Crawdaddy's Fall 2013 TopLED COB Grow

Your soil ladies are beautiful! :yummy:

It seems we have somewhat opposite strengths. :blalol: You would understand if you could see my soil plants. They are looking better, but they've had a rough year. :rofl:

That is a large swing awfully fast for such a small plant. If you can put the thing over a drain (or just keep emptying it), I would start by flushing a LOT. That looks like a ~6-7g bucket, so I would put 10-15g through it. Every res change, I would flush it again until it starts being stable. I use the same kind of rock and the system can take a little time to "settle". I flush mine with just tap as I can only store enough RO for my res change.

Use that swing too. If you know your res ph is rising, shoot a little low when making adjustments. I think you were on track not adjusting the new res when it came out to 5.5ph. Most nutrient systems include things to help buffer ph. I know my GH Flora does, and I know others do. If possible, never adjust a fresh reservoir. If it's really off, well... do what you gotta do. :blalol:

Do you plan to do a 'living' res or sterile? Big ph swings can indicate things are 'alive' down there. I run my system sterile, so I use DM Zone, but I don't think many folks use it with DWC.

If you see it growing, then the roots are probably out of the rockwool and into the hydroton. I don't know that device. Can you see the roots inside? What do they look like?

I know I looked at your journal to watch the COB test, but it wasn't in my list. :hmmmm:
All caught up now and this should put it on my sub list.

Do you plan to do a 'living' res or sterile? Big ph swings can indicate things are 'alive' down there. I run my system sterile, so I use DM Zone, but I don't think many folks use it with DWC.

If you see it growing, then the roots are probably out of the rockwool and into the hydroton. I don't know that device. Can you see the roots inside? What do they look like?

I know I looked at your journal to watch the COB test, but it wasn't in my list. :hmmmm:
All caught up now and this should put it on my sub list.

Thanks for the tips, hydro is not my game..yet.

What do you mean by living or sterile?

Cant see roots till they start coming out of top 2 gallon res that filled with hydroton. Holes in the bottom of it for roots to grow into res. nothign there yet.

I think the plant is doing better, tips on new leaves are just slightly burnt, not curling like before. My pH is seeming to be a bit more stable too. I just been periodically adding drop or 2 of ph Down.

The COB is doing much better this run, I really screwed the pooch last run. Update on 5 plants underneath it this weekend.

Lovely stuff man :)

Wik my power thing my ph goes up by about .2 over 24 hours atm, was a lot more variable at the start though, and I am losing a lot of water through evaporation atm, gotta love 120+ days with near 0 humidity for 4 days straight.

I use organic nutes in hydro with daily fluctuations mostly down on a daily basis
so I check and adjust daily
Happy Weednsday Crawdad :thumb:

Thanks Chronic, Happy THCThusday now :)

Having to adjust pH 1-2 times a day but not going up as much, plant is looking healthier and seems to be growing faster, just slight burnt tips on new leaves.

Another question for hydro people....in the feeding chart for GH Flora nutes that I am using it has ppm range for each week, well when I add the recommended ferts to a gallon of water my PPM is barely half what they say as range. Is this because I am using RO water? (starts out at ~8-10 PPM) And should I add nutes to get PPM to that range or not worry about PPM?

Also If I am adding about 2 mL of pH down a day, is this ok for plant as long as I change res at least once a week? it is 2 gallon res.

Thanks Chronic, Happy THCThusday now :)

Having to adjust pH 1-2 times a day but not going up as much, plant is looking healthier and seems to be growing faster, just slight burnt tips on new leaves.

Another question for hydro people....in the feeding chart for GH Flora nutes that I am using it has ppm range for each week, well when I add the recommended ferts to a gallon of water my PPM is barely half what they say as range. Is this because I am using RO water? (starts out at ~8-10 PPM) And should I add nutes to get PPM to that range or not worry about PPM?

Also If I am adding about 2 mL of pH down a day, is this ok for plant as long as I change res at least once a week? it is 2 gallon res.

The ph down is not a concern with weekly changes happening. I am not sure how GH nutes work, but when I first mixed up the DM nutes I am using right now I noticed the same thing, it's a buffer for additives and the salts they contain. Put your additives in first, add nutes to measure, test ppm, add nutes to bring it up to required or water to lower it. Make sure you give it a good mix at every stage of adding stuff.

The ph down is not a concern with weekly changes happening. I am not sure how GH nutes work, but when I first mixed up the DM nutes I am using right now I noticed the same thing, it's a buffer for additives and the salts they contain. Put your additives in first, add nutes to measure, test ppm, add nutes to bring it up to required or water to lower it. Make sure you give it a good mix at every stage of adding stuff.

