PeeJay's Perpetual Porta-Scrog Party

It's day 11 of flowering. The porta-SCRoGs are working well. Even though the is tent maxed out it's easy to rotate the plants with all of them in there. Watering is not that difficult. I just spread the canopy and put the spout of the watering can through the screen which is only 6" above the soil. If the screens were higher I think watering would be more problematic. It is a bit of a workout removing the plants in their 10 gallon pots for inspection, but very doable. As they add bud weight it may become more problematic to take them out. I did break one branch on the Panama today when I was dragging it out of the tent but there are so many tops it wasn't upsetting.

For this update there are three pictures of each plant. One from the top down taken while standing on a milk crate, a budlet shot, and a side view. I probably need to clean up some of the lower leaves that are withering due to no light penetration. Should have done that today when I had them out. Oh well. I have been doing some light defol in the top of the canopy but nothing excessive. Humidity is not a problem, often as low as 15% but mostly around 30. I subscribe to the notion that defol is best when there are high humidity and airflow problems so I haven't been taking leafs off by the ton.

The first plant we'll look at is the wonky more purple Chitral.

20151229_095613.jpg

20151229_100202.jpg

20151229_102302.jpg

And here is the more green Chitral pheno.

20151229_103706.jpg

20151229_103731.jpg

20151229_104202.jpg

Because these plants are both clones taken from flowering plants they just aren't quite right. The wonky one has very thin woody stems and will probably end up a marionette. It has difficulty standing up straight even with no bud weight on it... The more green pheno stretched less than the purple one. In fact, it stretched less than any other plant. It also has thin woody branches. The two out in the greenhouse this fall did not have thin woody stems at all. Here are pictures of them - more purple pheno first.

20151010_094529.jpg

20151010_094505.jpg

Both are showing early purple and frost.

The clones were taken as a hedge if my seed making project failed, and fail it did! Still not sure how I screwed that up... In contrast the Panama clone was taken at the same time but because it was a couple of weeks behind the Chitrals going into flower it didn't do the crazy reveg dance. I'm really happy with how the Panama is looking.

20151229_105252.jpg

20151229_105320.jpg

20151229_105746.jpg

As you can see it has much more robust stem structure than the Chitrals. It stretched about the same as the wonky Chitral - I thought it would stretch more being all sativa. The Panama likes being SCRoGed.

Golden Lemon is cracking!

20151229_110319.jpg

20151229_110441.jpg

20151229_110553.jpg

This strain is an F1 hybrid of Jew Gold (aka Kosher Kush) and Lemon Skunk. Although it is supposedly mostly indica it has a more sativa leaf structure and stretched aggressively since the flip to 12/12 about 20 days ago. It's a real stinker with a sharp lemon aroma. It might be fun to grow one out as a monster in the disposable diaper greenhouse next summer if I like the smoke.

The plants get a treat each watering and have all had a top dressing, a taste of 2-3-1 fishy ferts, and a Seacom PGR soil drench since going on a flowering light schedule. I'm watering heavily every 5-6 days. I'm very happy with the Mars II 1200w light. It's plenty for a 4x4 tent. The light is ~ 25" above the tallest branches and I may raise it a bit more. Here is a picture of all the plants back in the tent.

20151229_112757.jpg

Awesome plants bro. :morenutes:
Your canopy work is unimpeachable. :nicethread:

Just returned from another five days away. December and the holidays were like a ride down the rapids and it's nice to know I'm now floating in calm waters. The plants have been doing fine with a once every five or six days watering schedule. I was thinking I'd drag them all out of the tent and make big update this afternoon but I'm enjoying the peace and quiet and being lazy too much. It can wait until tomorrow.

Here is a quick burple light picture of the tent, though.

20160104_133228.jpg

High Denise :passitleft:

I'm not very good at being lazy apparently. Besides, tending the garden is relaxing in it's own right so I pulled everyone out of the tent for a close look. Day 18 of flower.

Golden Lemon is Plantzilla. This plant is going bonkers, stacking nicely, and making resin.

20160104_142320.jpg

20160104_142359.jpg

20160104_142446.jpg

20160104_143245.jpg

20160104_143308.jpg

20160104_142752.jpg

Panama is beautiful, also stacking well and making trichs.

20160104_143625.jpg

20160104_143646.jpg

20160104_143721.jpg

20160104_143736.jpg

20160104_144117.jpg

20160104_145035.jpg

Wonky Chitral is STILL sending out disfigured leaves.

20160104_145539.jpg

20160104_145845.jpg

20160104_145616.jpg

The Green Chitral pheno is short but healthy.

20160104_150142.jpg

20160104_150157.jpg

20160104_150231.jpg

And here they all are crammed back into the tent.

20160104_150727.jpg

Every one of these strains has a fruity aroma. It smells so sweet when I open the tent!

Thanks Canna. I would love to do a straight-up grow. Nine 3 gallons in the 4x4 going straight up with a short veg... Unfortunately that would be WAY over my plant count. As it stands I need to max out the 4x4 weather it's one plant or four plants. I spent a few weeks late this summer where I had 7 in flower at once (5 in the greenhouse and 2 indoors.) I also exceeded my plant count when I had 18 seedlings at once to select Panama and Chitral genetics. I'm only allowed four plants in flower at a time and feel more comfortable when I don't stray from the rules.

