Icemud's Breeding Projects And Motherchucking Pollination Extravaganza

Yeah, odd how we get all casual and lazy about some of the basics, right? :cheesygrinsmiley:

I had a similar problem on my last couple grows. They'd get dry and scraggly, even though the buds were great. I think mine was a ph shift in the soil - salts n stuff building up.

But I had lousy upper canopy circulation too, and I wasn't very good about timing the waterings, and I couldn't control humidity ... etc.

Buds kept turning out great though, so ... *shrug*

:bongrip:
Good to know I'm not the only one :) lol

Yea I definitely have gotten much lazier/careless with my grows and I think a lot of it is that I have way too many strains to make them all happy all the time, so I kind of "average" my waterings which I think is part of my issue. As some strains suck up the water, some don't which I think leads to overwatering and ph swings and such... I guess overall its a good "test" of new genetics to see which ones can handle stress and which can't... lol. (at least thats my good sounding excuse) lol

Same here as I have no "environmental control" as my place doesn't have AC or room for a humidifier so really I am at liberty of the outdoor temps and humidity, which for most of the year is actually perfect, but right around october-march the winds come off the desert here quite often and brings that humidity down to 0-10% which just destroys the plants ability to grow, and I've even had a couple harvests go from wet to powder overnight with that low of humidity...

I guess thats the fun of being "mother nature" indoors as we get to be as active as we want, or just let the plants kind of do their thing, which I definitely am guilty of :) lol I still remember back to my very 1st grows here where I was using PPM meters, checking runoff ph and ppm, constantly pruning the plants and all, and the effort definitely turned out some amazing grows, but I've definitely gotten much lazier about it. LOL.

I do think I need to clean my pots between grows as I have a feeling that may be "spreading" whatever is killing my plants... but who knows...LOL. I still have fun with it.... maybe I need to do a flower run soon and that will change my perspective quite a bit :) I also need to reduce the amount of strains I have, so I think after this 88G13HP run I will be doing just that :) as well as popping some of my own creations since I really haven't even done that yet except for my GDP/Deep chunk which was amazing.

Well graytail, cheers to being laid back growers :) I wouldn't have it any other way right now :) lol Have a great day!

Well Quick update on the Alien Antifreeze project. All is said and done as I pulled all the plants down to dry as of mid last week. I will start the deseeding process slowly over the next week or 2 as I'm not in a huge rush as the next project is still vegging and needs some time.

I also did a lot of thinking about my "dying plant" issue and I really think it might be a case of Fusarium rot or similar type fungus. Its been known to live in soil for many years and really can't be killed other than by heat or by sun or strong fungicides.

Since I've been re-using pots without cleaning them as well as the soil bin that i"ve been using hasn't been cleaned in, well ever since i bought it probably 7 years ago, there is a VERY good chance that either fusarium or vercillium fungus is present in the soil or the pots, which due to my sometimes overwatering, may very well be going rampant. This would explain why 1 plant will start to look crappy but then surrounding plants and then the entire grow wills start to show signs.

So I think I will be starting to wash my pots now after every grow in a bleach water solution, as well as after I completely empty my soil bin i think I need to clean it as well. I also really should switch back to Pro MIx soil since I had much better grows in it, vs this pre-mixed foxfarm stuff that seems to just hold on to water too much.

Anyhow hope everyone has a great week and stays healthy and safe in this crazy world!

Hey my old friend :passitleft:
Reset and crush it...
The one and only!! Whats up old buddy! really glad to see you around again!

Absolutely gonna crush these next grows I have a feeling :)

You got a journal going here?

Happy to see you back!!!

Hey everyone! Well its been a while since I posted so I figured I might as well touch base and share the results of my Alien Antifreeze project. Although all of the plants were ugly and many really were not looking good towards harvest, I managed to still get a decent seed yield. A lot of premature seeds, but each cross at least gave me 50-200 mature seeds as well so I will have plenty to work with in the future.

Here is the total harvest from the project!

