Soil or Hydro? Hydro
Size of light? 400w HPS
Is it aircooled? Yes
Temp of Room/cab? 80F
RH of Room/cab? 24%
PH of media or res? 5.8 +/-3
Any Pests ? Sometimes
How often are you watering? 2x / day
Type and strength of ferts used? Straight water for now.

I've actually started letting the temps get up to the mid nineties because of the CO2 enrichment in this cab. As air cools less and less CO2 becomes available. The adverse is true for warmer temps. So, when I hear the high temp alarm (98) I open the doors for a while, and let some fresh, cool, air in. I'm not too worried about high concentrations of CO2, since the emitters are directly around the plants, and under the leaves where the respiration/transpiration happens. The fans do a nice job of circulating the top air, but underneath the canopy/screen it stays fairly still and gets pretty rich in CO2 under there. Thus opening the doors isn't too much of an issue for me.

The lights come on at 5pm, and it takes til around midnight to 1am to get really warm in there. I open the doors, take a nap, and close them again at about 5 or 6 in the morning, and the lights don't heat it up enough before they go off at 10am. So, they get good enrichment for the first 8 ours, and the last 4 or 5 hours throughout the night.

More musings and tweaks from last grow:

I think that I shall do the final flush for THREE WEEKS to a month before I pull them. The last grow, I flushed Side A for 3 weeks, and it smells and tastes of nothing but bud... it seems that hydroton holds onto the salts better than I originally though, and in a sense becomes a fertile bed for the roots. this is GREAT news on the money-for-nites front, but causes some changes in how I grow...

hehehe, imagine that... I grow personally as I grow cannabis... personally.

The Darly Project

All Things Cardboard:

1. The DIY Build - Testing - updated 02-26-2013
  2. First Test Run - Complete
  3. Second Test Run - Complete
  4. Third Test Run - Complete
  5. Third Test Run: Part Deux - Complete
  6. Fourth Test Run - Complete
  7. Fifth Test Run - IN PROGRESS

My How-to's:
  1. Cloning: Mad Simple - A Beginner's Guide
  2. Cloning Advanced Technique
  3. DIY Ebb & Flow
  4. DIY CO2 Generator

420 Contests:
  1. Logo Contest
  2. Monthy Contests

Other 420 Magazine Helpful Links:

Mind if I rant? I know some of you have see this one before, but I feel that it warrants a re-post.

One thing people seem to FAIL to recognize, and often quote the opposite of, revolves around one simple thing:

STRESS

All of you that are cheering, and fist pumping about not causing stress to a fragile plant such as cannabis really need to read the facts set forth in this article. Actually, plants are ENCOURAGED to grow taller/bigger/stronger when damage occurs. Some people say that this stresses the plant. OF COURSE IT DOES!! THAT'S THE POINT!! Stress is not always a bad thing, and should not necessarily be avoided.

Cannabis is in no way a fragile plant, and can endure a multitude of things before it dies. Actually, the only things that I have found that can kill this plant are these:

1. Malnutrition
  2. Lack of light
  3. Dehydration
  4. Infestation
  5. Infection

All of these can be easily avoided, and thus, unless you are severing the green plant from the roots, your plant should live and thrive and flourish after whatever stress you put it through. Now I'm not saying that you should go into your grow room and beat up your plants needlessly. That would add time to your grow while the plant responds to the stress and/or heals, and would mean less harvests per year if you are growing indoors. What I am saying, however, is that when you are training, grooming, pruning your plants, you are not causing harm to them, and therefore, contrary to the naysayers of this, you are not going to kill it.

I have seen some truly miraculous things happen with these plants. Short of light deprivation, starvation, or dehydration, they will overcome anything, and survive. They will actually become STRONGER specimens because of the stress induced.

Placing a fan in your grow stresses a plant and makes stronger stems, even though most people only do it to get good air circulation. The biggest reason most people forget (or don't know) is that blowing around in the wind is what CAUSES the big strong stems that hold up those huge colas.

When you snip/clip/prune/defoliate ANY plant, the plant responds by growing new stronger growth. It's a survival response. Anyone ever heard of TRUNK PIERCING?! I used to do it all the time in my larger grows. It causes very hearty growth in the veg stage because the plant believes it is constantly under attack and therefore grows stronger and stronger.

When leaves are pulled, in order to survive, the plant grows more of them (veg stage of course) to replace what was lost. If this did not happen, eventually the same stressor, repeated would strip the plant completely, robbing the plant of its only source of energy collection from light, and it would die.

To elaborate:

In general, when lateral growth is removed, vertical growth is the response. I believe to possibly get above whatever has been biting on the sides. Think of it like this. A deer comes along and munches the sides of a plant. The plant responds by growing taller, and adding weight to stems, and putting out more leaves/growth higher up. Eventually the deer would not be able to reach the vegetation it is after and wanders off in search of something else, thus the plant survives.

