Graytail Goes LED - 810W Intelligent-Gro II w/ High Brix

I won't really know about bud density until I can get things back in order. For months, I've been suffering through one environmental issue after another. I can definitely say that trich density is higher under the Intelligent-Gro. I'll know better about bud density when these next three - Nexus, NepJam and Blue Blood - get into bloom. The Destroyer is still drying, so I'll get a feel from those buds soon, but I also grow sativas and sativa doms, so I don't get the hard nugs you get from indicas, anyway.

I think the cost/benefit ratios for LEDs has gotten to the point where a grower is really well-advised to have some LED in the mix. Grower after grower claims that LEDs produce better flowers. My 600 watt hps didn't produce trichs like this 540 watt LED panel does. And heat venting in my 4x4 is of no concern at all now. LEDs are simpler, better, and use less power. And I think it's also important to have 10+ bands of spectrum, like Intelligent-Gro. That's where a lot of the power and heat savings comes from, as well as the trich production.

Good morning from over here Graytail. I'm so sorry - I'm late with my congratulations. Lovely, lovely looking buds. (Just got to pop over to NOTM to register my secret vote). So happy for you after the ups and downs.

Very interesting what you say about LEDs. I imagine for new growers like me that they'll become the go-to first choice.

Have a good weekend.

Well, I chopped Destroyer today. There hasn't been any new growth for several days, and I had that photoperiod issue, so pffft, why wait any longer. :cheesygrinsmiley:

It was 143 days old, exactly 8 weeks from pistil set, 9.5 from the flip, and I could have taken it a few days ago at 9 weeks. That's a really attractive trait in a pure sativa, especially a trich-infested one that reeks of blueberry. :yahoo: This is perhaps the stickiest stuff I've handled so far, just covered in trichs everywhere. I didn't even do a very close trim job this time because the trichs went out to the tips of most sugar leaves - that was welcome, too. :cheesygrinsmiley: And the blueberry is pure blueberry. I've been wanting one, but I wanted a sativa. Who knew it would be a Destroyer pheno? Delicious! And the exhale reminds me of a fresh morning breeze off a lake - odd flavor, but that's what came to mind.

I also took brix readings, but wasn't able to come up with a reading within range. First I tested a lower budlet and it read over 30 twice. Bah. So I tried some leaf matter and still got 25/27. I took one last stab at it with a larger upper bud and it read off the scale at 35+ .. twice. So ... I dunno, whatever. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Got a buncha pics:

Destroyer - 143 days old - 66 days 12/12 - 56 since pistils - brix 25/32

DSCN6744.JPG

DSCN67543.JPG

DSCN67631.JPG

DSCN67622.JPG

DSCN67611.JPG

DSCN67642.JPG

DSCN6769.JPG

:Namaste:

Wow!!! just Wow!! I had to post these photos again for you :) Bravo Graytail!!! That is just beautiful! And a brix of 30! My hats of to you for sure! :welldone::thumb::tokin:

Destroyer is dried and jarred and yielded 42 grams, 1.48 ounces over 143 days = 0.192 grams/day. It isn't much of a yield but the stress does seem to have produced something interesting. :laughtwo:

I got tired of looking at Blue Blood suffering in the bad soil, so I repotted her into almost cooked soil over the weekend - just couldn't wait another week. :cheesygrinsmiley: I also have a Utopia clone I've been keeping alive in the same bad soil, so I repotted that one into a batch of used soil. The three young ones I potted into used stuff a couple weeks ago are doing great, and besides, the comparison will be interesting.

Here's what they looked like before:

DSCN6779.JPG

DSCN67871.JPG

So here's what I did: I have a nice strong serrated knife, and I used that to cut out a roughly 6 inch square of roots from the old pot, tapering a bit towards the bottom so the rootball comes out easier.

DSCN67801.JPG

DSCN6781.JPG

Even so, it didn't come out cleanly ...

DSCN6782.JPG

DSCN6783.JPG

Set it into the new soil and pack it in firmly ...

DSCN6784.JPG

DSCN67851.JPG

Same for Utopia Haze ...

DSCN67881.JPG

DSCN67891.JPG

DSCN67901.JPG

Here we are, three days later. They're obviously hurt and annoyed with me, but they weren't going to make it in the old soil. I'll keep you posted.

DSCN6791.JPG

DSCN6792.JPG

Tough love. Obviously the only thing to do. They'll be fine I'm guessing once they taste the good stuff. Good luck, Graytail.

Top of the day to ya Gray....what you did there....i like your style brother.It's not all about big fancy plants, that are perfect. We are all learning along the way here....Like Teddy said there.When they get a taste of the good stuff they'le be fine.Lookin some sad now though ,eh Gray:Namaste:

Did you give them a nice dusting of "roots" at the re-pot? Maybe a little Trans.? Spray w/ de-stress?Just wondering bro. This will be interesting to see if, and how fast they show healthy ,new, growth.Later...

I got into the Utopia Haze again tonight after a couple weeks of leaving it alone - been smoking Destroyer along with Carnival with some Green Love Potion for chillout time - and my goodness gracious, this stuff kicks ass and takes names! Whew!