Other than that, the 88G13 project is in mid veg and starting to look really good. They still need to veg longer as they are growing extremely slow and I need to clone them before getting them ready for flowering so it will be a while before they get flowered. I also will be reducing my garden by a few strains as I just have way too many on hand and really only need to keep my absolute favorites so I will be deciding what stays and what goes....

Well other than that, just trying to work a lot to play financial catch up from being off work for a long time, and watching the world crumble around everyone as things are just getting worse on all directions (Not my personal life) but the world in general.... Well keep positive everyone and seek that that makes you happy!

Best regards and peace and love to all!

Hey everyone! Well its been a while since I posted so I figured I might as well touch base and share the results of my Alien Antifreeze project. Although all of the plants were ugly and many really were not looking good towards harvest, I managed to still get a decent seed yield. A lot of premature seeds, but each cross at least gave me 50-200 mature seeds as well so I will have plenty to work with in the future.

Here is the total harvest from the project!

Other than that, the 88G13 project is in mid veg and starting to look really good. They still need to veg longer as they are growing extremely slow and I need to clone them before getting them ready for flowering so it will be a while before they get flowered. I also will be reducing my garden by a few strains as I just have way too many on hand and really only need to keep my absolute favorites so I will be deciding what stays and what goes....

Well other than that, just trying to work a lot to play financial catch up from being off work for a long time, and watching the world crumble around everyone as things are just getting worse on all directions (Not my personal life) but the world in general.... Well keep positive everyone and seek that that makes you happy!

Best regards and peace and love to all!
You have seeds for days 😂

Whats up Icemudd. Good to see you still doing your thing and hopefully putting the finger on whatever is giving your plants problems. I had that happen to me about 2 years back...never did figure out what the exact problem was. And then had got a mite problem at around the same time so i just tossed everything and started over! Pots full of living soil that should have been re-ammended and re-used but I didnt want to take a chance on mites maybe hiding in the soil or some other unseen critter or plague for that matter. Lol! So i dumped everything! Soil, a few pots, my bin of soil and heavily disinfected my tents, remaining plastic pots, fans, ext. Whatever i could clean, got cleaned or thrown out. Then started back up with a fresh batch of living soil (basically Coot-style) with a few extra added goodies.
Seems to be the only sure way.
Anywho- you've run some crazy crosses and seed projects over the last handful of years so I for one would love to see you run some of your own gear. Ive been shut down due to the Summer heat for the last few months im about ready to start up again too. Its been a hot one here in Southern California and I know you're pretty close to me. So I totally understand about being at the mercy of ol' mother nature. I have an AC unit but shit id be running that thing 24/7 for at least a few months if I were to really pamper my girls. So i just usually let them do their thing.
Anyway, glad to see you back at old boy! I'll be watching! 😁👍

...hey Ice... :ciao: ...mostly because of geography and lifestyle, I prefer to run fems, and I only do one grow a year...so this year, besides the regular grow I did a reversal of an Ace Killer X A5, using STS...in the tent as well, was an Aces Bubba Hash, and Aces Gwaui...I was previously unsuccessful reversing, using CS, but this time it was a success!, and the seeds are viable, given a germ/seedling test...what a great feeling!:yahoo:...already stoked for next Spring to start another reversal/cross project...and progressing into doing some reg's...at 70 years old, I'll never grow out the seeds I have, let alone making more, but it's fun, and the possibilities are endless...

...between the stock market and greedflation, things are grim for a lot of folks...I can weather the storm, I think, but have had an adult child return to the nest, and a grandson to help out at times, things can be stressful, but you do what you have to for family...cheerz...:high-five:...h00k...:hookah:...

You have seeds for days 😂
I think I finally realized the same thing the other day when I was trying to close one of my "vegetable drawers" in my fridge that I put my seeds in, and it wasn't closing...LOL. It finally hit me that its time to stop making seeds for a while after this 88G13HP seed project and start running some of my own gear.

