Herbies Desserts to Sweeten Your Day @ Otters

That's for me too! I'm conflicted, but after all this IS a grow that is to recognise the difference in training. Less small buds and more big buds is the game! I hope I can stay strong! 💪
Errr, I don't know Stone. With that bunch I'd sure be tempted to postpone that little experiment until "next" time! :)

may play here too! Next grow I may set up a ring around the top and water on a timer a cup or two at a time to keep the top more alive. Automation is a goal here. Getting close I think
I'll be curious to.see your ring setup. I tried a ring with lots of small holes drilled into it and it didn't disperse water very evenly....all went straight down around where the ring was but not out. Also tried a soaker house too with the same problem. I did see a green "base" a few years ago that sits on top of the soil with a maze matrix that disperses the water all around the pot. I'll see if I can find it again

I'll be curious to.see your ring setup. I tried a ring with lots of small holes drilled into it and it didn't disperse water very evenly....all went straight down around where the ring was but not out. Also tried a soaker house too with the same problem. I did see a green "base" a few years ago that sits on top of the soil with a maze matrix that disperses the water all around the pot. I'll see if I can find it again
Shouldn't matter all that much I would think because water disperses in a pyramid shape as it percolates down through the soil so even if it does start out in a narrow ring it'll get wider the deeper into the pot it falls.

Highya SO,

I love what the SIP's (and your meticulous care) are doing for your ladies! Those canopies are very nice. And the other two are growing pretty fast! That sometimes overwhelms me with how much has come out that needs trimming.
Less small buds and more big buds is the game!
That's the plan! Takes practice, but so worth it!! Fun to watch your grow!! Happy Smokin'

Thanks! I'll be looking for something. Didn't think of it that way!
Highya SO,

I love what the SIP's (and your meticulous care) are doing for your ladies! Those canopies are very nice. And the other two are growing pretty fast! That sometimes overwhelms me with how much has come out that needs trimming.

That's the plan! Takes practice, but so worth it!! Fun to watch your grow!! Happy Smokin'
Hi Bode!
These Fluxes, or Manifolds as more folks seem to know them as have surprised me! They grow with a real want for a close canopy and seem to be as full as can be!

I'm glad I tried it this run! It looks like a good start to flower! I hope I see what to do in two weeks when it's time to have the three week trim back. I think so.
Damn you have your hands full in there! Good thing the manifold in the other tent is a breeze. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Hey Shed! It's the opposite lately! The other tent has me in there every day adjusting several shoots to create the big girl she will be. :cheesygrinsmiley: With any luck! This one's been, open tent, feed cal/mag, make sure everyone's looking good and that's about it! Maybe adjust one for height. Whoda thunk! Breezin is fun!

Hey Mr. Otter :)
Do you do any defoliating before flipping to flower schedule?
I've always done it, but wondering if others think this is good or not so good to do. What's your thoughts?
Hi Lady C, I always do when I grow in pots. To an extreme really. I like how it takes away the work of trimming a lot of small bud. Small bud is good bud, but if I can choose, I go with bigger, and removing the lowers that don't get much light does improve the overall main buds in my opinion.
This particular grow being a manifold style and my first go at it, I let them go this time. My plan is to go all Edward Scissorhand at day 21 after flip on all but one of the Apple Bettys.

That Apple Betty will have the lowest shoots and larfy buds off and I'll let many of the branches stay to contrast the other Apple Betty that gets trimmed up tight with no lowers left at all.

So yes normally a few days before flip I did a good lower bud snipping, leaving leaves. Then at day 21 after flip whatever branch that didn't make the canopy got loped off and a check for additional buds I missed to take off. There's always some!

Hi Lady C, I always do when I grow in pots. To an extreme really. I like how it takes away the work of trimming a lot of small bud. Small bud is good bud, but if I can choose, I go with bigger, and removing the lowers that don't get much light does improve the overall main buds in my opinion.
This particular grow being a manifold style and my first go at it, I let them go this time. My plan is to go all Edward Scissorhand at day 21 after flip on all but one of the Apple Bettys.

That Apple Betty will have the lowest shoots and larfy buds off and I'll let many of the branches stay to contrast the other Apple Betty that gets trimmed up tight with no lowers left at all.

