Neikodog's High Brix Sativas

From what I saw on IG there were quite a few breeders that Phylos contacted trying to convince them to send in live samples of their most prized breeding stock. Always with the story that they were just trying to map samples. If they just wanted to map samples why did they need live samples? From the sounds of it these breeders were basically harassed by Phylos. To me it sounds pretty fishy that they wanted lives samples of the breeders best plants and did not want to take no for an answer.

I mean the best thing all the dudes who feel like they got fucked can do is in a very systematic and well thought out fashion publish all of the screenshots and documented correspondence. Even if it makes them look bad in some regards. Kind of like Bezos did when they just threatened to show his texts and dick pics, he said go for it and then published all their blackmailing emails.

There’s a guy on Instagram - sungrownmidz - who has been collecting everything he can from the breeders etc and is doing a podcast about all of the related topics around Phylos. Comes out tomorrow (I think) on Potent Ponics YouTube channel. I’ll keep my eye out for it.
Please do, I don’t fully understand the concern in it’s entirety yet but am interested to learn more. Based on the email I sort of interpreted it similar to a licensing deal with breeders get a cut of any of their genetics sold (which is typically a good deal), but then in this discussion it sounds like they’re trying to steal genetics and rebrand them as their own.

They’ve been breeding for the last 3 years using shell companies as they couldn’t do it themselves and still be federally legit as a biotech company.

I’m sure they’ve collected a lot of seeds and clones and cells to move farther, but you need to remember they wanna go way bigger and much more professional than traditional breeders.

Their objective is a first fully stabilised strain for the commercial market in US and Canada, which is gonna be a massive deal when US legalises federally. But this is still 3-4 yrs away at least while Canadian market can be exploited straight away.

Anyway from the timeline I saw they’re three yrs behind, so it’s going more slowly than expected. It’s gonna take them at least 2-3 yrs more to put a first strain on the market, cause there’s a lot of work involved here and it’s gonna take another decade before they have a line of strains, which can compete with other line-ups out there!

And GMO strains are out of the question seeing where cultivation is going and I mean it’s going toward sustainable, organic growing, cause that’s what consumer wants clean, tasty flower. They’d shoot their own foot by going this way now!

However when other countries fall in line especially EU and Asian countries there’ll be huge demand for concentrates and I can see genetic editing playing its part in growing large quantities of weed for THC extraction especially in China where they care much less about it.

All in all they’re doing the only logical thing from a business POV and that’s working on lowering the costs of production, cause when these seeds hit the market, cloning and tc will hit the dust being too expensive. It’s just gonna be like with every other crop, you buy a kg of seeds and you sow them in the field. You can’t go easier and cheaper than this!

Just got caught up with the conversation here. I don't know why I thought the little guy would be able to carve out a spot in the industry, wishful thinking I guess. I bet the samples being sent in to Phylos will drop dramatically now. I wasn't aware of all this happening, I just came across that video and thought, this doesn't sound good. I remember people being skeptical of sending in samples in the beginning but they were being called conspiracy theorists and this mapping was a good thing.

US is built on corporate model. I listen to a lot of people who’ve been on the scene for many decades and they’re all scared particularly in Cali where scale at substantial cost starts dominating the market and large distribution chains prefer to work with large farms effectively cutting out the old-timers. It’s gonna be a tough couple of years for all of them.

EU is still too far from legalisation to talk details, but your model will never be accepted here fortunately. But there will be other hurdles for sure when they start working on the regulations, cause we love these :)

I had to do some digging through the comments section on phylos page, but I wanted to share this one lady’s words because her comment has been stuck rattling around in my brain for the last week. I think she hit the nail on the head.

“Team Phylos, thank you for responding directly to my post. However I think you’ve still missed my main point - it’s that we, your trusting customers, bankrolled your database and the first years of your company, but many of us would not have participated had we known where you would take this. You made assurances that this wouldn’t be the outcome. People trusted those assurances. This is the part you need to apologize for.

I’m also deeply sad for the loss of what I hoped Phylos would become. My background is in livestock breeding, not cannabis. But the principals are the same. Genomic marker assisted breeding has been the norm for decades; what you are planning is old news to any purebred cattleman.

The Angus breed in particular has made so much progress using collaborative, marker-assisted breeding. The 50K DNA tests are cheap (<$30) and everyone submits their phenotype data and DNA tests to the breed association, where the computer crunches all the numbers. I think they have over a half a million cattle DNA profiles already - all submitted by thousands of farms who belong to the association. No one company could have accomplished this - it was everyone working together.

Phylos could have been that organization, for cannabis. You could have perfected that 50K chip, made it cheap like it is for livestock, and set up a program to harness the power of group breeding. It could have been amazing, game changing for the industry.
But now it’s too late. The only way my dream scenario could have happened was if you had stayed in your lane. The Angus breed association doesn’t compete against it’s own people. Because of that, breeders TRUST their association and they share their information. Sure you wish you’d chosen that route instead.”

Yep communal breeding took the bullet for sure here, but again with that kind of money on the table it was wishful thinking at best.

I had to do some digging through the comments section on phylos page, but I wanted to share this one lady’s words because her comment has been stuck rattling around in my brain for the last week. I think she hit the nail on the head.

“Team Phylos, thank you for responding directly to my post. However I think you’ve still missed my main point - it’s that we, your trusting customers, bankrolled your database and the first years of your company, but many of us would not have participated had we known where you would take this. You made assurances that this wouldn’t be the outcome. People trusted those assurances. This is the part you need to apologize for.

I’m also deeply sad for the loss of what I hoped Phylos would become. My background is in livestock breeding, not cannabis. But the principals are the same. Genomic marker assisted breeding has been the norm for decades; what you are planning is old news to any purebred cattleman.

The Angus breed in particular has made so much progress using collaborative, marker-assisted breeding. The 50K DNA tests are cheap (<$30) and everyone submits their phenotype data and DNA tests to the breed association, where the computer crunches all the numbers. I think they have over a half a million cattle DNA profiles already - all submitted by thousands of farms who belong to the association. No one company could have accomplished this - it was everyone working together.

Phylos could have been that organization, for cannabis. You could have perfected that 50K chip, made it cheap like it is for livestock, and set up a program to harness the power of group breeding. It could have been amazing, game changing for the industry.
But now it’s too late. The only way my dream scenario could have happened was if you had stayed in your lane. The Angus breed association doesn’t compete against it’s own people. Because of that, breeders TRUST their association and they share their information. Sure you wish you’d chosen that route instead.”

Thanks for posting that Conrad! It is a shame that all the little guys and medium guys have been doping all this work for decades and now big AG is going to step in and take over and they're going to bastardize (right word?) Cannabis. I need to get me some landrace seeds!

Sounds like an addict justifying a fix :laugh:.

You can get land races from ACE, CBG, Bohdi, Seeds of Africa, World of Seeds among others.

:rofl::rofl: no no no, I've only stockpiled 2 life times worth of seeds, at my current rate of growing which I will be stepping up, lots of the seeds I have will go to the back of the line, possibly never to be grown. I do have a couple A5 Killer Haze. I see MMS is doing some landrace seed preservation projects that look interesting. Are any of those breeders available in one place or preferably stateside? Any specific strain reccomendations? Thanks! Not in a rush, just gonna get a wish list going.

:passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom