I have a couple of cultivars that took a hit from a hermie gone wild in the tent one grow. It's a PITA but some of the best hits come after deseeding those buds! Enjoy harvest! They look great!
I never really went wild hunting for seeds. If I missed any breaking the buds up they were mostly smashed to pieces in the grinder. I never noticed any real difference in quality between seeded and unseeded buds.
I've only had one really heavily seeded plant, and all but one branch got stolen before it was truly ready.
Maybe I'll pop a couple of those seeds for this summer. Use the 12/12 for the first 10 days thing to determine sex.
Hindu Kush x Jamaican landrace.

Day 104
Flip 71
20240127_192056.jpg

Do si dos

Gelato

Looking really good Mel!! Really nice chunky monkeys! Happy Saturday!! 😎✌️

Fertilized or not, it's a beautiful plant. :love: :)

Do you think this is about the time some of the pollen hit the buds. :hmmmm: Around December 28, about a month ago.

1706454779453.jpeg
Thanks gwhunran!
No, I don't. Those stigmas aren't in the places the seeds are, and I think they'd be further along in development if they had started that long ago.
I've posted pics of those two tops all along, and there still aren't any seeds on either of them.
I did consider that possibility though. I even checked my journal from the last time I grew DSD and DSD #33, and they both started showing brown stigmas at about the same age.

Day 105
Flip 72
After 5 days of drying Do si dos #33 is showing between 28 and 33% on the wood moisture meter, so it'll probably be another day or two before she's ready to trim and jar.
20240128_194009.jpg

Do si dos

Gelato

Day 105
Flip 72
After 5 days of drying Do si dos #33 is showing between 28 and 33% on the wood moisture meter, so it'll probably be another day or two before she's ready to trim and jar.
20240128_194009.jpg

Do si dos

Gelato

some sweet looking bud that Gelato looks like its going to be super tasty

Day 106
Flip 73

Do si dos

Gelato

some sweet looking bud that Gelato looks like its going to be super tasty
Thanks con!
It's smelling like it will too.
It smells like grape soda!

Day 107
Flip 74
Last pics of Gelato.
I've included a pic of the usual 2 buds from the side.
I'll post pics of the seeds after I get them out. I'm not sure if I should leave them there through the dry or not, but I think I will.
The first one I found looks like it's starting to turn brown.
20240130_192722.jpg

Do si dos

Gelato

Fucking mint!
Thanks Tra!
You stick the needles right into the meat of a thick bud and read? What do you look for to tell you it's ready?
Sorry, I meant to answer this earlier.
That's what I thought at first, but I read what @LKABudMan said in one of his threads about testing the stem instead of the bud, and it sounded a lot easier than trying to test the bud itself.
He looks for about 15% moisture content, and IIRC he's found that it's pretty close to 60-62% in the Grove bags.
Incredible flowers. :love: :oops: I'm glad I asked for the Gelato seeds from Herbies. :cheesygrinsmiley: I planned on running them in 2025 but, your grow is making it hard to wait. :hmmmm::rolleyes:
Thanks gwhunran!
Do you have a schedule for your grows, aside from running longer flowering plants last?

Thanks gwhunran!
Do you have a schedule for your grows, aside from running longer flowering plants last?
Your welcome.

Not a written in stone schedule, but I think about what the breeder says about the strain, in terms of length of flower and stretch. Wide leaves or skinny leaves and how tall to grow them. Skinny leaves, grow them tall, fat leaves keep it short cause I usually end up growing them thick on the scrog and fat leaved plants don't put on much bud down deep in the plant. The skinny leaved Golden Tiger grew bud all the way down to the 1st screen.
When on the same schedule, I can leave the closure open between the grows. Ideally, I want to flip both grows close to the same time, so I can run one AC instead of two and the dehumidifier can be shared.
With all my preplanning, it rarely turns out exactly as planned, but with the exception of the Blueberry, I've gotten them all to harvest.
As of today, my planned grows for 2024 are:
MAC 1st
Peyote Gorilla 1st
Panama Bangi Haze 2nd
Purple Ghost Candy 2nd

That leaves me; Gelato, Blue Dream, Witches Wedding, and Kali Mist for untried new seeds. I've got a lot of other seeds but most are leftovers from other grows. After smoking a strain for a year, I'm usually ready to move on. I may reconsider the Acapulco Gold by Barneys Farm, grown in 2023. It's one of the best strains ever in terms of taste and the buzz is good too. :)

Day 107
Flip 74
Last pics of Gelato.
I've included a pic of the usual 2 buds from the side.
I'll post pics of the seeds after I get them out. I'm not sure if I should leave them there through the dry or not, but I think I will.
The first one I found looks like it's starting to turn brown.
20240130_192722.jpg

Do si dos

Gelato

Thanks Tra!