I've been blessed to have a few grow friends run some of my strains and report back to me with pics and smoke reports but its time that I also test my own genetics :)

Whats up Icemudd. Good to see you still doing your thing and hopefully putting the finger on whatever is giving your plants problems. I had that happen to me about 2 years back...never did figure out what the exact problem was. And then had got a mite problem at around the same time so i just tossed everything and started over! Pots full of living soil that should have been re-ammended and re-used but I didnt want to take a chance on mites maybe hiding in the soil or some other unseen critter or plague for that matter. Lol! So i dumped everything! Soil, a few pots, my bin of soil and heavily disinfected my tents, remaining plastic pots, fans, ext. Whatever i could clean, got cleaned or thrown out. Then started back up with a fresh batch of living soil (basically Coot-style) with a few extra added goodies.
Seems to be the only sure way.
Anywho- you've run some crazy crosses and seed projects over the last handful of years so I for one would love to see you run some of your own gear. Ive been shut down due to the Summer heat for the last few months im about ready to start up again too. Its been a hot one here in Southern California and I know you're pretty close to me. So I totally understand about being at the mercy of ol' mother nature. I have an AC unit but shit id be running that thing 24/7 for at least a few months if I were to really pamper my girls. So i just usually let them do their thing.
Anyway, glad to see you back at old boy! I'll be watching! 😁👍
Hey Sparks... odd that you swung by today, I was thinking about ya and not seen any posts from ya in a while, your ears must have been ringing... LOL. Glad to hear from you!

Yea I still haven't really figured out what was happening but a few feedings ago, a thought popped into my head that I should try watering without using R/O water and just use regular city/tap water every other feeding. My thought was if there was any fungus or bacteria in the soil, the high (pool smelling) chlorine and chloramines) in our water here would definitely kill it off as well as it would provide micronutrients and calcium to the grow... and I have to say.. My plants are looking really really good! even my troublemaker plants are looking epic right now so maybe it was lack of micronutrients, or maybe there was some kind of pathogen in the soil? who knows but I think I will keep the pattern of using R/O when I feed, and city water every other for now... (since I'm not doing organic/natural and using chem fertz right now).

Yea its been extremely hot the last few weeks and I'm glad that I was finished with my Alien project and the 88G13HP is still young in veg so I was able to excape the 90s' we were having a week or 2 ago. I've been running my plants from 9pm to 3:45pm to keep the temps down during those hotttest hours, as well as to avoid those extra high electricity bills during peak hours and it seems to do a decent job most days however a few of those days even in the morning I was seeing 90s in my tents... but the plants seemed to be fine.

I definitely will be running some of my own stuff starting after the 88G13HP project which will be the last seed project for a while. I had to squeek this last one out as I know those 88g13HP genetics are so rare and very sought after and I needed some nice indica in my life too :) lol.

I actually wanted to pop some 79xmas bud crosses to hopefully have some pine flavored weed by the holidays but I think it's a little late for that unless I start them now and flip them directly into flowering which could be a possibility :) I have so many crosses I want to explore so I'm definitely going to be popping some stuff in the near future as I hate going to the dispensaries for flower... so overpriced and underquality... plus hate having my name in their "databases" .

Well glad to see ya around and that all is well!

...hey Ice... :ciao: ...mostly because of geography and lifestyle, I prefer to run fems, and I only do one grow a year...so this year, besides the regular grow I did a reversal of an Ace Killer X A5, using STS...in the tent as well, was an Aces Bubba Hash, and Aces Gwaui...I was previously unsuccessful reversing, using CS, but this time it was a success!, and the seeds are viable, given a germ/seedling test...what a great feeling!:yahoo:...already stoked for next Spring to start another reversal/cross project...and progressing into doing some reg's...at 70 years old, I'll never grow out the seeds I have, let alone making more, but it's fun, and the possibilities are endless...

...between the stock market and greedflation, things are grim for a lot of folks...I can weather the storm, I think, but have had an adult child return to the nest, and a grandson to help out at times, things can be stressful, but you do what you have to for family...cheerz...:high-five:...h00k...:hookah:...
Uh oh... the addiction to making seeds is very very real... LOL. really happy to hear that you had success with your 1st try with STS and femming them. My 1st try I had success but then the following attempts with reversing I didn't have such good luck but I think it was because I may have been using clones that "could" have been from feminized stock and maybe that was the cause why I couldn't get pollen.