Adversely, when we top a plant, it responds by growing more girth and almost doubles it's lateral growth. In the deer scenario, eventually the deer will not be able to reach the inside of the plant where there is green, and the plant survives, and then can grow taller.

I know a lot of you are thinking, "A plant doesn't just make a decision to grow a certain way," and you'd be right- yet wrong. Of course there is no higher thought, but hormonal differences in plant tips, and stems, and trunks, are what causes this, and thus the response is the same. Do you make a decision to scar over when you are cut? Poor example of course, but it does sort of prove my point here. Cells do what they're told to do by the circumstances they are presented. Cause and effect. When you work out, are you not sore the day after? Do you not grow stronger because of the torn muscle tissue regrowing and increasing to withstand that stress later? Repeated stress of this sort can cause a dramatic change in muscle tone and bulk and strength of the tissue. The same thing can be observed in plants. Supercropping, for example...

Supercropping causes the plant to form a knuckle at the bend site, and causes another, more dramatic change. We'll get to that in a second. The knuckle is the plants way of protecting that area from further, or repeated damage. By doing this the plant becomes stronger, no? I've seen plants that had to be supercropped several times and still stood straight back up. The stem after the bend site was woody, rigid, and strong enough to support the massive growth in the flowers that follows a procedure such as this.

Now, the other change is that the "auxins" that control the terminal end growth, are transported to the highest point on a plant. When supercropped, that former highest point is now bent downward. As the auxins are redistributed, they go to the highest point, and voila! Lateral stem growth doubles while the bent-over main stem is repaired and stood back up. I don't know about you, but I'll take several big kolas vs. one big kola- wouldn't you?

Think about this when talking to others about stressing a plant... Don't offer blind, and unfounded advice. Look to nature, and see the miracle that is cannabis. This is truly a plant survivor in many ways, and I've seen my fair share of plants come back from "the brink" and flourish when others have said it was too stressed to survive.

:cheesygrinsmiley: Hey Jandre!

Cool to see you populating that cardboard with beauty. I would be happy to follow if I was worth a damn... instead I will stop in intermittently then fail to show till you are smoking it :cheesygrinsmiley:

Hi Old Friend. Boxing again are we? Cool!

Love your journals, you explain things step by step in language that everyone can understand.

Sorry, but like Buckshot I will be in and out with Jo in the hospital. I visit her allot.

May this be your best grow yet!
:bravo::popcorn::grinjoint:

:cheesygrinsmiley: Hey Jandre!

Cool to see you populating that cardboard with beauty. I would be happy to follow if I was worth a damn... instead I will stop in intermittently then fail to show till you are smoking it :cheesygrinsmiley:

Hi Old Friend. Boxing again are we? Cool!

Love your journals, you explain things step by step in language that everyone can understand.

Sorry, but like Buckshot I will be in and out with Jo in the hospital. I visit her allot.

May this be your best grow yet!
:bravo::popcorn::grinjoint:

hehehe, honestly guys, I just wanted you two to have the link so's ye could pop in the right place from time to time. I know ya both so well, that I'd be glad to see you both any time you wish. I know life gets in the way of online shit all the time, even I will be a rare visitor here. But at least this is where we can share our thoughts in relative peace, and get a respite from the hum drum every once in a while.

I'll be dropping in here and there. I love cardboard. Dude that was one of my main piece of building materials once upon a time. People use to think I was crazy picking up some large box every once in a while. That really dense cardboard last forever and even will take a coat of paint without hurting it's properties. Hell when I was in 'Collage' I use to modify my locker with all these different compartments make from it and duct tape. Till they did a shakedown and tore it up. Only to be rebuilt. Oh well life........
Keepem Green

Sub'd.

im not sure if you have read this before but when a plant has leaves eaten by insects or animals then it releases a chemical and this warns the other plants close to it that its under attack, this then encourages the other plants to produce more leaves and grow stronger,

their is a shrub that grows in the US on the side of the road that produces high levels of this certain chemical when its attacked or eaten by insects or animals, they tested it on tobaco plants and when this bush was planted near to this tobaco and attacked this patch of tobaco grew the fastest compared with another area that was not under this test,

ill try and find the info i was reading as it tells you which chemical the plants release when their getting eaten, it basically tells the other plants their is a threat in the area, so in theory if you have more than one plant in the grow space and you defol on a regular basis then you should end up with plants that produce more growth. maybe thats why my plants get so damn bushy, i defol all the time and my plants certainly dont suffer,

just think what the plants deal with in the natural environment, strong winds, buds, animals etc etc, ive seen a grow vid of strain hunters where the growers stamp on their plants to make them bush out more, they just bend the plant over then stand on the stem and it produces a much bushier plant.

Back
Top Bottom