So much depends on genetics. You can get great yields going straight up but a lot depends on how readily the strain/pheno branches. With some strains you end up with one big cola and that's it. With others you'll get a bunch more. Some strains will do great in a SCRoG, others won't like it much. The Chitrals are not doing nearly as well in the SCRoGs as the Panama and Golden Lemon are. I attribute that to them being reveg clones for the time being, but it may be that they just don't like screen training. They were certainly much happier when I let them go straight up in the greenhouse last summer.

In comparison the Panama was a super stretchy, unwieldy plant when I let it go straight up. It shot up to 7' tall like a rocket and was not a great yielder but has taken to screen training like a fish to water.

Peejay, your plant pics always make me smile and say 'oooo la la' and I am never easily impressed.....I have a wonky strain going as well...I was gifted a Darkstar/Amnesia cross that just produced such PITA growth habits in veg I said....."say WHAT?"

I put one into flower and it is now in week 5 and beauteous.....who knew.....

Finally just days away from harvesting the Darkstar and Blue Dream I have lusted after for so long....2 of the prettiest plants I have ever grown....oil making material and I am just thrilled....

Wishing you all the best in the new year 2016, PJ, and thank you for all you've shown me :thanks:

I would attribute it to being reveg clones. The one I have in the Scrog is a reveg clone, and it is wonky (as you call it) like yours. The one being LST'd is the same.
I don't think they are ever going to look normal, but if they produce a mass amount of bud....well I just don't give a rat on the aesthetics. LOL
Good point on which ones will just grow tall with a main cola. I would have to go back and analyze which of my strains would be best for it for sure. Outside with no LST was totally different than trying it indoors, but now I can get away with that.

Thanks Shawnee :circle-of-love:

Canna, Top Gal has a nice evergreen tree shaped structure and would be a great plant to grow straight up. You didn't have to slap it around to get nice branched structure at all.

Thanks Shawnee :circle-of-love:

Canna, Top Gal has a nice evergreen tree shaped structure and would be a great plant to grow straight up. You didn't have to slap it around to get nice branched structure at all.

Yeah, she did have a nice structure. Problem is...those two reveg clones are her...all that's left of her. LOL So I will try to take nice clones from those at some point and see how they grow.

There are several options for the next flower run in the tent. I can feed plants in as the others are harvested. The Chtiral is a fast finisher and will be harvested ~ 3 weeks before the Golden Lemon and Panama. This sort of ties in with what I'm saying to Canna. I'm really thinking that the next flower run in the tent will also be a SCRoGed four plant run, but that it will likely be four clones from the same plant. A big haul of all the same... I think I'll hold the line, empty the grow space, and put four of the same in there all at once.

Why? Well, then they will all be on the level if you were. I currently have 7 strains/phenos available to medicate with and that is plenty. I won't run out of any of them soon. I've also been able to teach a bunch of AARP and med card carrying friends how to grow first rate organic cannabis in a local network. That means we can swap - greatly increasing available diversity. It's so much easier to teach folks how to grow the good stuff in person than in a forum environment. None of my compatriots read forums that I know of. They browse the seedbanks. Some get clones from others. The dirt I help them make hooks up the plants. There will be another giant dirt mixing operation soon where an ever increasing number of old farts will share the cost and we'll mix 4-5 yards of dirt. Some of the team are not so well but those of us with a stout constitution will deliver the mix.

The whole thing is so easy compared to forum chaos where there are so many methods and strains in the mix that it gets rather confusing. 2016 is the year of getting folks to grow one or two strains well knowing they can count on diversity from others who are growing one or two other strains well and will swap. Sort of an old fart informal med COOP. That is my 2016 pipe dream at any rate.

How does this tie into what Canna was saying about growing straight up? It is related because if she finds a strain that busts growing straight up then she can grow a bunch of it very successfully. The more she grows it the better it will get as she familiarizes with it. If Canna grows several strains/phenos at once that way, some will do well and others, not so much. However, if she grows a mess of cloned plants all at once then they will all behave in relatively the same way. If Canna tries to grow a diverse group of strains/phenos the same way it gets complicated in a hurry. Different feeding, watering, and growth rate perimeters impinge on overall yield and quality. My current SCRoG is a case in point.

The two Chitrals are going to get buried. The Golden Lemon and Panama are going to bury them in the tent. I'm not too worried about it - I have plenty of smoke and the overall yield is going to be good. If there were four Golden Lemon or four Panama in the tent it would be redonculous! If there were four of the same Chitral in there it would also be super easy and big.

I have no idea if what I'm saying is making any sense to those who suffer through reading it...

There is an Andy Grifith Show where Aunt Bea opens a restaurant. If you can find it and watch it then you may get what I'm saying. It will connect the dots.

Luff ya all! - PJ

what kind of light are you using??
and beautiful garden you got going on!!
ps do you start from seed, maybe i should better read your journal:cheesygrinsmiley:

This run is three clones, Veinz, the two Paki and the Panama. The Golden Lemons was started from seeds. They are under a Mars II 1200.

Been away again since last Thursday morning. I'm going to udate in a few.

Back
Top Bottom