Really stoked to hear that you are making your own! next thing you know you will have so many seeds that you will be looking for places to store them in your fridge... LOL.

I agree the possibilities are endless. I think of it like art in a way... so many combos of flavors, terps, bud structures, plant sizes...etc... and each one is a spin of the genetic wheel so you never really know what you are going to get :) I've been really surprised at what my test growers are reporting with some of the crosses and some traits that weren't expected...

Right now a buddy of mine is running my Chocolate Cake (Birthday Cake x Chocolate Thai) and they are the most crazy looking plants and he said they are stronger smelling than any of the other genetics in his garden (outdoor) and they are 3 weeks ahead of all of the other genetics in terms of flowering time.... super excited to hear how they turn out :)

Yea the world, especially the financial world is really screwed right now and I don't see it getting better anytime soon. I almost had to do the same and possibly bunk with the parents but luckilly landed a job with a defense contractor for decent pay so now I'm playing catch up from 2 years of being unemployed. I never really "invested" before so about 1 year ago I started a Robinhood account and have been working on building a very diversified dividend portfolio and I'm up to about 60 companies, in all sectors (all dividend stocks) and have dumped a decent amount into it, however unfortunately right now im down about 13%... but since I'm playing the long game I'm not too worried since historically the market always seems to recover... I've stopped contributing though as I don't think we are at the bottom yet and I'm preparing to buy at the bottom when I feel its about to switch back over, but I think it will be a good year or 2 until we really see things turning around... (hopefully they don't get worse).

I'm really happy to hear you are making your own seeds!!! its so much fun!

Hey everyone!

So just a very quick photo update. These are the 88G13HP (88 G13 x Hashplant) which I believe originated from NDNguy and I got them from Hazeman. From my understanding from different areas and growers groups online these are heavily sought after and fairly rare genetics and I am extremely happy to have them. I've been wanting to pop these and do a seed project for such a long time with these seeds and now that time has come.

I had a very hard time germinating these beans from these, and I think it was because normally I use more organic and plain soil however when germinating these, I got all of them to crack and pop a taproot in water, but once I put them in soil I wasn't haveing very good luck with them actually sprouting and I believe it was because the soil I was using was much hotter and was burning the taproots.

With that being said, I still manage to get 4 to pop about 2 months ago so you will see them in the photos, and I had 1 seed left which I just recently popped about a week or 2 ago so it has a long way to go before its ready to be in the project but I will try my best to include it (unless all the other plants get too large). I still have to take clones of all my mothers that I will be keeping (For now) which I will be doing probably this week or next week, and then the plants will need probably 2 weeks to recover from the cloning/topping at minimum before flowering, which will give it about a month to grow and get large enough to flower with the others.

Other than that, not much else to report on as of now.

Here are the photos of the G13HP. ( in the left row, middle, that is my GDP, all the rest of the photos are 88g13HP)

Everything seems to be on point here in your garden Icemudd. All of the G13 Hashplants look very similar at this stage in their lives. Im sure the real differences will show when flowered out. Can't wait to see how they turn out.
That GDP looks like it may be a clone, is it? And its leaves are surprisingly narrow for what I would expect from an indica dominant GDPurp. I cant recall if ive seen you grow this out yet but for some reason I think you've had this cut for around for some time now. What kind of soil do you use? Bag soil? Or mixing your own?
Anywho- thank for the update and for taking the time to share your grow with us. 😁👍

Everything seems to be on point here in your garden Icemudd. All of the G13 Hashplants look very similar at this stage in their lives. Im sure the real differences will show when flowered out. Can't wait to see how they turn out.
That GDP looks like it may be a clone, is it? And its leaves are surprisingly narrow for what I would expect from an indica dominant GDPurp. I cant recall if ive seen you grow this out yet but for some reason I think you've had this cut for around for some time now. What kind of soil do you use? Bag soil? Or mixing your own?
Anywho- thank for the update and for taking the time to share your grow with us. 😁👍
Yeah I'm pretty surprised how similar the G13HPS look right now. Definitely very similar in many ways. 1 of the 4 has different shaped leaves and structure is slightly different but the others are all very close. Smell on the stem rub also equally they all are very similar, very skunky/baby poo smelling right now.