So yes normally a few days before flip I did a good lower bud snipping, leaving leaves. Then at day 21 after flip whatever branch that didn't make the canopy got loped off and a check for additional buds I missed to take off. There's always some!
Cool. I just did some larf snipping on a few. Will get the rest later or tomorrow. Plan to flip next Sunday.
Thanks!
Edward Scissorhands......what a vision. :rofl:

Cool. I just did some larf snipping on a few. Will get the rest later or tomorrow. Plan to flip next Sunday.
Thanks!
Edward Scissorhands......what a vision. :rofl:
Snippity do da!! Yeah, I like to trim them good! I was just down looking at them and with this new way I'll have to wait and see what comes off and what stays. Only 6 days post flip. It's fun to watch!

Stone you have all the Gals looking really nice!😍. There's a lotta lotta lot in there! Hehe you have some hard decisions.

My worms say they would love to come for dinner when you thin the ladies out🤣🤣🤣.

Great work so far, the canopies look amazing 👊.
Gee, you need to stop letting your worms look at your 420 feed. Probably driving them nuts!

Nice training Otter! Your girls are looking lush, and now you got them stretching to further keep you on your toes. Good work.
This is the fun part! I like getting all in there!
Stone you have all the Gals looking really nice!😍. There's a lotta lotta lot in there! Hehe you have some hard decisions.

My worms say they would love to come for dinner when you thin the ladies out🤣🤣🤣.

Great work so far, the canopies look amazing 👊.
IKR?! With the Apple Bettys being two phenos, they need to be looked at differently. The one out back is so stretchy and open with different heights, while the close one is tight and her lower shoots have come up to make a canopy with the 8 mains! Oi!
Banana Pudding and her 8 mains have that fantastic FIM action that I never can get when I want it! This one has turned into a beautiful ring of 13 if memory serves, all level as a board. The same thing happened to Mango Mousse! FIM city and gone to growing in a ring. My last plant to grow in a ring was Black Poisonberry and it yielded a dry pound!

Right from the start I think I saw less larfy growth to remove with this type of training. Branches will be the main objective I'm thinking when stretch ends. That makes it easy!
Two more weeks!

I like big buds and I won't deny! Last circle plant, black poisonberry, got 15.8 oz in there.
1714563763968.png

There's some low small bud I could have snipped I see there!

This is the fun part! I like getting all in there!

IKR?! With the Apple Bettys being two phenos, they need to be looked at differently. The one out back is so stretchy and open with different heights, while the close one is tight and her lower shoots have come up to make a canopy with the 8 mains! Oi!
Banana Pudding and her 8 mains have that fantastic FIM action that I never can get when I want it! This one has turned into a beautiful ring of 13 if memory serves, all level as a board. The same thing happened to Mango Mousse! FIM city and gone to growing in a ring. My last plant to grow in a ring was Black Poisonberry and it yielded a dry pound!

Right from the start I think I saw less larfy growth to remove with this type of training. Branches will be the main objective I'm thinking when stretch ends. That makes it easy!
Two more weeks!

I like big buds and I won't deny! Last circle plant, black poisonberry, got 15.8 oz in there.
1714563763968.png

There's some low small bud I could have snipped I see there!
That BB was a Beauty!😍

Hey Mr. Otter :)
Do you do any defoliating before flipping to flower schedule?
I've always done it, but wondering if others think this is good or not so good to do. What's your thoughts?

Perfect timing for this question. I heard a podcast about this so I checked out the study. Any leaf that is not receiving at least 200 ųmols of light won’t perform photosynthesis. It will continue to transpire though. So essentially you have leaves that are sucking up nutrients, and spitting out humidity, but aren’t doing anything for the grow itself, yet.

Now, this gets a bit tricky. Those leaves that aren’t photosynthesizing aren’t necessarily a bad thing. They’re holding a whole bunch of nutrients the plant can call on when it needs more. This is useful deep into flower. However, there’s a line to watch. If your airflow is poor and/or humidity is an issue, it may be more beneficial to trim off anything below 200 ųmols.

Outdoors this isn’t really an issue. The sun will hit any leaf that is exposed to it. Indoors though, with a beefy canopy, a lot of that light won’t penetrate to the container level. If you’re an organic grower, you will likely want to keep as many leaves as possible even if they aren’t photosynthesizing. If you’re using mineral salts, keeping nutrient sinks aren’t as important since you can just dose the plant with whatever it needs when it needs it.

This info gives the grower a standard and a measurement they can use to determine which leaves to take and which to keep instead of guessing.

Back
Top Bottom