Emmie's Berry D'licious 2019 True Living Organic: No AACT, SCROG, COB, SuperSoil Production Grow & Seed Run

Ms. M&M, 36 hour darkness report:
This is the exciting plant in the room. This one not only had the Andesite, but she also has @Vulx. This one was the runt going into bloom, but I think she will end up being one of the biggest producers in the room. The trichomes are clearly much more dense on this plant and they are also noticeably longer. If it all comes down to there being more trichome weight, this one is going to be the winner. Here is our 19 gram test bud.
DSCF7583.JPG
Annotation 2019-11-29 125124.png
Annotation 2019-11-29 125045.png
Annotation 2019-11-29 125019.png

Harvest, Red falls to the knife!
We hit the 48 hour mark and the general consensus around here was to pull Red and let the other TWO go on to the 72 hour point. That being agreed upon, we set to work dismantling Red. Four of us worked together to do a light trim and we found ourselves appalled at the amount of popcorn buds in the lower half of the canopy... Next time we are definitely running the Angelina reflectors in bloom and instead of constricting the buds in a corset, investing in a support screen! All in all, she did pretty well despite my bad decisions. There were 55 grams of the little stuff that will have to be set out on a screen to dry. Too much of the medium grade stuff was more airy than I would like to see, but the buds that were near the top are rock hard and very sticky.
By the way, this was the first time I tried the high tech cleanup method instead of wearing latex gloves. This girl was super sticky and by the time I was done and I had collected a good amount of finger hash, I went to the kitchen to clean up. First I put some vegetable oil on my hands and I rubbed that in and scraped the really stuck on spots as well as under my nails. Then the Dawn dish soap. It was like magic. It all came right off. I can use a bic lighter without sticking. I can type on my keyboard. I will never wear gloves to trim again!
So the numbers are pretty good but still leave room for some improvement. This one plant produced in addition to the small stuff, 547.3 grams of good hard bud. Using my formula, this should dry down to about 4.75 oz dry.
No pictures at this stage, we pretty much did that this morning. Tonight we are pooped, full of turkey and good smoke and once we finally get this all hung up we are calling it a night. I suspect that more harvesting will be happening tomorrow. We got a good start on it this evening.

Red's harvest is looking pretty good, I'm sure you're happy with that! Looking forward to seeing the improvements you touched on in your next journals, too.

Have to say, with M&M I'm shocked that there was such a dramatic difference adding Vulx that late in the game. The stuff continues to surprise even me.

Congrats on Red! She's sticky beautiful!
Thanks Otter... I have a correction to make too. I forgot to add in all of the test buds that we took from Red before harvest. This brings her total yield up to 668g or rough estimate, 5.3 oz dry. It is still not the 8 oz I was shooting for, but it was definitely respectable.
We are going to grab Tara next, sometime early afternoon.

Thanks Otter... I have a correction to make too. I forgot to add in all of the test buds that we took from Red before harvest. This brings her total yield up to 668g or rough estimate, 5.3 oz dry. It is still not the 8 oz I was shooting for, but it was definitely respectable.

Run Tara! Run!

Hi @Emilya ... Still my favorite journal!!!

Do we nominate Member of the Year here? Or is it chosen from the past 11 Monthly winners?

668g ... is that with branches on? ... like we see in the pic?

ttyl

Hi @Emilya ... Still my favorite journal!!!

Do we nominate Member of the Year here? Or is it chosen from the past 11 Monthly winners?

668g ... is that with branches on? ... like we see in the pic?

ttyl
Thanks SQL... I believe you nominate with a PM to Teddy just like the other monthly contests.
Yes, the 668g is as you see it hanging there, plus the small stuff that is laying out that you can't see in the pictures. When I figure my final dry weight, I take the total weight, minus 10% to account for the branches, then I divide that by 4 for the dry weight, and finally divide it by 28.34.

The Harvesting of Tara
Ms. J and I have been busy since around noon, but finally the entire harvest is in the drying tent, with the humidifier set to 70% and with the air filter fan set to come on for 10 minutes every hour to clear the smell. This should allow us to get the better part of a week in for the initial slow dry... and we will check on them daily.
Tara was the one with 3 pollinated branches. Here they are at 52.5 grams total, set aside to dry on their own to be able to claim the seeds someday soon.
DSCF7604.JPG

First the trichome shots. If you will recall, I was not overly impressed with her at the 36 hour point, but oh what an extra day provided! The trichomes are noticeably longer and many more have reached ripeness. Based on what I have seen here, the 72 hours in the dark really has made a significant difference.
Annotation 2019-11-30 162554.png
Annotation 2019-11-30 162503.png
Annotation 2019-11-30 162436.png