Thanks man good to know, I only using a few drops couple timesa day, will change res in next few days.

Plant is looking better.

I clean the buckets and change the res weekly
add ph up mixed with water almost daily if not daily right now only on 3 buckets
but as soon as ogk gets bigger ill have to do that one too
I don't notice it too much till the plants start getting bigger
at least the feed chart for what im using just tells my how much ml not ppm's
is there a notation somewhere about your starting ppm's I figure they would have to think a lot of people use different water
Happy Thurweed day Crawdad :thumb:

I clean the buckets and change the res weekly
add ph up mixed with water almost daily if not daily right now only on 3 buckets
but as soon as ogk gets bigger ill have to do that one too
I don't notice it too much till the plants start getting bigger
at least the feed chart for what im using just tells my how much ml not ppm's
is there a notation somewhere about your starting ppm's I figure they would have to think a lot of people use different water
Happy Thurweed day Crawdad :thumb:

Nope no starting point for PPM, the plant is looking healthier and growing so think I on the right track. Will post picture when I get home. all the plants need to come out of the tent anyhow for some general cleaning up of old leaves and closer inspection. Probably get a mighty wash spray too. Got to keep those mites down.

Looking really sweet as usual my friend. Loving the LST :)

Thanks. yea I am experimenting on that mom. I think i may let my other plants grow pretty much au natural. My thinking is want to see how they grow normally, then i can see what characteristics I want to bring out with LST later once I learn each strains behavior. E.G. with the Hawaiian Snow I am learning its branching pattern in flower, and it may not be conducive to normal trianing methods. I am starting to think the best thing may be to grow it tall with no training, then chopping in half. Thinking may end up with big bottom half of plant bush. Just some random thoughts.

Here is a shot of the Hawaiian Snow now and then from about 3-5 days back...

DSCN11287.JPG
DSCN11066.JPG

Hard to tell cause pics from different direction and zoom, but she is much healhier now, pH being a lot more stable, but still going up slowly, I normally check it and it 5.8-6.2 now and I ph down and it back to 5.5.-5.8. And within about 6-12 hours goes up a little again. Going to do a res change tomorrow and wash it out again, still some hydroton dust washing out I think. and maybe I see some roots coming out, shall see

Also just planted two seeds my g/f got me for my birthday a few weeks back. One each of Barneys farm Crimea Blue and Vanilla Kush. Here are descriptions. I want to see how they go because supposedly short flower strain so I can grow outdoor and finish by end of September here. So I might use clones from them to grow my summer plants if turn out well.

Crimea Blue

Cannabis Cup Indica 2007.

Crimea Blue
By crossing the popular, fruity-tasting Blueberry strain with the earthy spiciness of a hardy Crimean hash plant, Barney's Farm has created a new flavor sensation that's easy to tend. This fast flowering plant grows short and thick, producing above average yields of large, fluffy colas. Ideal for both SOG and ScrOG growing systems. The rewards far outweigh the required gardening efforts: the flavors of lemon peel and rosemary, followed by a long-lasting, psychoactive high.
information
type: indica dominant
yield: 450gr/m2
height: 55-65cm
flower time: 50-55 days
harvest time: mid/end september
thc: 18.5%
cbd: 1.4%
genetics: afghanistan/pakistan

Vanilla Kush

Cannabis Cup Winner 2009.

Vanilla Kush
This incredible new Indica-dominant strain is one of the most fragrant, full-flavored and potent we've ever offered. The intense aromas from large, dense colas — heavily flecked with red and gold trichromes — bring to mind wild vanilla and lavender, accented with lemon and orange peel. Once lit, the floral and herbal aromas become more concentrated and the smoke offers sweet, multi-dimensional flavors. The strong, long lasting high allows the mind to shift down a gear as muscle tension eases.

information
type: indica dominant
yield: 600gr/m2
height: 60-70cm
flower time: 60-65 days
harvest time: end september
thc: 22%
cbd: 1.2%
genetics: kashmir/afghan kush

Yeah that new growth on top looks super healthy. I love pulling the medium pot out to check the roots but I always worry I'm going to damage them somehow when I put it back in the reservoir :)

Yea I would love to, but no roots yet :( At least not sticking out bottom, kinda surprised figured I see some poking out by now.

No picture updates for next few days, battery died on camera, ordered new rechargeable replacement, be here in few days.

Back
Top Bottom