Neikodog's High Brix Sativas

I'd like to try some real deal hill Billy moonshine sometime.

That Phylos guy was saying it's their intention to buy up a bunch of small time breeders and kept mentioning buyouts. Such BS that big business can do whatever they want but us losers can't grow a damn harmless plant in our house or backyard! Meh.

They sent an email a few weeks back after their announcement.

“To our community,

We announced our plant breeding program on Tuesday. Unfortunately, some people are accusing us of stealing or claiming ownership over plant samples that have been sent to us. We take this seriously and we want to share more clarity and context.

We’re starting a breeding program.
We started Phylos with a simple mission: to better understand cannabis. We always thought we’d get into plant breeding, but we thought we’d do it exclusively by bringing our science to breeding partners. After 5 years, we’ve learned a lot by analyzing the data from thousands of plants. But that data is not useful for breeding. The information on the Galaxy can’t be used to generate the genetic markers that power breeding programs.

The biggest thing we learned was that to have a real impact on the world we needed to launch our own in-house research program where we’ll grow thousands of plants, test them, generate data, and study that data to drive our breeding work. We have a team of data scientists and plant breeders that will drive an entirely new kind of breeding program, one that is founded on analysis we perform on our own plants, in house.

We would never steal your plants.
Not only is it impossible to recreate a plant from the dead samples you give us, but we also would never do it because it goes directly against our values and would destroy the trust the community has given us. We’re working with long-time Oregon breeders to negotiate fair licensing contracts for the seeds and clones that will serve as the foundation for our breeding program. We are not stealing anything to leverage our breeding work.

We're going to create outrageous new weed.
Alright, we hear you. This statement on social media was insensitive and lacked context. For that, we own the comments “made by sellouts for chads” and “lying ass buttholes” among some other really amazing ones. In all seriousness, we’re not going to compete directly with you. Our breeding work will be focused on difficult challenges like PM resistance. We’ll also be breeding hemp for industrial uses like hempcrete, bioplastics, and carbon sequestration. And we’ll also make some high-THC, high-terpene plants too—but those will be plants we’re committed to bringing back to the community. And we’ll let small farmers breed with them if they want to.

We're working on royalty-based in-licensing agreements with breeders.
We are in negotiations with a number of well-established breeders to distribute their best varieties under their brand as healthy, tissue culture clones through our nursery project, Conception. These breeders will get generous royalties for every plantlet sold. We’ll keep sharing details as we have them and we’re open to anyone who’s interested in working with us on this front.

We’re excited to share insights from the work we’re doing and will continue to funnel our learnings into tools for the cannabis community. We want to hear from you if you have any concerns. Email us, call us, DM us on Instagram, or stick pins in a Voodoo doll. We just want you to know we’re here for you first and foremost.

Sincerely,
All of us at Phylos”

I’m pretty sure that’s what is happening here already. There are “cannabinoid clinics” here already, some of which are Canadian businesses. But the only licensed providers charge amazing prices and only a tiny number of medical conditions qualify. So if you can find a Doc that is registered to approve you for it - you have to fill out masses of paperwork every time and pay big dollars. One I saw recently was over $600 for a 25ml bottle of 1:1 oil. MInd boggling.

:bravo:
:popcorn:
Yes,..Amy is most correct. The sister of mine i keep trying batches of oil with has gone thru the 'PROCESS' of obtaining legal, medical cbd oil. The price was way high she paid for a really weak mixture the size of a small eye dropper, bottle. Was around 100 i believe...:hmmmm:...oh , and it hasn't helped her at all. TBH , i believe we know more about wat to do with it , than they do....

@Growca2268 you should really go back a few posts and watch the entire clip that was posted of the Investors meeting

phylos has been Breeding Since 2016 actually if you look back at the pic I posted from their investors package.... released their first strain end of 2017... And the breeders doing work for them... eastfork cultivators I believe is one... plus SugarBuds facility in Alberta.... and some other country as well.

Mowgli (CEO) personally met with breeders/growers and convinced them he was trying to protect their rights in the face of legalization and the big AG take over of the industry. He claimed Phylos was for the breeders/growers and wanted to collect the data and Phylos would NEVER get into the breeding side of the business. All of these small growers purchased tests and sent them in and shared their data with Phylos, who has used their hard work and data to bank roll his business into a billion dollar business. If it was not for all the growers providing them with the data, Phylos would never have accomplished what they have done in terms of genetics. And now they are going to use those genetics to breed and compete directly against the very customers who got them there.

@Growca2268 you should really go back a few posts and watch the entire clip that was posted of the Investors meeting

phylos has been Breeding Since 2016 actually if you look back at the pic I posted from their investors package.... released their first strain end of 2017... And the breeders doing work for them... eastfork cultivators I believe is one... plus SugarBuds facility in Alberta.... and some other country as well.

Mowgli (CEO) personally met with breeders/growers and convinced them he was trying to protect their rights in the face of legalization and the big AG take over of the industry. He claimed Phylos was for the breeders/growers and wanted to collect the data and Phylos would NEVER get into the breeding side of the business. All of these small growers purchased tests and sent them in and shared their data with Phylos, who has used their hard work and data to bank roll his business into a billion dollar business. If it was not for all the growers providing them with the data, Phylos would never have accomplished what they have done in terms of genetics. And now they are going to use those genetics to breed and compete directly against the very customers who got them there.
Watching, standby.

That’s my point...

“We have a genome sequencing array from illumina used for 23 and me.” OK... so you mean to tell me you don’t think Google Cloud, AWS, or Azure’s AI and analytics stacks can do the same shit? Oh, and if that’s the only game in town how does Ancestry.com and Nat Geo seem to do just fine with their DNA and family tree tech?

“We’re the only ones who can have this data or can get it” ... sure.

It’s just a typically smug Silicon Valley type sales pitch to raise funding and gain confidence from investors. Cannabis has a massive white space with tons of rev opportunity, so any company is going to try and establish themselves as a major players however they can. And not everything they’re aspiring to do is all that bad.

I totally get what you’re saying about the other ppl feeling fucked over, etc., and I’m sure its justified. All I’m saying is I wouldn’t get too worked up thinking they’re going to own all of cannabis. Not in a million fucking years.

As long as the don't try to copy established chemovars, that could get ugly.

You mean like these ones? Lol

7E5A3C4E-76EE-4D2D-A322-25FA8FA40846.jpeg
5D3BB305-AD26-4DCC-88AA-480368A616CE.jpeg

That’s my point...

“We have a genome sequencing array from illumina used for 23 and me.” OK... so you mean to tell me you don’t think Google Cloud, AWS, or Azure’s AI and analytics stacks can do the same shit? Oh, and if that’s the only game in town how does Ancestry.com and Nat Geo seem to do just fine with their DNA and family tree tech?

“We’re the only ones who can have this data or can get it” ... sure.

It’s just a typically smug Silicon Valley type sales pitch to raise funding and gain confidence from investors. Cannabis has a massive white space with tons of rev opportunity, so any company is going to try and establish themselves as a major players however they can. And not everything they’re aspiring to do is all that bad.

I totally get what you’re saying about the other ppl feeling fucked over, etc., and I’m sure its justified. All I’m saying is I wouldn’t get too worked up thinking they’re going to own all of cannabis. Not in a million fucking years.

I don’t disagree with you. But Phylos will be swallowed by Monsanto or someone like them immediately upon the US federally legalizing cannabis. Think genetically modified weed, not necessarily for the better. Curing people doesn’t make any of them any money.

Back
Top Bottom