Tara also had the biggest bud in the room and here it is, weighing in at 33.1 grams all by itself. This will be going into my private stash.
DSCF7597.JPG

Tara provided 54 grams of popcorn buds, with a total of 716.3 grams. Plugging this into the formula gives us the leader of this round at 5.7 ounces dry.
DSCF7595.JPG

The moment of Truth, Harvest of M&M, our Vulx plant
First, the trichome shots. They are amazing. None of the plants in the room have achieved such trichomes as these, and the 72 hours in the dark have definitely made them thicker, longer and more mature. This right here is going to be the best smoke in the room. The buds even look darker than the rest of the crop. In handling the 3 plants as we harvested, M&M had significantly less popcorn bud than her sisters and the largest majority of the buds were rock hard and well developed. This can't be said about the other plants in the room. Weight wise, the plants have fallen in the order that one could have predicted coming out of veg... Tara was slightly bigger than Red and M&M was the runt. These numbers have followed them into harvest. M&M did ok for herself, and coming in last with a predicted dry weight of 4.32 ounces is perfectly respectable. Next time I am taking much more care to get light and air to the entire canopy and I am sure we can increase these numbers. Vulx may not have been enough to allow M&M to catch up with her sisters, but the quality of the buds overall is better and the plant overall seemed to be sturdier. She was simply behind coming out of the gate and never was able to totally catch up.
The numbers are: 27.8 grams of popcorn buds. 543.5 grams of wet bud.
Here are the trichomes. These are crazy. I would also guess that we are up near 5% amber as of the chop.

mm1.jpg
mm2.jpg
mm3.jpg

Here is a closeup of a couple of the buds as we were working with them:
DSCF7600.JPG
DSCF7599.JPG

And here is the drying room, now with just short of a pound of soon to be cured pot slow drying. I have also realized how handy the COB light array is for hanging product.

DSCF7603.JPG
DSCF7602.JPG

Thanks SQL... I believe you nominate with a PM to Teddy just like the other monthly contests.
Yes, the 668g is as you see it hanging there, plus the small stuff that is laying out that you can't see in the pictures. When I figure my final dry weight, I take the total weight, minus 10% to account for the branches, then I divide that by 4 for the dry weight, and finally divide it by 28.34.

I think nug, plant, and member of the year are chosen by our members from the winners of the 'xx of the Month' winners:
420 Magazine's Nug of the Year Contest 2018
420 Magazine's Plant of the Year Contest 2018
420 Magazine's Member of the Year Contest

also, photo and journal of the year are chosen by 420Magazine staff.
420 Magazine's Photo of the Year Contest
420 Magazine's Grow Journal of the Year Contest 2018

Highya Emmie,

Love your journal. Attention to detail is awesome. Love the methodical unfolding of your grow. And a very nice looking product in the jar! You did great! Cheers

I checked on the buds a while ago in the drying tent and was very pleased with what I found. Unlike many winter time harvests around here, the low humidity is not causing these buds to dry too fast. I recently bought a new humidifier to keep the RH steady in the drying area throughout the slow dry. The prices on this equipment has come way down these days and for $59 I was able to get a digital device that allows me to set the RH to where ever I need it, in 5% increments.
Right now I have my bloom tent set up to be the perfect slow drying, smell eradicating area. Using the power of one of the new smart Wyze plugs I have programmed the extraction filter fan to come on at the top of the hour for 10 minutes to bring fresh air in and clear out the smell. The humidifier maintains the humidity at my target goal of 70% RH. Maintaining a watchful eye on @Mark Gordan Smith, I am relieved to see that the first step to a great cure is going well.
:surf:

Learning as I go, I have found two things to be in error. First, temperature does matter in the drying room and when the temperature drops, so does the ability to dry. Also I have learned that maintaining an RH of 70% is not allowing much drying to happen either.
A little bit of research that I should have done before getting to this point revealed that the perfect temperature range for drying is 65-75°F and the perfect RH is 45-55%.
It seems that the 62° that I keep my basement and colder at night, is just a bit too low for drying pot. I have turned the tent heater back on and set it to 69°F and the RH has been adjusted to 50%. The little Vortex heater fan does a great job of disbursing the heat and humidity all around in the closed tent without creating too much of a breeze... I should have thought of it before.
:nomo:
+
:reading420magazine:
+
:nerd-with-glasses:
+
:420:
=
:idea:

Back
Top Bottom