:lot-o-toke:

As I said earlier, this is my first successful fluffy sativa, and it's really interesting herb. :cheesygrinsmiley: The bag appeal is skeptical - all leafy thin buds - but everything has trichs on it, and it smokes very mild and smooth, with an impressive early rush. But it creeps a bit more than most strains, and by the time you think you have a good buzz, it's still comin' on. Sneaky stuff. :straightface:

So, I'm kinda ripped and I wanted to point that out. :cheesygrinsmiley: Utopia Haze is the real deal. I've run it twice now with two different phenos, and they both have a very special high. It has the character of the legendary strains, it truly does. It's friendly and warm and stimulating and comforting. It's what being "high" on marijuana is, in a very pure authentic way. Its potency is at the high end of the range - I've had Carnival, SLH, and some Jamaican Dream that had more punch - but with this strain it's not the potency so much as the character. This one flows with me naturally. It opens more of the universe. This may be what people mean when they refer to the Brazilians as spiritual.

I like it. I like it a lot. :cheesygrinsmiley:

:blunt:

Tough love. Obviously the only thing to do. They'll be fine I'm guessing once they taste the good stuff. Good luck, Graytail.

We'll see. :cheesygrinsmiley: Blue Blood looked a lil' happier today ...

Congratulations on your harvest!

Thank you, KJC! :thanks:

Top of the day to ya Gray....what you did there....i like your style brother.It's not all about big fancy plants, that are perfect. We are all learning along the way here....Like Teddy said there.When they get a taste of the good stuff they'le be fine.Lookin some sad now though ,eh Gray:Namaste:

Did you give them a nice dusting of "roots" at the re-pot? Maybe a little Trans.? Spray w/ de-stress?Just wondering bro. This will be interesting to see if, and how fast they show healthy ,new, growth.Later...

Heheh, I was a bit of a loadie that day and even forgot to dust 'em with Roots! Grrr. They'll be ok, just woulda been better. I'm not going to mess with foliars for a few days, but they'll get some Trans next watering and then some De-Stress, if they look like the roots are hooking up.

The good news it that the three adolescents - Nexus, NepJam and Dest1 - are doing very well. They'll get some training and be ready to bloom in 10-14 days. I'll get some pics soon.

:thumb:

I forgot that there was also a time change a couple weeks ago. I may very well have screwed them up resetting the controller.

In any case, the issue is corrected now, and they shouldn't stall for very long. A grower lives and learns. :cheesygrinsmiley: As the frequently obnoxious saying goes ... "it's a teaching moment~"! :laughtwo:

Ahem ...

As it turns out, I didn't have the controller set to Custom, so they've been getting veg hours. I decided to check just now to be sure the lights were off, and nope, they were just dimming for evening ... :thedoubletake:

*sigh* Sorta explains things, huh!?

Ah well. I'll be sure everything is straightened out tomorrow.

Sheesh ... :laughtwo:

O man GT that sucks but glad u got it figured out. Its always the little things that get yeah once you get everything going and are comfortable. I can't tell you how many RC airplanes I have seen bite the dust right after someone got it all tweaked in and running perfect many of which were my own...

That utopa haze sounds amazing, glad your so happy with it! Burn one down for me :blunt:

Hello GrayTail,

I'm currently growing Green Love Potion. She is about 3 feet tall now, and smells like fresh mint mixed with some pungent smell.
She has only been flowering for a little over 3 weeks. CANT WAIT till she is DONE!!

Happy to check in and see that all these sativas worked out for ya :) Yeah, sometimes thes are not the most potent, but what they do to your head in a right dose and the setting is purely amazing. I also like the instant waking effect and no comedown :hookah:

Congratulations on your harvest and finding the oops.

Hello GrayTail,

I'm currently growing Green Love Potion. She is about 3 feet tall now, and smells like fresh mint mixed with some pungent smell.
She has only been flowering for a little over 3 weeks. CANT WAIT till she is DONE!!

Have you seen CareStaker's review and journal? He grew some absolutely gorgeous GLP! Mine caught mold during the summer and I had to chop it early, but it's still the most aromatic herb in my collection. :cheesygrinsmiley: It was looking f'n great until the mold.

DSCN51031.JPG

gt you might consider a career in cannabis seed marketing. I've been persuaded, by your descriptions, to purchase Carnival, Destroyer and now U haze.

My carnival be coming down soon. Psyched to compare notes.

Thanks for sharing your selectiones.

:cheesygrinsmiley: Thank you very much! It's nice to see someone try a strain on my recommendation. I also think everyone should try Ace Panama sometime - it's a fun plant to grow, with some great phenos. I'm eager to see what you think of your Carnival. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Happy to check in and see that all these sativas worked out for ya :) Yeah, sometimes thes are not the most potent, but what they do to your head in a right dose and the setting is purely amazing. I also like the instant waking effect and no comedown :hookah:

It's still startling me - happened again tonight. The wife and I agree that it rings some sort of bell from the old days. It feels like the old Columbian did. :cheesygrinsmiley: I'm SO pleased that this pheno has a similar high! It reminds me very much of RelaxedLester's collection of KC-45 phenos - a variety of habit, but similar high.

Congratulations on your harvest and finding the oops.

Heheh, yeah, thanks. It's actually kind of amusing to find oneself being an old dumbass. :straightface:

Hey there GT,
I can see why Smokey linked me to your journal, even though its so sativa it really is an amazing journal to be looking at, look at that trichome coverage, absolute drool material mate
Sativa or indica don't matter when you have girls as beautifuls as yours mate can see how you hold a lot of members respect! :)
Keep doing what your doing man, awesome work :thumb:

PS- That destroyer, WOW,:high-five:

Back
Top Bottom