Golden Tiger - In Hydro By Gwhunran 2023

Nutri film technique.

Nutrient is dribbled onto a slightly inclined table and collected at the other end and recycled. Plants are grown in Rockwell cubes inserted into table very much like yours. 🙂
I think @LKABudMan vegetable grow system is the same principle too.
1690836455589.png

That's looks like NFT. A very adaptable system; can be a little difficult to get the roots going, but once it's going the growth rate is awesome.
For some reason it seems to have lost popularity.
🙂
Yeah, reading through LKA's Garden Journal, he had plenty of roots, I think too many roots was the only reason the greens had to be harvested and new plants installed, too much root mass blocking the flow.

I don't know why the loss of popularity. I didn't realize my flood and drain style was not used much any more, it's simple and works well for me.

Golden Tiger
Day 11 since flip.

The grow area is running normally.

The plants are looking good. No obvious signs of trouble. Still gathering energy for the growth burst.

The Blueberry next door got a fresh CO2 bucket so the GT should get a few molecules. :cheesygrinsmiley:

GT Day 11 flower (2).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 11 flower.

GT Day 11 flower (4).JPG

GT Day 11 flower (3).JPG

GT Day 11 flower (1).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 11 flower. Front plant.

Golden Tiger
Day 12 since flip.

The plants are looking good. Just doing a little adjusting on some limbs today. Trying to get them headed in the direction I want them to go when they cross the screen.

The reservoir is two weeks old today. I would usually already have changed it, but they haven't been drinking enough to make a dent in the nutes IMO, and it still smells fresh. I use a lot of aeration which helps and the AC keeping things from getting hot is critical too.

GT Day 12 flower (2).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 12 since flip.

GT Day 12 flower (3).JPG

GT Day 12 flower (4).JPG

GT Day 12 flower (1).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 12 since flip. With flash.

Res 35w air pump2.jpg

Bubbling reservoir. This wasn't from today but it looks the same. :)

Golden Tiger
Day 12 since flip.

The plants are looking good. Just doing a little adjusting on some limbs today. Trying to get them headed in the direction I want them to go when they cross the screen.

The reservoir is two weeks old today. I would usually already have changed it, but they haven't been drinking enough to make a dent in the nutes IMO, and it still smells fresh. I use a lot of aeration which helps and the AC keeping things from getting hot is critical too.

GT Day 12 flower (2).JPG

GT Day 12 flower (3).JPG

GT Day 12 flower (4).JPG

GT Day 12 flower (1).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 12 since flip. With flash.

Res 35w air pump2.jpg

Bubbling reservoir. This wasn't from today but it looks the same. :)
Golden Tiger doesn’t like many nutrients. But they’re looking good.👍 CL🍀. :thumb: :cheesygrinsmiley:

Golden Tiger doesn’t like many nutrients. But they’re looking good.👍 CL🍀. :thumb: :cheesygrinsmiley:
I will increase with caution. I've already got some practice going from one level of recommended nutrients to the next level in bumps. Watching for a day or two between bumps. I don't mind the burnt tips, but that will be an indication to slow down or stop increases.

@gwhunran, as brother @CaptainLucky says, GT is a very sensitive plant and the increases must be very gradual and very little nitrogen. She doesn't like burnt tips at all. I can tell just looking at your grow room and your husbandry that you know very much what you are doing, but this is very unlike any of the modern genetics, despite being modern itself.
I'm growing some original haze outside and it absolutely hates nitrogen, perhaps even more so than the GT.

Looking very nicely dialled in my friend.🙂

@gwhunran, as brother @CaptainLucky says, GT is a very sensitive plant and the increases must be very gradual and very little nitrogen. She doesn't like burnt tips at all. I can tell just looking at your grow room and your husbandry that you know very much what you are doing, but this is very unlike any of the modern genetics, despite being modern itself.
I'm growing some original haze outside and it absolutely hates nitrogen, perhaps even more so than the GT.

Looking very nicely dialled in my friend.🙂
Thank you for the caution. :)
The three part liquid nutrients that I use are a bit misleading on their names.
Grow-green, is 2-1-6
Micro-blood, is 5-0-1, the most nitrogen of all but with the micronutrients
Bloom-pink, is 0-5-4, not much of a factor in the nitrogen question

CalMag+, is 2-0-0
I also use KoolBloom (0-10-10) during flower but it's not a factor in the nitrogen matter.

