Random thought for consideration. So my grow area is cool now during the winter months. Putting a seedling mat under the res of a SIP will warm the water. It'll be interesting how that may relay into the soil or maybe water is all we need warmed? Cool possibilities!
Just to lob over a random thought too. When I used to be a keen trout fly fisherman, we were aware that if the water temperature got too warm then not enough oxygen would be carried in it and the fish would die, perhaps the same occurs for growing plants.
Still testing positive so not going down there to grow yet. Won't be long!
All the best for you to be feeling fully recovered very soon!

Just to lob over a random thought too. When I used to be a keen trout fly fisherman, we were aware that if the water temperature got too warm then not enough oxygen would be carried in it and the fish would die, perhaps the same occurs for growing plants.
Hmmm......
Alternately I would prefer to put down some kind of insulator (like those children's playroom rubber mats) and turn the heating pads off. And then let the lights heat the room. (Because the surface temperature is presently 76-78F, and I will need to add more lights soon. So, for all that, it would be great to turn off the heating mats for all but new seedlings.
I could even use the lids from the 5g buckets. Would that be enough insulation?
(@InTheShed , what do you think?)
Ahhh, recovered from Covid??
(I thought he said he was testing hot on a drug test???)

Random thought for consideration. So my grow area is cool now during the winter months. Putting a seedling mat under the res of a SIP will warm the water. It'll be interesting how that may relay into the soil or maybe water is all we need warmed? Cool possibilities!
I do something similar with my clone box. I use a couple of nested shoeboxes and put water in the bottom one and set them on a heat mat on a low setting. The water spreads the heat out a bit and provides a bit of a heat sink that smoothes out the on/off from the mat.

With the SIPs the water shouldn't last long enough in the reservoir to be an issue after the first few weeks.

My apologies for my absence, specifically to @Azimuth, thank you for picking up the direct questions, and to user @gazmufc , who asked them. My plants and I have both been ill, meaning my time and energy have suddenly been both limited and in high demand. Bad combo that one, not recommended.

I'll enter a separate report of my plant issues because they may be of some interest. They've resulted from non SIP-related user-error, but also, in my judgement, SIP-related salts-retention issues. All of it happening in flower when the pain caused is the greatest. I've taken the flushing actions and now must wait. Details to come in a fresh entry.

For the persons interested in my tub-style DIY build, Azimuth, as usual, has the details correct.

Before I discuss my own SIPs I'll mention that you are likely to be interested in @Emilya Green who also built out a fleet of tubs in a fashion similar to mine and is finding her way as capably as one could hope. OK, she's an actual professional, a reviewer for 420, but still, I dare say she's enjoying trying something new, applying her intellect and adding her adaptations as she sees fit. Her insights are very helpful for SIPpers. She's reviewing a 720W light over her new SIPs here and I believe this is where she starts building them in her ongoing(?) journal.

I welcome any necc. correction to the above.

I'll take some new pics (batt recharging) but until then refer you to some pictures I took at time of build here.

That little sticker on the side depicting watering seems to show an air gap between the water and the pebbles. If so, that would have the design element you want. :thumb:
Oh yeah about that.. sure there is a gap in the reservoir.. but that channel in the middle of the reservoir.. do you think water just treacles in there? then those slits must be absolutely micron sized tiny.. I kinda fully expect that middle channel to get level with the rest of the reservoir.. and then you have a bunch of clay pebbles which provide an oxygen rich environment and then comes the soil.
That's why I kinda want an airstone in there as I don't see why the plant wouldn't grow all the way through the clay pebbles to where the water is.

Sorry, Otter! You are like a 747 going over my head...
What meanest thou by these things??....
I got a couple of frowns from my comment earlier. I wondered if I said something wrong or offensive to someone. It was sympathy for us getting a little sick with covid. We're well on the road to recovery!

Hmmm, food for thought! My goal would be to stay in the zone where plants can be free to uptake what they need so not too warm.
My apologies for my absence, specifically to @Azimuth, thank you for picking up the direct questions, and to user @gazmufc , who asked them. My plants and I have both been ill, meaning my time and energy have suddenly been both limited and in high demand. Bad combo that one, not recommended.