The GDP I have had for quite some time. I picked it up at a prop 215 dispensary back before cali went full legal in 2016 and have been keeping it alive since. Yea it definitely is a thin bladed indica. I honestly hate growing it because it takes forever to veg, it seems to never be happy (wet soil/dry, high nutrients/low) frequent waterings long wet dry cycles, I can never get it to really thrive, but I absolutely LOVE those 2000 era "norcal purps" terps and this one definitely has it. I also do really like GDP's high so I've kept it around but I absolutely can't stand growing it as it never produces large, and has so many issues. I've thought about culling it numerous times, but its so rare now to find a GDP clone from back in the early 2000s I couldn't get rid of it yet.. I saw that Humboldt CSI is doing a GDP, grape ape and mendo purps project so if they sell regular seeds in the future I may pick up a pack of GDP and do a project with it so I can lock in those terps for future. But in all honesty I really can't stand growing it.. the plant never seems to want to grow and is always the shortest most frail plant out of all those I have... sometimes I wonder if I picked up a plant with some kind of viroid in it, as it shouldn't be normal to be such a pain in the arse... LOL.

As far as soil, right now since i've been doing seed projects I try to go with something extremely cheap but also very bland and not hot. I've used recipie 420, vitality, happy frog, ocean forest but generally go with whats on sale at the time. I try not to use ocean forest or happy frog when doing seeds because they just seem too hot for seedlings to really be happy, however with clones they are fine. The other day I picked up a bale of Promix and 1 bag of ocean forest since my next run will be a flower run, and I would prefer the promix for its sort of mild neutral blandness.

Yeah I'm pretty surprised how similar the G13HPS look right now. Definitely very similar in many ways. 1 of the 4 has different shaped leaves and structure is slightly different but the others are all very close. Smell on the stem rub also equally they all are very similar, very skunky/baby poo smelling right now.

The GDP I have had for quite some time. I picked it up at a prop 215 dispensary back before cali went full legal in 2016 and have been keeping it alive since. Yea it definitely is a thin bladed indica. I honestly hate growing it because it takes forever to veg, it seems to never be happy (wet soil/dry, high nutrients/low) frequent waterings long wet dry cycles, I can never get it to really thrive, but I absolutely LOVE those 2000 era "norcal purps" terps and this one definitely has it. I also do really like GDP's high so I've kept it around but I absolutely can't stand growing it as it never produces large, and has so many issues. I've thought about culling it numerous times, but its so rare now to find a GDP clone from back in the early 2000s I couldn't get rid of it yet.. I saw that Humboldt CSI is doing a GDP, grape ape and mendo purps project so if they sell regular seeds in the future I may pick up a pack of GDP and do a project with it so I can lock in those terps for future. But in all honesty I really can't stand growing it.. the plant never seems to want to grow and is always the shortest most frail plant out of all those I have... sometimes I wonder if I picked up a plant with some kind of viroid in it, as it shouldn't be normal to be such a pain in the arse... LOL.

As far as soil, right now since i've been doing seed projects I try to go with something extremely cheap but also very bland and not hot. I've used recipie 420, vitality, happy frog, ocean forest but generally go with whats on sale at the time. I try not to use ocean forest or happy frog when doing seeds because they just seem too hot for seedlings to really be happy, however with clones they are fine. The other day I picked up a bale of Promix and 1 bag of ocean forest since my next run will be a flower run, and I would prefer the promix for its sort of mild neutral blandness.
Yeah Promix has always been a go to for me. Especially for seedlings. Whether im using it straight or using to cut, or mix into a bag mix that may be too hot or not fluffy enough. Been using since way back when ol' Doc Bud use to do his Promix and Osmocote + journals...long before the Hibrix blend kit that he has now. Im sure you remember. Because I remember following some of your first journals here around the same time with those Avanded LED's. Then mixing the spectrums. I almost pulled the trigger and bought some of those after seeing yo uh r success with them. But ended up going with Marshydro, who was still going by Topledgrowlights back then, for the affordability.
Alright then Icemudd, enjoy your day bro. I fotta get back to work! Lol! 😁

