420 Magazine Background

Sponsored Grow: KIND LED K5 XL1000 With Ace Seeds In Doc Bud's High Brix Soil

Doc Bud

420 Sponsor
There's "normal" hollow stems, and then there's autolysis.
Barring other factors, a hollow tube is stronger than a solid tube and so sometimes a very healthy plant will form hollow stems to support a heavy harvest.

However, a plant with poor roots, poor soil, or very low CO2 in the closet will get the "other" kind of hollow stems.

If everything else is on point and brix is up, simply make observations and over time and repeated patterns you'll figure out if it's the strain or not.

I do NOT get hollow stems unless I go back to those crazy Sativa's I was growing at one time or another; Willie Nelson, Colombian Gold, etc. Those had hollow stems. I also have C02 enrichment to 1200 ppm.

neikodog

Member of the Month: June 2018
Barring other factors, a hollow tube is stronger than a solid tube and so sometimes a very healthy plant will form hollow stems to support a heavy harvest.

However, a plant with poor roots, poor soil, or very low CO2 in the closet will get the "other" kind of hollow stems.

If everything else is on point and brix is up, simply make observations and over time and repeated patterns you'll figure out if it's the strain or not.

I do NOT get hollow stems unless I go back to those crazy Sativa's I was growing at one time or another; Willie Nelson, Colombian Gold, etc. Those had hollow stems. I also have C02 enrichment to 1200 ppm.
Thanks for the input Doc!

Mr. Krip

Grow Journalist
420 Staff
Ok, that makes sense too. Considering Calcium Carbonate is CaCO3 and makes up the cell wall structure it could still be calcium related. Your plants look great, I'm not trying to say anything negative, I'm just trying to nail down the cause of hollow stems.
Nothing negative perceived, Brother! :high-five:

Mr. Krip

Grow Journalist
420 Staff
Thanks for jumping in here Teddy! i knew this as well, but great to see someone else post that it's a natural thing...cheers.

I did not mean to indicate that this wasn't normal. Below is a post I made a few years ago on the subject and it points out some other reasons for hollow stems.

The hollow stems are normal and fairly common with MMJ. As I understand it, it's not necessarily a sign of good nute intake, though.

The area that's hollow is where the "pith" would normally be. The pith is the soft, spongy center in the middle of plant stalks where carbon is stored. When the pith starts to disappear, it's called "Pith Autolysis" and, while it does NOT indicate any real problems with the plant, I don't believe it's because of good nute intake.

What it does indicate is that the plant needed more carbon, so it started to feed on its own carbon reserves.

Some plants are genetically prone to have a hollow pith and other reasons can include plants that are grown in low light conditions, low CO2 conditions, and fast-growing/leggy plants can also be more prone.

So, for example, if the growroom is packed with plants, there may not be enough CO2 for all of them because they're all sucking it all out of the air. So, because there's not enough CO2, there's not enough carbon, and because there's not enough carbon, the plant will start feeding on it's own carbon reserves in the pith.

Low light conditions effect the plants ability to photosynthesize, so even if there's enough CO2, they won't be able to break it down, resulting in the same feeding on it's own carbon reserves.

It does not indicate any problems, per se, just a sign that the plant was feeding on its own carbon reserves.

I hope that helps!

:Namaste:

EDIT: I should add that flowering plants use lots of carbon to help form those buds, so its also much more common in flowering plants! ;)
In my specific case, because I pull fresh air into a packed veg tent, then pull the air from the veg tent into the flower tent, I'm thinking it's possibly a lack of CO2, especially since Brother Neiko hasn't seen the hollow stems with the Bubbas, so it's likely not prone to the strain and it wasn't low light conditions with the sunburn on those colas. :D

Old Salt

Member of the Month: Apr 2019
My last grow was four CKS Crown Royales.

At harvest I didn't check the stems.
The two plants directly under the light had hollow main branches.
The two plants to either side of these did not have hollow main branches.
I didn't check the secondary branches, or shoots.
The plants were fed identically. All plants had 10-20% run off when fed twice per day.
The two plants directly under the light produced 60% more than those to either side.

My hypothesis is that the plants should have been fed more often. The more intense light the plants in the center received allowed them to produce more. To get the nutrients required they cannibalized at least the cores of the main branches.

I've decommisioned the light used for that grow in favor of a DIY COB that lights the canopy more evenly. Under the new light, I'm feeding three times per day while still in veg. There are two plants of different strains in the tent so I won't be able to do a comparison this grow. The next time I grow a tent of four Crown Royale, I'll try and remember this, and report back.

Edit: I should have mentioned the grow was coco/perlite substrate using General Hydroponics' Flora Trio and Supplements as a drain-to-waste system. (Sorry Doc :3:)

Last edited:

Amy Gardner

Member of the Month: March 2018 - Photo of the Month: April, Dec 2018, Apr 2019

Mr. Krip

Grow Journalist
420 Staff
ORIENT EXPRESS HARVEST PICS

After 76 days of 12/12, I took down the Orient Express this morning and have a clear tent (needing some cleaning!) for the next round to start soon! :yahoo:

Here's the pile of untrimmed colas:

Some of them were monsters! :meatballs:

Here's the pile after the initial trim prior to washing:

And, hanging in the tent drip-drying after the wash:

It looks like more than it is and where normally I'd say it's a least 5 oz, and maybe even 6, I'm estimating only about 3-4 oz. of the Orient Express and another ounce, or so, of Bubba Hash! :11:

Yeah, that's right...It appears I missed a pretty large cola of the Bubba Hash when I harvested that last week! :rolleyes:

It was really a nice surprise cuz' through most of the triming I had that old Guess Who song going through my head. You know..."No Sugar Tonight In My Coffee, No Sugar Tonight In My Tea!" :55:

I was trimming off sugar leaves from the OE that just had no sugar on them. Then, I picked up a cola and could tell just by the weight it was something different!

This is the larger of two BBH colas I missed:

You can see the difference between the BBH and Orient Express (BBH is on right):

Here's one of the larger OE colas hanging after wash:

And here's the large BBH cola:

Thanks everyone for hanging with me through this grow! :thanks:

I'll post some pics of the finished buds, final yields, and a closing review of the lights, strain, and soil mix over the next few weeks.

Happy Harvests!

K

Mr. Krip

Grow Journalist
420 Staff
Congrats on another one Krip....:high-five:
Like the looks of the BH cola...the OE, not so much.
Thanks, Brother! :thanks:

I agree 420%! I'm sure there are good examples of OE out there but the strain turned out to be a big "dud" for me, unless I'm really blown away by the smoke. The first one turned out male (from a FEM seed!) and the second just didn't develop much for trichomes. There are some visible, but not much and, like I said, even the "sugar leaves" were really lacking the sugar. :rolleyes:

dr.h00k

Member of the Month: July 2017 - Nug of the Month: Nov 2017, Dec 2018 - Creme de la Creme Photos: Nov 2016
...Yeah that OE I did a couple years ago, I let go for over 13 weeks if I recall...know it was November when she was chopped...did get some frost...but not crazy amounts...trimming was a bitch too...smoke was prolly just OK, cause I can't remember it being noteworthy...anyways...get the tent cleaned and filler' up...cheerz... :high-five:...h00k...:hookah:...

Top Bottom