I'll enter a separate report of my plant issues because they may be of some interest. They've resulted from non SIP-related user-error, but also, in my judgement, SIP-related salts-retention issues. All of it happening in flower when the pain caused is the greatest. I've taken the flushing actions and now must wait. Details to come in a fresh entry.

For the persons interested in my tub-style DIY build, Azimuth, as usual, has the details correct.

Before I discuss my own SIPs I'll mention that you are likely to be interested in @Emilya Green who also built out a fleet of tubs in a fashion similar to mine and is finding her way as capably as one could hope. OK, she's an actual professional, a reviewer for 420, but still, I dare say she's enjoying trying something new, applying her intellect and adding her adaptations as she sees fit. Her insights are very helpful for SIPpers. She's reviewing a 720W light over her new SIPs here and I believe this is where she starts building them in her ongoing(?) journal.

I welcome any necc. correction to the above.

I'll take some new pics (batt recharging) but until then refer you to some pictures I took at time of build here.
Feel better Dog!

Oh yeah about that.. sure there is a gap in the reservoir.. but that channel in the middle of the reservoir.. do you think water just treacles in there? then those slits must be absolutely micron sized tiny.. I kinda fully expect that middle channel to get level with the rest of the reservoir.. and then you have a bunch of clay pebbles which provide an oxygen rich environment and then comes the soil.
That's why I kinda want an airstone in there as I don't see why the plant wouldn't grow all the way through the clay pebbles to where the water is.
When you fill the reservoir through the fill tube, you bypass the soil. So water fills the reservoir but doesn't reach as high up as the soil except for that channel which will have your soil mix in it. That section will be saturated (be sure to pack that portion well to insure good wicking action). Or, alternatively, you can fill that channel with clay pebbles to keep the soil out of the water entirely. I've done it both ways and had good success with each.

The roots will populate that channel area regardless of what media you put in it but, because of the air gap, you will not get root rot nor will additional air be needed like with your air stone.

I know the idea goes against everything you have learned about watering and keeping the lower roots wet and thereby increasing your odds of root rot, but the magic of the air gap resolves that issue.

I'd say try it as recommended by the manufacturer and many of us here, sans air stone, but, if you feel compelled to use a stone, do post your observations here so we can all learn from your  mistake experiment. :laughtwo:

Aha.. so pack completely with soil so no hydroclay.. And pack that channel extra tight.. yes then I could see it maybe just moistening and not filling the channel with water.
It's just if I would use it like it is on the drawing, then I would expect that channel to be water & pebble filled and in that case I kinda would want a bubbly solution. And I actually don't think that would be a bad system.

I'm gonna experiment when I got it.. first fill up the reservoir and see what the water does, if it equally fills the channel or if there is a bit of seeping and surface tension going on.
I kinda like the idea of the double medium, but okay got it just soil and pack well and no worry :p

do you cover the top? as I've seen some wrap plastic over the top.. as I was also thinking a perlite or clay top layer to stop soil evaporation otherwise the top few inches of the can is gonna turn to dust.

@Fenderbender with a properly placed overflow hole, a gap between your planter-bed and the reservoir surface will happen, even without a false-floor design. I use the false-floor simply because it makes for a larger onboard reservoir.

I thought the illustrations and descriptions at these links could help your visualization. mebbe I'm off base, but perhaps this could help.

BTW, I really recommend all the projects on this guy's site, and I love the GH flora calculator when I use that stuff now and then. His auto burper and auto cloners work great too, but check out the SIP DIY(s) they helped me get it more clearly at the time.

Then he does a huge outdoor one here:

All of his stuff is time and stress-tested, and really helpful. It's not just stuff someone dreamt up, posted, and forget to tell you it's only 2 months old and has never seen a harvest. Check it out.

do you cover the top? as I've seen some wrap plastic over the top.. as I was also thinking a perlite or clay top layer to stop soil evaporation otherwise the top few inches of the can is gonna turn to dust.
I am glad to be here, but they don't seal their houses here, so I've got all sorts of unfriendlies inside the grow room (similar to a greenhouse.
Are there beneficial plants that repel insects (or attract beneficial insects, such as ladybugs and lacewing) that can be grown inside the grow room?
I was thinking about a carpet of alyssum, which would both smell good, and attract ladybugs. I don't know if it has time to grow in the upper layer of the SIP--or maybe some pots off to one side??
Does anyone have experience with this?
Or should I hit "Search"?
:nomo:

@Fenderbender with a properly placed overflow hole, a gap between your planter-bed and the reservoir surface will happen, even without a false-floor design. I use the false-floor simply because it makes for a larger onboard reservoir.