Sorry, I meant to answer this earlier.
That's what I thought at first, but I read what @LKABudMan said in one of his threads about testing the stem instead of the bud, and it sounded a lot easier than trying to test the bud itself.
He looks for about 15% moisture content, and IIRC he's found that it's pretty close to 60-62% in the Grove bags.

Thanks gwhunran!
Thanks! I have one and will try looking for that next run!
Plants are on fire man!

I used to stick it right in the bud and look for 11-12% moisture. I found that unreliable, though, especially with smaller or less-dense buds. I found through experimentation that when the stems are reading 14% then the buds are ready.

My wood moisture meter has a low setting that reads up to 15% and a high setting that reads over 15%. So I put it on the low setting and look for stems that read under 15%. I've heard people say you want the stems to snap. If the stems are snapping you've gone too far. The stems will break but are still pliable. The best indicator for me is that the smaller buds on the bottom of the stem will come right off if you bend them backwards.

Day 108
Flip 75
She looks so lonely in there.
I'm moving Black Sugar to keep her company now.

Do si dos

Not sure when she'll be ready, but it shouldn't be long now.

Your plants look like a zoo exhibit Mel, full of chunky monkeys! :yummy:
Thanks Stunger!
Your welcome.

Not a written in stone schedule, but I think about what the breeder says about the strain, in terms of length of flower and stretch. Wide leaves or skinny leaves and how tall to grow them. Skinny leaves, grow them tall, fat leaves keep it short cause I usually end up growing them thick on the scrog and fat leaved plants don't put on much bud down deep in the plant. The skinny leaved Golden Tiger grew bud all the way down to the 1st screen.
When on the same schedule, I can leave the closure open between the grows. Ideally, I want to flip both grows close to the same time, so I can run one AC instead of two and the dehumidifier can be shared.
With all my preplanning, it rarely turns out exactly as planned, but with the exception of the Blueberry, I've gotten them all to harvest.
As of today, my planned grows for 2024 are:
MAC 1st
Peyote Gorilla 1st
Panama Bangi Haze 2nd
Purple Ghost Candy 2nd

That leaves me; Gelato, Blue Dream, Witches Wedding, and Kali Mist for untried new seeds. I've got a lot of other seeds but most are leftovers from other grows. After smoking a strain for a year, I'm usually ready to move on. I may reconsider the Acapulco Gold by Barneys Farm, grown in 2023. It's one of the best strains ever in terms of taste and the buzz is good too. :)
I'm glad you've found one you like enough to run again!
Those others sound really good too. I liked the look of the Purple Ghost Candy when they came out with it, but I'm still working through a backlog of strains I haven't grown yet.
Thanks! I have one and will try looking for that next run!
Plants are on fire man!
Thanks Stone!
I like the idea of taking the guesswork out of deciding when to put them in the jar.
I used to stick it right in the bud and look for 11-12% moisture. I found that unreliable, though, especially with smaller or less-dense buds. I found through experimentation that when the stems are reading 14% then the buds are ready.

My wood moisture meter has a low setting that reads up to 15% and a high setting that reads over 15%. So I put it on the low setting and look for stems that read under 15%. I've heard people say you want the stems to snap. If the stems are snapping you've gone too far. The stems will break but are still pliable. The best indicator for me is that the smaller buds on the bottom of the stem will come right off if you bend them backwards.
Thanks for this BudMan!

Day 108
Flip 75
She looks so lonely in there.
I'm moving Black Sugar to keep her company now.

Do si dos

Not sure when she'll be ready, but it shouldn't be long now.

Thanks Stunger!

I'm glad you've found one you like enough to run again!
Those others sound really good too. I liked the look of the Purple Ghost Candy when they came out with it, but I'm still working through a backlog of strains I haven't grown yet.

Thanks Stone!
I like the idea of taking the guesswork out of deciding when to put them in the jar.

Thanks for this BudMan!
Looking damn sweet :goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom