flower.

I have more plants started inside so I'm not going to freak out. I think if I get desperate, one of my buddies would provide me with medication, but it doesn't look that bad. The two LK in the containers are not as bad and have continued to veg even though they showed their sex early. I am thinking end of August and these are going to be finished. It is what it is.

If I start plants under CFL and end them under LED will that cause undue stress and potentially hermie a plant inside?

Why would I need pruning? I am seeing trichome development and truth be told, the date is not the issue, it's the day length. I would have had to keep the plants under lights until mid-june to meet up with the timing to put them into later flower.

If they go back into veg from flower,'re-grow', they get WAY to branchy and you wil lget alot of small airy buds instead of big colas.

Date is tied to day length when growing outdoors of course, and my idea about 'synching' indoor light schedule before putting them outside is just to minimize the difference the plant may see, the differences in light cycles are what trigger flowering. So the whole goal is to not have this trigger happen till late July early August so plants veg through the summer.

I have more plants started inside so I'm not going to freak out. I think if I get desperate, one of my buddies would provide me with medication, but it doesn't look that bad. The two LK in the containers are not as bad and have continued to veg even though they showed their sex early. I am thinking end of August and these are going to be finished. It is what it is.

You will get something out of it, it all a learning experience, photoperiod plants like these can be tricky, it not a simple 'switch'.

If I start plants under CFL and end them under LED will that cause undue stress and potentially hermie a plant inside?

Doubtful from just light change.

Back
Top Bottom