I thought the illustrations and descriptions at these links could help your visualization. mebbe I'm off base, but perhaps this could help.

BTW, I really recommend all the projects on this guy's site, and I love the GH flora calculator when I use that stuff now and then. His auto burper and auto cloners work great too, but check out the SIP DIY(s) they helped me get it more clearly at the time.

Then he does a huge outdoor one here:

All of his stuff is time and stress-tested, and really helpful. It's not just stuff someone dreamt up, posted, and forget to tell you it's only 2 months old and has never seen a harvest. Check it out.
Hey dog! I hope you and your garden green get well. 🙏
His designs look great, but... untreated wood for a planter box????
Is there a way to make a low-cost non-rotting version of this?
1668174614283.png

Or are those big totes really where it is at (and I have to see what I can find in plastic, that is similar)?

Catching up guys wanted to drop photos sorry I've been absent been hectic but getting back on track...happy to see everyone so happy and excited on this thread. I mean, everyone should be cause this does exciting things for our plants!

5 gl self feed pots update:

DAYS 38/39

DAY 86/DAY 36 FLOWER

I'm gonna experiment when I got it.. first fill up the reservoir and see what the water does, if it equally fills the channel or if there is a bit of seeping and surface tension going on.
The setup should be one general level of water separated by the divisions that keep the soil out. The pebbles work fine but I found I got water roots growing in them instead of the feeder roots found in the surrounding soil. But either works great.

Some do, some don't. I use leaf mold as a mulch layer and get roots growing up into it since I keep it moist with regular spritzings. The manufacturer of the original commercial SIP, The Earthbox, recommends a covering of either white or black plastic (depending on your environment) and Emilya is using something similar in her grows.

So, grower's choice.

Catching up guys wanted to drop photos sorry I've been absent been hectic but getting back on track...happy to see everyone so happy and excited on this thread. I mean, everyone should be cause this does exciting things for our plants!

5 gl self feed pots update:
Thanks, Krissi! Great photos. Nice to see you resurface, hope all is well.:green_heart:

Thanks, Krissi! Great photos. Nice to see you resurface, hope all is well.:green_heart:
Thank you Azi. You're kind to me, i appreciate that.

I'm like a dolphin, just have to come up every now and then and when I do I bounce high but when I'm low, I bounce way down there at the bottom of the sea lol hard climbing back on here and being present everywhere I want to be and have the time and attention to give to it.

I figured we would also, since I'm neglecting everything, do a side by side 1 week of growth in these pots.

So we have 1 week ago to the day here

20221104_082915.jpg

Followed by TODAY

20221111_093954.jpg

SIP SIP SIP SIP SIP SIP SIP SIP

Thank you Azi. You're kind to me, i appreciate that.
I'm like a dolphin, just have to come up every now and then and when I do I bounce high but when I'm low, I bounce way down there at the bottom of the sea lol hard climbing back on here and being present everywhere I want to be and have the time and attention to give to it.
I figured we would also, since I'm neglecting everything, do a side by side 1 week of growth in these pots.
So we have 1 week ago to the day here
Followed by TODAY
SIP SIP SIP SIP SIP SIP SIP SIP
:eek:

You may have been feeling low (I'm sorry to hear that :( ) but your plants are reaching for the heavens! One week? Incroyable!

:eek:

You may have been feeling low (I'm sorry to hear that :( ) but your plants are reaching for the heavens! One week? Incroyable!
To the day this was how I left them the day I tested positive for the Vid last week, Friday. They are doing phenomenal. The new @Cultiuana CT-720, the pots, the @Prescription Blend the @DYNOMYCO the added bone meal to my normal transfer mix, idk it all adds up to this kind of rapid growth apparently

Back
Top Bottom