With these kind of NPK numbers, there's only two of them I can fudge much and that's the Micro and CalMag+
The manufacturers recommendations keep the Micro relatively high in each stage, so go lower on Micro and CalMag+ and see what happens.
I plan on duplicating the same reservoir next time, either tomorrow or the next day. I won't be increasing the PK much until it is flowering not just flipped.

Yeah, reading through LKA's Garden Journal, he had plenty of roots, I think too many roots was the only reason the greens had to be harvested and new plants installed, too much root mass blocking the flow.

I don't know why the loss of popularity. I didn't realize my flood and drain style was not used much any more, it's simple and works well for me.
Clogged drains and lack of root space are the main two reasons I think? There was a guy on another forum who built two massive mono tubes and that worked well. You can only run really small plants in commercial systems and they're better suited for plants with shorter veg and flower times.

Flood and drain is still very common but maybe not on this forum.? I think most oldschool hydro growers still do run flood and drain tables.

Cheers!

Clogged drains and lack of root space are the main two reasons I think? There was a guy on another forum who built two massive mono tubes and that worked well. You can only run really small plants in commercial systems and they're better suited for plants with shorter veg and flower times.

Flood and drain is still very common but maybe not on this forum.? I think most oldschool hydro growers still do run flood and drain tables.

Cheers!
There were a few things to learn with the flood and drain. After a few grows on the F&D using clay pebbles as media in the whole tray. PIA after the grow to clean up. I thought about using the pvc tray cover and using no media in the tray. Clay pebbles in the 6"net pots only. So most of the roots are lying in wet air in the tray for 1.75 hours of every 2 hours during lights on. I've done lots of grows this way now and love the results. No bugs, no disease in the flood and drain yet.
If you look at the tray covers when the plants are small, notice the maintenance access cut for a right handed person. I learned this after roots mostly clogged the inflow/drain hose by following it down towards the pump. I reach in the hole every once in a while and ensure no roots are trying to cause a problem. :)

Plants are looking great. :thumb: I think you’ll see some big stretching happening over the next week if my soil grows are any indication.
I know what your saying and I agree. Now I go visit the grow a couple times a day and have the opportunity to adjust them and look them over real good. Once they start stretching hard, I'll be mostly just tying them down the best I can to keep them horizontal without a lot of contemplation. Now a lot of thinking, very little action. Soon not much thinking, lots of action. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Golden Tiger
Day 13 since flip.

The plants are still growing at normal rate, but it won't be long now.

GT Day 13 flower (2).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 13 since flip.

GT Day 13 flower (3).JPG

GT Day 13 flower (1).JPG

Golden Tiger
Day 14 since flip.

Reservoir change this morning. Duplicated the last reservoir. Added recommended amounts of GH three part liquid nutes for 17 gallons in Early Growth. Used my regular amount of CalMag+ instead of half measure. PHed 5.8-6.2,'

Did some more tying down of branches. See last pictures.

The plants are looking good, no signs of trouble.

GT Day flower  (2).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 14 since flip.

GT Day flower  (3).JPG

GT Day flower  (5).JPG

GT Day flower  (6).JPG

GT Day flower  (1).JPG

Golden Tiger
Day 15 since flip.

The plants are looking good and I do believe they are now starting to stretch :) or the roots have just now grown big enough to kick off a growth spurt.:hmmmm: The tying down is growing exponentially as more and more limbs are showing up through the screen.:oops:

No negative indications from the increase in CalMag+ (2-0-0), in yesterday's fresh reservoir.

GT Day 15 flower (1).JPG

Blueberry, Day six flower.

GT Day 15 flower (2).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 15 since flip.

GT Day 15 flower (3).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 15 since flip.

GT Day 15 flower (4).JPG

Golden Tiger, Day 15 since flip. with flash

I'm curious about something. In both this grow and the Blueberry grow the front plant is larger.
Is there something about your setup that's different there compared to the back and sides other than the door to the tent?

I'm curious about something. In both this grow and the Blueberry grow the front plant is larger.
Is there something about your setup that's different there compared to the back and sides other than the door to the tent?
I don't think so. :hmmmm: The back three will get more light as there's no reflection from the front. When I place them in the tray, I try to match the opposites.
In the case of the Blueberry, they all started out almost the same, and front one got more leggy.
In the case of the Golden Tiger, the ones on each side looked alike going in, and the front one was bigger by a little from the get go. I think it was the first of the three seeds to sprout too. :)

The Fuel D.OG hydro front plant was swallowed by the other three.😮

Back
Top Bottom