Yeah Promix has always been a go to for me. Especially for seedlings. Whether im using it straight or using to cut, or mix into a bag mix that may be too hot or not fluffy enough. Been using since way back when ol' Doc Bud use to do his Promix and Osmocote + journals...long before the Hibrix blend kit that he has now. Im sure you remember. Because I remember following some of your first journals here around the same time with those Avanded LED's. Then mixing the spectrums. I almost pulled the trigger and bought some of those after seeing yo uh r success with them. But ended up going with Marshydro, who was still going by Topledgrowlights back then, for the affordability.
Alright then Icemudd, enjoy your day bro. I fotta get back to work! Lol! 😁
Yea I used Promix quite a bit because of the whole High Brix movement... I never used the infamous "kit" but kind of took the same concept to mineralize it and boost it with calciums and slow release phosphoruses... Always liked Promix a lot!

Yea I still have my Advanced panels but 1 of them broke where one of the channels doesn't work (driver or knob/switch) issue and a 2nd one the switch is very finicky and only works partially. Great chips in them but I have a feeling the drivers they used were subpar. I don't even think they are in business anymore as I looked for their website a while back and I couldn't find it... I pretty much just use the Bud Master ones that I got a while back... I think they might be out of business too.... all of those companies seemed to close after the quantum boards and lower wattage/high count leds came out with the samsung chips and such....

I would love to upgrade to some new, more efficient LED's as the ones I am using I think are around 1.6 mol/joule and most of the current LEDs are about 2.8mol/joule (almost double) the output for the same wattage... but I don't feel like dropping any coin on them.. .LOL... and definitely over doing sponsorships as the amount of work put in posting and taking photos and such really wasn't worth it if you added a dollar value to the time put in...

I've always been fascinated by lights.. I have no idea why but even as a kid I had a collection of flashlights and even in my teens blacklights/lavalamps and colored bulbs were always preferred over normal lighting.. .LOL. maybe it was the Pre-Psycadellic urge to seek those alternate worlds before being chemically introduced..LOL. maybe I"m just friggin weird.. LOL

Have a great day yourself Sparks!!!! Just got off work and about to kick up my feet and relax... Peace!

"... and I, I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference."

:slide:

Hey everyone!!! Wow this year is flying by. Almost Halloween already!!!

So here is a quick update of my 88G13HP open pollination and seed project. Today is the last day of veg and tonight will be the first 12 hour night for the girls. I wanted to wait until the youngest 88g13hp was larger but all of my other plants are getting too big and if I wait any longer I risk them getting rootbound or something else going on so I changed the timers to 12/12 and into flowering we go.

Of the 88G13HP, 3 of them are definitely male, 1 is definitely female and the young one I have no idea as its way to young to show sex. I'm hoping its another female as it would be nice to have 2, but I'm happy to have at least 1 so either way it goes I will be ok with it.

On a stem rub, the g13hp smells very skunky, sulfury and baby poo smelling, definitely going to really test my carbon filters capabilities I have a feeling. Very reminisent of the 80s/90s strains terpenes and I can't wait to see how it flowers out.

I will be hitting all of my other "mothers" with its pollen, and this will be the last run for a lot of my strains, other than a flower run before I cull a lot of my mothers. I have way too many strains and have to get rid of some. I already culled the Private Reserve OG so there is no clone to do a flower run with, only this last seed project which is fine with me.

Well not much else right now to report on, so here are a few pics of the 88G13HP

The 3 on the right side are the males (very similar in structure, height and internodes, the leaves are slightly different but close) you also can see the wimpy GDP in there barely making as stand.

Here is the female,

Here is the much much younger runt which had a little bit of genetics or leaf issues....

Back
Top Bottom