Ok I have a slight problem….

My wife won a cruise from work and we are going to be gone for 6 days right smack dab in the middle of flower….

Any suggestions on how to either increase my reservoir size or ????

I was thinking of just plugging the overflow hole and watering the hell out of them. But I don’t want to drown the plants either.

The set up is 5 gal buckets with the GroBucket inserts.

Hopefully there is an easy solution:)

Ok I have a slight problem….

My wife won a cruise from work and we are going to be gone for 6 days right smack dab in the middle of flower….

Any suggestions on how to either increase my reservoir size or ????

I was thinking of just plugging the overflow hole and watering the hell out of them. But I don’t want to drown the plants either.

The set up is 5 gal buckets with the GroBucket inserts.

Hopefully there is an easy solution:)
You only have two plants so a simple pump, hose and a tee on a timer would work.

You could choose to have it running certain days like Tuesdays and Fridays and then for how long.

You only have two plants so a simple pump, hose and a tee on a timer would work.

You could choose to have it running certain days like Tuesdays and Fridays and then for how long.
Not a bad idea. It’s 3 plants but still.

Suggestions on a pump? And a timer that does daily like that? I’m sure a quick Amazon search will yield me a timer but maybe you have one in mind :)

Thanks for the advice!

In what stage are the plants?
how much does a grobucket hold in the res?
If they are in the super thirsty phase it might be insufficient but in general I can let my sips run empty and then the plants are still great for the next couple of days, all of the soil is saturated it takes ages before I see some droop from thirst. maybe put some plastic on the soil so there's little evaporation?

In what stage are the plants?
how much does a grobucket hold in the res?
If they are in the super thirsty phase it might be insufficient but in general I can let my sips run empty and then the plants are still great for the next couple of days, all of the soil is saturated it takes ages before I see some droop from thirst. maybe put some plastic on the soil so there's little evaporation?
They will be right in the middle of flower and at the rate they are already drinking I am concerned about just letting them ride it out.

I thought about running a top fed swick, I had to do that on my last grow and it worked great. But that was in mid veg and a traditional growing method. I am not sure that it would fly in this application, but maybe it would?

I like the option @Wastei threw out there as I can use that as a long term solution to making water once a week instead of daily. So that at the moment seems like a win win.

Here's my group currently. Red Pure CBD getting some nice colors! The other RPCBD might be a different pheno? Heights are 10", 13" and 20" for the Tropicanna Poison which I think is gonna be huge. These have been in the SIP for 2 weeks and total age only around 5 weeks.

20240222_091414.jpg

20240222_101707.jpg

Can you do gravity-fed with a bucket higher than the fill tubes? If so you might want to give @seaofgreen18's Blumat sensor-controlled watering system a look. He can explain it a lot better than I can, but it will automatically add water when the ceramic controller gets drier than your cutoff.
🙏 For the tag @InTheShed heres a link for all the info on Blumat self irrigation shoot them a email with any questions they are the experts!
Welcome | Sustainable Village

🙏 For the tag @InTheShed heres a link for all the info on Blumat self irrigation shoot them a email with any questions they are the experts!
Welcome | Sustainable Village
The carrots have a ceramic tip and water in them and as the soil Dries it pulls the water down too open the valve that pinches off tge water line and as the tension in the soil becomes greater as the carrot's waters it pushes the water back up inside the carrots to close the valve to shut off the water. I use a trash can set up a little higher than the lines so water weights 8 lbs per gallon i keep about 10 gallons of water in it at a time at the start that gives enough pressure to push water into the lines i don't use a constant water supply incase of a leak somewhere i work so if i don't catch it its ony 10 gallons or so instead of constantly running till I get home to find a big mess,i had a float on the barrel fir awhile and it worked good but i like to ph the water because my tap water is 8.0 ph hope this gives you some idea in how it works ✌️

They will be right in the middle of flower and at the rate they are already drinking I am concerned about just letting them ride it out.

I thought about running a top fed swick, I had to do that on my last grow and it worked great. But that was in mid veg and a traditional growing method. I am not sure that it would fly in this application, but maybe it would?

I like the option @Wastei threw out there as I can use that as a long term solution to making water once a week instead of daily. So that at the moment seems like a win win.
I might try watering them through the soil until the water starts to drain. I did this last round and I was also in the middle of flowering and they lasted a week I have 25 liter SIP buckets and I have a 5 liter tank and they lasted just fine 😉

I have typical 5-gallon buckets for my SIPs and I can top-feed my 2'x2' plants then leave them for about 9-10 days or more before they start showing drought conditions. I typically feed at the 3-4 day mark when the SIP is just low, but they can go for quite a while if you soak the soil and fill the SIP.

Good info @StoneOtter I have time to weigh options and I think whichever way I go that I’m going to make a larger reservoir for them to make feeding in general easier.

I like these grow bucket inserts but after using them I am seeing why some people make the port at the top so large…. Can more or less dump your water in :)

You could also get a large tote, a couple of bulkheads and a piece of tubing. Drill a hole in the bottom of the SIP bucket and the bottom of the tote. Put a bulkhead on each, then connect them with the tubing. You should be able to put 10+g of water in a large tote without going above the height of the SIP airhole. It will act as an additional reservoir, increasing the size of the SIP res.

BTW, I rarely feed from the top port of the grow bucket. I drill the air hole in the bucket a little larger and as far up as I can. My watering can spout fits in the air gap hole, so I add everything right from there.

Back
Top Bottom